Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes? The materiel shortages experienced by Japan in the lead-up to their final surrender was the product of years and years of the gradual strangulation of their economy.

Like, if you're arguing that at some point the troops would be too hungry to function, that was already happening.

Well then they should have continued the blockade then, tightening ring as were.

Anyway If the troops were to hungry to function, then why continue to attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I don't believe I said anything about them being war crimes or not in that post.

U.S. high command, for one. One of the operations against the Japanese islands was literally called Operation Starvation.

Yes because an operation is called Operation Starvation it clearly means that they were going to literally starve Japan.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

U.S. high command, for one. One of the operations against the Japanese islands was literally called Operation Starvation.

Eh operation names are metaphorical. That's no more proof that the goal was killing millions of civilians with starvation any more than claiming Russia's Operation Uranus was about scoring some sweet German rear end...hmmm on second thought maybe I picked a bad example.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yes because an operation is called Operation Starvation it clearly means that they were going to literally starve Japan.

Japan was (and is) a net importer of foodstuffs. Those imports were targeted, along with all other Japanese shipping, by the "unrestricted" air and submarine campaign waged by the Allies. Result? The Japanese population doesn't get enough food. Add that up and you get starvation.

The name wasn't a metaphor.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The firebombing was part of the overall blockade strategy.

Thus defeating the whole purpose of the blockades in the first place.

And you'd be wrong.

What on Earth do you think "unrestricted air and submarine warfare" means? It's military language for "destroy anything Japanese anywhere you find it".

So it doesn't mean "blockade" then, by your own admission. Unless, we have different definitions of blockade that is.

Giving food to civilians doesn't defeat the purpose of the blockade - its a different way of doing it.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant - you asked why allowing a population to decide to starve itself to death was any different than killing them with bombs. You haven't really addressed that at all except to say "the civilians would have died anyway" which misses the point. I'd say ask anyone if they would rather die right now from a bomb, or face starvation and a bet many would answer the latter.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

klen dool posted:

So it doesn't mean "blockade" then, by your own admission. Unless, we have different definitions of blockade that is.

To be honest, I have no goddamned clue where you got your definition of blockade from.

klen dool posted:

Giving food to civilians doesn't defeat the purpose of the blockade - its a different way of doing it.

Your ideas of how to carry out a blockade are totally ludicrous in the context of the Second World War. They don't accord with the military doctrine of any country of that time. You are, in three words, not even wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 13, 2015

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Japan was (and is) a net importer of foodstuffs. Those imports were targeted, along with all other Japanese shipping, by the "unrestricted" air and submarine campaign waged by the Allies. Result? The Japanese population doesn't get enough food. Add that up and you get starvation.

The name wasn't a metaphor.

It yielded tangible military benefits and was primarily done for that reason.

Might this specific mining campaign still constitute war crimes? Maybe.

It's still less obviously a war crime than indiscriminate bombing of civilians.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

klen dool posted:

Anyway, this is all irrelevant - you asked why allowing a population to decide to starve itself to death was any different than killing them with bombs. You haven't really addressed that at all except to say "the civilians would have died anyway" which misses the point. I'd say ask anyone if they would rather die right now from a bomb, or face starvation and a bet many would answer the latter.

Obviously if the USAAF paradropped crates of food labeled "for civilians only please do not give to military personnel" in multiple languages then the IJA would have been obliged to abide by that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KaptainKrunk posted:

It yielded tangible military benefits

So did the atomic bombs.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

So did the atomic bombs.

Not proportional to the damage caused to civilians; hence, war crimes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Obviously if the USAAF paradropped crates of food labeled "for civilians only please do not give to military personnel" in multiple languages then the IJA would have been obliged to abide by that.

If the purpose of the blockade is to keep Japan from resupplying its troops in China, then yes this would still accomplish that.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

That would be on them, and their troops in China would still be undersupplied.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

klen dool posted:

By the last two years of the war, U.S. submarines and aircraft had shredded the Japanese merchant marine to the point where a lot of patrols came back without any sinkings, because there just weren't many ships left to sink. As an island nation, Japan was utterly dependent on imports (and a case can be made that this was a major trigger for war in its own right - the oil embargo in response to the invasion of China was a big reason tensions became so high leading up to Pearl Harbor). When the U.S. Navy is able to bring subs basically onto the beach and airplanes are raiding coasts with impunity, and they're all targeting merchant shipping whenever it is found, it's a bit hard to argue that there was no blockade.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

klen dool posted:

But I think the extreme reaction that sets the fat man and little boy apart is that people remember the arsenal built up by the us and ussr, and kind of back-port the very real fear that the world can wiped out onto a nuclear naive world of the past. It's not rational, understandable but not rational.

