Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I assume by the "new" Fusion you mean the one that has been out since MY13? I drive the Fusion or a different midsize sedan every week, and they are perfectly fine for a midsize sedan which is a segment where fun goes to die. It's up against the Camry, Sonata, and Altima, for christ's sake. And yes, I have driven the Fusion Titanium top trim whatever the gently caress. If you actually care about owning a fun to drive car, don't buy a midsize sedan, and if you have to buy a fun midsize sedan, the only actual choice is the Mazda6.

Edit: I think I can say without exaggeration that I have more aggregate seat time in the different MY14, 15 and 16 midsize sedan than anyone else in this thread with the exception of the Subaru Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Have you guys actually driven the new Fusion? For a mainstream sedan, it's actually really fun to drive. I drove a poo poo ton of cars before buying my Fusion, and the current gen actually is really fun as long as you get the 2.0l with the stiffer suspension setup. I'm not trying to sell the guy on it, but he should at least test drive the thing to see if he likes it. It is not the same as the Fusion of old. I'm not crazy either, the reviewers all say the same thing.

"For a family sedan, the Ford Fusion is surprisingly fun to drive...the suspension setup offers unexpectedly good handling for such a large family sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book

"The Fusion drives exactly as Ford advertised. It's fun. It's well-balanced, and it puts a smile of your face. … Grip level is relatively high and body roll is very low compared to its competitors." -Jalopnik

"On the road, the Fusion impresses with its athletic demeanor, shrinking around you at speed like a sport sedan." -- AutoTrader

"The Ford Fusion holds its position as one of the best-driving mid-size sedans in the segment, with real competition only coming from the less-powerful Mazda 6." - The Car Connection

"The Ford Fusion is an undeniably stylish, athletic, fun-to-drive midsize sedan" - cars.com

Why not just get a G37?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

antiga posted:

Is there a sweet spot for 'beater truck'? I'm looking for something to be used on weekends for craigslist items, furniture, etc (nothing exceptionally heavy and no boat towing) with the lowest possible total cost of ownership. I've watched Top Gear try to destroy a Hilux, is that the right answer? Old F150 or Ranger with 200,000 miles?

A folding trailer has been suggested to me. That is probably the cheapest way to do it, but I'm not interested in towing with my daily driver.

How many weekends? Renting/Zipcar might be the most economical option.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

antiga posted:

Is there a sweet spot for 'beater truck'? I'm looking for something to be used on weekends for craigslist items, furniture, etc (nothing exceptionally heavy and no boat towing) with the lowest possible total cost of ownership. I've watched Top Gear try to destroy a Hilux, is that the right answer? Old F150 or Ranger with 200,000 miles?

A folding trailer has been suggested to me. That is probably the cheapest way to do it, but I'm not interested in towing with my daily driver.

Rent a Home Depot truck for $20 and drive really fast?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

Why not just get a G37?

I'm loving a sedan with a v6 that revs to 7500 and is rwd. It's pretty boss.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How many weekends? Renting/Zipcar might be the most economical option.

I was not under the impression that you can get a truck or something with towing capability from zipcar but I could be wrong. Last time I went to HD they wanted you to buy something to rent the truck but I guess that's a system that could be gamed pretty easily.

Rentals are very expensive, five or six rentals add up to the purchase price for an older running Ranger or S10. Obviously there are other costs to consider, hence the question.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Is there any reason not to get a 2001 audi tt 225? Like some kind of horrible mechanical thing or glaring build quality issues? I don't want to be the guy that gets an rx8 without knowing how to maintain a rotary.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5155603090.html or https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5136684961.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Was the TT exempt from the terrible interiors and power windows that literally fell apart? Audi/VW from about 1995-2004 were complete garbage for the most part, at least on the Jetta/Golf end of the spectrum.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
In that case, the RX8 is the reliable choice.

It is a MkIV gti with fancy skin, maybe awd, and more electronic plus an audi tax.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Driving down the interstate on a normal day and suddenly the rear drivers side rear window just slips in to the door and shatters in to a million pieces inside the door. :allears:

gently caress my Jetta VR6 forever. I won't get in to the shenannigans about the VW dealership jury-rigging my hood latch closed and having it come loose on the highway :lol::lol::lol:

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

thanks, same question about early 2000s bmws like 3 or 5 series. I'm just looking at awd/rwd manuals for around 5k and half of the selection is geman cars I don't know anything about. I'm leaning towards wrx.

E: like what's up with this 2002 benz c230 kompressor https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/5135208785.html ?

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 11, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bacon Hat posted:

thanks, same question about early 2000s bmws like 3 or 5 series. I'm just looking at awd/rwd manuals for around 5k and half of the selection is geman cars I don't know anything about. I'm leaning towards wrx.

