Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

My favourite Planeswalker is Liliana of the Veil, she has won me so many games of modern. I just wish her art was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which is your favorite planeswalker, thread? Favorite planeswalker card? Are they the same?

I love Venser the Sojourner!!!! He's also kind of my favorite Planeswalker card because most of his abilities involve grinding out card advantage and strangling your opponents ability to do anything, but there was no time the card existed that playing that style was really viable. I still did have a Bant prison style deck with him that used Sun Titan/Tec Edge and A. Slime to just lock the opponent out of their mana, and I could take games off of Twin and the various Cawblades but that was only from beating less skilled players who had no idea what my deck did.

My favorite planeswalker card is either Elspeth KE or JTMS, since poor Venser never really had a chance to be viable even though he was quite fun. Tick up Venser, blink Wall of Omens or Sea Gate ORacle!! THE VALUE

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ashiok is hands down my favourite walker and I really hope he comes back again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Deofuta posted:

Koth Of The Hammer is the man, and I would welcome a standard reprint of him any day.

This guy fuckin gets it, Koth is the best red walker flavor wise and he was a really effective card that wasn't ever busted and gave reach to the kind of decks he went in.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Samael posted:

My favourite Planeswalker is Liliana of the Veil, she has won me so many games of modern. I just wish her art was better.

Yeah, when they reprint LotV with new art that everyone hates because it's not as ~sexy~ I'll be the first in line to swap mine for the new ones plus throw-ins. (It's never gonna happen, though.) Such a bummer that the hands-down best Liliana card has the hands-down worst Liliana art.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I was thinking White getting something like "Get a basic land into play. You can't if you attacked this turn, and if you do get it, you can't attack", to represent development in peacetime

White isn't really about "peace." White is about Order, with a capital O. The white ideal is a plane that is a single unbroken color stretching for eternity. Never shifting, never wavering, always static and yet ready to repel change.

Until that glorious neverending moment, they will hit those that don't understand the beauty and peace found in perfect Order.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wurzag posted:

Ashiok is hands down my favourite walker and I really hope he comes back again.

Ashiok is gender-neutral. :eng101:

As for me, I can't really say I have a favorite planeswalker any more than I have a favorite Enchantment or Instant. Maybe G/B Garruk.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which is your favorite planeswalker, thread? Favorite planeswalker card? Are they the same?

Favourite Planeswalker is Ral Zarek because he out-smugs Niv Mizzet, a dragon so far up his own rear end he gives himself heartburn.

Favourite Planeswalker card is Vraska the Unseen, because it's cool as hell to lay down a legitimate, direct threat that is tricky to deal with without directly attacking it with your strongest creatures.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I gotta say I miss the Savor the Flavor articles they had before Uncharted Realms. The only thing that's interesting now are the Planeswalker's Guide to ....... they have for a new block.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I gotta say I miss the Savor the Flavor articles they had before Uncharted Realms. The only thing that's interesting now are the Planeswalker's Guide to ....... they have for a new block.

The funny part is that as much flavor as they try and pack into those things, a lot of it doesn't even mesh with what ends up getting printed.

As an example, shamanism (like what Koth, Domri Rade and Sarkhan practice) is supposed to be prohibited by Atarka's brood because it gives the humanoids a chance of overpowering their masters, so they practice it only in complete secrecy (as per the Planeswalker's Guide to post-Fate Tarkir) . Then you have cards like Magmatic Chasm that say they openly do it in defense of the brood.

Really, the poo poo that gets printed on cards is more interesting than almost anything their lovely blogspot puts out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

Chandra Ablaze is the only non core-set Chandra.
Uh...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Serperoth posted:

I was thinking White getting something like "Get a basic land into play. You can't if you attacked this turn, and if you do get it, you can't attack", to represent development in peacetime

OK so you meant "why doesn't white get this specific ramp spell that I just made up?"

quote:

I'm not talking about how mono-Red plays, I meant it in the sense that Red still gets enchantments, so why can't it deal with them at all. Obviously deciding whether to splash and how to sideboard is a choice, but I'm not talking just mechanically.

If all you have is a box of matches, you can set something on fire, but you can't put it out.

quote:

I'm aware of counters and removal, my question is why does it have to be so restrictive. I'm not saying every colour should be able to do everything, but I don't see why certain things are restricted to that high of a degree. Like I said, there's good reasons, within the colour pie, to give (for example) discard or counterspells to White. You can still have Blue and Black be the best at discard, but have other colours be able to prevent stuff from actually hitting the board.

Hallowed Moonlight is a counterspell. Gods Willing is a counterspell. They don't say "counter target spell" on them in the same way that green removal spells don't say "destroy target creature", but that's what they are.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Ashiok is my favourite 'walker and I hope he gains MegaVillain status soon as he deserves it. Vraska was my first PW Card and the ult is brilliant. Even when I have the tokens stolen then swung at me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

True, but I'm not aware of Lorwyn's walkers having any particular story beyond existing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That doesn't really count, come on.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I dunno I'm pretty sure it wasn't a coreset.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mikujin posted:

I dunno I'm pretty sure it wasn't a coreset.

