Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

All things in proximity to a Larroquette develop a sympathetic Larroquetteish appearance over time. All things in earshot of a Larroquette develop Larroquettettiesh follicle growth patterns. The onset of symptoms hastens with the intake of foodstuffs handled by a Larroquette. Fundraising for a cure went disastrously wrong and is now only furthering the transmission of Larroquetteopahty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I saw a guy with a Jonathan-ish beard, hair, and clothes combo last weekend at a farm stand and actually did a double take to make sure it wasn't him even though he wasn't nearly as tall as Jonathan and I live nowhere near California. Maybe he was a fan and I should have whispered in his ear about leaky boners.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

JackDarko posted:

I have a lot of recorded footage of the live show to upload after the episode goes up but my laughter is so obnoxious.

:negative:

Use the audio from the episode?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Use the audio from the episode?

Oh poo poo, that's going to require some editing that I don't know how to do, but i'm sure I can learn. I'm going to go for it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Just be aware that when other people have offered to put up their videos of the live events Seth has freaked about because "they already have someone doing that, professionally"...... even though we've never ended up seeing any of that footage.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
They can pull it down via DMCA if they so please. I don't trust the guys enough to ever follow through on putting poo poo up themselves

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

a starwar betamax posted:

Just be aware that when other people have offered to put up their videos of the live events Seth has freaked about because "they already have someone doing that, professionally"...... even though we've never ended up seeing any of that footage.

It will be released at the same time as The Day the Clown Cried.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

a starwar betamax posted:

Oh well that sucks, I thought it would be cool for people who live in areas their not likely to visit to see their live hilarity. I'll just make it private and show you guys I guess.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Anyone know how many weekly listeners they get?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the alpaca posted:

Anyone know how many weekly listeners they get?

The number I've seen thrown around is ~50k. Not sure what it's based on, but there's that.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Checked the Patreon for the first time in a couple of weeks - its just over 12k USD now.

Which is great, because the more it gets past 10k, the more confident I feel about them actually getting the 10k they need. 12k gives more elbow room for people cancelling, etc.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm sort of new to podcasts, but I've heard good things about Uhh Yeah Dude and i'm thinking about checking it out. One issue that I have though is that I am not into games or drama. Do you think this would be a good podcast for me?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

little munchkin posted:

Hello everyone, I'm sort of new to podcasts, but I've heard good things about Uhh Yeah Dude and i'm thinking about checking it out. One issue that I have though is that I am not into games or drama. Do you think this would be a good podcast for me?

Absolutely not

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's other name is Uhh Yeah Drama so you might want to back off

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

People often proffer the advice to save the drama for your mama, well this podcast has the highest level of mama involvement, so I'd check out now.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

People often proffer the advice to save the drama for your mama, well this podcast has the highest level of mama involvement, so I'd check out now.

I hope we get a new Marcia episode soon.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Anonymous Robot posted:

Having been to a live show I can say that a large portion of the UYD fanbase looks like Jonathan.

That's just how people on the west coast look... weird I know, but everyone here looks like that.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

oh for sure dawg

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

four sixty eight is out

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

little munchkin posted:

I am not into games or drama
If you can't handle this podcast at its worst, you don't deserve it at its best.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
So if you actually do the math on their patron page, the listed backers only adds up to a little over 9.5k! I think there are some legit crazies putting in like $500 monthly

Hace fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 12, 2015

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Hace posted:

So if you actually do the math on their patron page, the listed backers only add up to a little over 9.5k! I think there are some legit crazies putting in like $500 monthly

probably jonathan's dad

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

little munchkin posted:

Do you enjoy the scent of cinnamon and cum?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Matey posted:

probably jonathan's dad

Probably a combined donation from the LA Times, USA Today & Playboy, as they are the only pair out there in new media pushing the value of print editions to the near-youth of today.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Hace posted:

So if you actually do the math on their patron page, the listed backers only adds up to a little over 9.5k! I think there are some legit crazies putting in like $500 monthly

$12,035 from 1,205 patrons comes out to about $10 per person, which doesn't seem that crazy. Am I missing something?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Binowru posted:

$12,035 from 1,205 patrons comes out to about $10 per person, which doesn't seem that crazy. Am I missing something?

let my insane math skills blow you away

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Hace posted:

let my insane math skills blow you away

this all checks out except for the "or more" part

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah I think some dudes are legit laying down $500 a month, which is crazy

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
crazy awesome.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder how many rich single tech guys in LA are like yeah 500 whatever worth it probably three

I also wonder how many donations are coming from overseas. I know some reporter in nz loves them and managed to get a latenight news piece on them as the 'funniest guys ever'. Which I sort of agree with because they aren't exactly for everyone ever.

