Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Gearwrench is a good tool all around. I bought a ratchet that was gearwrench and its amazing and I also got an SAE/METRIC ratcheting wrench set for 50 bucks at sears during a sale. Which they actually often have for sale. There non reversible but there a big set and are smaller then the ones with the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

Nice, I actually just bought one of those in the 13 foot size this weekend and haven't had a chance to use it. I was a little annoyed spending $100 on a ladder, but it looked really well built and I can break it down to store in a closet when needed.
:iia:

mod sassinator posted:

Oh speaking of those lights I saw Costco has long LED replacement flouro tubes too. Good option if you already have flourescent tubes in your garage/workshop.

:aaaaa:

I bet that means... yes... it does exist! Direct LED replacement bulbs for halogen worklights! No more accidental burns!

Though, at ten bucks a pop, I'm just better off getting the costco snap on led work light, aren't I?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought the GearWrench metric and SAE non reversible master sets. Haven't used them yet, but the finish on them is not great. Not necessarily a big deal on tools that are going to get beat up at some point, but it's definitely noticeable.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I bet that means... yes... it does exist! Direct LED replacement bulbs for halogen worklights! No more accidental burns!

Though, at ten bucks a pop, I'm just better off getting the costco snap on led work light, aren't I?

The reviews are almost all terrible on those. Even the 4 and 5 star reviews are "this is good but keep in mind that..." and they appear to be the same BS flavor as automotive "LED upgrade bulbz" from Autozone/Ebay. In my book, 750 lumens is not an adequate replacement for 6,000 lumens. v:v:v

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately that's kind of the impression I got too...

Maybe another couple of years :sigh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We have 10, 30, 50, 70 and 100w led floodlights at work, believe me they make an led flood bright enough for your needs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

quote:

100w led floodlights

Oh drat, I can't imagine how bright a 100W LED light would be. I have a 3 watt light and it's like the surface of the sun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll snap you a pic later.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yes. Think about it, the thing you linked is trying to work around a reflector meant for a bulb. A proper LED light like that Snapon-labeled one is one bigass panel of LEDs all aimed straight out. It's awesome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mod sassinator posted:

Oh drat, I can't imagine how bright a 100W LED light would be. I have a 3 watt light and it's like the surface of the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkFLPmdE9ag

Go big or go home.

E: no money shot, found the 120w one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWA1LA5te7A

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 12, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm not overly impressed by GearWrenches in general. I got a set this spring and I can say that almost every time I reached for a GearWrench for some task, it often got put back in the toolbox and I would use a conventional box wrench to finish the job.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Has anyone found a tap/die set where the T-handle is not complete poo poo?

I have an SAE and a metric set, and the T-handles for both get almost zero purchase on the square end of the tap. As soon as there is any resistance, the handle rolls over the corners which are a bit rounded, even those taps I've never used. I usually grab an adjustable crescent to proceed with the tap, but wonder what other handles or sets might work better.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I've got a set of Vermont American tap wrenches that I like, but they're not much better than the ones you get for $10 on eBay. Look for a cast body and hardened jaws.

My starret t-handles suck. The jaws aren't lined up with the body so they are a bitch to center. T-handles kind of suck anyway.

e: Don't buy tap and die sets. Buy piecemeal.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I usually recommend the older USA made Irwin kits you can find off eBay. The handles are decent and for $40 per set, it's hard to beat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I'll snap you a pic later.

Couldn't get a picture, it's in a cast ally housing like a halogen flood but flatter, 2 1.5" led elements, apocalyptically bright at short range but still acts like a single point of light so of limited use. We have 6 70w units on each of the internal cranes mounted 11m up, on their own they provide enough light to do delicate and precision work at ground level.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

Has anyone found a tap/die set where the T-handle is not complete poo poo?

I have an SAE and a metric set, and the T-handles for both get almost zero purchase on the square end of the tap. As soon as there is any resistance, the handle rolls over the corners which are a bit rounded, even those taps I've never used. I usually grab an adjustable crescent to proceed with the tap, but wonder what other handles or sets might work better.

Well, not part of a set but I have this T-handle from HF and it's actually excellent. Surprising, since the HF taps / dies are such poo poo. This thing actually feels really well made, the casting is smooth, and it grips the taps really well. It won't work on anything below an M6 though.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I have some Gearwrench tap and die sets that I like. You can get the handles separately.
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-tools/ratcheting-tap-and-die/gearwrench-3880-ratcheting-tap-and-die-drive-tool-set.html
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-tools/ratcheting-tap-and-die/gearwrench-3882-tap-adapter.html
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-tools/ratcheting-tap-and-die/gearwrench-3883-tap-adapter.html

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?
T-handles are crap. Tap sockets are where its at!

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=398

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, 8 tap sockets for $46 is really not bad. Time to add that to the list.

e: only $30 on Summit. Gonna just get those now because I hate T-handles anyways and mine are all missing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-70500

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

kastein posted:

Wow, 8 tap sockets for $46 is really not bad. Time to add that to the list.

e: only $30 on Summit. Gonna just get those now because I hate T-handles anyways and mine are all missing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-70500

Amazon has them for $30 and free shipping also

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Valkyn posted:

T-handles are crap. Tap sockets are where its at!

