Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

This actually ended up coming in handy

Now that werezebra is cursed to turn into a dwarven wrestler every full moon :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Moon Monster posted:

This actually ended up coming in handy

When Toady gets around to building in dwarven newspapers that should trigger a headline because it's a classic.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Unfortunately that will never happen because all the papers will have is articles about themselves.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

Unfortunately that will never happen because all the papers will have is articles about themselves.

Infinite Recursion ahoy!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

CrazySalamander posted:

Or the rival newspapers have to run stories about how awesome the headline their main competitor just ran was.

"Daily Dorf stuns fort with powerful wordplay"

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So I got tired of the clothing industry resulting in hundreds upon hundreds of unowned and unwanted slightly-worn items (and unfortunately workflow does not count worn items towards constraints), so I wrote another script to mark all unowned items with a minimum specified wear level for dumping. Here it is if you folks want it, too: http://pastebin.com/Y4nsT5aa

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

When Toady gets around to building in dwarven newspapers that should trigger a headline because it's a classic.

That fight was pretty funny. The Werezebra started by ripping a fisherdwarf to pieces, as is their wont, but ended the fight holding a -felt cap- in one hand and a +dwarven silk sock+ sock in the other. When my steel clad swordsdwarf squad got there he just started slapping them with his shreds of cloth while they hacked/nibbled him to death.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

That fight was pretty funny. The Werezebra started by ripping a fisherdwarf to pieces, as is their wont, but ended the fight holding a -felt cap- in one hand and a +dwarven silk sock+ sock in the other. When my steel clad swordsdwarf squad got there he just started slapping them with his shreds of cloth while they hacked/nibbled him to death.

Biter is still infected though. Probably.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Seems like a good time to dredge this up.

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445758&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post397117097

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MOOSH IT UP ME GIRTH-WAYS

Toady One posted:

The finalization has shifted from dwarf temples to dwarf libraries over the last few days. Watching and fiddling with a churn of scholars, scribes, scrolls, book bindings, quires, scroll rollers and sheets. You can watch them set out their writing materials on their little tables or sit in a chair to read. The current problem is to get scribes to make the right number of copies of each written text so they don't use up all the paper, which gets a bit headache-ish to code when libraries are spread over several linked rooms and filled with different kinds of items which hold the same written content.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Biter is still infected though. Probably.

the were symptom is passed only by a special bite attack, so no.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

First fort of a newly genned world and noticed my outpost liaison was not a dwarf. Upon further investigation:

Time to dig through the legends and figure out what happened.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The boring answer: they don't die from old age and as such can hang on to posts forever unless specifically toppled or murdered. Another unforeseen consequence from the whole multicultural kingdoms thing.

You can restrict entity positions to only certain creatures or even certain castes, but there are no limitations in place by default.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the main thing keeping goblin civs from being completely stagnant is their inclination to solve disputes with murder. Last I looked, the average dead goblin citizen builds a kill list of exactly five names, all murder victims, before getting shanked. Hilariously, being a vast hellborn fire-breathing obsidian-winged doom horse-gorilla-marmot from the bowels of the earth provides no protection against a weedy goblin with a minor grievance in worldgen.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'm picturing Sauron getting shanked because he took a shortcut through a goblin farmer girl's mushroom patch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Today I learned that goblin kings arrive as tame citizens, and thus can be assigned to a chain at the main entrance. This was handy since he could not be assigned to a room. It was extra handy when the local necromancer tower sent the first waves of undead.

Also looked through the legends to figure out what happened. At some point early in history generation a dragon killed the first dwarven king, and at that point a goblin gets appointed as a baron along with the other dwarven nobles who also needed replacing. The intermingling of species in mixed forts goes on for about a century until something really interesting happens: a goblin army led by a dwarf destroys a dwarven army led by a goblin, sacking the mountainhome and killing the dwarven king. At this point a peace treaty was signed and a goblin was elected king of the dwarves. :psydwarf:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Little things like that make this game for me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Today I learned that goblin kings arrive as tame citizens, and thus can be assigned to a chain at the main entrance. This was handy since he could not be assigned to a room. It was extra handy when the local necromancer tower sent the first waves of undead.

