Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The $300,000 mentioned is the total value of the debt owed by the eight properties that the Auckland Council is trying to recover through the High Court. Her total debt only accounts for $11,000 of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If you don't think "it is not for this court to comment whether that is a just law or not" is loving troubling as hell I don't know what to tell you.
parliamentary supremacy m8

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

So old Gerry(mandering) Brownlee is promising to audit builders that did shoddy EQC work...

Work that the builders say was rushed by the EQC, with inadequate oversight and budget.

Let's play "shift the blame around and see where it sticks"!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

So old Gerry(mandering) Brownlee is promising to audit builders that did shoddy EQC work...

Work that the builders say was rushed by the EQC, with inadequate oversight and budget.

How long before we hear "ackshually, at the end of the day, we inherited a mess from the previous government."

Our government inaction, everyone.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

The $300,000 mentioned is the total value of the debt owed by the eight properties that the Auckland Council is trying to recover through the High Court. Her total debt only accounts for $11,000 of that.

Ah that's my misreading there then.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SuperiorColliculus posted:

The builders won't give a poo poo. It'll be leaky homes all over again. They'll just shutter their current company and open a new one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Two versions of the same story. One was deleted and replaced with the other. Which is which!?

quote:

Survey urges National to groom Key successor
Newstalk ZB Staff
Thursday, 13 August 2015

John Key remains popular in the nation's boardrooms - with nearly 80% of those surveyed by the Herald believing the Prime Minister is still in touch with ordinary New Zealanders.

However they're sending a message saying it's time for National to groom a successor.

NZME Editorial Director Fran O'Sullivan said last year two thirds of respondents felt the 'Key' brand was damaged and events since then have led to a further drop in popularity.

"Since we've had the pony-tail saga, we've had the Saudi sheep scandal and the miscalculation at the Northland election."

"But, you know, you'd still say he's in touch with ordinary New Zealanders."

Respondents said one of their favoured replacement would be Paula Bennett.

quote:

Business leaders say time for Key to go
Alicia Burrow
Thursday, 13 August 2015

The 'Key' brand is over.

The business community has spoken and say it's time for the National party to groom a replacement.

NZME's fourteenth annual Mood of the Boardroom survey has shown three quarters of business leaders want a new John Key.

The survey had 110 respondents from the Deloitte top 200 list of chief executives, company heads and heads of industry-leading businesses including the private and public sector.

Business Editor Fran O'Sullivan said last year, two thirds of respondents felt the 'Key' brand was damaged and since then it's only worsened with the pony-gate saga and failed Northland by-election.

Respondents said their favourite replacement would be Local Government and Social Housing Minister Paula Bennett or a comeback from former National Party Justice Minister Simon Powell.

The survey results were announced at a conference in Auckland today where the general attitude was positive despite the slowing economy.

While 64% of executives believe the markets will slow further, those surveyed feel a larger snapshot reveals other industries are performing well.

Performance and manufacturing is picking up, undeterred by parity with the Australian dollar. The Research and Development spend is also on the rise.

Heated political topics discussed in the survey were housing, the Resource Management Act reforms and infrastructure, specifically regional development.

http://tinyurl.com/nhdnkhx

http://tinyurl.com/q6qldlw

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 13, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Are they really dumb enough to try replacing him? i mean i don't think anyone else would be as popular, even if his 'brand' has been damaged recently.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress that's cynical.

I think Paula Bennett could give Andrew Little a run for his money, but none of the other Nat party people could, and I think Steven Joyce would get the leadership over her at the moment.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

A human heart posted:

Are they really dumb enough to try replacing him? i mean i don't think anyone else would be as popular, even if his 'brand' has been damaged recently.

Helen Clark was criticised for not having a clear successor, so it makes sense for them to be wary of the dependence on Key.

lol at that stat about 80% of wealthy ceos think Key is in touch with the common man.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He's in touch with the common CEO, who on average are men. So eh.

Also yessss. Devour yourselves, you scum.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ledge posted:

I personally couldn't give a gently caress if the flag changes or what it changes to.

I do think that this it is a complete waste of money and that the flag changing should happen at the same time we become a republic, if that ever happens.

When Her Maj finally kicks the bucket it's going to trigger a debate on the future of New Zealand, whether we continue to be a constitiutional monarchy or turn into a republic. That's probably going to be the best time to bring up changing the flag.

Also this was triggering me so I reorganised it.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 13, 2015

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I hate all of them I guess I'm voting for the old flag then whoop whoop mission accomplished let the lovely young folk vote for their lovely hipster flag

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

...young folk vote...

Hahahaha

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Middle Eastern, Levantine, Arab(ian?) and African?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Middle Eastern/Latin American/African

Because, you know, that's a more useful category than "Other".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah clearly its the schools that are failing our Maori and Pasifika kids

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Awesome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how one category is 'asian'.