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=398

I was just going to post something like this. I bought a set kind of on a whim when I first started wrenching, and man, when I think of all the time and headache I've saved over using a t handle, it's mind blowing. I've never once pulled it out; there is no situation where a t handle has the advantage in either speed or ease of use. Buy a set of tap sockets and throw your t handle in the trash.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I guess I'm the only one who uses taps on a large or drill press... A good tap follower and t handle is a necessity there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wanna see someone tap with those and an electric earthquake impact :getin:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hmmm, that got me thinking; is there such a thing as an internal rolled thread? Is it InitialDave who bitches about makes fasteners for a living?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

bolind posted:

Hmmm, that got me thinking; is there such a thing as an internal rolled thread? Is it InitialDave who bitches about makes fasteners for a living?

Yep, you can form internal threads as long as the material is ductile enough. I've only seen it done on super-critical fasteners or where money is no object though* and from what I remember the pull out strength is much more closely linked to the pilot hole size than with a normal cut thread.

*The same holes typically had MJ13 threads in them because M14 was too big and M12 wasn't quite strong enough for comfort.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

sharkytm posted:

I guess I'm the only one who uses taps on a large or drill press... A good tap follower and t handle is a necessity there.

Real Men use Tapping Heads

I can tap an M8 hole in steel in seconds.

e: Form Taps are useful because there is no swarf to extract.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

I keep looking for a Procunier, but if you're only doing a couple of holes, a T handle and follower works great.

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Wanna see someone tap with those and an electric earthquake impact :getin:

I chase threads with a tap and my crappy 3/8th drive electric impact all the time. I wouldn't try it when tapping a new hole but works pretty awesome for cleaning up damaged threads.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bolind posted:

CNC machinist turned Mech E here. There are forming taps as someone mentioned and forming taps kick loving rear end. I prefer them to cut threads especially in soft metals. Also pretty useful to make "nearly interference" fit or high friction threads in plastics with stuff you have laying around. I used them all the time in hand and CNC tapping. They supposedly have a hardness limit for which you can use them but I have read threads on practical machinist where people used them on 304SS plate and annealed medium carbon steal w/o issue.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

Who needs tapping heads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95YrmVUL18

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent flex head 3/8th drive ratchet with a padded grip/handle for around $40-50?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Elmnt80 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent flex head 3/8th drive ratchet with a padded grip/handle for around $40-50?

Gearwrench or the new harbor freight ratchets.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Elmnt80 posted:

The Gearwrench 120xp with padded handle is right in that price range on Amazon. I just got the flexhead, polished handle versions and I haven't had a chance to use them yet but they have me excited to throw my old 32 tooth snap on poo poo in the junk drawer.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

velocross posted:

Gearwrench or the new harbor freight ratchets.

The gearwrench the gearwrench the gearwrench. gently caress THE HF 3/8 flex head ratchet. When they first came out I bought one. It was ok for a week or two then the head developed erectile disfunction. Then I replaced that for another. I didn't have it for two days before it went limp and floppy again. This time I kept it for while because why not. Then I tryed to break brake caliper bolts loose and it locked up and wouldn't move. I traded it for another one and also bought two gear wrenches off the matco guy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Northern tool has a promo where you get $100 off Milwaukee 18v stuff if you buy $15 worth of accessories. I'm thinking about picking up the high torque impact wrench and some sockets for it. I'm a weak baby so something with some muscle seems like it'd be nice to have around. Anyone used one?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

powderific posted:

Northern tool has a promo where you get $100 off Milwaukee 18v stuff if you buy $15 worth of accessories. I'm thinking about picking up the high torque impact wrench and some sockets for it. I'm a weak baby so something with some muscle seems like it'd be nice to have around. Anyone used one?

I use mine every single time I have a bolt that I can get access to. It's the Fuel High Torque, if it can't budge it it will break it. Sort of a lesson in using a penetrating oil, sort of a lesson in feeling badass.

Frankly speaking though, I maybe should have gotten just he compact impact wrench in the 1/2" size, the smaller form would get me more places and it looks like it has plenty of torque to get the majority of fasteners off. I'm worried that if I bought it then I wouldn't use the larger one. I was also worried that if I bought the smaller one it wouldn't have been strong enough for my needs too, since it's mostly used on 40 year old rusted fasteners.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have never used the Milwaukee impact, but the videos on Youtube are pretty amazing. I have been thinking about ditching my old Snap On cordless impact and getting the Milwaukee based on the stuff I have seen on the video.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I use a Milwaukee 18v Every day at work fighting rusty bolts every where. It is amazing,and the batterys hold a decent charge. Every shop I have worked in has jumped on the electric impact bandwagon after I let them borrow the Milwaukee for a little while.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vouching for 18v Milwaukee impacts. I've got a 3/8 fuel and it's mindblowing.
The 12v ratchet is also the tits.

If I can't get something out with one of those, it's hand tools or the 1/2" air impact. The ratchet in particular really saves the wrists, which is great because I have major tendon problems in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking at picking up a pair of self adjusting wire strippers, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Eg Klein Katapult vs Irwin Self Adjusting