Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Lambert does seem like the kind of really insecure dude that would be immensely bothered by that but even Geralt's not that much of a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
welp freeing the tree spirit didn't really help anyone. pretty sure that's the reason the crones killed anna, because they were pissed at losing the kids. on the upside though at least the baron is dead so that's a nice positive!

Well not for the people of velen admittedly.

Okay definitely gunna make different choices next time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It worked out for the kids.

Velen is screwed in both scenarios. As is Anna.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Sharmat posted:

Lambert does seem like the kind of really insecure dude that would be immensely bothered by that but even Geralt's not that much of a dick.

During one of the main quests there is a section where Lambert can tell you about the time he jumped out of a window to avoid being caught sleeping with a guy's wife, and says it wasn't a matter of being scared but because it was a good friend and he didn't want to (get caught) breaking up his marriage.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Geralt showin' some sass in a lategame quest.

"We're not just some pack of wolves you can fend off with your sword."
"Yes you are, and yes I can."

gently caress I love this game.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That Philippa spoiler is implied on her banter you-know-where. Knowing Emhyr, I doubt she'd find that job as easy as among Northern kings.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

It worked out for the kids.

Velen is screwed in both scenarios. As is Anna.

Really disagree that this is the better outcome. Don't forget that the tree spirit is some crazy-rear end archdemon, and freeing it will inflict untold horrors upon the world. Even if the game never tells you about them, there's no way thunderhorse isn't up to something very bad elsewhere in the world.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snow Job posted:

Really disagree that this is the better outcome. Don't forget that the tree spirit is some crazy-rear end archdemon, and freeing it will inflict untold horrors upon the world. Even if the game never tells you about them, there's no way thunderhorse isn't up to something very bad elsewhere in the world.

There's a book in the game the describes it as the mother of the crones. She only asked for sacrifices of grain and wheat from the people, but started to go crazy and the crones imprisoned her soul or some poo poo in the forest and she's pissed. Neither decision is good at the time you make it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Snow Job posted:

So what? Something is very bad elsewhere in the world and there's nothing you can do about it. There's no proof it was an archdemon, but a druid that was bum rushed by the deplorable, wicked crones.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress you if you let kids get eaten. That's basically the only good thing to come out of that quest. Whatever that spirit was before killed people and the crones are the crones. Any of them being loose in the world sucks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

I seem to be burning through my summer backlog pretty quickly. I see that Greenmangaming has Witcher 3 for sale for half off but they're out of stock somehow. Is there anyplace else that I can get this game for PC for cheaper than $60?

Fly to Poland and buy it there because the Zloty price is like $30 (I bought this when I was visiting Poland in June)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Tree Spirit is the same kind of thing the Crones are probably. But I'm not gonna trust a book that says the heroic Ladies defeated their totally evil mother for the good of everyone and definitely not for power, guys! Nor do I think Geralt would so willingly work for something so obviously horrible and just let a bunch of kids get eaten. It's a calculated risk. And if we're purely talking outcomes...Anna doesn't deserve to suffer like that for the rest of her life. That moment of sanity and happiness before she dies is the closest that arc gets to a happy ending.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't think that stuff is ever explicitly mentioned in this game

She actually runs away at first and then comes back out of shame. And Yennefer kills herself trying to use some healing magic on Geralt and Triss just kinda stands there without helping or trying to stop her. Though Triss does save Geralt after the Tower of Gulls coup d'etat. I think that's the one entirely selfless thing she does for Geralt in the books. Even when she came to Kaer Morhen she was just doing it to try and sleep with Geralt.

She's a cowardly idiot and a terrible judge of character who is still seeking approval from Phillipa and the rest of the lodge, but she is at heart a nice person, which is why she comes back for Geralt and Yen at Rivia. Her worst crimes are always committed when hiding under Phillipa's skirts.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Romes128 posted:

gently caress you if you let kids get eaten. That's basically the only good thing to come out of that quest. Whatever that spirit was before killed people and the crones are the crones. Any of them being loose in the world sucks.

