Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shutter 14. Loving this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Shutter 14. Loving this series.

Yeah, I'm a big fan, though I've been reading it in volumes rather than singles so I only just got through issue 12. The art is gorgeous.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, I forgot that canonically Kirby is God.

This just makes me think of the exchange from Airheads

"Who wins in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God?"

"Lemmy?"

"WRONG!"

"GOD?"

"BZZZT! WRONG AGAIN! Trick question, LEMMY IS GOD!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was an entire issue about this in Alan Moore's run on Supreme. After proceeding through a succession of scenarios that are as transparent knock-offs of Kirby characters as the title character was of Superman, this scene unfolds:

Supreme: The Return #6. This may be the wrong thread, but I don't care and neither should you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tell me about it, hands are the worst.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ChickenSuit posted:

It's a Boston Bruins shirt.
Man that's even worse

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bongo Bill posted:

There was an entire issue about this in Alan Moore's run on Supreme. After proceeding through a succession of scenarios that are as transparent knock-offs of Kirby characters as the title character was of Superman, this scene unfolds:

Supreme: The Return #6. This may be the wrong thread, but I don't care and neither should you.

I loving love how Jack Kirby is deified in a way that only comics can do. Stan Lee gets the movie cameos, but he's never been a god.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

And if I remember, this was Cyborg's answer to Batman taking down the JLA Watchtower's comm system to stop them broadcasting it. Setting up a Twitter for Superman.

Even better. This was Damian (Bruce's own son) suggestion at how to get back at Batman after he locked up the Justice League in the Watchtower.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Die Laughing posted:

I loving love how Jack Kirby is deified in a way that only comics can do. Stan Lee gets the movie cameos, but he's never been a god.

Stan does not need the ego boost. Plus he's still alive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I present Fidel Castro owning Wally West in a political discussion.

It's mostly funny because I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to read that way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I present Fidel Castro owning Wally West in a political discussion.

It's mostly funny because I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to read that way.

Castro is so bad at Cuban history that he doesn't know the name of the guy he took over from.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, apparently this week on Humble Book Bundle, the really awesome 2011 run of the Dungeons and Dragons comic is available for whatever you wanna pay for it.
http://comicsalliance.com/dungeons-dragons-humble-bundle/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

10 Beers posted:

So, apparently this week on Humble Book Bundle, the really awesome 2011 run of the Dungeons and Dragons comic is available for whatever you wanna pay for it.
http://comicsalliance.com/dungeons-dragons-humble-bundle/

Everyone who enjoys Rat Queens or comedy or fun should get right on this.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 13, 2015

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Are the above average and 12$+ tiers worth it ?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I haven't read them, but I've never read a Michael Fleisher book I didn't despise.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Have you read Hex?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I was reading through an article on Rob Liefeld's worst drawings.

(some issue of Youngblood)

What is even going on with Troll's anatomy there?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

joehonkie posted:

I assume some kind of bomb is going off inside of him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

joehonkie posted:

Kenshiro should have finished the job.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kenshiro should have finished the job.

You beat me by SO FEW SECONDS.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm not seeing an elbow in any of that. Is his one wrist just, like, attached at a perpendicular angle to the underside of his forearm?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

RandomFerret posted:

I'm not seeing an elbow in any of that. Is his one wrist just, like, attached at a perpendicular angle to the underside of his forearm?

I think the elbow is facing the viewer, and he's holding a helmet under his arm? His arm that is clearly held perpendicular to the ground so the helmet wouldn't fit? And that doesn't line up with his torso if that's where his helmet is?

Look, I'm still trying to figure out the neck, which seems to be positioned directly over his right leg.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandomFerret posted:

His forearms got shot off during the war.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HOW DID THIS MAN MAKE A LIVING DRAWING COMICS

HOW

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
that's easy: this world is not a meritocracy, and he's still in the "fake" part of "fake it till you make it"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I appreciate how his legs just stop at the floor in a flat line, like they're supposed to be phasing through the surface or something. Not even an attempt to create feet or even hide them, just squaring his legs against the surface and calling it done.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ashcans posted:

I appreciate how his legs just stop at the floor in a flat line, like they're supposed to be phasing through the surface or something. Not even an attempt to create feet or even hide them, just squaring his legs against the surface and calling it done.

I think those are feet at the end there. They're hoof-like, but they're feet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Listen, it's a troll. He wouldn't have the same anatomy as a human. Stop being so speciesist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

Listen, it's a troll. He wouldn't have the same anatomy as a human. Stop being so speciesist.

Do you have to pay him a toll?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

prefect posted:

I think those are feet at the end there. They're hoof-like, but they're feet.

I call them soolnds!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you have to pay him a toll?

Only to get into that boy's soul.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ignite Memories posted:

HOW DID THIS MAN MAKE A LIVING DRAWING COMICS

HOW

It was the 90's. And this was Youngblood (Or was this WildCATS?), which if I remember my history correctly means Image. And Image didn't answer to any comics authority (but did self regulate), so you had Not-Wolverine there, with the Not-Xmen, except with all the blood, sex, violence and cursing that were not offered by the big 2 at the time. Imagine if an entire publisher was making comics like Punisher: Max, at a time when traditional, classic comic characters were seen as campy, and stupid and lame compared to the XTREME! 90's contemporaries. It was darker, and more 'real' and that fake kind of 'mature'. I didn't matter if most of the art was ugly and anatomically impossible, there was a chance to see someone get beheaded in full color with a collectible foil variant cover. Oh and maybe some titty. And what little 13 year old would pass up the chance to maybe see underboob, sideboob, and their friend violence under the guise of a harmless comic book. I don't know if Image ever outsold any of the regulars, but it did make an impact on the bottom line, and a big enough one for guys like Rob and Todd to make a good living for a while.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone who enjoys Rat Queens or comedy or fun should get right on this.
This.

Dungeons & Dragons #2

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CzarChasm posted:

It was the 90's. And this was Youngblood (Or was this WildCATS?),

Youngblood. WildCATS was Jim Lee, which meant the art was occasionally not completely awful.

Oddly, Alan Moore eventually did a writing stint on both.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even Alan Moore's gotta eat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Even Alan Moore's gotta eat.

He can also take a lovely Rob Liefeld rip off character like Supreme and write some amazing poo poo.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Youngblood. WildCATS was Jim Lee, which meant the art was occasionally not completely awful.

Oddly, Alan Moore eventually did a writing stint on both.

Rob Liefeld is where 1963 comes from and Supreme, so I guess I should be grateful?

Speaking of 1963, worst catchphrase ever:

1963 #1 - Mystery Inc.

Alan Moore you can do better.

joehonkie fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 13, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Stan does not need the ego boost. Plus he's still alive.

Lol Stan needs the ego boost. Dude wouldn't know what to do if he suddenly lost his claim as the face of Marvel history. I ain't even knocking the guy or stirring poo poo up, but come on no one sustains that level of self-promotion for that long without a gigantic ego.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He means Stan's ego is big enough already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SynthOrange posted:

Also more SG.

:3:
gently caress EVERYBODY IT'S MORE CAT THOR TIME