Where are you from? One of a score of totally different countries part of a massive region stretching across a good chunk of the planet? Asian.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

I love how one category is 'European'.

Where are you from? One of a score of totally different countries part of a large region stretching across a good chunk of the planet? Europe.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The difference is it's socially acceptable to judge a huge, varied group of people by their ethnicity as long as they're white enough looking.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
who would have thought that the rich schools are full of white dickheads

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I love how one category is 'asian'.

Where are you from? One of a score of totally different countries part of a massive region stretching across a good chunk of the planet? Asian.

I think the graph would be a bit overcomplicated if there were different colours for each country in Asia but i dunno i'm not a statistics expert.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The whole graph just seems racist and pointless. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a graph with economic divisions or something, like categorising students based on how much their parents make? It doesn't really tell you anything except that poor schools are filled with maori and pacific islanders, when the problem is that poor schools are filled with poor people. Or is it meant to show that high decile schools are racist? Or what?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The whole graph just seems racist and pointless. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a graph with economic divisions or something, like categorising students based on how much their parents make? It doesn't really tell you anything except that poor schools are filled with maori and pacific islanders, when the problem is that poor schools are filled with poor people. Or is it meant to show that high decile schools are racist? Or what?

hmm, there couldn't be a relation between socio-economic status and ethnicity could there

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a graph with economic divisions or something, like categorising students based on how much their parents make?

School deciles kind of do that, dude.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Deciles are based on the incomes in the community. Did you think they just arbitrarily decide that some schools are poor?

Decile is a blunt measure for sure, but its somewhat representative of the SES of the community.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was actually under the impression deciles were determined by the amount of funding the schools got or something, the concept wasn't explained clearly when I was at manurewa high. That makes sense then.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
They get more funding because they're poorer

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It works best for fairly homogenous communities but most of the deciles in the middle are actually just very diverse schools. Like the one I worked at in Wellington was a decile 7 but if you excluded 1/3 of the kids (the ones who lived up on the hills) it would be been like a decile 1 or 2. There weren't many kids in the middle. The result was that the school dealt with a lot of the same issues as low decile schools but didn't receive the funding, while it also couldn't rely on the school fees for income like decile 10 schools.

So yeah, blunt measure, there are better options available but gently caress giving this government the opportunity to change the way schools are funded.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ the better your school does the more funding you get - you can't argue with merit! :downs:

Poor school district -> Lower decile school -> more public funding per student due to lack of ability to rely on school fees from the district.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bobbilljim posted:

who would have thought that the rich schools are full of white dickheads

school sets up in a wealthy area (usually predominantly white) ->
school gets filled with people whose parents have enough time and money to make sure they get the most out of their school years (and usually happen to be white) ->
school posts excellent student achievement results (which are only partially due to the school) ->
people from outside of that district with the time and money to try to fudge the districting rules fudge the districting rules (these people also tend to be white) ->
more than enough donations and trusts help fund the school to make sure that it makes up for being decile 10 ->
school hires extremely good teachers and poaches exceptional teachers from other nearby schools which can't afford to beat that paycheck ->
school posts more excellent results ->
repeat until Wellington Boys College is chock full of sexist, racist, homophobic white boys from the oldest of old money, and their one communal black friend.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Most of that except for the teacher salary part. They are set from the collective agreement and don't vary from school to school ( there are some exceptions defined within the contract but they won't apply in your scenario). Of course the high decile school can offer a lot of other non salary benefits and support.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Except when it's a school like One Tree Hill College, who propose a new zone to meet increasing demand from areas that just outside their zoning district, at which point shithead sockpuppets like David Seymour, who argues for Charter Schools because they "provide choice" suddenly move against them because apparently parents having choice is not desirable. Can't provide a school like OTH, with a demographic made up mostly of those people, as a possible option for the well-to-do parents, right?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 15, 2015

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Act being a party full of hypocrites? :wotwot:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah the zoning laws are kinda hosed. If you're the first school in an area to have to draw up a zone (meaning you're already the school everyone wants to go to) then you basically get to cut out the poor areas and create a nice little white/middle class island in your community. The school board and the principal have to "consult" the community on the proposed zones but that's it. You can end up with families living 200m from the school considered out of zone.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 15, 2015

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm glad blokes bloke john K man has taken time out of his busy tppa schedule to go hang out at Auckland and watch some rugger and clap at a sports man in a way that indicates that he knows what the gently caress is going on

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:byodood:i bet Andrew little isn't at the rugby because he is a pc pussy baby rear end in a top hat who doesn't even drink beers - idiot john key voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How come these rich people schools only let in white assholes. Seems racist, surely there's a bunch of rich rear end in a top hat Asian kids with all these Chinese people buying all the houses??

• Locked thread