E: like what's up with this 2002 benz c230 kompressor https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/5135208785.html ?

You like bad cars.
Do not, under any circumstances buy an early 2000s Mercedes (or Audi). Seriously though a C230 is like the worst car germany has ever made.

For 3 series BMWs look up subframe cracking and make sure they're good. For the non-M straight-6 manuals, they're reasonably solid otherwise. Except for the cooling system.

WRX. Early ones are ridden hard and put away wet. 2.5L have ringland issue (aka, buy a new motor)

edit: Look at the G35.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nm posted:

You like bad cars.

Do not, under any circumstances buy an early 2000s Mercedes (or Audi). Seriously though a C230 is like the worst car germany has ever made.

This. Almost anything sporty, and especially Euro and sporty, for 5k is going to be a nightmare. There's a reason the answer for a 5k sports car is always Miata -- because it's cheap and reliable and a very very high fun-to-dollar ratio. Nothing else comes close.

quote:

For 3 series BMWs look up subframe cracking and make sure they're good. For the non-M straight-6 manuals, they're reasonably solid otherwise. Except for the cooling system.

Also true. Older 3 series are generally pretty solid if they've seen regular scheduled maintenance, but a cheap one could easily be a basket case of deferred/neglected maintenance. They do have a huge following so there's a ton of resources online for their handful of well-known and well-documented problem areas. That said, they they are really meant for a) enthusiasts who will do some DIY or b) people with deep pockets who don't give a gently caress.

I love my 3 series to death, but I'd never recommend it to an ordinary "not a car guy" person. It'd have cost me 2-3x in upkeep and maintenance if I didn't DIY the easy to medium difficulty stuff.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 11, 2015

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I just don't fit in miatas, at least the NB and NC I've been in. I really wanted miata to be the answer. I also do a lot of highway driving and like to buy cheap cars from craigslist and drive them until they explode. I know there's some good poo poo to be had because I'm willing to put up with the easy DIY stuff, but I haven't been into cars long enough to know historically which cars were really good or not, like the miata.

Those G35s look nice though

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why don't you buy a new edge Mustang?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

nm posted:

You like bad cars.
Do not, under any circumstances buy an early 2000s Mercedes (or Audi).

My '02 A6 was an amazing vehicle with zero problems (with the exception of things in the undercarriage, thanks to us salting the roads up here).

I bought it with lower miles, but it was beautiful inside and out, and I drove the gently caress out of it. Cost of maintenance is stupid high though, unless you know an independent audi shop that doesn't suck and doesn't rip you off, or can do the work yourself.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Thanks again kyoon. You gave enough info to get what i want.

My fun car will be a european delivery m235i (with all thr bells and whistles i want) followed by a performance center delivery. 1k over invoice 7x security deposit, good mf, 3 year lease, etc. This will happen when the weather is nice in Germany so i can most enjoy the experience. Plus that means the road trip from the performance center wont be in winter.

For current transportation im picking up a honda pilot ex-l close to full deprecation with low miles. The dealer is cool with my mechanic looking at the car first and giving me all the numbers up front (i had to go through a lot of dealers to find somebe who would say yes to that). I figure the two cars will compliment each other pretty well and it will prevent stress of needing a car should one dissapear. Sadly, vacation and second car included, the m235 with more options is around the same cost as the original 228 deal you strayed me away from.

diadem fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 11, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

antiga posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732427&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Old Toyotas can be reliable if you can wrench a bit. And they can be had for cheap if you keep your eyes open.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

diadem posted:

Thanks again kyoon. You gave enough info to get what i want.

My fun car will be a european delivery m235i (with all thr bells and whistles i want) followed by a performance center delivery. 1k over invoice 7x security deposit, good mf, 3 year lease, etc. This will happen when the weather is nice in Germany so i can most enjoy the experience. Plus that means the road trip from the performance center wont be in winter.

For current transportation im picking up a honda pilot ex-l close to full deprecation with low miles. The dealer is cool with my mechanic looking at the car first and giving me all the numbers up front (i had to go through a lot of dealers to find somebe who would say yes to that). I figure the two cars will compliment each other pretty well and it will prevent stress of needing a car should one dissapear. Sadly, vacation and second car included, the m235 with more options is around the same cost as the original 228 deal you strayed me away from.

Good on ya, you're getting a much better car in the M235i and you get to go to Germany. Think about the alternative - you could have fewer cars, the one car would be less lovely, and you wouldn't go to Germany, all for the same price. Glad I could help, and I hear ED is pretty neat. If I were to ever buy a new Nazimobile I would definitely do that.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm looking into buying a new car, want a hatchback (could go for a CUV if it works too), budget mid 20s or so. So far I've obviously been directed to the Mazda 3, some have also pointed to the Focus as a cheaper option to test-drive. Some people love VWs, but I hear really not great things about their reliability and cost of repair. Is that still true, and if not should I also look into some of the Golf variants?