I can also testify that their humour translates well overseas. Although full of references to LA culture and American pop culture - even with a sneering attitude towards those who don't know it - the actual beats and punchlines are very universal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hace posted:

Yeah I think some dudes are legit laying down $500 a month, which is crazy

It's either that or an aggregate effect of all the people with "in-between" donations at lower tiers (e.g. $7.50/mo, $15/mo), etc.

Lampsacus posted:

I wonder how many rich single tech guys in LA are like yeah 500 whatever worth it probably three

I also wonder how many donations are coming from overseas. I know some reporter in nz loves them and managed to get a latenight news piece on them as the 'funniest guys ever'. Which I sort of agree with because they aren't exactly for everyone ever.

I can also testify that their humour translates well overseas. Although full of references to LA culture and American pop culture - even with a sneering attitude towards those who don't know it - the actual beats and punchlines are very universal.

The only person I've successfully gotten hooked on UYD is a Kiwi mate of mine. Not that other people haven't found it hilarious, but they just don't listen to podcasts full stop and UYD wasn't gonna make them start.

I hope they do a show in Australia someday, I'd fly to Sydney or Melbourne for that.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I also wonder how many donations are coming from overseas...

I can also testify that their humour translates well overseas...

I know a fair few people here in Australia that listen to UYD, and of that a good margin pledged.

US culture is so pervasive here, and our media and politics so quick to try and chase after the US that pretty much everything translates. When you've grown up with more US and British comedians, television, and film than that of your own country's, its hard for it not to.

Some things, like eating out for every meal come off as insane, but I get the impression that that's kind of crazy to Americans as well. I also find how culturally diverse the US is state to state to be really incredible.

The only jarring thing is how centralist/insular the US comes across in its media. I'm sure its a misrepresentation, just by virtue of mass consumer media being the worst, and that kind of generalization rarely being true of a country/people. But even switched on guys like Seth and Jonathan seem to have some pretty dated/incorrect/absent knowledge about other countries and their politics and culture.

It may just be confirmation bias anyway - I've definitely seen Australia on the receiving end of US confirmation bias when it comes to racism.

Australia is pretty racist tho, we literally have refugees in indefinite offshore and onshore "detention centres" at the moment. Children and pregnant women included. It is the greatest crime against humanity we as a nation have committed, and as a population permitted, in my lifetime. gently caress this country, if I ever am a rich man I'm going to New Zealand, which by then will probably also have been hosed by conservatives and boomers.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I know a fair few people here in Australia that listen to UYD, and of that a good margin pledged.

US culture is so pervasive here, and our media and politics so quick to try and chase after the US that pretty much everything translates. When you've grown up with more US and British comedians, television, and film than that of your own country's, its hard for it not to.

Some things, like eating out for every meal come off as insane, but I get the impression that that's kind of crazy to Americans as well. I also find how culturally diverse the US is state to state to be really incredible.

The only jarring thing is how centralist/insular the US comes across in its media. I'm sure its a misrepresentation, just by virtue of mass consumer media being the worst, and that kind of generalization rarely being true of a country/people. But even switched on guys like Seth and Jonathan seem to have some pretty dated/incorrect/absent knowledge about other countries and their politics and culture.

It may just be confirmation bias anyway - I've definitely seen Australia on the receiving end of US confirmation bias when it comes to racism.

Australia is pretty racist tho, we literally have refugees in indefinite offshore and onshore "detention centres" at the moment. Children and pregnant women included. It is the greatest crime against humanity we as a nation have committed, and as a population permitted, in my lifetime. gently caress this country, if I ever am a rich man I'm going to New Zealand, which by then will probably also have been hosed by conservatives and boomers.

The US is somewhat insular, but I think Seth and Jonathan are more keyed into the specific stuff that interests them rather than being a perfect example of what typical Americans know and don't know.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I really hope Seth buys a new car :smith:

edit - sounds like Jonathan remarried?

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 13, 2015

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
well poo poo if all my country had to offer was that weird not funny cross dressing dude from Summer Heights High i'd probably dive into UYD head first :australia:

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Brock Samson posted:

edit - sounds like Jonathan remarried?

I caught that too, with his wife at Denny's. Is that number 3?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hocus Pocus posted:

Yeah I find UYD a cool take on American pop culture. Their 'outsider' view is quite similar to how us foreigners see the states. The whole narrative of Florida being weird and wacky is how we see American pop culture as a whole. Eating out every meal feels so American, heh.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I hope they do a show in Australia someday, I'd fly to Sydney or Melbourne for that.
I would also fly over the ditch for them. Man if they did an NZ show that would literally be the dream. I'm imaging the wine cellar or powerstation. ahh

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

if I ever am a rich man I'm going to New Zealand, which by then will probably also have been hosed by conservatives and boomers.

You'll have to be really quick because they're almost done.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It still frustrates me you can't stream and/or download their podcast on their website. Like. Are we good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm not american and enjoy uyd, their humour is totally translatable to me because they are incredibly self aware about how great and terrible the US is at the same time.

A lot of their stuff is just about life in general though anyway.