Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remb
Feb 2, 2014

drat, those Korean corporations must be colluding with hackers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

way it was explained to me is that it's basically a keylogger and that who it forwards to is a mystery. maybe its bad enough that anyone can hook into it and gather info, who knows?

There's no evidence that it has any sort of keylogger at all. Just a bunch of hearsay and panic from people who haven't even looked at it. Something like that would absolutely get flagged by any good virus protection.

What there actually is evidence that it does is:

- Runs while the game itself is active (and closes when the game closes).
- Must be run with elevated privileges.
- Reads your USN Journal (change log of all files on your computer).
- Scans potentially your whole harddrive (and local network) and your active running processes against a db of known hacks (it's a very simple blacklist scanner).
- Has some sort of heartbeat back to it's server and the game of course.
- Has the capability to report some information about your harddrive's files to their server if it wants (supposedly just metadata)

What Neople has claimed about it:

quote:

There are many questions about XIGNCODE 3, a security software for DFO, so we are giving you some answers.
- XIGNCODE 3 runs/ends with the game client at the same time, so if the client is off, XIGNCODE 3 is also off. It does not run as standalone.
- Unlike one of the forum postings saying, XIGNCODE 3 does not collect any information or contents of private files/folders/chatting logs at all. It only scans the existence of hacking tools or suspicious malwares

In the end you have to make the call if you're okay with it or not. It seems almost entirely benign but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for being paranoid of it. It's definitely the kind of thing that hackers are actively targeting to exploit so even if it's not doing anything itself, there's risk of someone else trying to make it do something nasty.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Mayor McCheese posted:

Can anyone confirm if the combat is just you making GBS threads out a ton of hits at once or if there's a class that does? Was the thing I liked about RO.

I assume this is not the case or no one bumped into this.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Gearman posted:

A "blue" version of a mob will give you a giant pile of XP when killed, usually two or three levels worth.

When we finally quit because of the grind we were around 68 character level and 11 class level (Rank 3), and blue mobs were giving about 6 or 7 percent of a class level and somewhere between 15 and 30 percent of a character level. This exp is likely split in a party though.

Gearman posted:

Even before level 30 you'll probably have to start grinding on mobs before going to the next area or tackling the next bunch of quests.

It's likely that you missed a bunch of optional quests and bosses, because we never had to grind out enemies until near 45, which is where the first plateau is (the first 5 or so levels after 45 require relatively little exp). Being in a party the whole time might have helped with this. At level 68 I figured achieving Rank 4 would take 10+ hours of grinding so we all gave up. I kind of regret giving up now.

Also the game auto suggests party members that fit your criteria to join your party and I got matched up with Silento. He was ok, I guess, but he wasn't a linker or anything.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ah, yeah I was solo and I remember leaving the mines at 25 and getting to the next area and everything was 28+. It was a bit rough. I'm not sure how I feel about the XP scrolls. They did help smooth out some of those plateaus, but I'm not sure why we couldn't have just been given more quest XP, especially when mobs jump up so many levels from one quest area to the next.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
We were consistently 6-10 levels below the mobs we were fighting.

Where's your rank, bro? v

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 12, 2015

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:smug:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Tyberius posted:

Weird seeing monks in this game with a mace/shield. Or are fist weapons just very rare/attained after becoming a monk? I'm curious if they will ever feel like the monks from RO. If I remember correctly they had a punch combo system, right?

There's no fist weapons at this point in time.

Arzachel posted:

I know it's my fault for getting hyped over a kmmo, but :smith:

The reason that they don't have seperate cosmetic item slots is that you have to draw every animation for every class for each funny belt or w/e you add to the game. Costumes are far better bang for the buck at that point.

In RO times, sure. But ToS characters are not actually sprites, they are regular old models.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i would enjoy playing this

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Det_no posted:

In RO times, sure. But ToS characters are not actually sprites, they are regular old models.

That still applies for models pre-rendered to sprites, or are you saying that the characters are models shaded to look like sprites?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It will be strange not playing on a private server

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

The character models in TOS are 3d models that are textured and lit to look like 2d sprites.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

What am I looking at here, a leaderboard for each monster and the times they've been killed?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yep!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I want to play this so bad, i hope it releases this year

i just cant wait :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

The character models in TOS are 3d models that are textured and lit to look like 2d sprites.

Huh? Are you sure about that?