This isn't true by the way, although it's been said many times in this thread. The threat of the Cold War was understood even before dropping the bomb. Actually about 70 scientists from the Manhattan Project sent a letter to Truman pleading him to not drop the bomb on Japan. Largely because they understood the threat a nuclear arms race would pose.

quote:

A PETITION TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

Discoveries of which the people of the United States are not aware may affect the welfare of this nation in the near future. The liberation of atomic power which has been achieved places atomic bombs in the hands of the Army. It places in your hands, as Commander-in-Chief, the fateful decision whether or not to sanction the use of such bombs in the present phase of the war against Japan.

We, the undersigned scientists, have been working in the field of atomic power. Until recently, we have had to fear that the United States might be attacked by atomic bombs during this war and that her only defense might lie in a counterattack by the same means. Today, with the defeat of Germany, this danger is averted and we feel impelled to say what follows:

The war has to be brought speedily to a successful conclusion and attacks by atomic bombs may very well be an effective method of warfare. We feel, however, that such attacks on Japan could not be justified, at least not unless the terms which will be imposed after the war on Japan were made public in detail and Japan were given an opportunity to surrender.

If such public announcement gave assurance to the Japanese that they could look forward to a life devoted to peaceful pursuits in their homeland and if Japan still refused to surrender our nation might then, in certain circumstances, find itself forced to resort to the use of atomic bombs. Such a step, however, ought not to be made at any time without seriously considering the moral responsibilities which are involved.

The development of atomic power will provide the nations with new means of destruction. The atomic bombs at our disposal represent only the first step in this direction, and there is almost no limit to the destructive power which will become available in the course of their future development. Thus a nation which sets the precedent of using these newly liberated forces of nature for purposes of destruction may have to bear the responsibility of opening the door to an era of devastation on an unimaginable scale.

If after this war a situation is allowed to develop in the world which permits rival powers to be in uncontrolled possession of these new means of destruction, the cities of the United States as well as the cities of other nations will be in continuous danger of sudden annihilation. All the resources of the United States, moral and material, may have to be mobilized to prevent the advent of such a world situation. Its prevention is at present the solemn responsibility of the United States — singled out by virtue of her lead in the field of atomic power.

The added material strength which this lead gives to the United States brings with it the obligation of restraint and if we were to violate this obligation our moral position would be weakened in the eyes of the world and in our own eyes. It would then be more difficult for us to live up to our responsibility of bringing the unloosened forces of destruction under control.

In view of the foregoing, we, the undersigned, respectfully petition: first, that you exercise your power as Commander-in-Chief, to rule that the United States shall not resort to the use of atomic bombs in this war unless the terms which will be imposed upon Japan have been made public in detail and Japan knowing these terms has refused to surrender; second, that in such an event the question whether or not to use atomic bombs be decided by you in light of the considerations presented in this petition as well as all the other moral responsibilities which are involved.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Chomskyan posted:

This isn't true by the way, although it's been said many times in this thread. The threat of the Cold War was understood even before dropping the bomb. Actually about 70 scientists from the Manhattan Project sent a letter to Truman pleading him to not drop the bomb on Japan. Largely because they understood the threat a nuclear arms race would pose.

I wasn't around before the bomb - and I have the irrational feeling that the bomb is worse because its atomic and because of the cold war. But, I see your point - "we" were not naive to the effects pre bombings.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

N00ba the Hutt posted:

By the last two years of the war, U.S. submarines and aircraft had shredded the Japanese merchant marine to the point where a lot of patrols came back without any sinkings, because there just weren't many ships left to sink. As an island nation, Japan was utterly dependent on imports (and a case can be made that this was a major trigger for war in its own right - the oil embargo in response to the invasion of China was a big reason tensions became so high leading up to Pearl Harbor). When the U.S. Navy is able to bring subs basically onto the beach and airplanes are raiding coasts with impunity, and they're all targeting merchant shipping whenever it is found, it's a bit hard to argue that there was no blockade.

