Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The parts that aren't about boring vr fighting aren't bad, but most of the series seems dedicated to the boring vr fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is there anything more aggressively boring in the Current (Translated) WSJ lineup than World Trigger? Because I don't think anything's happened in that comic.

Naruto Madlibs is also a thing that exists, but no World Trigger is still the worst. The anime was so boring I assumed it couldn't possibly be doing justice to the source material but then I got my jump sub and whelp.

I mean I guess things at least happen in Black Clover and the pacing is ridiculous so hey, if you don't like this weeks thinly disguised Naruto villain just wait 3 weeks and they'll be fighting someone else.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, Black Clover hasn't really been using Naruto villians. It's villians are pretty much all Rave/Fairy Tail It's main character is a Naruto(though it's not like Naruto is some original character archtype in manga), with but with Rock Lee's positioning powerset wise. Rival is a Non-rear end in a top hat Sasuke.

Black Clover's panel framing and combat reminds me heavily of Kishimoto's style, but it's story/villians and powersets are waaaay more Rave/Fairy Tail than Naruto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like /a/'s black clover drinking game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Actually, why the hell is so much effort dedicated to fighting other people with identical skill sets and weapons in world trigger when any real fights are guaranteed to be completely different? I can see doing it sometimes, as experience is experience, but that's all the training they ever do. Like, no classes on tactics, records of past (real) battles, magic bullshit physics, etc. They basically teach nothing aside from how to fight their own allies, and most certainly not how to cooperate with the dudes they were fake fighting the day before.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Actually, why the hell is so much effort dedicated to fighting other people with identical skill sets and weapons in world trigger when any real fights are guaranteed to be completely different? I can see doing it sometimes, as experience is experience, but that's all the training they ever do. Like, no classes on tactics, records of past (real) battles, magic bullshit physics, etc. They basically teach nothing aside from how to fight their own allies, and most certainly not how to cooperate with the dudes they were fake fighting the day before.

Probably because it causes the best rankings for WSJ.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The parts that aren't about boring vr fighting aren't bad, but most of the series seems dedicated to the boring vr fighting.

The only thing I like about World Trigger is that (at least up until the point I read to) the protagonist is a really ordinary guy and not the son of some legendary prodigy or something.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

So, really, it's no wonder (Invasion arc) over 50 of Border's number wound up on the casualty list with at least six fatalities. That said, competence in a war-zone is not what anyone reading WT and making sure it stays high in the rankings is reading it for so it's totally OK.

WT is there to basically make sure that nothing good replaced Naruto as part of the big three.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2015

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
World Trigger is one of my favorite manga that I'm currently following and I look forward to new chapters as much as My Hero Academia and One Piece. I just find the whole thing really engrossing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about World Trigger is that the whole premise is just incredibly silly. Supposedly this PORTAL TO ANOTHER WORLD(S) THROUGH WHICH ALIENS ARE ATTACKING US opens up in Japan, yet Japan is the only country involved in trying to defend against it and appears to not ask other countries for help or even receive that much funding. Not to mention the fact that people continue living within the range of the portal that might be attacked by the Neighbors (I think they say something along the lines of "this is further away than usual!", but you'd think they'd leave a pretty big empty zone around this portal). It's not so much the fact that it's unrealistic that's the problem; it's more that it's ridiculous even given the assumptions the comic asks us to make.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Then there is the fact that they seem to exclusively recruit japanese teenagers. There hasn't been any reason given for the part-time child soldiers thing. Why the heck are all of these parents allowing their kids to dedicate their lives to this to the detriment of their education and future prospects? I like the art, but everything else is just a huge mess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Suspension of Disbelief is a hell of a thing. You know you've hosed up if people are confused by your otherworldly invader story but can roll with something like Toriko or Assassination Classroom.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fabricated posted:

Suspension of Disbelief is a hell of a thing. You know you've hosed up if people are confused by your otherworldly invader story but can roll with something like Toriko or Assassination Classroom.

Toriko is great because it straight out presents you with ridiculous numbers like "and five billion people were at the stadium, and by the way that's only 0.1% of the world's population" and it's dropped so casually you just nod and go hmm yes I see and don't think about it. It's the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

None of the gaping holes in world trigger's setting are so extreme that they couldn't be explained away. Only, there hasn't been any attempt at doing so. Just say that teenagers have some advantage in using magic particles or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

None of the gaping holes in world trigger's setting are so extreme that they couldn't be explained away. Only, there hasn't been any attempt at doing so. Just say that teenagers have some advantage in using magic particles or something.

