Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

About a second for the sound from the explosion to hit him. 1088 feet per second.
:stonklol:

For added fun....

http://www.un.org/disarmament/un-saferguard/explosion-danger-area/
as long as it was under 1300 pounds of explosive, this site says he'd live.
According to seismologists the two blasts were the equivalent of 3 and 21 tons of TNT. He was probably recording the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

About a second for the sound from the explosion to hit him. 1088 feet per second.

For added fun....

Dude was most likely torn apart by the shockwave.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/12/china-explosion-earthquake-recording-instruments-beijing

quote:

Citing the verified Weibo account of the China Earthquake Networks Centre, AFP reported the magnitude of the first explosion was the equivalent of detonating three tons of TNT, while the second was the equivalent of detonating 21 tons of the explosive.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/12/usa-bumblebee-fine-idUSL1N10N29J20150812

A company has been assessed a very hefty fine. This has made the news.

Not making the news: the company challenging the fine and the nature of the violation, and then actually, finally years later, being assessed a vastly reduced fine.

The system works!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yup, he dead.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Yawgmoth posted:

Mini and giant are different sizes, also my toilet doesn't contain open poo (since I put the lid down before flushing like a civilized person).

That actually makes the microscopic pieces of poo shoot out harder and go further than if you left it open. Sucks for you

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/12/bumble-bee-foods-settlement-man-cooked-death-tuna

Bumble Bee Foods has agreed to pay $6m to settle criminal charges in the death of a worker who was cooked in an oven with tons of tuna.

Jose Melena, 62, died three years ago in a 270F oven at the seafood company’s Santa Fe Springs plant after a co-worker mistakenly believed he was in the bathroom and filled a pressure cooker with six tons of canned tuna.

:aaaaa: 270F seems like it would be worse than the normal 350-400 pizza bake zone.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pressure cooker

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Nierbo posted:

That actually makes the microscopic pieces of poo shoot out harder and go further than if you left it open. Sucks for you

They somehow phase through the solid lid and escape anyway? That's quite an effort.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vulpes posted:

They somehow phase through the solid lid and escape anyway? That's quite an effort.

There is not an airtight seal between your toilet lid and the bowl rim.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

So it shoots out onto all those surfaces at shin level that you're never going to touch?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
every surface and object in the vicinity of your toilet gets covered with atomized waste particles every time you flush. deal w/ it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Novo posted:

every surface and object in the vicinity of your toilet gets covered with atomized waste particles every time you flush. deal w/ it.

This.

Also, guess what the gently caress dirt is. poo poo. It's condensed, unliquefied poo poo. Sure, it's be processed by countless animals and plants until all that remains is bleh, but it's poo poo.

You are living in a world of poo poo. Deal w/it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

You are living in a world of poo poo. Deal w/it.

Last person to deal with living in a world of poo poo didn't end too well....

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Mak0rz posted:

You yanks and your weird toilets.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VendaGoat posted:

For added fun....

Got your math mixed up. If it takes 1-1.5s for the soundwave to reach him, that's at most 1500 feet~500m, give or take (no need for exactness on the "he dead" scale-10-15m won't do dick). 1300lbs of bare explosive's "safe area" is ~1125 meters, 3690.94 feet.

Either way, if they're estimating 21tons of tnt? :stonklol: He dead and I'm thinking that the 15 person death toll is because most of the people nearby got vaporized.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

Got your math mixed up. If it takes 1-1.5s for the soundwave to reach him, that's at most 1500 feet~500m, give or take (no need for exactness on the "he dead" scale-10-15m won't do dick). 1300lbs of bare explosive's "safe area" is ~1125 meters, 3690.94 feet.

Either way, if they're estimating 21tons of tnt? :stonklol: He dead and I'm thinking that the 15 person death toll is because most of the people nearby got vaporized.

There is this thing called "estimating" for brevity's sake.

Regardless, yes :stonklol: He dead.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Last person to deal with living in a world of poo poo didn't end too well....

No, there was another....

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You still hosed up feet and meters :spergin:

Also, speaking OSHAlly, I do love the new generation's change of instinct from "holy gently caress take cover"/"RUN THE OTHER WAY DIPSHIT" to "lol this rules gotta stream i-:supaburn:"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

TMonsta posted:

Re-posting from another thread,

much closer video of the explosion.

:nms: http://sendvid.com/i7pcfexm :nms:

because there is no way the person taking the video made it out
Well I wonder which one of my recurring disaster nightmares that my brain will latch this one onto: tornadoes or nuclear missile strike?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh...

Converted the speed of sound, missed the meter on the explosives site. My bad.

I'm gay.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Should've gotten a job at NASA a few years ago.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Should've gotten a job at NASA a few years ago.

Post your job.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/devastating-warehouse-blasts-hit-china-tianjin-150813011448705.html

1000 Renaults were also destroyed in that explosion/fire.

The death toll is going to shoot up once they can access the area. 32 firefighters "missing" :( plus anyone else not far enough out to be found by emergency services easily.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Wouldnt an air tight seal gently caress up the flushing on a toilet.
It kinda needs to take in air when the water goes down right?

All those poop particles just make your immune system stronger anyway.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Post your job.

Im pretty sure hes making a joke about that satellite they hosed up because they used both metric and standard measurements when building it.
Nothing personal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

You still hosed up feet and meters :spergin:

Also, speaking OSHAlly, I do love the new generation's change of instinct from "holy gently caress take cover"/"RUN THE OTHER WAY DIPSHIT" to "lol this rules gotta stream i-:supaburn:"
Didn't people set up picnics to watch the Texas City disaster?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JB50 posted:

Im pretty sure hes making a joke about that satellite they hosed up because they used both metric and standard measurements when building it.
Nothing personal.

Yes, I got the joke.

:thejoke:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vulpes posted:

You yanks and your weird toilets.

I'm Canadian :mad:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

JB50 posted:

The tank needs to take in air, not the bowl. It would just act like a sealed pipe like the rest of the system if the lid was air tight. Though I don't know if the water will compress the extra air in the bowl and possibly pop the lid, making everything worse.

Someone, call the Mythbusters!

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jetz0r posted:

1000 Renaults were also destroyed in that explosion/fire.

Nothing of value was lost.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

JB50 posted:

alternatively:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JB50 posted:

Nothing personal.

Metric IS the standard you backwoods hillbillies :colbert:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Metric IS the standard you backwoods hillbillies :colbert:

It doesn't matter it was a bad joke, followed by a hangry stupid moment by myself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Go harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI

Includes a good demonstration on why you wear your seatbelt.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So they were building a free standing tower thingie, but why was one of the guy-wires connected to the bottom of the helicopter?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I always hated in GTA how the tail rotor of a helicopter would always fall off when they had any kind of accident. Apparently that's a real thing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Skippy McPants posted:

So they were building a free standing tower thingie, but why was one of the guy-wires connected to the bottom of the helicopter?

It had just set a part down. IIRC a dude was supposed to pull a release or something, but instead he pulled the cable into the rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bondematt posted:

It had just set a part down. IIRC a dude was supposed to pull a release or something, but instead he pulled the cable into the rotor.

Having those levers right next to each other is a terrible design decision.

• Locked thread