I wasn't arguing that there wasn't a blockade, I just didn't understand the military jargon and the implications of it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well that's obviously not true. If the military and civilians are being fed by the allies, then they might rethink the whole "fight to the last man" idea. Or they may not. Either way, the allies would not be responsible for killing then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

klen dool posted:

Well that's obviously not true. If the military and civilians are being fed by the allies, then they might rethink the whole "fight to the last man" idea. Or they may not. Either way, the allies would not be responsible for killing then.

The only flaw in this reasoning is that anyone suggesting it in 1945 would have been considered batshit insane. Wars weren't then (and aren't now) fought this way.

Again, this isn't even wrong. It's just ludicrous. Like claiming 2 + 2 = $TEXAS

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

klen dool posted:

I don't understand. I think the "be nice and they might surrender then" is a hell of a gamble, and if it fails then you're responsible for more killing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well of course wars weren't fought that way. Isn't that the point of looking back at the wars and going "whoa those were some terrible atrocities, let's agree not to do that again."

More generally, isn't that how we make a lot of laws? Insider trading was just the way business was done in the 20s, then we said "whoops that was terrible let's agree that's a crime from now on".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

klen dool posted:

You'd make a good humanitarian and a lovely general.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I would just like to note that the Berlin Airlift, an operation to feed a single city by landing cargo planes into it for about a year or so, was considered a major achievement that took a great deal of effort and equipment. The population of Berlin at that point was about 2.8 million. The population of Japan proper in 1945 was about 72 million and they were not particularly cooperative about allowing Allied cargo planes to land at their airports.

We may, in other words, as well discuss the morality of nailing the Fuhrerbunker with a moon laser.

Edit: Which would be totally justified, BTW.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nailing anything with a moon laser would never be a war crime on the grounds that it is "kickin rad"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
As long as you're not testing the moon laser on the wives and children of the Nazi leadership, of course.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Well of course wars weren't fought that way. Isn't that the point of looking back at the wars and going "whoa those were some terrible atrocities, let's agree not to do that again."

More generally, isn't that how we make a lot of laws? Insider trading was just the way business was done in the 20s, then we said "whoops that was terrible let's agree that's a crime from now on".

Only for the most part we have. Nuclear weapons are seen as a weapon of absolute last resort now and the only real "total wars" you have these days are regional in scope at best. Also, those wars typically result in a poo poo load of war crimes being committed since that's what happens in a total war and that's what WW2 was with maybe the exception of the western front. The countries involved though knew this, accepted it, and that's how they ran their war which caused everyone to run the war that way.

Something you said on the other page about how the USSR was more justified than the US when it came to brutality since on the eastern front the Geneva Conventions were pretty much non existent was absolutely true. Here's the thing though, if given a choice between the most brutal of the three fronts of the war it's pretty much a toss up between the eastern and pacific ones. It's literally why the famous "1000 yard stare" painting is located in that theater, the pacific war was loving hell and even at it's worst the allies on the western front never had it as bad as a good day on either the eastern or pacific fronts.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 13, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why does there have to be an admission that the atomic bombings were a war crime if we don't fight wars that way anymore regardless?

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why does there have to be an admission that the atomic bombings were a war crime if we don't fight wars that way anymore regardless?

In my opinion how you view history influences your future actions. If firebombing and nuking the Japanese was OK and moral because we had to win the war, than maybe the same goes for all the towns in Isis control?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sounds about right.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

In my opinion how you view history influences your future actions. If firebombing and nuking the Japanese was OK and moral because we had to win the war, than maybe the same goes for all the towns in Isis control?

The approach seems to be to ignore the firebombings and focus on the nukes, though.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Its a false comparison though because we have surgical strikes now.

E:and for a lot of different reasons.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I think the fact that this comparison gets made is a really good example of why this thread goes around and around. The base ineffectiveness of military action against irregular opposition raises the bar immensely for the morality of strikes on ISIS-controlled territory.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I mean the easiest way to get rid of ISIS is to nuke all ISIS-occupied territory, but I don't think anyone worth giving a drat about is advocating for that.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Miltank posted:

Its a false comparison though because we have surgical strikes now.

E:and for a lot of different reasons.

In my opinion there were different alternatives next to your dichotomy of terror-bombing and surgical strikes. I don't think the war would have been lost if we didn't incinerate 350.000 civilians. To make a further comparison: i don't think that the barrel-bombing of cities by the Syrian regime is moral, even though they lack the capacity for surgical strikes.