I dunno, I don't see how they could explain away the "only Japan is involved in dealing with the alien threat" thing. Maybe it's that the alien threat isn't really that big, as noted by the fact that an army consisting of a couple hundred teenagers have been able to hold off all attacks so far.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I like World Trigger to be honest. It has a lot of issues with plot and the pacing feels a bit too slow, but the characters are likable enough and I like the way it does fights. To me it comes down to the fact that if I can turn my brain off there's still some nice stuff in there. Its biggest issue is that it's really not an over the top series at all, it tries to take a more grounded approach to fighting and stuff. That's actually really nice to read but also kind of invites you to take the plot seriously, and when you do that there are a ton of issues that pop out. Kinda feels like something I'd enjoy a lot more if I had a ton of chapters to catch up on though. Like I actually enjoy the manga's pacing by itself, I like the fact it takes things slowly and all...but when you only read a chapter every two weeks or so it can get kinda boring. Still, I can honestly say I have fun reading it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its near impossible to follow weekly, which is pretty bad for a weekly series

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I liked the manga during the Invasion arc but this team competition arc is just getting way too draggy and boring, introducing so many new characters I just can't keep track of them, which makes me lose interest in both the characters and the series.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 14, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

alkanphel posted:

I liked the manga during the Invasion arc but this team competition arc is just getting way too draggy and boring, introducing so many new characters I just can't keep track of them, which makes me lose interest in both the characters and the series.

Did the translation ever get better? I remember some of the early scans being pretty rough, and there was a point in the invasion arc where I just had to drop it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Basically the only real way to keep up to date with world trigger was to subscribe to the official translations anyways since scanlations were so spotty. Dunno if they have caught up or not since I switched to the official one so long ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hopeford posted:

I like World Trigger to be honest. It has a lot of issues with plot and the pacing feels a bit too slow, but the characters are likable enough and I like the way it does fights. To me it comes down to the fact that if I can turn my brain off there's still some nice stuff in there. Its biggest issue is that it's really not an over the top series at all, it tries to take a more grounded approach to fighting and stuff. That's actually really nice to read but also kind of invites you to take the plot seriously, and when you do that there are a ton of issues that pop out. Kinda feels like something I'd enjoy a lot more if I had a ton of chapters to catch up on though. Like I actually enjoy the manga's pacing by itself, I like the fact it takes things slowly and all...but when you only read a chapter every two weeks or so it can get kinda boring. Still, I can honestly say I have fun reading it.

I caught up with it the last couple days after seeing it mentioned in this thread, and I think I was being a little too hard on it. I think that it has a couple good things going for it - good characters and good fights. The only weaknesses are the setting/plot and pacing, but the setting/plot is pretty drat bad. At the end of the day, the fights are well written enough that I think it's worth following. I'm also very curious as to how the main character is going to develop. So far the series has been very good about not giving the main character many Gary Stu-ish qualities; he's generally mediocre and the only thing he's good at is being a leader/tactician, but he's not even that exceptional at that. And the characters in recent chapters have been pointing out how he can't get by on just that limited strength alone.

One thing that kind of confused me is why Kuga is having so much trouble with these B rank dudes in recent chapters. Like, he's totally owned Midorikawa a couple times now, and he's A rank. He also beat that humanoid neighbor guy who was significantly stronger than an A rank during the invasion. Yet he was flat out losing to that guy with the special memorization ability I forget the name of, despite him only being B rank.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that kind of confused me is why Kuga is having so much trouble with these B rank dudes in recent chapters. Like, he's totally owned Midorikawa a couple times now, and he's A rank. He also beat that humanoid neighbor guy who was significantly stronger than an A rank during the invasion. Yet he was flat out losing to that guy with the special memorization ability I forget the name of, despite him only being B rank.

I think the team is B rank while the guy himself is A rank.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Did Again!! get cancelled or something? I was enjoying it up to vol 12 where it takes a strangely abrupt turn and slaps you in the face with one of the least satisfying endings ever. :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the team is B rank while the guy himself is A rank.

I think the letter ranking is only for teams and that the guy was the "rank 4 attacker" in the sense of being the fourth best attacker, even though his team was only B rank. I'm also under the impression that Kuga would have owned him if they hadn't done those 10 sparring matches before the match (which allowed the guy's side effect to kick in and learn about Kuga's fighting style). So I'm okay with Kuga not owning him in their one on one fight.

