Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I straight up do not like tropical freeze. Even people who like it have to say "oh but ignore the water world" as if that doesn't take up an entire world of poo poo gameplay, or the fact that the boss battles are about 3 times longer than they need to be, or that the DK Aesthetic is the ugliest a Nintendo series has ever been and is totally unappealing and there's a reason they gave it away as a platinum game and not the other platformers that people actually buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The water world was good though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I straight up do not like tropical freeze. Even people who like it have to say "oh but ignore the water world" as if that doesn't take up an entire world of poo poo gameplay, or the fact that the boss battles are about 3 times longer than they need to be, or that the DK Aesthetic is the ugliest a Nintendo series has ever been and is totally unappealing and there's a reason they gave it away as a platinum game and not the other platformers that people actually buy

I don't think that DK:TF is the best game ever, but saying that it's ugly is wrong wrong wrong

Agree about the boss battles though

The water world was good, sorry

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah the water world is super fun and visually pleasing to look at- only level I'd call eh is the one where you find keys.

The game in general is gorgeous and the gameplay is the best 2D platformers will ever really be.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Not a Children posted:

I don't think that DK:TF is the best game ever, but saying that it's ugly is wrong wrong wrong

This is some Poochie level design

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i was waiting for the water levels to get Bad but they were Rad the whole way through. tropical freeze A+

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rare were always terrible at character design but Not Rouge The Bat from Daigasso Band Brothers is the worst Nintendo character around, easily.

EDIT: this thing

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 13, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually really dug Donkey Kong's aesthetic. I liked the weird barrel technology. The juice factory in tropical freeze is a great example of this kind of...what, Junglepunk aesthetic going on? I dug the Tiki enemies a LOT, really sad to see most people seem to be dismissive of them, and I even liked the viking ice pirates in Freeze.

It's a good game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Motto posted:

The 3DS can't handle such detailed claymation. And that would be a drat shame because just look at the game, it's beautiful.

Also multiplayer with Waddle Dee sidekicks owns and I would not give that up for anything.
If you were upset with Rainbow Curse and you didn't play it multiplayer then you should invest in some friends and try it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've put off getting Shovel Knight but now that it is getting a disk release, I think I might pull the trigger. The question is PS4 or Wii U. I wonder if there will be any differences.

No meaningful differences, anyway. I'm surprised you've held off on Shovel Knight for so long, it's one of the most finely made games I've played in a long, long time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Uhhh so NA region isn't getting the Mario Maker bundle with the blocky pixel amiibo?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Yeah, that one character that you can easily ignore looks kinda bad. Thankfully the whole game looks fantastic and has better level design than almost any other platformer. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funky Kong is a true American hero please do not insult him.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Funky Kong is the best character Rare ever designed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
gently caress I need to get Tropical Freeze

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The water world in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is actually Not Good. The aesthetic and music is nice but I really don't care for the swimming controls or the fact that you can drown.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Kong was too fast for Mario Kart 8

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

The water world in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is actually Not Good. The aesthetic and music is nice but I really don't care for the swimming controls or the fact that you can drown.

much like W101, seems like a case of someone just needing to Get Gud

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I beat Tropical Freeze though, like all the bonus levels and everything :shrug:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I actually really dug Donkey Kong's aesthetic. I liked the weird barrel technology. The juice factory in tropical freeze is a great example of this kind of...what, Junglepunk aesthetic going on? I dug the Tiki enemies a LOT, really sad to see most people seem to be dismissive of them, and I even liked the viking ice pirates in Freeze.

It's a good game.

My only problem with the Tikis is they were kinda bland looking. The Kremlins and Snomads have a lot of variety between them. Having sentient evil drums as enemies in a platform game was pretty cute though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only game with more fluid swimming controls would be rayman origins/legends. Like if you panic about drowning I guess it could be stressful but there's airbubbles everywhere so it's never really that much of a threat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You insult my platforming, okay whatever
You insult my boss battles, fine I'll live.
But then you insult Funky Kong? Well now we've got issues.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

raditts posted:

Also multiplayer with Waddle Dee sidekicks owns and I would not give that up for anything.
If you were upset with Rainbow Curse and you didn't play it multiplayer then you should invest in some friends and try it again.
Yeah. Two friends and I love playing Rainbow Curse. The only problem is everyone wants to be Waddle Dee.

Also Tropical Freeze was dope. Those silhouette levels had such a great aesthetic. And the water level was dope. I think there was even a water silhouette level? Super dope.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
All this Tiki Talk has me thinking that a Donkey Kong x Crash Bandicoot crossover would be quite dope & also fresh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ah yes, the famous "funky kong's shop" level

Also funky kong rules.

edit: and tropical freeze is my favorite game on wii u. the only bad thing about it is that it ends.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 13, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Monkey Fracas posted:

Uhhh so NA region isn't getting the Mario Maker bundle with the blocky pixel amiibo?