Chantilly Say posted:

I think the fact that this comparison gets made is a really good example of why this thread goes around and around. The base ineffectiveness of military action against irregular opposition raises the bar immensely for the morality of strikes on ISIS-controlled territory.

I agree that a lack of effectiveness raises the bar, but I've also not yet been convinced of the effectiveness of these campaigns in Japan. Moreover, to me they clearly fail the other two aspects commonly cited for a moral war: The first, the proportionality argument we discussed and appear to disagree on(the harm caused to civilians or civilian property must be proportional and not excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated by an attack on a military objective). The second, distinction is clearly missed( A crime occurs if there is an intentional attack directed against civilians (Article 8(2)(b)(i)) as the target was not an industry but an entire city with the specific aim to burn everything down. The thirds is military necessity: i'm not convinced that burning and killing 40% of every major city in japan was the only way to win the war, i'd say the war was won at that point in time.

Edit: finally, there is a separate argument to be made that terror bombing ISIS could be effective as their entire existence is based on holding ground and people in a caliphate. Without territory and people they are clearly not the holy last caliphate as listed in the Hadith of the Twelve Successors. But this is more suited for the middle east discussion thread.

IAMNOTADOCTOR fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean the easiest way to get rid of ISIS is to nuke all ISIS-occupied territory, but I don't think anyone worth giving a drat about is advocating for that.

If only MAD wasn't a thing now.

But no, even after using the first two devices, Truman found the devices generally unpalatable, which is why he took away LeMay's ability to use them without presidential oversight.

They achieved their purpose and brought the war to a much quicker close.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

It was a matter of the Japanese Navy, Army, and Imperial Family being pretty much in favor of continuing regular combat if Russia didn't respond to them and if the US invaded, which would've meant a continuation of the bombing campaigns and an eventual invasion (MacArthur had already been picked to lead it shortly before the surrender.)

The Japanese had made it pretty clear on Okinawa they were willing to obliterate the lives of their own people to maintain 'order' in the face of the American forces, going so far as to hand out hand grenades to families and even forcing them to use them on themselves, or forcing them to jump off cliffs via coercion or propaganda.

The Okinawa campaign also made it clear that even when the Japanese Imperial Army that knew it was likely to be defeated would cause immense casualties among American forces.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

In my opinion there were different alternatives next to your dichotomy of terror-bombing and surgical strikes. I don't think the war would have been lost if we didn't incinerate 350.000 civilians. To make a further comparison: i don't think that the barrel-bombing of cities by the Syrian regime is moral, even though they lack the capacity for surgical strikes.

They were called strategic bombings and were basically indistinguishable from the terror bombings. Traditional strategic bombings didn't work in Japan because industry was built of wood and spread out in many small workhouses around the cities. Barrel bombs don't serve any strategic purpose other than brutalizing a civilian population.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 13, 2015

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Miltank posted:

They were called strategic bombings and were basically indistinguishable from the terror bombings. Traditional strategic bombings didn't work in Japan because industry was built of wood and spread out in many small workhouses around the cities. Barrel bombs don't serve any strategic purpose other than brutalizing a civilian population.

90% of the bombs on japan were dropped in the last 5 months if I recall correctly. They were not instrumental in anyway in swinging the naval might in favor of the US. The war was won at that point and Japan was effectively isolated in most economic and military definitions of the word. I'm not trying to be an armchair general and saying I could have done better at the time, I'm proposing that with the benefit of hindsight we should conclude that the actions that were taken in those last 5 months were immoral.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

90% of the bombs on japan were dropped in the last 5 months if I recall correctly. They were not instrumental in anyway in swinging the naval might in favor of the US. The war was won at that point and Japan was effectively isolated in most economic and military definitions of the word. I'm not trying to be an armchair general and saying I could have done better at the time, I'm proposing that with the benefit of hindsight we should conclude that the actions that were taken in those last 5 months were immoral.

Uhhhhhh, no the attacks on their ability to manufacture new aircraft, fuels and even armaments was distinctly helpful in ensuring the remaining Japanese Naval forces were unable to come out to engage the US Navy. Combined with the mining of harbors and submarine attacks on merchant shipping, it helped ensure Japan was REALLY cut off, while destroying what remaining oil stores they had within the country and ensuring they did not have the industrial ability manufacture alternatives.

But that is beside the point: The Japanese had already proven they they did not need or want fuels to continue their war, and had planned their resistance against the coming US Invasion around not having any fuel at all.

