Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I would like to see TSW go to Red Thread Games, so Ragnar can have his baby back. Even if they couldn't make huge changes to the game, they could add new story content to the MMO and create single player spin offs like dream fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Morglon posted:

Those are all horrible choices.

Bethesda TRIED to do a urban fantasy multiplayer thing.. I think it was called shadowlands? Didn't even make it to playable demo before it tanked.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Exmond posted:

Bethesda TRIED to do a urban fantasy multiplayer thing.. I think it was called shadowlands? Didn't even make it to playable demo before it tanked.

Shadow Realms. It was a Bioware project, not Bethesda.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm saying I want a single-player RPG sequel to Secret World. gently caress this MMO poo poo. Secret World suffered from severe genre dysphoria.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yes, a single player version would be nice but all the companies you mentioned make super bland games at best and fundamentally flawed once most of the time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh, have we already started to hate CDProjekt as well? Sorry, didn't get the memo. Witcher 3, what a piece of poo poo!

Anyway, I listed RPG developers that, y'know, could actually afford to buy an IP.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Morglon posted:

Yes, a single player version would be nice but all the companies you mentioned make super bland games at best and fundamentally flawed once most of the time.

Please enlighten us on who you feel makes good RPGs then, since you're discounting most of the most prestigious in the industry already.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

Please enlighten us on who you feel makes good RPGs then, since you're discounting most of the most prestigious in the industry already.

Red Thread Games, Ragnars company. Telltale might be able to do something interesting with the IP. Wasn't directed at me, but I felt like pitching in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

HughGRect posted:

Red Thread Games, Ragnars company. Telltale might be able to do something interesting with the IP. Wasn't directed at me, but I felt like pitching in.

They won't even be able to afford the Dreamfall IP.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The best single-player version would be made by Obsidian, who would get contracted to make it on a rushed schedule. Development would be cancelled 14 months in for no readily-apparent reason.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well Larian did manage to make a really good one with Divinity: Original Sin for example. Kind of on the fence about inXile since I really enjoyed Wasteland 2 but it had some pretty big drawbacks especially in the railroading department but I guess that's kind of the point when you're working for a military kind organization. Or you know, let Funcom keep it, they've been doing alright even though the gameplay is lacking. Also obviously Obsidian, they're pretty good with the storytelling.

All of those are better choices than anything Bioware has shat out in the last almost two decades now, Bethesda ever shat out and the Witcher isn't really anything I would consider providing meaningful choice or indeed any which is kind of huge for any kind of RPG.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Morglon posted:

and the Witcher isn't really anything I would consider providing meaningful choice or indeed any which is kind of huge for any kind of RPG.

Have... have you actually played any of the Witcher games? What exactly do you consider "meaningful"?

...what do you consider "any"?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I did and don't remember any choices at all in the first before I got into the city, my save corrupted and I refused to play all that again because of the tedious as gently caress combat. 2 I quit even earlier when the combat system required you to be clairvoyant to be prepared for what's ahead or just die and reload. I didn't touch 3 after that even though from what I hear it's better. I'll put it another way though, the story telling aspect I experienced was not good enough to get me to stick with it despite the massively flawed and downright tedious combat and I very well admit that what annoyed me about the game may have colored my perception of the good parts and I'm not outright saying the game has no merit, just that there is also a lot not to like about it that in fact many people do not like and in either case I wouldn't hold it up as a cornerstone of the genre even though I am well aware that some do.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
:bravo:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Morglon posted:

I did and don't remember any choices at all in the first before I got into the city, my save corrupted and I refused to play all that again because of the tedious as gently caress combat. 2 I quit even earlier when the combat system required you to be clairvoyant to be prepared for what's ahead or just die and reload. I didn't touch 3 after that even though from what I hear it's better. I'll put it another way though, the story telling aspect I experienced was not good enough to get me to stick with it despite the massively flawed and downright tedious combat and I very well admit that what annoyed me about the game may have colored my perception of the good parts and I'm not outright saying the game has no merit, just that there is also a lot not to like about it that in fact many people do not like and in either case I wouldn't hold it up as a cornerstone of the genre even though I am well aware that some do.

