Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Karia posted:

Utilitarianism is the greatest good for the greatest number. The harm done by 49 of the people being murdered vastly outweighs any possible benefit the 51 could get from them being killed. It's not a voting system. Your description of utilitarianism is absurd and has literally no resemblance to what anybody believes. Make some loving effort to understand what you're arguing against.

There's a *kernel* of legitimacy in his criticism here, in that the notion of the "utility monster" (i.e. someone who derives more happiness from murder than his victims derive from being alive) is something that utilitarians must grapple with, but it's not like a fatal blow to the philosophy or anything since in practice utility monsters don't actually exist and the harmful repercussions to society of someone being murdered are more extensive than just the dead person's loss of future enjoyment of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Karia posted:

Utilitarianism is the greatest good for the greatest number. The harm done by 49 of the people being murdered vastly outweighs any possible benefit the 51 could get from them being killed. It's not a voting system. Your description of utilitarianism is absurd and has literally no resemblance to what anybody believes. Make some loving effort to understand what you're arguing against.

Voting to kill the 49 people is wrong, but if those people are slaves then by got is it Principled to kill your Property however you want :911:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Plastics, I'm genuinely trying to understand, what's the difference between a slave not killing themself to avoid slavery, and you not killing yourself to avoid paying taxes?

Caros
May 14, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Plastics, I'm genuinely trying to understand, what's the difference between a slave not killing themself to avoid slavery, and you not killing yourself to avoid paying taxes?

The slave has no principles? :iiam:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Official languages and code bases are beneficial to free market exchange but verboten to the great captains of Galtian industry

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Hey, Plastics, here's some food for thought so you may someday see the light of reason.

I think that politics and economics are a means to an end, and so we ought to have our ends properly configured before we evaluate a political-economic system. What do we want? We want all kinds of things. I want everyone to live a satisfying life that allows them to achieve (or try to achieve) their goals (unless those goals prevent others from achieving their goals...it gets complicated when goals conflict). This means they probably need to be healthy, have an education, have access to some material resources like food and shelter, and be protected from others preventing them from achieving their goals. Now, we have human limits here. We might not have the medical science to cure everyone. People might have disabilities that prevent them from getting an education. There may be scarcity problems (to be clear, we don't live in a world with scarcity problems, especially in the first world). But this is what our political and economic systems should aim at, at least in my opinion. They ought to try to maximize these things (since they contribute to well-being and living that satisfying life).

Now, when we're evaluating a political and economic system, we don't look at whether the principles are pretty or derived from pure reason or respect liberty or whatever. We look at whether they get us what they want. You really like your principles, but do they get us what we want? No, and you've said so yourself. So I'm not sure why I should buy them. If I adopted an ethical principle that said drop-kicking babies is good and just, you'd tell me I'm insane, simply because any principle that endorses something as obviously wrong as drop-kicking babies has to be false. Why are your principles not subject to a similar sort of reductio ad absurdum? Can you give me a single reason to think that I should adopt your principles in light of this?

note: some very smart people are what are called 'proceduralists' who think that what makes a political system legitimate is whether or not it follows the right procedures to get to its conclusions, no matter how abhorrent, but I find proceduralism to be a weird position, since surely outcomes matter (I've also strawmanned proceduralism a bit here but the puzzle remains). A democratic procedure that resulted in the extermination of a minority population is surely broken and illegitimate, or so I say.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey Plastic, how does it feel to be promoting an economic and political doctrine pushed by people who fully admitted they've made it all up and it is not subject to evidence?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

reignonyourparade posted:

Taxes come from government, while slave owners are private/corporate. That's all there is to libertarianism. The most brutal oppression and outright genocide is ok so long as the people carrying it out don't self-label as a "government". It's really no deeper than that, there's nothing more to discuss. Anything the government does, its mere existence, is a Injustice. Anything any group or individual who isn't "government" (no matter how identical they are in power) does is just Fine and absolutely Justified.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Plastics posted:

Or you could look at the statistics from the era featuring the greatest economic growth in American history INCLUDING the largest rises in real wages ever!

Here's a table showing real hourly earnings.

