Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

violetdragon posted:

Where was it implied that the adults were overrun with no violence? The series ends with some dude hanging from a noose. They just didn't show any of the violence. (I agree ending is nonsensical and terrible.)

Mushmouth was frozen for 3 years. The bodies hanging weren't adult they were kid/older kid dissidents or whatever. All of the adult-looking people they show at the end are the first year kids or other kids grown up.

Astroman posted:

It would seem that offscreen the Pilcher Youth used their Unlimited Guns and Ammo Perk to massacre all the adults who were left from the Abbie attack (which may not have been very many) or forced them back into suspended animation at gunpoint. They kept the rest of the kids who were in the know awake and selectively woke others to run the town, doubling down on the surveillance, control, and propaganda.

Yes according to the chick most adults were put back into hibernation.

tomapot posted:

When the elevator gets stuck I thought "oh good that will act as a plug in the elevator shaft' then the Abbies started punching through the plywood floor. I guess they could build a sophisticated town of the future and figure out cryogenic sleep but ran out of steel that every other elevator floor is made out of.

I just don't understand what the gently caress they held on to from the bottom of the elevator to be able to punch through the middle of the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I really liked everything up to and including the reveal but it seems like the back half of the series has been kind of aimless. The resistance group isn't that interesting because we knew they were wrong when they first started showing up and they haven't really done enough with the kids plot either.

I couldn't accept any explanation the show offered until the end because I'd always go back to "but they wouldn't put that much time on the terrorist plot if they were actually wrong about everything. Matt Dillon MUST have imagined everything he saw outside the town. I bet there's a twist coming!" or "They spent so much time trying to get him to undergo surgery in the first episodes, it must be important to the plot".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

HATEPOSTING posted:

"I bet there's a twist coming!"

The twist is that the show was poorly written.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT?!

THE BIGGEST TWIST OF ALL!!!

http://www.slashfilm.com/wayward-pines-carla-gugino/

quote:

Wayward Pines is returning to Fox. Produced by M. Night Shyamalan and created by Chad Hodge, the show was originally planned as a 10-episode series. After it performed well with viewers, Fox decided to bring the show back, but only a few cast members are returning.

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines/article/wayward-pines-second-season

quote:

Next Chapter in Hit Event Series Set to Air Summer 2016 on FOX FOX has renewed hit psychological thriller WAYWARD PINES for a second season, it was announced today by David Madden, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. From M. Night Shyamalan and based on Blake Crouch's international best-selling series of books, 10 all-new episodes of the suspenseful drama are set to air in Summer 2016. The second season will pick up in the wake of Season One, when a new arrival in Wayward Pines finds himself in the middle of a serious rebellion, as the residents battle over how to preserve the endangered human race. “WAYWARD PINES was a huge hit for us this past summer. We were absolutely blown away by the mysterious and surprising world that Night and his team created, and the twisting-and-turning storytelling that drew viewers in from day one,” said Madden. “Season Two is going to take the suspense, the vision of the future and the haunting character drama to whole new levels, and we can’t wait for our fans to continue that ride next year.” Season One of WAYWARD PINES ranked as Summer 2015’s No. 1 broadcast scripted series among Adults 18-49, averaging a 2.2/8 in the key demo. The series – about a Secret Service agent on a mission to find two missing federal agents in a sleepy Northwest town, and the shocking results of his investigation – ranked among Summer 2015’s Top 10 broadcast programs overall among Adults 18-49. The series earned a multi-platform average audience of 9.4 million, which represents a +145% increase versus its Live+Same Day audience– the largest multi-platform lift versus Live+Same Day ever for a FOX drama. - See more at: http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines/article/wayward-pines-second-season#sthash.ub4Pn7Pk.dpuf

I have to admit, I liked the show so I'm happy about this but man, I did not see that coming!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Oh what the gently caress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This was announced a while back, but even I'm surprised at some of the characters returning.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm a month late to the party but just saw this was renewed, :wth:

Never in a million years would I have seen this coming.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wormil posted:

I'm a month late to the party but just saw this was renewed, :wth:

Never in a million years would I have seen this coming.

The most Shyamalanian of twists!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just started Season 1, and just finished episode 2. All I have to say is :stare:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SalTheBard posted:

Just started Season 1, and just finished episode 2. All I have to say is :stare:

If you're starting with :stare:, you're gonna need a way bigger one by the end.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

If you're starting with :stare:, you're gonna need a way bigger one by the end.

I wasn't expecting Beverly to get killed in the 2nd episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

:getin:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I recommend just skipping the last episode and coming up with your own ending. Thank me later.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow did not see it being the year 4028. My mind is loving blown. :psyduck:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

New season starts May 25th. I saw a commercial for it.

SalTheBard posted:

Wow did not see it being the year 4028. My mind is loving blown. :psyduck:

Yeahhhh it started out as a really interesting show with potential and then took a very sharp turn for the wtf.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Harminoff posted:

I recommend just skipping the last episode and coming up with your own ending. Thank me later.

The most accurate quote.

I am 100% not interested in Season 2. That's how bad the ending was. I don't even know how you'd have a Season 2.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SteveVizsla posted:

New season starts May 25th. I saw a commercial for it.