Also looked through the legends to figure out what happened. At some point early in history generation a dragon killed the first dwarven king, and at that point a goblin gets appointed as a baron along with the other dwarven nobles who also needed replacing. The intermingling of species in mixed forts goes on for about a century until something really interesting happens: a goblin army led by a dwarf destroys a dwarven army led by a goblin, sacking the mountainhome and killing the dwarven king. At this point a peace treaty was signed and a goblin was elected king of the dwarves. :psydwarf:

Toady's often talked about DF as a story generator, right? Has anybody tried to novelize emergent DF lore outside of directly-game-related LPs?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Goblins 'ave always ruled around these parts, always have, always will. Goblin leader was good enough for my grandpappy, my pappy and me. Was a dwarf who lead the army that sacked the mountainhome and killed the old king, can't be trusted us dwarves and no kin of mine will vote for some filthy dwarf to be king.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Toady's often talked about DF as a story generator, right? Has anybody tried to novelize emergent DF lore outside of directly-game-related LPs?

Space Prison is essentially a dwarf fortress novelization in space.

Executing worthless nobles, killer unicorns, that sort of stuff.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've thought about it. As things currently stand, official DF2015 possibility space is batshit crazy, but it's still a bit too claustrophobic to make for a strong non-comedic novel. There's plenty in there for a farce. You could use the lore as an inspiration rather than an accurate recreation, of course.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dispatched two squads to deal with it too, never even got out the front door.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

It seems I have a guard Tusk Ox now. Her name is Ovassocelirise and she's the DF equivalent of the Angry Ram.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
My favorite thing in dwarf fortress is to generate worlds. I'll spend hours generating worlds then pouring over the legends and just getting lost in history. Legends Viewer Is a really good program for this if someone here isn't using it. Sometimes if I like a world enough I'll jump in with a fort, usually only if I can come up with a good enough reason for why a dwarf civ would set one up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is a good idea, but it'd be a lot better as a graphic novel rather than the raw word salad of names that comes out of worldgen. Having it illustrated like the classic Bronzemurder is the way to do it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Shayu posted:

My favorite thing in dwarf fortress is to generate worlds. I'll spend hours generating worlds then pouring over the legends and just getting lost in history.

:hfive:

Flesh Forge posted:

Having it illustrated like the classic Bronzemurder is the way to do it.

Tim Denee's DF illustrations are great. There's a handful more of them in the O'Reilly's Dwarf Fortress guide.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i am become log

Toady One posted:

I've been working on additional issues related to dwarf mode libraries. For instance, the written works of scholars are treated as sort of semi-artifacts, like named weapons, and this was leading to trouble when somebody would write on a quire and then a bookbinder went to make it into a codex. The ingredients would be gobbled up, and the resulting object wouldn't be an artifact. So reactions now have the ability to transfer artifact status, and there's a new historical event for artifact transformation. There was also the issue of getting scroll rollers on to scrolls that the traders bring -- the game doesn't really understand item components at all, so I just had to add default improvements in the tool raws that civs can tack on to their items.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Today I had a "vile force of darkness," which the wiki attributes to goblins, siege my fortress, but it was 8 or so elves and nothing else... Goblins went through all the trouble of kidnapping and raising these elves to adulthood just to send them on a suicide mission? At least use them as trap fodder for the main invasion force.

OR maybe they're trying to trick me into starting a war with the elves.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I honestly can't wait to make a fortress which is basically just a massive library, keeping the secrets of the world, spanning massive amounts of ZLevels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

abrosheen posted:

Today I had a "vile force of darkness," which the wiki attributes to goblins, siege my fortress, but it was 8 or so elves and nothing else... Goblins went through all the trouble of kidnapping and raising these elves to adulthood just to send them on a suicide mission? At least use them as trap fodder for the main invasion force.

OR maybe they're trying to trick me into starting a war with the elves.

I think "a vile force of darkness" refers to any siege, goblins just being the most common.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bay12 status: anything I don't understand is simple, right

quote:

There's a lot of fan art, especially of forgotten beasts, and usually with the original in-game description intact. The RNG must repeat itself, so... how about a program that skims google and pops up images when they match?

quote:

It'd be simpler to come up with a program that generates an image of a forgotten beast like a paper doll.

quote:

Why?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
I mean, throwing together premade parts to make an image would be simpler than perfecting computer vision, yes

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I think "a vile force of darkness" refers to any siege, goblins just being the most common.

I still got an elven caravan and diplomat the spring after, will they attack you and trade with you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the vile forces are darkness are goblin-raised elf slaves

actual elf or human war parties have a "The enemy is here" message.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I had a message I'd never seen before-- TRESPASSERS showed up, and the game ordered me to tell them to get off my lawn.

It was a trio of humans traveling, and they got near enough to my pastures to be spotted.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What mods are you running?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I got TRESPASSERS as well in stock.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've had that when I'm embarked near a tower, but before they lay siege. It's usually a couple necromancers scouting and they scurry off the map when discovered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

scamtank posted:

Bay12 status: anything I don't understand is simple, right

Ugh. I don't play Dwarf Fortress expecting to use a little imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagination is for babies