And the bombing campaign began in June of 1944 from the China Mainland.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

KaptainKrunk posted:

The blood of those who starved would be on the Japanese government and military for not effectively rationing the food they had, and for not surrendering.

I am fairly certain that people would make the argument that America is solely responsible for mass starvation and needs to apologise.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Uhhhhhh, no the attacks on their ability to manufacture new aircraft, fuels and even armaments was distinctly helpful in ensuring the remaining Japanese Naval forces were unable to come out to engage the US Navy. Combined with the mining of harbors and submarine attacks on merchant shipping, it helped ensure Japan was REALLY cut off, while destroying what remaining oil stores they had within the country and ensuring they did not have the industrial ability manufacture alternatives.

But that is beside the point: The Japanese had already proven they they did not need or want fuels to continue their war, and had planned their resistance against the coming US Invasion around not having any fuel at all.

And the bombing campaign began in June of 1944 from the China Mainland.

Around 90 percent of the American tonnage fell in the last five months of the war.[296] (thats the first reference i could find)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raids_on_Japan#cite_ref-296

Is your position that the US was at risk of losing the war if the firebombings of Japanese cities in these last 5 months had not occurred? I wont pretend to be an expert on the pacific theater, but if that is your position and not a straw men set up by me then that is a very odd position.

If the result of not firebombing civilians is that the US had to kick IJN naval but one more time than that is clearly a better outcome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Is your position that the US was at risk of losing the war if the firebombings of Japanese cities in these last 5 months had not occurred? I wont pretend to be an expert on the pacific theater, but if that is your position and not a straw men set up by me then that is a very odd position.

No, the position is that if you think the nuclear weapons and the firebombing campaigns were immoral, you don't want to know how many Japanese were likely to die in the Invasion of Japan, likely at their own hands. Again, Okinawa:

quote:

In its history of the war, the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum[53] presents Okinawa as being caught between the United States and the Empire of Japan in the fighting. During the 1945 battle, the Japanese Army showed indifference to Okinawans' safety, and its soldiers even used civilians as human shields against the Americans, or just outright murdered them. Japanese military confiscated food from the Okinawans and executed those who hid it, leading to a mass starvation among the population, and forced civilians out of their shelters. Japanese soldiers also killed about 1,000 people who spoke in the Okinawan language in order to suppress spying.[55] The museum writes that "some were blown apart by [artillery] shells, some finding themselves in a hopeless situation were driven to suicide, some died of starvation, some succumbed to malaria, while others fell victim to the retreating Japanese troops."

With the impending victory of American troops, civilians often committed mass suicide, urged on by the Japanese soldiers who told locals that victorious American soldiers would go on a rampage of killing and raping. Ryūkyū Shimpō, one of the two major Okinawan newspapers, wrote in 2007: "There are many Okinawans who have testified that the Japanese Army directed them to commit suicide. There are also people who have testified that they were handed grenades by Japanese soldiers" to blow themselves up.[56] Thousands of the civilians, having been induced by Japanese propaganda to believe that U.S. soldiers were barbarians committing horrible atrocities, killed their families and themselves to avoid capture. Some of them threw themselves and their family members from the southern cliffs where the Peace Museum now resides.[57] However, having been told by the Japanese military that they would suffer terribly at the hands of the arriving Americans if they allowed themselves to be taken alive, Okinawans "were often surprised at the comparatively humane treatment they received from the American enemy."[58][59] Islands of Discontent: Okinawan Responses to Japanese and American Power by Mark Selden, notes that the Americans "did not pursue a policy of torture, rape, and murder of civilians as Japanese military officials had warned."[60] U.S. Military Intelligence Corps[61] combat translators such as Teruto Tsubota managed to convince many civilians not to kill themselves.[62] Survivors of the mass suicides blamed also the indoctrination of their education system of the time, when the Okinawans were taught to become "more Japanese than the Japanese," and expected to prove it.

It didn't help that the Japanese Army had a tendancy to use their own civilians as human shields. I don't know how you think an invasion of Japan would've gone well, or that the Japanese would not resist a embargo to the bitter end.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Around 90 percent of the American tonnage fell in the last five months of the war.[296] (thats the first reference i could find)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raids_on_Japan#cite_ref-296

And this is only because they had to sacrifice bombs for fuel to make the trip from China. Either way, the bombing campaign started a lot earlier than you claimed.

• Locked thread