That being said, one thing I had forgotten about was the part earlier on when Kuga literally solos an entire A rank team (Miwa's team) without even being pushed that hard. While that was partly due to him being able to use the black trigger, it would seem to imply enough of a difference in skill that he could reliably defeat most B rank teams (he didn't even use the black trigger until the very end of the fight, IIRC).

Overall I think that I was definitely being too harsh on the series earlier, though; after reading the recent chapters and rereading the first part, World Trigger actually does some things WAY better than your average shounen series. The fights in general are pretty superb and have never come down to "power levels" in any sense; even the enemies, while having better weapons, also require great skill in order to face the Border agents. Combatants have also always acted within the established rules of the setting, and no fights have been won due to someone "powering up" in some unrealistic way. Every single fight against the stronger enemies has involved some level of trickery/tactics. While I wish that the setting was more interesting, the action is really refreshing for a WSJ series and I'm happy that it seems to be doing well (based on it getting an anime at least).

Also, the inconsistency someone mentioned about their training being bizarre when they're actually fighting monster/alien things is a bit off-base when you consider the fact that they probably realized after the first couple expeditions into the Neighborhood that the monster things were just Trion soldiers and that humanoid neighbors existed and used trigger weapons just like them (so they knew fighting other humanoids using triggers like this was a possibility/inevitability). It also seems like all known Trion soldiers up until the Invasion arc were easily beatable by anyone B rank or above, so there wasn't much of a need to continue honing their skills against them after reaching B rank.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I spoke with another person about this series and a comparison to the way Hunter x Hunter does fights was made, comparing how the characters were constantly planning and trying to out-maneuver their opponent with main difference being that HxH does tactics on an individual level while WT is more team based.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

I think the letter ranking is only for teams and that the guy was the "rank 4 attacker" in the sense of being the fourth best attacker, even though his team was only B rank. I'm also under the impression that Kuga would have owned him if they hadn't done those 10 sparring matches before the match (which allowed the guy's side effect to kick in and learn about Kuga's fighting style). So I'm okay with Kuga not owning him in their one on one fight.

That being said, one thing I had forgotten about was the part earlier on when Kuga literally solos an entire A rank team (Miwa's team) without even being pushed that hard. While that was partly due to him being able to use the black trigger, it would seem to imply enough of a difference in skill that he could reliably defeat most B rank teams (he didn't even use the black trigger until the very end of the fight, IIRC).

Overall I think that I was definitely being too harsh on the series earlier, though; after reading the recent chapters and rereading the first part, World Trigger actually does some things WAY better than your average shounen series. The fights in general are pretty superb and have never come down to "power levels" in any sense; even the enemies, while having better weapons, also require great skill in order to face the Border agents. Combatants have also always acted within the established rules of the setting, and no fights have been won due to someone "powering up" in some unrealistic way. Every single fight against the stronger enemies has involved some level of trickery/tactics. While I wish that the setting was more interesting, the action is really refreshing for a WSJ series and I'm happy that it seems to be doing well (based on it getting an anime at least).

Also, the inconsistency someone mentioned about their training being bizarre when they're actually fighting monster/alien things is a bit off-base when you consider the fact that they probably realized after the first couple expeditions into the Neighborhood that the monster things were just Trion soldiers and that humanoid neighbors existed and used trigger weapons just like them (so they knew fighting other humanoids using triggers like this was a possibility/inevitability). It also seems like all known Trion soldiers up until the Invasion arc were easily beatable by anyone B rank or above, so there wasn't much of a need to continue honing their skills against them after reaching B rank.

The one big issue I had with the whole thing is that the MC was absolutely completely unremarkable, and I get that that's part of what's special about him, but is that still the case? Is he still completely scrub tier or does he have something, ANYTHING, that he's developed so far?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pandaK posted:

The one big issue I had with the whole thing is that the MC was absolutely completely unremarkable, and I get that that's part of what's special about him, but is that still the case? Is he still completely scrub tier or does he have something, ANYTHING, that he's developed so far?

He was originally very far below average, but now he has become about average. He tries to make up for the skill gap with strategy, with mixed results. But really, his main advantage over his peers is that most of them are dumb kids on power trips and he has a very realistic understanding of his own strength. He has no advantages at all over the top tier people, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Another chapter of Rin is out.

I really like how the question marks on his manga in the page where he's asking about fanservice look like they're coming from his own head.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He has no advantages at all over the top tier people, though.