It was reprinted in a core set, so technically it is a core set Chandra

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Hallowed Moonlight is a counterspell. Gods Willing is a counterspell. They don't say "counter target spell" on them in the same way that green removal spells don't say "destroy target creature", but that's what they are.
They're extremely narrow though - a hoser and a way to prevent your opponent from interacting with you respectively. If blue (and I guess black to some extent) is the only colour that meaningfully interact with spells on the stack that puts a real limit on how powerful they can make combos and non-permanents in general.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They're extremely narrow though - a hoser and a way to prevent your opponent from interacting with you respectively. If blue (and I guess black to some extent) is the only colour that meaningfully interact with spells on the stack that puts a real limit on how powerful they can make combos and non-permanents in general.

Not particularly, they just have to tie the spells to board state through cost (i.e. requires ramp to cast reasonable) or through condition (additional costs of saccing creatures or exiling cards, etc)

That way you can interact with the set up to the spell but still let it be powerful.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is exactly my point. Gods Willing counters a very specific kind of spell (a spell that targets a single creature). As it is now, Blue and Black are the only colours that can PREVENT something from coming down. If you have a creature with a solid ETB effect, no other colour can prevent it from happening, and for no good reason. White especially seems like a shoe-in for discard or counterspells, it's already shown to be able to be oppressive and tyrannical, why can't a crime (spell) be prevented while it's happening?

I'm not saying that every colour needs do everything the same. I'm 100% cool with Blue being the best at counters, Black being the best at discard. But there's some stuff that I feel more colours need to be able to do, particularly card drawing which is a fundamental thing to the game. Red's new exile-and-play, that's a good idea in the right direction IMO.

And that's not even getting to the whole Flying thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Every color has evasion

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sure we'll see more stuff like green getting fight as a way to have removal spells and red getting time-sensitive card draw in the future, it's just that Magic design is really conservative nowadays so they try not to blow anyone's mind with too many scary new concepts in quick succession.

That said, discard and counters are never going to be any good outside of black and respectively blue because wizards hates mechanics that might make someone sad.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Counters aren't good inside of Blue now

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Counters aren't good inside of Blue now

Seriously, I want Mana Leak back SO BAD

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Serperoth posted:

This is exactly my point. Gods Willing counters a very specific kind of spell (a spell that targets a single creature). As it is now, Blue and Black are the only colours that can PREVENT something from coming down. If you have a creature with a solid ETB effect, no other colour can prevent it from happening, and for no good reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My favorite walker card is probably Ashiok. The best walker is Ral Zarek because

Alris posted:

he out-smugs Niv Mizzet, a dragon so far up his own rear end he gives himself heartburn.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I feel like they could print Meddling Mage in mono-white and it's weird that they decided to give a similar ability to some mono-blue idiot.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

I feel like they could print Meddling Mage in mono-white and it's weird that they decided to give a similar ability to some mono-blue idiot.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh. Right.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Serperoth posted:

This is exactly my point. Gods Willing counters a very specific kind of spell (a spell that targets a single creature). As it is now, Blue and Black are the only colours that can PREVENT something from coming down. If you have a creature with a solid ETB effect, no other colour can prevent it from happening, and for no good reason. White especially seems like a shoe-in for discard or counterspells, it's already shown to be able to be oppressive and tyrannical, why can't a crime (spell) be prevented while it's happening?

And red is the only color that can directly damage players, so what? Should blue then also have burn? Red has efficient burn spells and white has answers to everything, which is why giving those colors card draw that is on par with blue's card draw would be too strong. Mark Rosewater explains this on several occasions, and he really knows his stuff when it comes to the color pie.

And also, pretty much anything can be justified with flavor reasons, but that doesn't mean that it's good for the way the game plays out.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The thing is that blue is the best at card drawing because it has so few other ways of getting card advantage. There are very few blue 2-for-1s that don't involve drawing cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Some guy at my LGS offered to bet me $10K last night that if you have a thoppter that has been Ensoul'ed and the Ensoul gets exiled by Ugin, that the Thoppter is still a 5/5. I wonder if he will show up next week to pay...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Some guy at my LGS offered to bet me $10K last night that if you have a thoppter that has been Ensoul'ed and the Ensoul gets exiled by Ugin, that the Thoppter is still a 5/5. I wonder if he will show up next week to pay...
This is that "meddling mage stops the named spell from being cast forever, even if you kill it" bullshit all over again, but thankfully most people have access to the internet these days and can look up the very basic rule involved.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

This is that "meddling mage stops the named spell from being cast forever, even if you kill it" bullshit all over again, but thankfully most people have access to the internet these days and can look up the very basic rule involved.

That rule is so basic I didn't even know where to find a ruling other than to call a judge friend of mine and put him on speaker lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

:psyduck: What the hell? What was the case that he was trying to make?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

:psyduck: What the hell? What was the case that he was trying to make?

I guess that the Thoppter was "leveled up" like a Figure of Destiny or something? IDK

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

mcmagic posted:

It's like one of your posts came to life

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

That rule is so basic I didn't even know where to find a ruling other than to call a judge friend of mine and put him on speaker lol.
112.3d Static abilities are written as statements. They’re simply true. Static abilities create continuous effects which are active while the permanent with the ability is on the battlefield and has the ability, or while the object with the ability is in the appropriate zone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The thing is that blue is the best at card drawing because it has so few other ways of getting card advantage. There are very few blue 2-for-1s that don't involve drawing cards.

Fact or Fiction :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fact or Fiction :eng101:

Now now, don't be overly literal.

• Locked thread