The tree spirit was an obvious liar and I killed it. Also I killed it so that Anna might live and somehow recover from her madness.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Crones did nothing wrong, those kids were gonna starve to death anyway. Truth be told, I was a little surprised when you meet The Crones for the second time. Ciri wants revenge on Imlerith and you travel for what seems like days to get to Bald Mountain. When you get there, you're both suddenly like "let's kill The Crones, too". And to boot, Ciri ends up fighting them instead of Imlerith. Like, wasn't the whole reason you went there for her to avenge Vesemir's death herself?. The Crones aren't particularly nice, and I guess they were about to do bad things to Ciri. But it seems they really do protect the land. And they give people magic acorns! All in exchange for a few paltry body parts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Romes128 posted:

There are kids in downwarren you know, how do know which set of kids is better to kill? I think the body count is higher all-around if you let the tree spirit out, which makes it the wrong choice in my eyes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I just finished the whole "where the Cat and Wolf Play" quest. :stare: Totally sided with the witcher. Those fucks tried to cheat him and then murder him over a handful of coins when they previously agreed to pay way more than that. I would have murdered them too. He did go overboard, and I probably would have killed him if he killed the little girl. But I can't really bring myself to blame the guy for the kind of rage that might come over someone when they've killed a leshen for a village, asked to be paid, told they only have a handful of coins, lied and lured into a trap where they attempt to murder him so as to not pay him. At least things ended up well for the little girl. The reaction of the aunt at the end was pretty good.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

All in exchange for a few paltry body parts.

And children, some sent for as little a reason as they spilled some milk.

Ciri's gonna have to kill every chicken in that room.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Crones take care of the people of Velen the way a farmer takes care of their cattle.

I bet you guys thought the Morlocks were the heroes of H.G. Wells' Time Machine and are probably communists on top of it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

The Crones take care of the people of Velen the way a farmer takes care of their cattle.

I bet you guys thought the Morlocks were the heroes of H.G. Wells' Time Machine and are probably communists on top of it.

Yeah right? I mean they're horrible monsters who eat children. But isn't society the real villain?

No. It's the crones.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Crones did nothing wrong, those kids were gonna starve to death anyway. Truth be told, I was a little surprised when you meet The Crones for the second time. Ciri wants revenge on Imlerith and you travel for what seems like days to get to Bald Mountain. When you get there, you're both suddenly like "let's kill The Crones, too". And to boot, Ciri ends up fighting them instead of Imlerith. Like, wasn't the whole reason you went there for her to avenge Vesemir's death herself?. The Crones aren't particularly nice, and I guess they were about to do bad things to Ciri. But it seems they really do protect the land. And they give people magic acorns! All in exchange for a few paltry body parts.

If you walk around Velen you will hear children say things like "My mommy says if I'm good they'll send me on the trail of treats"
You'll also overhear conversations like 'I sent my kid into the woods last night to pick some mushrooms, doesn't matter if they die, more food for the others'

I have basically zero compassion for the adults in Velen. They use kids as kind of sick currency.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't with the Crones. I went with them because they were a known rather than an unknown consequence and enough information around the land gave adequate reason to believe that they would honour their deal.

The alternative option was filled with too much uncertainty.

Basically that quest line was typical Witcher - no good or evil, just consequences.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

She's a cowardly idiot and a terrible judge of character who is still seeking approval from Phillipa and the rest of the lodge, but she is at heart a nice person, which is why she comes back for Geralt and Yen at Rivia. Her worst crimes are always committed when hiding under Phillipa's skirts.

I do agree that she isn't doing anything out of spite and she wants to work towards the greater good, but she is willing to leave her friends out in the cold to do that. She usually has good intentions but I don't think she's actually a good person when it comes down to it. Keep in mind that her going to Rivia with them has to do with the Lodge forcing Ciri to be some puppet breeding stock for whatever noble they feel fit to saddle her with. Triss just voted to give them some time together as a family at the end and it backfired. She basically says she's going to try and convince Geralt to not have a fit over the Lodge's decision.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Triss has "good intentions" but when your judgement is so poo poo that what you think is good is almost universally really bad that doesn't do you much credit. I mean almost everyone has good intentions if you go back far enough.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

if only she did something to prove how much she cares about her friends, like get all of her fingernails ripped out

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If only she wasn't party to kidnapping Yennefer and blackmailing her into joining the Lodge by holding Ciri's well being over her head
If only she hadn't tried to force Ciri into being some lord's illegitimate lover as a part of some awful breeding program
If only she didn't basically drug Geralt and make him sleep with her
If only she never lied to you when you had amnesia to make you sleep with her

If only

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

I just finished the whole "where the Cat and Wolf Play" quest. :stare: Totally sided with the witcher. Those fucks tried to cheat him and then murder him over a handful of coins when they previously agreed to pay way more than that. I would have murdered them too. He did go overboard, and I probably would have killed him if he killed the little girl. But I can't really bring myself to blame the guy for the kind of rage that might come over someone when they've killed a leshen for a village, asked to be paid, told they only have a handful of coins, lied and lured into a trap where they attempt to murder him so as to not pay him. At least things ended up well for the little girl. The reaction of the aunt at the end was pretty good.