1970-2000 brought gains of only 11.1%. poo poo is hosed up and bullshit. Clearly, a change is needed. Let's look to the previous century.

1870-1900 saw a gain of 87.8%. That's a very impressive improvement in only thirty years! Perhaps we would be better off under a robust system of property rights, guided by the benevolent dicta of our hereditary tycoon-lords.

1800-1830 saw a gain of 93.9%. Ooooookay. Perhaps the nation would be even more prosperous if we all went back to farming.

1930-1960 saw a gain of 170.8%. Wrap it up laissezfailures; you've been skullfucked by FDR.

Please cite a source for your claim re: real wages or admit that you were mistaken.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 14, 2015

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Plastics, I'm not even joking when I say this, but if you or people like you ever get even a sliver of social power, like even a bad tv show, I'm calling for purges. We will wipe you fuckers out. Bash the fash, but also bash libertarians. My moral precepts says that you should be killed as a vile weed in human society. Jesus Christ, even schizophrenia or whatever the hell is wrong with that makes you write so weird isn't an excuse for this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Political Whores posted:

Plastics, I'm not even joking when I say this, but if you or people like you ever get even a sliver of social power, like even a bad tv show, I'm calling for purges. We will wipe you fuckers out. Bash the fash, but also bash libertarians. My moral precepts says that you should be killed as a vile weed in human society. Jesus Christ, even schizophrenia or whatever the hell is wrong with that makes you write so weird isn't an excuse for this.

He has the Libertarianism disease of choice - pseudointellectualism.

Write long and drawn out nonsense, slip in references to logic and rationalism and act smug.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Political Whores posted:

Settle down there, tough guy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Taxes, like government itself is a unique human invention specifically designed to eliminate violence, war and human suffering. The complex structures and functions of an ant colony for example do not allow for freedom of thought, action or self determination. Taxes allow society to give you freedom as a business transaction without dooming you and your descendants to indentured servitude for an aristocracy unmoved by your thoughtless bleating about how your theft through the use of infrastructure is violence because your entirely philosophy is based around being a selfish greedy shitbag.

You didn't build yourself.
You are not being held back by government, you exist as a matter of governments remarkable ability to collect and protect surplus civility.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 13, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Political Whores posted:

Bash the fash, but also bash libertarians.

But you repeat yourself.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Falstaff Infection posted:

There's a *kernel* of legitimacy in his criticism here, in that the notion of the "utility monster" (i.e. someone who derives more happiness from murder than his victims derive from being alive) is something that utilitarians must grapple with, but it's not like a fatal blow to the philosophy or anything since in practice utility monsters don't actually exist and the harmful repercussions to society of someone being murdered are more extensive than just the dead person's loss of future enjoyment of life.

Huh, Omelas is where I'd have gone for criticism of utilitarianism. The utility monster is pretty easy to dismiss, you're right. Harming somebody else for the greater good, not just an individual's good, is the main point where it seems to fall apart. Still, in my opinion, pretty easy to deal with: harm done to people in the name of the greater good should be weighted based on the impact to the person compared to the societal average. Thus, small impacts (either positive or negative) on the most well off people are relatively inconsequential, while hurting or helping the people who are in the worst position takes much greater weight.

In the case of Omelas, the difference there is so great that pretty much any non-physical harm to other people would be acceptable to assist the one poor person. I'd also hold that a society based off of that imbalance must have issues in other places (an over-dependence on child suffering as an energy source, for example, leaving them vulnerable to power disruption), so there would be large societal benefits to breaking the status quo anyway.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GulMadred posted:

1970-2000 brought gains of only 11.1%. poo poo is hosed up and bullshit. Clearly, a change is needed. Let's look to the previous century.

1870-1900 saw a gain of 87.8%. That's a very impressive improvement in only thirty years! Perhaps we would be better off under a robust system of property rights, guided by the benevolent dicta of our hereditary tycoon-lords.

1800-1830 saw a gain of 93.9%. Ooooookay. Perhaps the nation would be even more prosperous if we all went back to farming.

1930-1960 saw a gain of 170.8%. Wrap it up laissezfailures; you've been skullfucked by FDR.

Please cite a source for your claim re: real wages or admit that you were mistaken.

