Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Phobophilia posted:

jfc gamers are awful
you know what Nietzsche said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Relin posted:

"video games are cool and good. Gamers are horrid and awful." something like that

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Relin posted:

"im gay" ????

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm looking forward to SOMA but on the other hand I can't imagine it being better than Alien: Isolation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I loved Alien Isolation but it felt like half the game was busywork.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah the only thing I disliked about Alien: Isolation is that it dragged on for too long at the end but otherwise I doubt I'll see a better hide-and-seek style game for quite some time.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I loved Alien Isolation but it felt like half the game was busywork.

The game lasted about 3 or 4 hours longer than it needed to. I thought the reactor and the hive would have made an excellent climax but then the game just keeps going on and on and you've got to do more and more busy work tasks, only for the game to end with a wet fart.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bioshock 2's special edition came with an artbook that also had a lot of unused content. My favorite was something they called the Leviathan, a giant mutant flesh blob that went through transformations which made it progressively more humanoid.The stuff they had was a lot more interesting than whatever the hell that game was about.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isolation is actually the perfect action-horror game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

So ephemeral and pretty! Also it's funny how an Endless Ocean screenshot ended up in there. I guess for some people that would be a horror game in their book (even though it's a super-chill fictional diving sim). I've watched some Subnautica playthroughs where the player screamed in terror at the first sight of anything bigger than a goldfish, and these were people who are less reactive to FNaF or Outlast.

Speaking of FNaF, some photos surfaced that are supposedly Scott Cawthon and his family (phone posting thus unable to link, sorry). Anyone heard confirmation on how true those are? The same headshot was updated a few days ago on his placeholder Twitter account, but I'm still skeptical.

Endless Ocean 1 was a super-chill fictional diving sim.

Endless Ocean 2 had a ton of 'fight off shark coming out of random direction with a cheap taser' parts, had you swimming through electric eels, piranhas and crocodiles in the Amazon River that would attack you, and had an Abyss section where it was basically pitch black for a 400 ft. dropdown in a crack-shaped area with a decently wide middle section, where you could randomly encounter a megamouth shark that would attack you or a goddamn sperm whale. There is something horribly unnerving about dropping down through darkness, with only your dive computer telling you where you are, and then Giant loving Sperm Whale Out Of Nowhere gets all up in your lovely dive light.

EO2 dialed back the terror aspect by just having attacks drain your air, and after you ran low you would automatically surface. So there wasn't the threat of getting eaten, or getting deep-dive compressed into a tiny ball, or anything like that. But they made sure that it was not going to be a relaxed swim-around of a game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I mean, Ecco the Dolphin scared the everliving poo poo out of kid me (and probably would do the same to adult me) so if I ever played an actual deep sea horror game I'm pretty sure I'd end up smashing my monitor or something.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

But goddamn at least they did the medical level right.

That dentist scare is still the most memorable in the whole series. You know which one.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
This is the only part of Bioshock I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGDve1PT8Q

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is interesting news: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-2-remake-confirmed/1100-6429698/

(The team behind the RE HD remaster is doing a RE2 remake)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to see a realistically rendered block of tofu with jiggle physics.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, Ecco the Dolphin scared the everliving poo poo out of kid me (and probably would do the same to adult me) so if I ever played an actual deep sea horror game I'm pretty sure I'd end up smashing my monitor or something.

The scariest game.

I agree.