Yeahhhh it started out as a really interesting show with potential and then took a very sharp turn for the wtf.

I really enjoyed the reveal. You had Ethan outside of the wall running from the Abbies while Ben was being taught in school about the reality of what was going on. These goddamn storms in Texas have kept me busy at work, I'm on episode 7 so I want to try to finish it this week. I'm bummed that the ending sounds like it's pretty flat, but I've enjoyed it none the less.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Don't do it man, you'll hate yourself for it if you do. trust us.

And the only way I see season two being any good is if it's a prequel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not. It starts directly where season 1 ends. They said they have a season 3 planned if it gets renewed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Of all the deserving shows that were cancelled after S1, how did this get to come back? There had to be blackmail and blowjobs involved, and lots of both.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

wormil posted:

Of all the deserving shows that were cancelled after S1, how did this get to come back? There had to be blackmail and blowjobs involved, and lots of both.

That's the best thing--I literally was convinced this had been cancelled. This was the absolute last show I even expected to see again. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I had no clue a renewal was even a possibility.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Alrighty you fucks.....here we go

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Not sure I'm in for S2. Matt Dillon got me to watch S1 and he's gone. S2 seems like the same story except S1 characters are now "in on it". And I don't know that Carla Gungino can carry the show. I don't know, I'll probably get sucked into watching at least the first episode and go from there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I hope it's like Under the Dome where it's just a trip into crazy town.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

It was supposed to be a one-off season with no potential for renewal because it was a "miniseries." Which is a term that apparently means nothing now, since that murder show with Ryan Phillippe is also getting a second season.

As awful as that finale was, I'll probably watch the second season. I like to torture myself with wtf sometimes, and Under the Dome is gone now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I didn't think the last episode was terribly terrible. What didn't people like about it?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't think the last episode was terribly terrible. What didn't people like about it?

The final reveal still annoys me.

The 'first generation' of kids comes out of nowhere and I find it hard to believe that most of these kids who were taught their sole purpose in life was to breed and have more kids could somehow drive out all the Abbies and rebuild and maintain the entire town from the complex machinery used to power the facilities to the architectural know how all in the space of three years.

The kids ending up being giant shitlers also undoes all the sacrifice and character growth made by the town's residents who really were in it for the greater good.

I mean, the town itself doesn't even make sense anymore because it turns out that they're the last of humanity and there are loving scary monsters outside. Nobody's going to try to escape anymore if they know that they're just going to get hunted down and cannibalised by mutants.

The show basically worked as a self contained mini series and the finale twist ruined everything leading up to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Are you all ready for this poo poo show tomorrow?

https://youtu.be/ttKfqQ5BBQ4

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

haha this garbage show got un-cancelled.

But...

As long as a mutant mauls at least one child per episode, I'm on board.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

So now we're three years in the future

E: So basically we're doing season 1 again but with a new guy

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 26, 2016

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Ha why would they wake this guy up and tell him nothing? What do they expect him to do in that situation?

This might actually be worse than I thought. At least they kept the worst character from the first season!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well that sure was an episode of television.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has the same problem as the second half of the first season. Without the mystery there really isn't that much to the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this? posted:

It has the same problem as the second half of the first season. Without the mystery there really isn't that much to the show.

I'm thinking maybe the Abbie's aren't mutated by the environment but were experiments to try and breed a person that could survive the new environment? Who knows.

I mean without some sort of hook it's just not a good enough story. Muppet kid takes on teenage government? We already have The 100, they're definitely not treading any ground they haven't already. I don't care what The Thing is, as long as some conspiracy thing is still afoot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How the gently caress did this get renewed and The Grinder get shelved?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes! There was a hole in my heart left by Under the Dome, and I'm glad this garbage show is back to fill it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I enjoyed the conspiracy and weirdness of the town before the Big Reveal, and the hosed up world of the future after the Big Reveal. Now I have a hard time suspending disbelief that after finding out they are in the year 4000 and there are monsters outside their town, which is the last on Earth, people just say "Whelp, OK sounds good!" when faced with the prospect of having their town run by the Hitler Youth. I get they have the guns, but you'd think a bunch of 30-50 year old adults wouldn't go back to playing Perfect Suburbia.

I think the show could have some promise if they moved beyond the town and started exploring the weird world, find out there's other technologically advanced non mutant survivors, etc. That's pretty much what The 100 did. Can you imagine what a snoozefest it'd be if they had just stayed at the lifeboat and had some minor drama with Treecru while talking to the Ark every so often for 3 seasons? Instead they keep expanding the scope of the show, find new survivors, brought the adults on the Ark down, Mt Wx, the Oil Rig, all the other Grounder tribes, we get a crazy AI, and now next year it's globetrotting to stop nuclear meltdowns.

Wayward Pines could do all those things, but I suspect the writers are way too focused on the idea of the town and just finding multiple ways to show Creepy American Town over and over.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Solice Kirsk posted:

How the gently caress did this get renewed and The Grinder get shelved?
I wasted my time with S1 of this trash, and this is also my only question for Fox :ssj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm in for the long hall. Glad this show is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
This show is kind of bad.

otoh YOU CAN'T CONTROL FIRE, YOU WILL REGRET THIS

• Locked thread