When you believe strongly enough, anything that goes against those beliefs is propaganda. Your numbers are all faked because if they aren't some Principles might be Wrong, and that's Not Okay!

Tell us your opinion on child labor laws, plastics :allears:

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Karia posted:

Huh, Omelas is where I'd have gone for criticism of utilitarianism. The utility monster is pretty easy to dismiss, you're right. Harming somebody else for the greater good, not just an individual's good, is the main point where it seems to fall apart. Still, in my opinion, pretty easy to deal with: harm done to people in the name of the greater good should be weighted based on the impact to the person compared to the societal average. Thus, small impacts (either positive or negative) on the most well off people are relatively inconsequential, while hurting or helping the people who are in the worst position takes much greater weight.

In the case of Omelas, the difference there is so great that pretty much any non-physical harm to other people would be acceptable to assist the one poor person. I'd also hold that a society based off of that imbalance must have issues in other places (an over-dependence on child suffering as an energy source, for example, leaving them vulnerable to power disruption), so there would be large societal benefits to breaking the status quo anyway.

I think Omelas is a good argument for "utilitarianism with side constraints" (i.e. certain things such as torture or rape are out-of-bounds, regardless of the outcome they produce) since while it is theoretically possible that doing something awful to an innocent person might be necessary for the greater good (and therefore morally permissible), in practice most of the time when people argue that torture, oppression, etc. is necessary they're doing so in bad faith. They want to hurt people and the "greater good" is just a convenient excuse.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
And I would never wish Something Awful on an innocent person.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I think Omelas is a good argument for "utilitarianism with side constraints" (i.e. certain things such as torture or rape are out-of-bounds, regardless of the outcome they produce) since while it is theoretically possible that doing something awful to an innocent person might be necessary for the greater good (and therefore morally permissible), in practice most of the time when people argue that torture, oppression, etc. is necessary they're doing so in bad faith. They want to hurt people and the "greater good" is just a convenient excuse.

I don't like the idea of having a blacklist of not-allowed things, since it's going to necessarily be reactive rather than proactive, and can't cover all instances. I hold that a society that would allow such things must be broken and dysfunctional on some level, even if it did somehow benefit the society as a whole from a purely pragmatic point of view.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GulMadred posted:

Hang on, let me tack back towards "mankind must be extinguished, if it serves the Principle of Justice."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Wolfsheim posted:

When you believe strongly enough, anything that goes against those beliefs is propaganda. Your numbers are all faked because if they aren't some Principles might be Wrong, and that's Not Okay!

Tell us your opinion on child labor laws, plastics :allears:
I think you mean child Labor laws, Wolfsheim.

Going to try predicting his response as boiling down to being totally okay if you're an immigrant who irresponsibly created too Many mouths to Feed.

And I would never wish Something Awful on an innocent person.

A guilty system recognizes no innocents. :getin:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Plastics posted:

I have already explained more than once that I think we need to come to Anarchist Libertarianism in a certain way and that as a result of that I think that some sacrifices need to be made in order to reach that point. I do not like doing this but I know well enough that if I tried to defy the Government as it stands today I would very soon end up in prison and be silenced just like lots of historical figures have ended up (and I am just a regular guy rather than a gifted speaker or leader or anything) so I could throw myself on my sword and achieve nothing or I could accept that I am not abiding by all my Principles (and I seem to be the only person around here who actually AMITS they can not or do not live up to everything they hold True) because I hope that in so doing I will achieve something down the line. Unless you all think that Slaves who did NOT let themselves be tortured and killed instead of doing the work demanded of them were wrong then maybe you should all back off me!

I'm sorry, this is a Consequentialist argument for paying your taxes, but I have it on good authority that consequences have no moral value.

Plastics posted:

But what I realized that was most important of all is that Consequences do not have moral value. Only the Act itself matters and the Morality of the Act depends on personal freedom and the free association of everyone involved.

Sorry, justifying your financial support of America's horrific oppressive wealth-hating police state because of the Consequences of withdrawing it instead of on Principle is vile and immoral.