From what I remember, they said players are 2d, and enemies are 3d. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but they don't look "fake 2d" in the vidyas.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
This site (unfortunately last updated in January) has a lot of the models from the first Korean beta.

http://www.tos-db.com/classmodels

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Huh? Are you sure about that?

From what I remember, they said players are 2d, and enemies are 3d. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but they don't look "fake 2d" in the vidyas.

Very sure. For one, it's the quickest and easiest way of getting multiple angles and animations for the character sprites. Having to draw each piece of armor and body part in eight different angles, and in various animations is a giant headache. It's much quicker and more efficient to just make a 3d model, texture it, and find a rendering and lighting solution that can make those pre-defined angles look 2d. It's a very significant savings in time. If you're interested in seeing a similar process, Subatomic Studios uses it for Fieldrunners and Fieldrunners 2, and they've got a little video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqDWsdGzeE

Also, there was a blog post where they mention that character art uses 3d models built from 2d concepts, and then rendered as 2d sprites. You can find that blog post here: http://treeofsaviorgame.com/review/1197/ros-successor-tos-first-cbt-preview/

Edit: There's also that ^^^ which is pretty neat. Shame some of the rigs are busted :(

Gearman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

Very sure. For one, it's the quickest and easiest way of getting multiple angles and animations for the character sprites. Having to draw each piece of armor and body part in eight different angles, and in various animations is a giant headache.

Oh I know. I just thought they went the olde RO way, but with a bigger budget/less pixel art. Guess not.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Oh I know. I just thought they went the olde RO way, but with a bigger budget/less pixel art. Guess not.

Yeah it's just not a very cost effective solution unfortunately. By doing it this way, they can very quickly make a new hat, or cat ears or whatever, and render out all of the angles needed for it very quickly. It's an order of magnitude faster than having an artist attempt to paint that same hat in eight or sixteen or however many player angles that they allow for. To their credit, their texture work is so good that it's fooling quite a few people anyway. I don't think it really matters if they're 3d models or not, as long as the final product looks good.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

GlenQuagmire posted:

This site (unfortunately last updated in January) has a lot of the models from the first Korean beta.

http://www.tos-db.com/classmodels
Gonna play a Chronomancer just for the outrageous pocketwatch.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kylra posted:

Gonna play a Chronomancer just for the outrageous pocketwatch.

Gotta name your character Flavor Flav tho.

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Next time around (if I'm in beta again) or when the game comes out I definitely wanna level with someone!

Are there any bonuses or perks to leveling with another person/party? (boosted EXP, etc)

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Crateria posted:

Next time around (if I'm in beta again) or when the game comes out I definitely wanna level with someone!

Are there any bonuses or perks to leveling with another person/party? (boosted EXP, etc)

The more people you have the more exp monsters give, but it's of course split between players. Still better than soloing though. Unless you're a tank and can kill your entire pull by yourself, then people wanting to "help out" just end up sucking your tit.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

pertinent posted:

The more people you have the more exp monsters give, but it's of course split between players. Still better than soloing though. Unless you're a tank and can kill your entire pull by yourself, then people wanting to "help out" just end up sucking your tit.

LF tank with a big tit to suck on for next beta!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dackel posted:

LF tank with a big tit to suck on for next beta!

Please don't practice sexual depravity in this kmmo thread, it's rated PG-13. Thanks! :wave:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i will accept a key

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I heard Silento has a secret dev connection and will get us all keys. True story Eonwe, true story!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
You better come through on this Silento.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you based silento

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for the key Silento!

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
>.>
<.<
>.>
pssst....I heard you got keys....
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I am going to collect all of the hats.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Silento told me he'd sell me a key for $50 and then ran off with my money, he can't be trusted!

I bet he spent it on Nexonbux for MapleStory while he waits for ToS to come out

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
I'll probably play this for the nostalgia after spending so much time botting RO as a kid.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is someone really giving out keys or is this a mean joke... I can't tell :smith:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Silento I already promised friends those keys ahead of time, you really need to dish them out. 3 would be great tia.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Checked out some PvP videos on YouTube and am pretty stoked to plan out some PvP specific character builds. Just hope that they increase the exp rates since everyone seems to be reporting it being insanely grindy even at lv30 and that means less motivation for rerolling characters :[

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

There are so few invites compared to people interested in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if people were paying hundreds for access.
How much was Archeage alpha? $200?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Is someone really giving out keys or is this a mean joke... I can't tell :smith:

Its a mean joke. If Silento had keys I would be playing ToS isntead of sadposting.

• Locked thread