Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Midjack posted:

Yes. You will get it for flights headed to the US from anywhere.

They haven't made me take my shoes off for any flight from Mexico City to the US recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've recently grown a beard and gotten a tan. How screwed am I going through pre-check next week?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

They haven't made me take my shoes off for any flight from Mexico City to the US recently.

Well holy poo poo, and we haven't seen any sudden urban renewal either! Good to hear the rear end in a top hat American security is maybe lightening up some.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sextro posted:

I've recently grown a beard and gotten a tan. How screwed am I going through pre-check next week?

I have a big stupid beard and in my experience TSA agents don't care in the slightest.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I bear an unnerving resemblance to Mohamed Atta in my passport photo, and have never been hassled.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Just had to try and make a 15 minute connection from A14 to F10 at MSP (complete opposite ends of the airport). Needless to say I missed that one, by 2 minutes. Thank god for doubles at the sky club.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Just had to try and make a 15 minute connection from A14 to F10 at MSP (complete opposite ends of the airport). Needless to say I missed that one, by 2 minutes. Thank god for doubles at the sky club.
I'm impressed you made it across in 17 minutes. How many baby strollers and geriatrics did you knock over?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sextro posted:

My license photo is 10 years old and has me beardless and without glasses. I currently have a full beard and always wear glasses when I fly.

Only time I've ever been bugged by TSA was when my wallet rubbed part of the state name off my license. You'll be fine.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
I seemed to get a lot more randomly-not-randomly searched when I was younger, with my black beard and swarthy olive skin.

Then again that correlated quite directly with "9/11 just happened" so there's that.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Global Entry questions, I'm traveling late next month with plenty of time before my flight to take care of the in-person interview portion of the application.

How long before my trip should I start the process? I've heard you have to do your interview within 2 weeks or something stupid. Is that true?

Once I've completed my in-person, how long until the cards are issued and whatnot? Assuming everything goes well. I'm a very boring person, so I suspect it'll be fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would allow two weeks to be safe.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FunOne posted:

Global Entry questions, I'm traveling late next month with plenty of time before my flight to take care of the in-person interview portion of the application.

How long before my trip should I start the process? I've heard you have to do your interview within 2 weeks or something stupid. Is that true?

Once I've completed my in-person, how long until the cards are issued and whatnot? Assuming everything goes well. I'm a very boring person, so I suspect it'll be fine.

My card was issued immediately but you don't use it at the Global Entry kiosks, you use your passport. It is more about you getting in to the system, I think, which could quite easily take two weeks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's also another form of government issued ID. I haven't actually used it for anything yet but it might come in handy at some point.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

MickeyFinn posted:

My card was issued immediately but you don't use it at the Global Entry kiosks, you use your passport. It is more about you getting in to the system, I think, which could quite easily take two weeks.

Well, its a 2 hour drive for me to head to the nearest office (at the airport), so I thought I'd just tack it on to the front of a trip to Europe. I was hoping that I could get it setup in short order so I could use it on the way back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

Well, its a 2 hour drive for me to head to the nearest office (at the airport), so I thought I'd just tack it on to the front of a trip to Europe. I was hoping that I could get it setup in short order so I could use it on the way back.

Don't count on it, but if it's going to take you that long to do it, I wouldn't make another trip. The immigration line will be less than four hours (unless you're at MIA hehe).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't count on it, but if it's going to take you that long to do it, I wouldn't make another trip. The immigration line will be less than four hours (unless you're at MIA hehe).

In and out of DFW, so far (knock on wood), hasn't taken more than a few minutes at immigration and customs.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FunOne posted:

You only need Global Entry to get in to the US and you don't need to do anything after the interview, that I remember, so you might have it when you fly back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fingers crossed, applied for my APEC card. It's as good as global entry in US/CANADA and I get SPECIAL LANE in East Asia :keke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivHgCeJgiI

Oh and only time you should clap after landing

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Supposed to get home at 11PM last night, wound up in GSP at 3AM. gently caress ExpressJet forever and for all time.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Mackieman posted:

Supposed to get home at 11PM last night, wound up in GSP at 3AM. gently caress ExpressJet forever and for all time.