In other words, Witcher 3 is bland because Witcher 2 had bad combat?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
No, I said I didn't pick up 3 because I didn't like the first two which I feel is sensible. Either way I have written enough words about video games for a while so I'll stop now.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 13, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Witcher 3 is alright, I wouldn't raise it for great Kotor play since its basically just kotor dialogue with some kind fun fighting. There is an awful lot to do in the game as long as you don't dont mind a majority of it being the same. All these dialog games go really old with kotor, choices mean so little.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Witcher 3 has a narrative, but falls into "choices all get tallied at the end" nonsense. It's good at what it does but it is basically a super polished kotor.

Witcher 2, on the other hand, has what amounts to multiple completely divergent games inside it depending solely on player choices. Suggesting it's bland and lacks any such thing makes you a fool - regardless of how you feel about the rest of it. There isn't another game like it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Morglon is kind of silly. I suggest Morglon plays witcher 3.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, why'd they change the dudes face in the intro? He went from kind of ominous but potentially truthful to obviously the filth bad guy trying to trick you.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Haven't played since I9 and figured I'd roll through and try the new stuff.

Thoughts:

Changes to combat are nice, feels like healing got buffed a little to make passive heals/shields much more useful than they were

How does this game keep having the best quality voice work and music? The mood is always so perfect.

The love hotel detective is superbly funny in a lot of ways

AEGIS is still an utterly stupid and boring system that should have been scrapped not only in development, but also when they retooled combat

It feels like the Templars are a good group with hilariously inept leadership at the highest levels. Because the entire time it's very clear they picked the dumbest and most short-sighted allies in Kaidan

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Issue 12 is apparently going to come out sometime this week.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
Maybe the "Strategic Talks" is just a part of a new TSW ARG.

:suicide:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

revenance posted:

Maybe the "Strategic Talks" is just a part of a new TSW ARG.

:suicide:

Probably gonna get bought by the Russian guys who picked up SOE

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Issue 12 is apparently going to come out sometime this week.

That reminds me I need to spend bullion. I'll write a memo to do that tonight.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

That reminds me I need to spend bullion. I'll write a memo to do that tonight.

I somehow had 600 black marks. I got a lot of epipens!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Issue 12 releases tomorrow!

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?93247-August-20th-2015

I hope they at least put some story stuff into this issue, after seeing how awesome issue 9-11 was im looking forward to it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Will this be the update that finally lets me turn off the vaseline filter?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Patch Notes: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?93258-Issue-12-To-the-Dark-Tower-Below-Game-Update-1-12

quote:

NEW!
Daily Challenges: Enjoy many new challenges which update every day and week to reap powerful rewards which allow you to improve the best gear in the game even further!
New Token System: All tokens in the game have been combined and you now only need Black Bullion or Marks of the Pantheon.
Two Fresh Raids: The Bird of the Zero Point Pathogen (Flappy) and the Eidolon of the Outer Dark are now ten man Raids which can be done every three days.
Massive World Bosses: The final tier of the Lair system now lets you battle huge World Bosses in New England, Egypt and Transylvania.
Improved Social Window: It is now much easier to use the Social window to find groups for any activity in the game.

GENERAL
Tilty says...
Over the years we have added one too many currencies to the game, making things a little bit convoluted.
With this update, we re-evaluated the need for all those currencies and decided to combine most of the existing ones into two: Black Bullions and Marks of the Pantheons.
Most activities in the game will reward you with either currency, or both.
Vendors that will trade their special goods for those currencies can be found in all hubs.

A cap has been placed on the amount of Black Bullion a player can carry.
Marks of the Pantheon have been added. Players can earn a limited amount of this new currency per week, and can only carry up to a certain amount at any time.
Shortened the distance at which test dummies in the training rooms lose aggro to the player from 21m to 15m.
It is no longer possible to purchase the Signal Hunter title if you already have it.
The emote dance_hitman_lean will now work with the Shoes of Synchronicity.
The "/cabal remove" command will now accept a player name, and can be used to remove both online and offline players from a cabal.
It is no longer possible to delete a mail while it still has items attached.

GUI
Tilty says...
We've completely revamped the LFG window and increased its overall usefulness!
You will now be able to add a comment next to your entry. Its functionality has also been expanded beyond simply looking for dungeon or raid groups.
You can use the Social window to advertise any event you might be holding.
Check it out often, and if you find something you are interested in joining, simply meet-up or send a message to the person by right-clicking their name.

