Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have managed to play a few games of Frostgrave now and a table full of terrain sure makes a huge difference. Under the rules as written there is certainly a huge advantage to wizards who use direct damage spells as far a leveling goes, but I guess you have to expose yourself to get line of sight on things? Game is really fun so far, certainly love that the spells tend to do neat things. Hopefully the expansion will add more cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Lots of terrain is definitely the way to go.

Had a 4 player game on Friday. Unbeknownst to me two of the players agreed to target me beforehand, I managed to tick off the last one all by myself by opening fire on him in turn 1. It was over quite fast.

Wizard's Eye gets cast, I run into cover and fail to cast Beauty, another player uses Push to shove me into the open, next turn I get a 19 roll Elemental bolt to the face. Ouch. Apprentice didn't do much better and the next few fight rolls were 20,19 and 20 for my opponent. One thief survived, because he ran off with the closest treasure. I lost 9 out of 10 models in 3 turns, but it was still fun.

Crappy cellphone pictures.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That's a nice papercraft set up. Elemental Bolt looks like a monster of a direct nuke spell, possibly best in the game from what I can tell.

So it seems this game uses "true model line of sight" rather than uniform assumed volume like WMH... should I be overmuch worried about people using short-folk (goblins and hobbits and poo poo) for "counts as" models having an unfair advantage, or does it even out with the fact that they conversely can't see over the same poo poo they can't be seen over?

E:

Gonna try this on some of my terrain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBl_eJFjAA

I have like infinity flight pegs from the lovely Star Trek game, should be able to use those.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 12, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Is there any reason not to implement a "simple LoS" to Frostgrave like they have in WMH or KoW?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Terrain blocks LOS in only a loose sense - each piece of intervening terrain adds +1 to hit, so that shouldn't be a problem. Unless the model is really close to a piece of terrain, you're going to be able to see it. Yeah, it might be a problem if a goblin is against a short wall, but he won't be able to target your models either, so I don't think it will be an issue.

If you want to get really nit-picky, you might institute a "Hiding" rule like in Necromunda - when in contact with a piece of terrain, you can declare the model is hiding, and it cannot be targeted. In addition, it cannot target enemy models until it comes out of hiding in the next phase.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got my hardcopy. Have people noticed any kind of particularly obvious strategies for picking/casting spells?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Finally got my hardcopy. Have people noticed any kind of particularly obvious strategies for picking/casting spells?
Direct damage spells are pretty great if you don't tweak the experience system. Experience for casting a spell plus experience for killing an enemy makes for a wizard that gains levels quite a bit faster than a support type wizard.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

My most useful in-game spells have been Wall, Leap, and Elemental Hammer.

I started by picking a model (Bradigus Thorle, the Runecarver) and a shtick (earth magic) and finding spells that really spoke to me both thematically and mechanically. Once I had 2-3 spells I knew for sure I wanted, I picked the school that would give me the best access, then filled in the gaps. I ended up with:

Elemental Bolt
Elemental Hammer
Wall
Leap
Slow
Animate Construct
Absorb Knowledge
Heal

Since then I've gotten Enchant Armor and something else I can't remember, both as random Grimoires. My wife and I are playing with a lot of house rules--mostly concerning NPC behavior--and having a great time.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Terrain blocks LOS in only a loose sense - each piece of intervening terrain adds +1 to hit, so that shouldn't be a problem. Unless the model is really close to a piece of terrain, you're going to be able to see it. Yeah, it might be a problem if a goblin is against a short wall, but he won't be able to target your models either, so I don't think it will be an issue.

If you want to get really nit-picky, you might institute a "Hiding" rule like in Necromunda - when in contact with a piece of terrain, you can declare the model is hiding, and it cannot be targeted. In addition, it cannot target enemy models until it comes out of hiding in the next phase.

My understanding has been that this game is a lot like Infinity in that it wants a lot of proper LoS-blocking terrain, such that clear shots even as short as 12" are quite scarce. Melee is risky, so the terrain has to keep a lid on the power of ranged attacks.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Sulecrist posted:

My most useful in-game spells have been Wall, Leap, and Elemental Hammer.

I started by picking a model (Bradigus Thorle, the Runecarver) and a shtick (earth magic) and finding spells that really spoke to me both thematically and mechanically. Once I had 2-3 spells I knew for sure I wanted, I picked the school that would give me the best access, then filled in the gaps. I ended up with:

Elemental Bolt
Elemental Hammer
Wall
Leap
Slow
Animate Construct
Absorb Knowledge
Heal

Since then I've gotten Enchant Armor and something else I can't remember, both as random Grimoires. My wife and I are playing with a lot of house rules--mostly concerning NPC behavior--and having a great time.

Isn't Bradigus on a large base? Are you using the Iron Kingdoms version? I think there are a lot of great Warmahordes pieces that would work for this game, especially the Mercenary stuff like Croes Cutthroats or the Halberdiers.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

jodai posted:

Isn't Bradigus on a large base? Are you using the Iron Kingdoms version? I think there are a lot of great Warmahordes pieces that would work for this game, especially the Mercenary stuff like Croes Cutthroats or the Halberdiers.