This has actually been a plot point in the most recent chapters. They've had characters point out to Osamu (and him realize himself) that unless he gets to the point where he can actually fight people one on one, he'll never be A Rank. Currently the only guy in his group that can fight is Kuga, and if Kuga is defeated his team is dead in the water. I'm pleasantly surprised that Osamu hasn't suddenly realized that he has a super badass Side Effect (since that whole plot device opens the doors to making the characters a Mary Sue in many ways). I wouldn't mind if he ends up finding out he has some minor side effect or something and learns some creative way to use it (like the guy with the hearing ability), though.

One other unrelated minor gripe: It seems really silly to me how a lot of these characters act like they've been in Borders for decades, despite the Neighbors only invading like 5 years ago. This whole organization just sort of sprang up overnight* and a lot of the people talk like they're super experienced veterans even though no one can possibly have had more than 4-5 years of experience. This could have been solved if they just made the original invasion take place a longer time ago. I guess I can just attribute it to the fact that the target audience (teenagers) considers 2 years some massive life-changing period of time (i.e. a high school senior is way more experienced and world-wise than a sophomore - from the perspective of a sophomore).

*I'm actually half-expecting some sort of explanation for this at some point, since they've just sort of hand-waved away how humans initially repelled the first Neighbor invasion (since you can't beat Neighbors without Trion weapons and humans didn't have Trion weapons until the Neighbors invaded).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Has anyone here ever heard of or read Law of Ueki? I've been an avid follower of the mangaka ever since his first work, but I'm starting to feel like he might be a one shot wonder now. Takkoku was alright until it just abruptly ended, and Anagle Mole started off really interesting but just spluttered off until he fell into medical issues and that too had to be cut short soon after he recovered. He's started on a new series called Saike Mata Shitemo. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it just feels off right from the beginning. It just seems to follow the "debbie downer kid who thinks he has no aspirations in life suddenly finds himself in Groundhog's Day" formula really hard, like I mean really hard. It's painful seeing someone I've been looking forward to for a long time turn out like this...

We don't talk about Law of Ueki +

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I read Ueki like a decade ago so I don't really remember it well, but I did follow Takkoku for a while a bit more recently. It was pretty goofy fun, but I haven't really followed his career. Sucks to hear that was probably the right decision.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked Ueki, especially how bizarre the powers got later on. But if the guy can't manage charmingly strange in his manga any more, what else does he have?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

pandaK posted:

Has anyone here ever heard of or read Law of Ueki? I've been an avid follower of the mangaka ever since his first work, but I'm starting to feel like he might be a one shot wonder now. Takkoku was alright until it just abruptly ended, and Anagle Mole started off really interesting but just spluttered off until he fell into medical issues and that too had to be cut short soon after he recovered. He's started on a new series called Saike Mata Shitemo. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it just feels off right from the beginning. It just seems to follow the "debbie downer kid who thinks he has no aspirations in life suddenly finds himself in Groundhog's Day" formula really hard, like I mean really hard. It's painful seeing someone I've been looking forward to for a long time turn out like this...

We don't talk about Law of Ueki +

I remember that Ueki had a guy who was immensely proud of his ability to turn tomatoes into magma and I was like yeah okay and never read another chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I liked Ueki a lot but it was a bit disappointing for the main character to mostly abandon his trash->trees ability.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Holy poo poo Saike just took a swerve and turned into a standard battle manga except that he still has the really OP time travel power

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

I liked Ueki a lot but it was a bit disappointing for the main character to mostly abandon his trash->trees ability.
Didn't the author go to great lengths to make sure that every other power he got was useless?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nihilarian posted:

Didn't the author go to great lengths to make sure that every other power he got was useless?

What do you mean?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pandaK posted:

Holy poo poo Saike just took a swerve and turned into a standard battle manga except that he still has the really OP time travel power

It's an interesting premise, though I don't see how he's always going to be lucky enough to be able to run all the way to that lake in order to "respawn." I'm guessing that it might actually work on any death, rather than just drowning in the pond (and he obviously isn't willing to test this out).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

It's an interesting premise, though I don't see how he's always going to be lucky enough to be able to run all the way to that lake in order to "respawn." I'm guessing that it might actually work on any death, rather than just drowning in the pond (and he obviously isn't willing to test this out).

He already got smashed into a wall by a phone pole and also went after a legit killer all without actually dying lmao this poo poo is rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

What do you mean?
I vaguelly remember that series having a gimmick where if you won a match, you got one of your opponents powers, and the main character kept getting the ones that were basically useless in battle