The Looking For Group UI has been overhauled into the Social UI.
Signing up through the Social UI now allows you to select an activity, location, and difficulty level in addition to Roles.
Signing up through the Social UI now allows you to add a comment up to 120 characters that will be displayed to other players.
The Social UI now displays name, roles, activity, location, and comment for players currently signed up.
Added Tabula Rasa as a location for social activities in the Social UI.
A filters button has been added to the Social UI to filter the results shown.
Players can filter results by activity and difficulty.
Players can update their entry in the Social UI without removing themselves from the listing by using the update button on an existing listing.
Meet Up has been added to the right click and player menu in the Social UI.
View Entry has been added to the right click and player menu in the Social UI.
View Entry in the Social UI can be used to show you additional information about an entry, including difficulty and full length comment.
The Social UI will no longer display entries for players who are on your ignore list.
The Social UI will now run a background search every 15 minutes and display how many players are signed up matching your filters in system chat.
Added a "Show Social Reminders" option under Notifications to enable or disable the 15 minute background search.
Added a new interface option under Advanced -> Privacy that blocks incoming group join requests.
Show Sign Up Notifications option has been split into Show Social Notifications and Show PvP Notifications.
Joining a team no longer prevents you from signing up for the Social UI, nor does it remove your listing if you are already signed up.
Requesting to join the party of someone in a full team on a raid will send the request to the group leader of the first team that has an open space.
Players signed up for the Dungeon activity will be automatically removed when their team size reaches 5.
Players signed up for the Raid activity will be automatically removed when their raid size reaches 10.
Added an overlay on the castbar of uninterruptable attacks.
Fixed an issue where swapped hotbar abilities would not visually enable or disable properly.
Fixed an issue where some abilities would not be disabled in the GUI when they were locked.
Updated the shop, tokens, world domination, and PvP scoreboard UIs with new token icons for black bullion and marks of the pantheon.
World Domination UI no longer displays tick based rewards for Fusang Projects.
Updated the rewards display in the World Domination UI to show new rewards.
Updated the rewards display in the PvP Scoreboard to show new rewards.
Fixed an issue where rewards would display incorrectly on the PvP Scoreboard.
Updated the Tokens UI to display caps, weekly gain, and weekly caps.
Removed dungeons tab from Lockouts UI.
Updated Agartha's minimap to reflect the recent growth.

Tilty says...
Issue #12 introduces a brand new feature: Challenges.
Completing them will grant you bonus rewards, so make sure you check out what new challenges are available every day and try to complete the ones you like.
The daily challenges will reset everyday at 10:00 GMT, and weekly challenges reset every Tuesday morning at the same time.

A new window has been added to display challenges. You can access this window from the top menu or by pressing shift+J.
Added a new get effect animation for when challenges are completed.
Added a new notification icon for when challenges are completed.
Added new icons for challenges in the Challenge Journal.
Added a new option under notifications to display or hide challenge completion notifications.
Added an option under General Interface Options to open the challenge journal on login if new challenges are available.
Added an option to show reminders periodically when there are unclaimed pending rewards.
Makeup selection box for the barber shop is now a static size. This will prevent it from falling off the top and bottom of the screen for players with lots of makeup options playing at low resolutions.
Fixed an issue where text could be cut off on the radio button selection UI.
The following windows will now remember their last position when opened:
Token UI
Lockout Timers UI
Pets UI
Cabal UI
Friends UI
Claim UI

ITEMS
All Venice items have been updated and converted to Custom items. They will now function just as their Custom counterparts for the purposes of upgrading.
The Contrivance vendor in the faction HQs will now sell a Contrivance upgrade toolkit which will allow a blue Contrivance to be upgraded to a purple one. This item costs 950 Black Bullion and requires Battle Rank 4 or higher to purchase.
Nightwatch Glyph toolkits have been added to the Nightwatch vendors.
Criterion Upgrade and Astral Fuse have been added to the Nightwatch vendors.
Weapons and Talismans bought from the PvP Vendors in faction hubs can now be disassembled.
The Deep Mystery Box has been updated to include the new Mark of the Pantheon.
Blue and Green signet items now describe how you can upgrade them by combining 10 of them.
Fixed an issue that threw a FIFO error message the second time players use the remuneration field in the same playfield.
The Multichromatic Cardinal is no longer able to be purchased if you have already learnt it.
Fixed an issue which caused groups which had formed into a raid to not receive Black Bullion in certain cases.
Removed the vendor who sold Epic gear from The Sunken Library in Venice. This vendor has been replaced by a Nightwatch Weapon Dealer and a Nightwatch Equipment Dealer.
Fixed an issue which caused the Auxiliary weapon (Mod) tooltip to not appear on Whips.
Black Bullion which drops in Lair or Nightmare camps has been changed to Uncommon rarity to allow groups to roll on them.