Large base all the way baby. Line of sight is drawn to his body, not the cloak, so it hasn't been a huge disadvantage.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ugh - I'm going through all of my stuff, and realizing that I really don't have any models suitable for this game. I've got some of the old Mordheim Empire plastics, but nothing suitable for an apprentice, rangers, thieves, knights, etc. Turns out I have more suited for wandering monsters than an actual Wiz-gang.

This sucks. :(

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ugh - I'm going through all of my stuff, and realizing that I really don't have any models suitable for this game. I've got some of the old Mordheim Empire plastics, but nothing suitable for an apprentice, rangers, thieves, knights, etc. Turns out I have more suited for wandering monsters than an actual Wiz-gang.

This sucks. :(

No proxies? I'm making an Orc frostgrave band raight nao

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'll probably be using elf minis. If I can settle on a drat spell selection, that is. My theme is Gotta Go Fast.

Chronomancer
  • Crumble
  • Fast Act
  • Fast Feet

Aligned:
  • Elemental Bolt
  • Awareness
  • Reveal Death

Neutral:
  • Leap
  • Animal Companion

I picked animal companion over zombie because animals are faster. That, and Reveal Death seems like good time-related tomfoolery.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

No proxies? I'm making an Orc frostgrave band raight nao

Not really - most of my O&G stuff is tied up in an army, so I can't really use it - well, i could, but it would be piecemeal and not very pretty.

I need to figure out what people are doing for warbands - what kinds of compositions are you guys working with? I figure I'll have at least one of every soldier class, and multiples of some as needed (thugs, for example.) I'm assuming I wouldn't need more then one tracker, treasure hunter, knight, templar, barbarian, or ranger? Gang cap is 10, including wizard and apprentice, right?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My personal criteria is "does it have speed 7+" with a secondary "does it have a ranged attack." But really, you can get multiples if that's what you want to do. They don't do anything for you out of game, so if all you want is a bunch of thugs then that's gold for you. You could even do a "regiment" - ten infantrymen with a wizard sergeant who just orders reality to drop and give him twenty now and then.

I do like the Gotta Catch Them All approach to the higher tier ones, though. Cap is 10 unless you pick the base (after your first game) that increases it to 11.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not really - most of my O&G stuff is tied up in an army, so I can't really use it - well, i could, but it would be piecemeal and not very pretty.

I need to figure out what people are doing for warbands - what kinds of compositions are you guys working with? I figure I'll have at least one of every soldier class, and multiples of some as needed (thugs, for example.) I'm assuming I wouldn't need more then one tracker, treasure hunter, knight, templar, barbarian, or ranger? Gang cap is 10, including wizard and apprentice, right?

An inn stronghold with a kennel would allow you a soldier and a puppy over the cap.

Bones are dirt cheap even at retail and wonderful for wizards and elite troops, and the soldier box has enough modular mans for 2 warbands.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I picked animal companion over zombie because animals are faster. That, and Reveal Death seems like good time-related tomfoolery.

Do note however that zombies don't count towards unit cap where animal companions do.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Apart from being ranged/not ranged, there doesn't seem like a huge difference in the types of soldier. The bonuses are pretty mild.

None of my grumpy ex-ham friends want to play skirmish games :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Proxies are super easy to figure out for this game. For example, here's my plan for a dwarf warband:

*Runepriest - wizard or apprentice depending on the model
*Dwarf warriors - built without shields for thugs, with great weapons for infantrymen, and with shields for men-at-arms
*Dwarf quarrelers - crossbowmen or maybe archers if I decide to use thunderers as crossbowmen
*Longbeard - Templar
*Ironbreaker - Knight
*Slayer - Barbarian
*Engineer - Marksman

Might use weapons crews as junior engineers if they look right. They'd work as thieves or treasure hunters. That covers everything but dogs, trackers, rangers, and apothecaries. Trackers/rangers could be represented by, well, a dwarf ranger. An apothecary would be extremely easy to make too if I want one. Just need a keg. :v:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 12, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MCPeePants posted:

Do note however that zombies don't count towards unit cap where animal companions do.

My composition is looking like one ranger, one tracker, one thief, five thugs, apprentice, animal companion anyway. That is something to look out for, though, and my casting roll on it isn't guaranteed in the least. The lure of a speed 10 leaping snow leopard is too strong for me.

And yes, five identical dudes. I expect them to die and be replaced by more unique ones. I'm a jerk.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

My composition is looking like one ranger, one tracker, one thief, five thugs, apprentice, animal companion anyway. That is something to look out for, though, and my casting roll on it isn't guaranteed in the least. The lure of a speed 10 leaping snow leopard is too strong for me.

And yes, five identical dudes. I expect them to die and be replaced by more unique ones. I'm a jerk seasoned Mordheim player.

ftfy

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

hm

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My packages from Noble Knight and Worldsmith industries have arrived. Combined with some bonesterrain , a snow themed battle mat and sundry already on hand.... It Begins.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 12, 2015

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just rooted through my big box of DnD minis and built a war band:

Wizard, apprentice, two warhounds, archer, treasure hunter, barbarian and infantry man. All I really need to do is base them the same and it would be a nice starter war band. I'm thinking witch as the primary school but I'm not sure.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And yes, five identical dudes. I expect them to die and be replaced by more unique ones. I'm a jerk.