Agreed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I finally got around to applying for TSA Precheck, and just printed my first boarding pass with precheck on it. :feelsgood:

(In case anyone is wondering why I'm printing a boarding pass in TYOOL 2015, it's because I love Windows Phone, but whatever development team at Delta was assigned to the Windows Phone Delta app would have been done better by a pack of arthritic rhesus monkeys.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're GM/PM I think you get a free drink coupon on your boarding pass if you print it at home.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're GM/PM I think you get a free drink coupon on your boarding pass if you print it at home.

I'll have to try this on Saturday before my flight to LAX. I haven't printed boarding passes in quite a while.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DJCobol posted:

I'll have to try this on Saturday before my flight to LAX. I haven't printed boarding passes in quite a while.

Make sure you print "with offers"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FunOne posted:

Make sure you print "with offers"

Goddamn, seriously? That's the secret? Sigh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless I'm doing things totally wrong, that disappeared when they went started economy comfort.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a recommended travel plug adapter? Don't need to do anything other than convert US prongs to other prongs. Also, prongs.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

Anyone have a recommended travel plug adapter? Don't need to do anything other than convert US prongs to other prongs. Also, prongs.

You can get one for about $5 on Amazon and it works just about anywhere in the world.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mackieman posted:

You can get one for about $5 on Amazon and it works just about anywhere in the world.

So, do you have a specific model to recommend?

Because I am aware that things can be purchased cheaply from Amazon.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Truly "universal" (which generally are just for Aus/EU/UK-type plugs despite saying 'universal') plug adapters are huge like xbox. Just buy the cheapest 3-pack on Amazon for wherever you're going.

Also, if you're going somewhere frequented by ignorant Americans, they may have universal plugs anyway.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My backpack bit the dust. Any good recommendations for travelling? I usually run 1-2 laptops, DC adapters, a small notebook, pens/pencils, cards, umbrella, water bottle, and a couple of other small items. Comfortable straps and non lisa frank esque designs are pluses.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Jam posted:

My backpack bit the dust. Any good recommendations for travelling? I usually run 1-2 laptops, DC adapters, a small notebook, pens/pencils, cards, umbrella, water bottle, and a couple of other small items. Comfortable straps and non lisa frank esque designs are pluses.

I alternate between this Jansport backpack and a Timbuk2 messenger bag depending on how much stuff I have to carry. I've had the Jansport for about 7 years now and its held up perfectly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Truly "universal" (which generally are just for Aus/EU/UK-type plugs despite saying 'universal') plug adapters are huge like xbox. Just buy the cheapest 3-pack on Amazon for wherever you're going.

Yeah, the universal ones seem good in theory, but in practice are a bit silly:

* They are twice as big as they need to be to handle all the sizes, despite people thinking they are "compact."
* Most of the size is to handle UK plugs.
* They support multiple input plugs formats, which isn't something most people need.
* They are actively bad for Euro plugs since the extra weight of the adapter tends to pull the plug out of the wall.

I use these instead now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084OPT8C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Haven't had to go to the UK lately but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I use a little Delta amenity kit bag to store the individual adapters for major plug types. I find that the universal adapters cover other outlets or do not fit in recessed outlets. They are stupid.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Counterpoint to buying the cheapest possible plug adapter: they can catch on fire if they're not made properly. I happily dropped $10 instead of $3 on some brand I'd heard of, and have not caught my hotel room on fire. YMMV, of course.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Make sure it has one or two USB ports rated at 1-2A for quickly charging phones. I bought a credit card size one in Asia with prongs that flip out but was pretty expensive and I've never seen one for sale since, seems Amazon doesn't have it either.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
2A or bust. Hopefully USB spec 3.1 C will make this concern a thing of the past

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How does the APEC card work for US Citizens? I mean practically since you still have to obtain a Chinese & Korean visa. In and out of HKG and Australia, maybe Japan and Singapore and South Korea, nothing else really scheduled.

So I'd just be paying 70 bucks to avoid lines at immigration?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

How does the APEC card work for US Citizens? I mean practically since you still have to obtain a Chinese & Korean visa. In and out of HKG and Australia, maybe Japan and Singapore and South Korea, nothing else really scheduled.

So I'd just be paying 70 bucks to avoid lines at immigration?

Pretty much, yeah. I also use mine for security lines right after immigration when leaving China. It also works for Mexico and a number of other Central and South American locales that may have bigass lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
APEC card rules. But a lot of times the special lane is the same lane as elders/kids/diplomatic staff so you might get yelled at from time to time