My dad had an '01 Passat that totally fell apart on him, and the repair bills were atrocious. But, from the sounds of this thread that was kind of a 90s to early 2000s things for VWs, right?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm looking into buying a new car, want a hatchback (could go for a CUV if it works too), budget mid 20s or so. So far I've obviously been directed to the Mazda 3, some have also pointed to the Focus as a cheaper option to test-drive. Some people love VWs, but I hear really not great things about their reliability and cost of repair. Is that still true, and if not should I also look into some of the Golf variants?

My dad had an '01 Passat that totally fell apart on him, and the repair bills were atrocious. But, from the sounds of this thread that was kind of a 90s to early 2000s things for VWs, right?

First time VW owner here with a 2011 Golf TDI that we bought Feb 2014. I've always sworn off VW for the same reasons but now I would absolutely consider VW as long as it's fairly new. My golf is extremely comfortable and lots of fun to drive, and I hear the mk7 tdi is even better!

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732427&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Old Toyotas can be reliable if you can wrench a bit. And they can be had for cheap if you keep your eyes open.

Thanks, this is the kind of thing I was looking for. Rangers are a lot cheaper and obviously prevalent but I'll keep my eyes open. Any other recommendations, I'd be interested to hear it.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
Thinking of buying a new car, wondering if what I'm looking for has a name that I can search for to find options.

My last 3 cars have been manual Nissan v6 sedans, which has worked great for me and I'd like a car with the same "feel", but I also go wilderness camping quite a lot, and primarily I'd like something with a little more ground clearance and optional four wheel drive. I say optional because I think just 2 wheel drive has better fuel economy for regular highway driving right?

Essentially, I want a 4 door sedan thats a little more rugged, but nowhere near SUV territory, and still a reasonably economic choice for a commuter car. Does that kind of car exist? Does it have a name?

King Gonorrhea fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

King Gonorrhea posted:

Thinking of buying a new car, wondering if what I'm looking for has a name that I can search for to find options.

My last 3 cars have been manual Nissan v6 sedans, which has worked great for me and I'd a car with the same "feel", but I also go wilderness camping quite a lot, and primarily I'd like something with a little more ground clearance and optional four wheel drive. I say optional because I think just 2 wheel drive has better fuel economy for regular highway driving right?

Essentially, I want a 4 door sedan thats a little more rugged, but nowhere near SUV territory, and still a reasonably economic choice for a commuter car. Does that kind of car exist? Does it have a name?

It has a name, and that name is "Subaru Outback"!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

King Gonorrhea posted:

My last 3 cars have been manual Nissan v6 sedans, which has worked great for me and I'd a car with the same "feel", but I also go wilderness camping quite a lot, and primarily I'd like something with a little more ground clearance and optional four wheel drive. I say optional because I think just 2 wheel drive has better fuel economy for regular highway driving right?

What's your budget?

There are plenty of AWD sedans, but more rugged is a bit vague. Something like an Allroad (though a wagon) or maybe a WRX sedan? You're not going to find a sedan with an optional, user selectable 4WD system. It'll be a full time system like Subaru or a Quattro which will primarily drive one set of wheels unless it needs to move power.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
I'm not particularly strapped to a certain budget. 15k would be comfortable, more would be ok. I've never shopped for something like this, I expect they'll be more expensive. Also, not looking for brand new, couple years old is fine.

When I say rugged, I really do mean just more clearance and 4WD

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

King Gonorrhea posted:

I think the name for that is Subaru Outback or Crosstrek.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Comedy option: Volvo S60 Cross Country

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

King Gonorrhea posted:

My last 3 cars have been manual Nissan v6 sedans, which has worked great for me and I'd like a car with the same "feel", but I also go wilderness camping quite a lot, and primarily I'd like something with a little more ground clearance and optional four wheel drive. I say optional because I think just 2 wheel drive has better fuel economy for regular highway driving right?

Well you should probably get an Outback but they are kind of pricey. Really I think you might be talking past the rest of us when you say "SUV". The Subaru Forester is essentially a similar vehicle to the Outback, it's slightly shorter (but with a taller greenhouse) and cheaper, but for some reason people say it's an "SUV" while the Outback isn't? These days "SUV" doesn't just mean body-on-frame live axle Chevy Suburban or Jeep Wrangler, every carmaker today offers some kind of lifted compact or midsize wagon that they call an "SUV" but are essentially what you are looking for (manual transmission is getting rarer though), because the world is filled with insecure women who basically have the same needs as you but can only buy a vehicle if the carmaker calls it an SUV.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm no car expert but I've driven lots of outbacks and they don't feel anything like a v6.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
My Aunt loves Outbacks and has owned like six of them, so I thought I was pretty familiar with them. Yesterday I walked by one in a parking garage, and good god when did they get so huge?

two_beer_bishes posted:

First time VW owner here with a 2011 Golf TDI that we bought Feb 2014. I've always sworn off VW for the same reasons but now I would absolutely consider VW as long as it's fairly new. My golf is extremely comfortable and lots of fun to drive, and I hear the mk7 tdi is even better!