And from a rhetorical standpoint, telling us that your mighty Principles are so right and unbreachable that it's better the entire human race be destroyed than compromise with a single safety regulation, yet in reality you're willing to bargain your Principles away immediately because they're not worth following if it means you personally will go to jail...well that's not exactly getting me on board with your crusade to abolish the FDA. If you're not willing to spend some time in the clink for your Principles I don't see why I should be okay with a few thousand more thalidomide babies.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Political Whores posted:

Libertarians do strike me as the "Bolsheviks in 1915" of our century. Already radicalized, gung-ho about a system they do not fully understand but full of fire and vim to bring it about, and just one bad national fuckup away from getting into a position to cause massive damage.

Except the Bolshies, for all their flaws, were actually rebelling against a callous, outdated tyranny that was starving people en masse. Libertarians are quite cool with that; it's the whole vaccines, 40-hour work weeks and mercury-free water that will make them set the system on fire.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Man this guy isn't even fun. I keep noticing his posts when I get home and just going :effort:

At least Jrod would try and engage and get pissy, plastics is so noninteractive I had to google some of his quotes to see if he was just cleverly copying from elsewhere. Plastics is like... he's like the Walking Dead adventure game of libertarians. Sure you have a bunch of choices on how you want things to get hosed up, but in the end everything leads to one place and the whole thing sucks.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Caros posted:

Plastics is like... he's like the Walking Dead adventure game of libertarians. Sure you have a bunch of choices on how you want things to get hosed up, but in the end everything leads to one place and the whole thing sucks.

This is one thing I think Jrod will have over all of his successors: I am 100% convinced he reads the threads he posts in. Yes, he will ignore posts pretty blatantly and he may even intentionally misquote people but by God if he quotes a post I'm at least confident he read it long enough to find a way to cherry pick it to make it say the opposite of what the author clearly said. If Plastics is real, I'm fairly sure he just skims posts, finds 2 or 3 words, and then just writes a post and hope that the post he quoted matches up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Libertarians do strike me as the "Bolsheviks in 1915" of our century. Already radicalized, gung-ho about a system they do not fully understand but full of fire and vim to bring it about, and just one bad national fuckup away from getting into a position to cause massive damage.

Except the Bolshies, for all their flaws, were actually rebelling against a callous, outdated tyranny that was starving people en masse. Libertarians are quite cool with that; it's the whole vaccines, 40-hour work weeks and mercury-free water that will make them set the system on fire.

It's all reactions to modernity. The problem with modernity is real and all the groups that look at modernity and go "This is some hosed bullshit" are not wrong to do that. What they are wrong to do is to assert that their answer, their particular synthesis, is true and will save us all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Man this guy isn't even fun. I keep noticing his posts when I get home and just going :effort:

At least Jrod would try and engage and get pissy, plastics is so noninteractive I had to google some of his quotes to see if he was just cleverly copying from elsewhere. Plastics is like... he's like the Walking Dead adventure game of libertarians. Sure you have a bunch of choices on how you want things to get hosed up, but in the end everything leads to one place and the whole thing sucks.

I would go significantly further and argue that he's the Heavy-Rain-if-you-took-out-the-cool-FBI-agent-hologlasses-parts of libertarians.

Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I would go significantly further and argue that he's the Heavy-Rain-if-you-took-out-the-cool-FBI-agent-hologlasses-parts of libertarians.

I liked heavy rain. :(

Then again I suppose you are right. Once you've seen the game you've seen it all and there isn't really any reason to go back to it. Good call.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

I liked heavy rain. :(

Then again I suppose you are right. Once you've seen the game you've seen it all and there isn't really any reason to go back to it. Good call.

It cheated on the mystery, I just can't forgive that. :colbert:

It was crap for other reasons too, much like Plastics posting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've said it before and I'll say it again; libertarians have become like a terrifying cult at this point. If you look at it every time somebody says "we tried your policies and they didn't work during X era" they only respond with "well you didn't do them right/didn't deregulate hard enough! Try again." That or "well it didn't work because some filthy statist sabotaged it."

No, lolbertarian, it didn't work because your ideas are stupid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even if you nail the Libertarian dead to rights on bad outcomes, they'll just abandon the argument that libertopia would be better for the people living in it and fall back on ontological ethics. A libertarian system is better because it's libertarian, not because it's actually better to live there (if you aren't in the aristocratic/warlord class).