ACHIEVEMENTS
Reaping the Whirlwind achievements have received a new icon.
Rear Windows can once again be obtained.
Annalist now requires all The Black Signal lore from its specified categories.

MISSIONS
General

Updated several missions which did not award any tokens to now award Black Bullion.
The first mission of Issue 9, Issue 10, and Issue 11 are now visible in the game world, even if the Issue has not been purchased. These missions still require purchasing the relevant Issue.
Relocated several missions from the void and placed them into proper zone categories:
City of the Sun God - The Binding
City of the Sun God - The Black Pharaoh's Guard
Scorched Desert - O Tempora! O Mores!
Scorched Desert - A Time to Every Purpose
Scorched Desert - From Carthage to Cairo
Seoul - Rogue Agent, and its Templar counterpart To Catch a Thief
Kaidan - Nightmare in the Dream Palace
New York - Crossroad of the Worlds (and Revisited variant)
London - Harvesting the Sun (mission availability has not changed)
Agartha - Enter the Filth Phase 3 (mission availability has not changed)
Blue Mountain - Picking Up the Pieces
Blue Mountain - The House Always Wins
Blue Mountain - Ghosts and the Darkness
Savage Coast - Hell Hath No Vacancy
Carpathian Fangs - You Only Die Twice
Carpathian Fangs - Panic Room

Kingsmouth Town
Flame Away - It is no longer necessary to change zones or relog to be able to pick up Cans of gasoline after completing the mission.

Kaidan
Reduced the amount of Black Bullion gained when doing story missions in Kaidan for the first time. Instead, finishing the final story mission for issues 9 and 10 for the first time will now also reward a MkI Memory Expansion Module. Finishing the issue 11 story for the first time will award a MkII Memory Expansion Module.
The Pagans - The bounty has been removed from Aoi's head. She should no longer vanish from the zone.
Runaway Circus - No longer incorrectly displays as a Nightmare mission.

COMBAT
General

Most enemies now finish executing a current ability before they turn against a target they hate more.
Damage reduction effects which last until the next hit, such as Saving Grace, Fleeting Fortress, and Art of War, will now be triggered when any health is lost.

Elementalism
Updated the short description of Critical Control to correctly state that it increases critical rating.

Assault Rifles
Fixed an issue where Shot of Anima would not be treated as a resource consumer in some cases.
Fixed an issue where Anima Outbreak would not be treated as a resource consumer in some cases.

Pistols
Fixed an issue where Killer Flow could generate secondary weapon resources when not hitting a target.

Fists
Gore should now deal damage properly when having the duration refreshed rapidly by multiple attackers.
Hot Iron should now trigger for each tick of the Scarlet Arts channel that it is able to.

DUNGEONS AND RAIDS
General

The final bosses of Elite difficulty dungeons will now drop Black Bullion.
The final bosses of Nightmare difficulty dungeons will now drop Marks of the Pantheon.
Elite raid bosses will now drop Marks of the Pantheon.
Nightmare dungeons no longer have lockout timers.
Swapping AEGIS shields will no longer fail the Master Planner achievement.

The Polaris
Fixed issue that occasionally caused Haugbui Mother not to respawn after a team wipe.
Haugbui Mother will drop loot even when she's killed extremely fast.

Tilty says...
The Eidolon of the Outer Dark is no longer part of the Lair progression, we replaced him with the ability to summon new World Bosses.
Combining the Ritual Fragments (Head, Heart and Hand) will now reward you with Summoning Ritual Materials, which will grant you the ability to summon a World Boss either in New England, Egypt, or Transylvania.
Those world bosses will require the help of the entire zone to defeat and will reward every participants individually, as well as dropping additional epic rewards for the original summoners.