Thanks, that's interesting. I may give them a look. I'll have to keep taking in info on them, although my fiance is convinced that they're all finicky money pits.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 13, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

What's your budget?

There are plenty of AWD sedans, but more rugged is a bit vague. Something like an Allroad (though a wagon) or maybe a WRX sedan? You're not going to find a sedan with an optional, user selectable 4WD system. It'll be a full time system like Subaru or a Quattro which will primarily drive one set of wheels unless it needs to move power.

Are you seriously suggesting a $15k Allroad?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
When buying a car from a private seller on Craigslist, how are the logistics of a requested pre-purchase inspection handled? Does the seller typically drop the car off at the mechanic himself, or is it handled some other way? Or is it really just up to the preference of the seller?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you seriously suggesting a $15k Allroad?

No, trying to get an idea of what they define as "rugged". A lot of people would associate plastic cladding as rugged.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

silence_kit posted:

When buying a car from a private seller on Craigslist, how are the logistics of a requested pre-purchase inspection handled? Does the seller typically drop the car off at the mechanic himself, or is it handled some other way? Or is it really just up to the preference of the seller?

Like easily 50% will just flat out refuse. You can safely walk away from those.

Among the rest, generally you should show some level of commitment. See the car, negotiate on price based on what you see, and tell the seller you want to have the car inspected, which you will pay for. The mechanic you select should be nearby and convenient to the seller. Usually you'd both go, most sellers won't just let you drive off with the car, but possibly the seller drops off the car at the agreed-upon mechanic.

If the car gets a clean bill of health you should be ready to buy it for the agreed price. If there are issues, you can negotiate based on the issues but unless something serious comes up, you shouldn't back out. That said, if somehting serious comes up, and the seller won't budge, then you can of course still walk away from the deal, although be prepared for the seller to be furious about you "wasting their time."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MechaFrogzilla posted:

You can get a Mini Cooper S 2D or 4D for "mid 20s or so" depending on options. Remove the S and you can pretty much go all out.

I recommend the 4D hardtop. Has a surprising amount of storage space with the seats folded down, and the back seats are actually quite usable. Gets good mileage, and the engine shuts off when you stop (can turn that off easily) to save gas. Also has a selector for sport/mid/green modes and the auto has a sport+ transmission mode, and manual shifting as well.

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/model/hardtop-4-door.html

The non-S base model has a pretty slick turbo 3 cyl and isn't bad at all. I was in a similar position to you - looking at Focus, Mazda3 and VW, but none of my test drives sold me, until my Mini test drive.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 14, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

You can get a Mini Cooper S 2D or 4D for "mid 20s or so" depending on options. Remove the S and you can pretty much go all out.

He said that he doesn't want something that falls apart with atrocious repair bills, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Minis are not know for reliability.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Dik Hz posted:

I grew up in rural Minnesota and drove all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of conditions there.

So we disagree. That's fine.

Same, without snow tires, and with no accidents in the years I lived there. But in hindsight I would've liked to have tried them though. There's this concept of a traction budget you don't seem to get, where +5 traction actually IS a useful thing. Driving's not some discrete function where if you do X properly you will not have an issue, or if you do have an accident while doing the right thing it must've been unavoidable. When things go haywire it's a big messy combination of traction, safety behaviors, other drivers' behaviors, not all of which are under your control. You follow at a decent distance to give yourself a safety budget for the unlikely event the guy in front of you slams on his brakes. You run your headlights in grey weather to very slightly reduce the odds of someone not seeing you and doing something stupid. And when you have the option of increasing your traction in an element where you sometimes run out of it, it's ridiculous to argue that's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

antiga posted:

Thanks, this is the kind of thing I was looking for. Rangers are a lot cheaper and obviously prevalent but I'll keep my eyes open. Any other recommendations, I'd be interested to hear it.

At least here where old Toyotas last forever (no rust in AZ), the Toyota tax on them is so high that when I was buying in 2011, a $2500 Toyota was at least 10-15 years older and in rougher shape than a $2500 Ranger. The only vehicle I've ever owned that's given me less poo poo than my '98 Ranger did (and most of said poo poo was PO fuckery) is my CR-V which is still too new to even comprehend the idea of a mechanical failure.

If I had found a similar age / condition Tacoma for similar money to that Ranger, I'd probably have gone with it, but I just don't see the value in the Toyota tax.