Did you visist his stash afterwards? I thought the choice was pretty clear-cut at first. But inside there are a number of plaques, some empty, some with monster trophies on them. Geralt always keeps his trophies, but when you walk up to these he comments something along the lines of "Hmm, wonder why he has all these trophies? Maybe he got cheated before?" Made me think maybe there was more to the story than what he told, since we only get to hear his side of it. Also, he gives Geralt directions and some bandits just happen to stumble upon the place at the same time? But maybe I'm reading too much into it and he just likes collecting that stuff, like (my) Geralt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if only she did something to prove how much she cares about her friends, like get all of her fingernails ripped out

No one's saying she doesn't care. We're just saying her judgement is awful and she's really bad at making decisions unless Geralt or Yennefer is around to chaperone her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Did you visist his stash afterwards? I thought the choice was pretty clear-cut at first. But inside there are a number of plaques, some empty, some with monster trophies on them. Geralt always keeps his trophies, but when you walk up to these he comments something along the lines of "Hmm, wonder why he has all these trophies? Maybe he got cheated before?" Made me think maybe there was more to the story than what he told, since we only get to hear his side of it. Also, he gives Geralt directions and some bandits just happen to stumble upon the place at the same time? But maybe I'm reading too much into it and he just likes collecting that stuff, like (my) Geralt.

The Cat witcher is a goddamn lunatic who butchers people when they shortchange him (that one village is not an isolated case) and responds with, at best, a pissy mea culpa if anyone's still got enough blood in them to call him out afterwards. I punted his head down the graveyard path and it was the single most satisfying kill I had all game.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

i'm just going to put this out there, that yennefer is the best female in the witcher since triss in the first one. triss has just unraveled throughout the entire series, and i'm pretty bitter about it.

'till they delivered yennefer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Sharmat posted:

No one's saying she doesn't care. We're just saying her judgement is awful and she's really bad at making decisions unless Geralt or Yennefer is around to chaperone her.

look at manatee canyon's post lol

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fractale posted:

i'm just going to put this out there, that yennefer is the best female in the witcher since triss in the first one. triss has just unraveled throughout the entire series, and i'm pretty bitter about it.

'till they delivered yennefer.

Triss in TW1 is Yennefer lite, down to outright having multiple lines of dialogue stolen directly from Yennefer in the books. TW2 Triss is the real Triss.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Those are all things that happened. What of it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm not saying she's evil; I'm saying that one thing she does can't counteract all the lovely things she has done over time. Everything I said actually happened in this series and they were all really bad things for her to do.

edit: y'know, manatee canyon wouldn't be a bad name now that I think about it

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The Cat witcher is a goddamn lunatic who butchers people when they shortchange him (that one village is not an isolated case) and responds with, at best, a pissy mea culpa if anyone's still got enough blood in them to call him out afterwards. I punted his head down the graveyard path and it was the single most satisfying kill I had all game.

Where is the proof for this? The guy mentions that he's used to getting shortchanged, but definitely not used to getting murdered to avoid payment.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah and the racist rear end in a top hat peasants who try to murder a professional instead of paying him the agreed upon sum are so noble and great.

Everyone in the witcher world is a huge jerk-off but at least the Cat Witcher is fair enough to actually uphold his side of a bargain.

Obviously though Triss is not a good person.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Aha. You know for certain, though?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Everyone in the witcher world is a huge jerk-off

Saskia isn't.

Or wasn't. Thanks, Phil.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Where is the proof for this? The guy mentions that he's used to getting shortchanged, but definitely not used to getting murdered to avoid payment.

Besides the empty trophy stands, if you push the conversation far enough to where Geralt's openly condemning him, he asked the Cat witcher if he's done this village-killing shindig before. The Cat witcher just grins and says nothing.

I kill psychopathic bandits ten times a day for looking at me funny in that game, I'm not going to spare one more just because he's got the same eyeballs as my PC.

e: and yes, it's understandable to kill some dudes who tried to surprise-pitchfork you. Less so if they executed that gambit because you threatened to stab them for dereliction of payment. Even less so if you stride out into the village proper afterward and start stabbing innocent men and women in the back. Stabbing doesn't solve everything, guy! Ever heard what happens to people who live by the sword?

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 13, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Saskia isn't.

Or wasn't. Thanks, Phil.

Radovid is definitely the Witcher-verse Hitler

But Phillipa is like if there was some incredibly evil Jewish supervillain that totally justified Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious if all the people who sided with the Cat Witcher know what happens when you fight him. Since he's pretty injured when you find him, he asks if he can have a swig of Swallow before you try to kill him. If you say yes, he makes fun of you and blinds you with a bomb instead. He's totally the epitome of honor justice.