The aliens had no right to exist :ohdear:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey guys the best horror game of the year got released

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736112

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is interesting news: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-2-remake-confirmed/1100-6429698/

(The team behind the RE HD remaster is doing a RE2 remake)

I really hope it's in the vain of REmake in terms of trying to be true to the tank controls and static camera angles. I don't want RE4 reskinned as RE2.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Abugadu posted:

EO2 dialed back the terror aspect by just having attacks drain your air, and after you ran low you would automatically surface. So there wasn't the threat of getting eaten, or getting deep-dive compressed into a tiny ball, or anything like that. But they made sure that it was not going to be a relaxed swim-around of a game.
Same company made a third person diving game on the PS2 called Everblue 2. You could actually die in that one. Either by running into a shark, getting lost in a giant wreck and running out of air, getting bit by a sea snake and not being able to get to the exit in time to surface or just being an idiot and going way over your bag limit. The only music underwater was a Jaw-ish theme that played when a shark showed up and it faded in quietly so I'd get worked up and think it was playing when it really wasn't. The diver's flashlight was pretty lovely and the hallways inside the sunken ships were really narrow so it definitely got claustrophobic. Fantastic game but hoo boy does it make me not want to go scuba diving.

Alien Isolation is great so far, it's so much fun to toss a noisemaker near a group of hostile people and watch the alien tear them apart.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I really hope it's in the vain of REmake in terms of trying to be true to the tank controls and static camera angles. I don't want RE4 reskinned as RE2.

More than that, even: the REmake did stay true to the tank controls but it significantly upgraded the overall experience by shuffling a few events around, adding a lot of new areas, a new boss, making a few jumpscares happen in different places, and introducing entirely new mechanics like the defensive weapons and the Crimson Heads (and Crimson Heads change EVERYTHING about the game, because you backtrack a lot, and CHs mean you can't afford to ignore zombies even after you kill them, and may have to deliberately avoid killing some to keep CHs from spawning later).

That is all in addition to a totally remastered soundtrack and replacing static backgrounds with lucious FMV backgrounds.

So doing to Resident Evil 2 what they did for the first one would not be a minor job. It will be very impressive if they make it as well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having not played Alien Isolation, is there a reason why the titular Alien is invulnerable and single-handedly slaughters everyone, when they were slaughtered by the dozen in Aliens?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phobophilia posted:

Having not played Alien Isolation, is there a reason why the titular Alien is invulnerable and single-handedly slaughters everyone, when they were slaughtered by the dozen in Aliens?
Because its based on Alien and not Aliens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree Medical is the only truly scary part of Bioshock, and its a weird tone shift that the game starts out so spooky and then kinda backs off. It actually made me stop playing for awhile, I thought Bioshock was going to turn into Amnesia or something before I had time to figure out what it really was about.

The rest of the game is still scary, bumping into splicers that you didn't know where there or hearing them talking down the hallway can be awfully spooky, but its not nearly as scary as Medical.

Bioshock is weird because it does keep a really creepy/spooky atmosphere throughout the whole thing, and the sound the Big Daddy's make is honestly loving terrifying. There's also this claustrophobic feeling cause you really can't escape anywhere, there's nothing but ocean all around you. The problem is you also get absolutely loaded up with weapons. Splicers stop being scary pretty quickly. Big Daddies still feel a little scare mostly cause of the noise they make, but they can be defeated so easily with those electricity shotgun bullets. They were super weak to electricity stuff in general, so between that and your plasmid, Big Daddys were only really a threat at the beginning when you bad barely anything to fight them off with.

Granted Bioshock wasn't trying to go full horror, but they probably could've tried a little harder to keep the atmosphere from the early game going throughout the rest of it. I think the game kind of starts going through the motions the second you enter that one elevator at the beginning. Still a great game though

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Speedball posted:

introducing entirely new mechanics like the defensive weapons and the Crimson Heads (and Crimson Heads change EVERYTHING about the game, because you backtrack a lot, and CHs mean you can't afford to ignore zombies even after you kill them, and may have to deliberately avoid killing some to keep CHs from spawning later).

I can't remember about the rest but these were definitely in the GameCube version. RE2 didn't get the same love on the GameCube, hope the new release gets it regardless though

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game lasted about 3 or 4 hours longer than it needed to. I thought the reactor and the hive would have made an excellent climax but then the game just keeps going on and on and you've got to do more and more busy work tasks, only for the game to end with a wet fart.