Eidolon of the Outer Dark
The Eidolon of the Outer Dark no longer requires a lair key to open the raid portal, or access loot.
The Eidolon of the Outer Dark has become more dangerous while Strength from Beyond is active.
The Eidolon of the Outer Dark no longer removes players from the anima well halfway through the fight.

Agartha Defiled
Agartha Defiled has returned! It may be accessed from a low branch in Agartha. This raid has been designed for 10 players.

The Penthouse
Filthy Amalgam's basic attack now does Physical damage. Additionally, its damage on Nightmare has been further tweaked.

SCENARIOS
General

The final bosses of Nightmare difficulty scenarios will now drop Marks of the Pantheon.

PVP
General

Significantly increased the overall power of the Equal Footing effect.
Black Bullion rewards in PvP Minigames and Fusang are now scaled based on the participants Faction Rank. The winning team members additionally win a Mark of the Pantheon.
Obsolete tokens are no longer awarded in PvP.
Distinctions of the Council have been removed, and will no longer be given out when increasing Battle Rank.
Battle Rank requirements have been added to the PvP Uniforms. These uniforms are available at the Contrivance Quartermaster.
Reduced the penetration mitigation provided by PvP Uniforms to 10% (was 20%).
The High-Powered Weaponry uniform has received the following changes:
Increased the damage reduction provided by the suit to 5% (was 2%).
Increased the penalty on heal, barrier, and leech effects provided by the suit to -15% (was -5%).
Increased the glance reduction bonus provided by the suit to 4% (was 3%).
Increased the damage bonus provided by the suit to 8% (was 5%).
The Reinforced Armour uniform has received the following changes:
Increased the penalty on heal, barrier, and leech effects provided by the suit to -15% (was -5%).
Increased the damage reduction effect provided by the suit to 10% (was 5%).
The Integrated Anima Conduits uniform has received the following change:
Increased the penalty to damage dealt provided by the suit to -10% (was -6%).

Fusang
Removed the tick based reward system from Fusang Projects. Instead, there is a new set of missions which can be taken from any Anima Well, Facility, or home base. These missions will change every 5 minutes and offer different activities to perform while in Fusang.
Removed the button that repairs the gate/turret around the outer facilities in Fusang Projects. The only way to repair the turret is now to take the facility it was guarding.
Added Pax rewards to all Fusang rotating missions.
Added Mark of the Pantheon reward to Complex Fusang rotating missions.
The Underdog mission is available only at the underdog custodian now.
Kill credit for the 'Defeat' missions is now awarded to anyone on the killing player's faction who is nearby the person killed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The only note that matters:

quote:

Haugbui Mother will drop loot even when she's killed extremely fast.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

They removed lockouts on NMs?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they're gone completely.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Unironically this.

I also saw that PvP gear's been converted to Custom gear. Hugh, I assume this would make you very happy if you didn't already have full customs.

Oh! And we can summon at least five or six world bosses with the current head/heart/hand supply, if we want to. This weekend might be the opportune time, though I'm stuck with my laptop and I can't remember how well it handled the anniversary golems. Might be better to just wait and see what they drop.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I managed to come in just under the cap for bullion so good for me. No idea what I'm gonna do with what I have left, don't think there are enough people around to actually do dungeon poo poo a bunch so solo poo poo would probably be a priority. Or do I focus on my AEGIS. So many choices so little difference.

I downloaded two mods that were supposed to give me a button to auto stack poo poo into my bank but that's not showing up, is anybody else having addon troubles or did I just gently caress it up somehwhere along the way?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What! Did they finally fixed the dungeon boss after 3 years!?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

I'm speechless. Like I don't even know what to say.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

I'm speechless. Like I don't even know what to say.

#FreeEvilBillMurray

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

#FreeEvilBillMurray

I feel like if they did I would play again. The fact I'm forbidden from voicing any comments about the game good or bad kind of killed my urge to keep grinding for pointless things like I was and then I got out of the habit of playing and now there's all that new content I can't be assed to play.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I did most of the original Tokyo release stuff when it came out (with a lot of help from Zepho) but the aegis stuff really killed my interest in Tokyo in general and I haven't logged in for months :effort:. I think I only have my aegis stuff at 1.2 or 1.3, what's the recommended way of dealing with it as little as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I picked this game up in a sale about a year ago and have just started playing. Any tips for absolute beginners?

• Locked thread