It would actually save a bunch of time if Libertarians were honest from the start like Plastics here, immediately acknowledging that the most horrific dystopia imaginable is a small price to pay for a sufficiently capital-V Virtuous society, if only he'd follow this to its logical conclusion and not bother to make the case that Libertarianism would lead to less suffering and death since that doesn't matter according to his captial-E Ethics anyway.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Political Whores posted:

Hey can I get first dibs?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Plastics posted:

This is the bit that a lot of people seem to be having trouble with! The Free Market is completely not that you are right! It is not a knowing and knowledgeable thing that exists but it is rather a Mechanism by which other things can be figured out!
Indeed. The things that we have figured out are that if you leave it wholly unfettered it results in untold misery for the vast and overwhelming majority of people.

quote:

The wage (and other benefits) that you can negotiate with your employer is BY DEFINITION fair in a system that does not have coercion in it. If you do not like the wages you are getting or are offered then find another job. If you can NOT do that then you do not have skills people find useful so why should you be paid more than your utility? If people want to PRIVATELY CHOOSE to help you then they can do that but you can not Force people into this kind of distorted market insanity and act like that is Just.
Prospective employers offer you a wage that is too little to actually survive on. There is collusion between the hiring managers of the firms in the area (or a simple monopoly, always fun) to depress wages as deeply as possible. You do not have the money to move.

Now what?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plastics posted:

This is the bit that a lot of people seem to be having trouble with! The Free Market is completely not that you are right! It is not a knowing and knowledgeable thing that exists but it is rather a Mechanism by which other things can be figured out!

Markets are ways to figure things out, but so are monkeys with dartboards, stone calendars, and cow pasture bingo. The market is great at gauging what irrational people are more likely to spend time or money on under present conditions. This is potentially useful if you are deciding what flavor of mountain dew to increase production on, or what color to make iPhone cases. It is singularly terrible at determining what medical procedures someone should have, what foods are safe to eat, by what method to educate children, or if we should spend a million dollars to fix a crumbling bridge.

The market does do some things well, and I do like new gadgets and gizmos, so I support markets to a point. You support them to a fault.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

VitalSigns posted:

Even if you nail the Libertarian dead to rights on bad outcomes, they'll just abandon the argument that libertopia would be better for the people living in it and fall back on ontological ethics. A libertarian system is better because it's libertarian, not because it's actually better to live there (if you aren't in the aristocratic/warlord class).

It would actually save a bunch of time if Libertarians were honest from the start like Plastics here, immediately acknowledging that the most horrific dystopia imaginable is a small price to pay for a sufficiently capital-V Virtuous society, if only he'd follow this to its logical conclusion and not bother to make the case that Libertarianism would lead to less suffering and death since that doesn't matter according to his captial-E Ethics anyway.
I had missed the part where he outright said that Consequences (inexplicably capitalized) are unimportant to the morality of a proposition. At least it explains why the constant reminders of "we tried that and then we stopped because it killed people" are falling on deaf ears.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

theshim posted:

Prospective employers offer you a wage that is too little to actually survive on. There is collusion between the hiring managers of the firms in the area (or a simple monopoly, always fun) to depress wages as deeply as possible. You do not have the money to move.

Now what?

Libertarians *choral*: "Well that wouldn't happen in a marketplace truly free of Statist collusion/coercion!"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Maybe it's my pop culture-addled mind, but how is it that Plastics' view of remaking society sounds worse and makes less sense than anything that Ultron had ever conceived?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

GulMadred posted:

Thank you :)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mojo1701a posted:

Maybe it's my pop culture-addled mind, but how is it that Plastics' view of remaking society sounds worse and makes less sense than anything that Ultron had ever conceived?

Ultron's attempted murder of the human race would at least have been quick. So yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Ultron's attempted murder of the human race would at least have been quick. So yes.

Honestly I think Ultron was on to something that time he hooked up with the Phalanx and attempted to hegemonize the entire universe into an omnimorphic hive-mind.

Being subsumed into a clonal meta-mind of infinite complexity is something I might be willing to try.