Buy the amiibo from Walmart and get the digital version, why would you ever want to get rid of Mario Maker??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Buy the amiibo from Walmart and get the digital version, why would you ever want to get rid of Mario Maker??

the physical has the cool book though

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I, for one, am just glad that all my Kid Icarus-related amiibos will finally have any semblance of use outside of Smash.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VideoGames posted:

the physical has the cool book though

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Mario Maker is up for pre-load on the eShop right now, and there's allegedly a toll-free phone number on the digital receipt that you can call to claim a free copy of the physical book that comes with the retail version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I was too proud to buy anything from Funky besides capsules. The water levels do suck, but are easier with the analogue stick and Dixie Kong.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oh neat :> im in the UK and have a physical copy preordered, but its cool to know they give you the book that way too! nintendo rules

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
Does Pandora Tower on the eshop let you play it with just the gamepad?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

fiber posted:

Does Pandora Tower on the eshop let you play it with just the gamepad?
It does, but apparently it is way better with a wiimote.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

ah yes, the famous "funky kong's shop" level

Also funky kong rules.

edit: and tropical freeze is my favorite game on wii u. the only bad thing about it is that it ends.

Poochie-level. Like on the quality level of that poo poo dog from the Simpsons that was parodying this kind of character

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

We know who Poochie is you goober

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Welp, I guess plans of corporate letting people at NOA who work for the company being more open and social have been axed for the time being:

quote:

Hello friends and family. As many of you have probably seen, I am no longer at Nintendo. I was terminated this week due to a podcast appearance I made last Monday. It was a stupid judgment call on my part and ultimately it cost me far more than I could have imagined.

I've lost the only job I really knew or ever intended to know. Since leaving high school, I've had a singular goal in terms of a career. It got me through college and pushed me through the difficult time immediately after college where I learned just how crippling it was to have an English degree in the job market. I applied for 6 years straight for my job. Even before that, I'd made my entire identity around my hope to one day have this perfect job. I was mocked here and there as "Nintendo Boy" from maybe middle school on, but I thought that if I succeeded, it'd all be worth it.

And now it's gone and I honestly don't know how to handle myself. A central part of my personality revolves around Nintendo. Anything that I've decorated with around my house has a very clear Nintendo theme. My shirts and jackets overwhelmingly show that as well. Being able to finally feel at home at a job is a feeling I can't easily quantify. I was the guy who'd see a hastily-discarded paper towel in the men's room and pick it up, saying to myself, "This is my home, and I will keep it clean."

If we're being honest, I'm scared. Very scared. I haven't been without a job for over 4 years, and even then it was during the weird "just exiting college" part of life that everyone goes through. And back then, I was still down in Oregon near family. Living in Washington has struggled to feel normal, but I was grounded in my job. It was where I happily spent my time and saw all of my friends. With that unstuck, Washington suddenly feels alien and empty all over again.

I look around my house and see images of my son and feel such intense shame and crippling sadness. How do I share this part of my life with him? How do I cope knowing that I've failed him? Even before this I'd been struggling to want to provide better for him and my wife, knowing that due to my student loans, I wouldn't be entirely debt-free until I turned 40. That's not a hyperbole either. I'm just now barely under $100,000 in student debt and my last payment is scheduled for the same year that I turn 40. "That student debt is intimidating, but it's worth it for the end result." I've undone my end result.

I spent the last week in a miserable place once the podcast began getting coverage. I was instantly scared when a coworker poked me and said, "Hey, you're on GoNintendo." Suddenly article after article began appearing in game sites of all languages. Comments sections painted me as an idiot and the like. My Twitter started giving me hourly reminders from people meaning well and otherwise. It seemed unthinkable that I'd be let go for a single moment of poor judgment and my own misunderstandings, but here we are.

Obviously, as I'm writing this at 4 am, I don't think I have a clear goal. All I can think of is that there's so much I've put at risk. I know that if I can't find a job at least as good as this one, I won't be able to provide for my family. I've lost them their health coverage and their security. I also know that I've probably lost a good deal of my friends, just because I know how hard it can be to stay in touch with someone when the convenience of proximity is lost.

I'm so sorry to everyone. I've failed you. You believed in me and supported me and trusted me and I've failed you. I've failed me.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Except Poochie was a take-off on shortsighted network ploys for viewers through a Tom and Jerry parallel, and Funky Kong has been an established Cool Dude since like 1994

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pranger definitely spouted some loose cannon stuff in that interview (ie, ranting at people for wanting obscure games localized), but I'm surprised he outright got the axe rather than an Adelman-style muzzling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Welp, I guess plans of corporate letting people at NOA who work for the company being more open and social have been axed for the time being:

Who is this/what did he do

• Locked thread