The last fake ending is particularly lame. I remember someone describing it as having three points where it could have ended, but that one is particularly extraneous. An alien literally just grabs you and carries you to a new level you have to escape, for no real reason. It's like they created that whole train dodging sequence before plot rewrites necessitated cutting it, and someone decided to just shove it in at the last minute, because it was too cool to cut, or something.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

In-game reason is that it's a civilian station and you're just a mechanic, not a soldier. There are no military-grade weapons on the station.

Meta reason is that it's based on Alien and it wouldn't be scary if you could kill the Alien.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ekster posted:

In-game reason is that it's a civilian station and you're just a mechanic, not a soldier. There are no military-grade weapons on the station.

Meta reason is that it's based on Alien and it wouldn't be scary if you could kill the Alien.

Basically the difference between the movies Alien and Aliens. The former is a horror movie, the latter is an action movie.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Accordion Man posted:

Because its based on Alien and not Aliens.

This

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They don't show it in clips but the Alien finds some sort of armor on the station and it deflects bullets.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Bioshock is weird because it does keep a really creepy/spooky atmosphere throughout the whole thing, and the sound the Big Daddy's make is honestly loving terrifying. There's also this claustrophobic feeling cause you really can't escape anywhere, there's nothing but ocean all around you. The problem is you also get absolutely loaded up with weapons. Splicers stop being scary pretty quickly. Big Daddies still feel a little scare mostly cause of the noise they make, but they can be defeated so easily with those electricity shotgun bullets. They were super weak to electricity stuff in general, so between that and your plasmid, Big Daddys were only really a threat at the beginning when you bad barely anything to fight them off with.

Granted Bioshock wasn't trying to go full horror, but they probably could've tried a little harder to keep the atmosphere from the early game going throughout the rest of it. I think the game kind of starts going through the motions the second you enter that one elevator at the beginning. Still a great game though

It's worth playing on impossible mode, it really balances enemies vs your firepower.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Don't know much about it, but the most recent Game informer has a little blurb about "Narcosis" that makes it sound interesting. First person horror set at the bottom of the ocean and you play as a stranded industrial welder so you have to conserve oxygen etc. Gonna have to look it up when I get home from work...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Not sure if anyone of played the fan translated DS game Nanashi no Game, but an English fan patch just came out for the sequel. It's a pretty interesting DS horror game and improves quite well off of the first game. So if you wanted to give it a try, then now you can: https://gbatemp.net/threads/released-nanashi-no-game-me.357565/

Also if you do enjoy it, make sure to give a big pat on the back to goon How Ingratiating! for doing the translation. She's a super swell person for doing it.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I almost gave you a recommendation for your own LP on that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ekster posted:

I'm looking forward to SOMA but on the other hand I can't imagine it being better than Alien: Isolation.

boy that is a low bar to set.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Groovelord Neato posted:

boy that is a low bar to set.

Alien: Isolation is a good game?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Captain Yossarian posted:

Alien: Isolation is a good game?

The firrrst about half or so is. The game started to drag really hard after a point and it felt like an obvious 'It's gotta be longer than this!' order from the publisher.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

The firrrst about half or so is. The game started to drag really hard after a point and it felt like an obvious 'It's gotta be longer than this!' order from the publisher.

Yeah, the game could have ended after the reactor sequence and I'd have been happy I think. But then it continues for another 3 to 4 hours after that and my patience was starting to wear thin over how contrived the fetch quests were being as you were evading the Working Joes and the Xenomorph.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah sorry I should have clarified : I 100% think alien isolation is a good game. I was responding to Neato's incredulity :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Until Dawn is getting some real good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Yodzilla posted:

Until Dawn is getting some real good reviews.

I saw that! I will be getting it & will be recording some if anyone is curious how it plays and wants to hold off for a bit. I don't (and wont) record my voice so it will be 100% game.