I'm interested in your thief/thug mix. Since thieves trade fighting power for speed, I'm looking at them as my treasure porters, so I want to get them off the board as quickly as possible. Don't you think you'd be better served by 2/4 or even 3/3? With some mobility from the wizard you can really blitz them up for that sweet sweet treasure.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I mostly went for just one thief on the basis that Rangers and Trappers also have speed 7, and they can move and fire in the same turn. More thieves might be worth it, but I worry about lacking offensive power and meatshields. 2/4 might not be a bad plan, though.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Rulebook Heavily posted:

My personal criteria is "does it have speed 7+" with a secondary "does it have a ranged attack." But really, you can get multiples if that's what you want to do. They don't do anything for you out of game, so if all you want is a bunch of thugs then that's gold for you. You could even do a "regiment" - ten infantrymen with a wizard sergeant who just orders reality to drop and give him twenty now and then.

I do like the Gotta Catch Them All approach to the higher tier ones, though. Cap is 10 unless you pick the base (after your first game) that increases it to 11.

Now I want to make a warband in a militant style. The wizard is the commanding officer and the rest are soldiers of varying ranks, everyone in matching uniforms :allears:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The prevailing meta at my LGS is plenty of thugs and bolt spells. I think when they tried the game out, some thugs carried the day. I don't like thugs at all, they get +1 fight at the cost of 1" Move and 1 Willpower. Seems like a poo poo deal to me.

My son and I played a couple of the guys this weekend. Mmy son had a witch with a bear and a leopard pets, and I had a Thaumaturge. We killed their wizards in four rounds. My son offed extremely aggressive elementalist with a ranger and Wizard Eye+Bone Dart, and I took out the other wizard (who was bearing down on me) with Glow and an archer+crossbowman. It was nice to see that this game can have several different viable strategies. I think I may have convinced one of them about thief superiority.

Another fun tactic is locking down enemy wizards with cheap rear end mutts who can run 12" a turn.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thieves also have a -1 damage modifier, don't forget.

Kind of want three of them now, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

On those Amera pieces... are they a mold to create your own terrain or do you paint up the plastic? How does it hold up to regular use?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah don't underestimate that -1 Fight, it determines your likelihood to win combat, the damage you do, and your defense against shooting. Thieves are much worse in combat, and the additional Will probably won't come up that much since debuffs are likely to go after more expensive targets. They really are pure treasure runners, but treasure is kind of the name of the game?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yup. A thug will lose to anyone but a thief (or a dog) on average. So, 20 gold for a dude to loses to almost everyone but two, or 20 gold for a guy who loses to almost everyone but ties one guy and beats the poor dog...BUT, can run faster with treasure and has a bit better spell resistance. It isn't the biggest difference, but I like thieves.

That +1 will comes up when those wizards are gunning down your dudes running off with treasure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jodai posted:

On those Amera pieces... are they a mold to create your own terrain or do you paint up the plastic? How does it hold up to regular use?

You paint up the plastic. It's vacu-formed and hollow. It's a little light but it feels like it will hold up fine to anything short of crushing/smashing. I do kind of feel like gluing some washers to the bottom. I cut off the edge bits with a scissors now and they look much better. The detail is a little soft but not bad. It's a nice big area piece for a rock-bottom price, a nice multilevel ruin that covers a lot of table for less than the price of a simple corner wall ruin. I'll see how they paint up but I'll likely be picking up more.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 13, 2015

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
:getin:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Just saw those pop up on facebook, take my money!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Awesome! They would go great with the Chtulhu priests posted earlier. Any pictures of the sprues or models out yet?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh my god, yes.

QuasiQuack posted:

Now I want to make a warband in a militant style. The wizard is the commanding officer and the rest are soldiers of varying ranks, everyone in matching uniforms :allears:
The Black Company are working for a warlord nearby, Captain's told One-Eye & Goblin to grab Croaker and a bunch of volunteers for a little looting on the side.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nice. I ordered one of the soldier kit from the only stateside place that seems to have 'em. I might pick these up too if the sprues are cool and they're made available to us ignorant colonials.

babby's first warband.txt:

Saloth Sar, Necromancer W/ Staff
Mortanna, Apprentice Necromancer W/ Hand Weapon
Spells: Bones of the Earth, Raise Zombie, Steal Health, Fleet Feet, Strength, Will Power, Possess, Brew Potion
Gunther Gutripper, Barbarian
Gregor Gravedigger, Treasure Hunter
Finneous Fletcher, Archer
Acasia Amore, Thief
"Lefty" Lutdorf, Thug
Hamilton "Hambone" Fuller, Thug
Fang, War Hound

The idea is that the dross, even the zombie can be made into serious contenders if I stack all the buffs on them, and the Barbarian can just tear the world apart if I fully buff him. A bit light on range, I figure use terrain and Fleet to grab the treasure and peace out, or just take the fight right to them. Maybe dumb, IDK. Looking forward to trying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

I need some sprue images!!