Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AfroLine posted:

a 100% garbage excuse. where are people getting overwhelmed again?
But you see, if I have to choose between the Super Mushroom or the Fire Flower right away, I'll get scared away. I need to be eased slowly into the concept of having enough items to recreate any given SMB1 level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Back in MY day you had to get the Super Mushroom before the Fire Flower, if you tried to be funny and take a hit before you grabbed the flower it'd just turn you big like the mushroom would.

Honestly though I think it will be fun to see what some talented designers can do with the basics.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
or just allow everyone to create their own Mario level as seen from the NWC event and other youtube videos. but hey, it might be a challenge or it might not!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
was it called nintendo world challenge??

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Couldn't you just put your Wii U into offline mode and change the clock every time you meet the requirement to unlock the new tier for the next day? It's still more work than you should have to do but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get around on day one. And I doubt they'd put anything in to revert your unlocks if you connected back online and your clock went back to normal.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Do you think they'll do DLC? I'd buy the Koopalings for that. Or a Mario Bros 2 tileset.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

George Lazenby posted:

Haha oh man, wish I could play a mario game set in Silly Land. My fave land.

you would have met some of the following:

Sade posted:

I legit can't wait to see what you come up with in SMM. Do you have any room on your friends list?

i have two people on my wiiu friends list :> always room for more! i am VadeoGames on there.

Blaine the Train posted:

I appreciate the Kickle Cubicle enemies chilling in there with the Mario 2 enemy crew.

i adored kickle cubicle. it was the second game i ever completed right after SMB3. naturally i wanted to bring some of the guys into SMB4.

my one wish from any possible DLC is this:

I want to make actual overworlds!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bootster, Shy guy Lion and Boss of Mini Fortress are very powerful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's uncanny how many of those actually resemble pokemon. ScomFP is my favourite

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
if nintendo had hired 11 year old me (look at that level list again: DONKEY KONG LAND. i called it in 92!) then i would have been involved in all the classics

having said that what the gently caress is boss of mini fortress even supposed to be i dont even recall what i was thinking.

PROTIP: landing on block family kills them, but landing on stand ons allows you to stand on them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Want to fight that lion shyguy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Really, Yoshi games should have been slapping shyguy masks on all sorts of poo poo. It makes sense.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I want to make levels 10 year old me would think are cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

Really, Yoshi games should have been slapping shyguy masks on all sorts of poo poo. It makes sense.

:agreed:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Eonwe posted:

I think I want to make levels 10 year old me would think are cool

More of those parts where you hit a turtle shell into a hole and it hits a bunch of blocks for you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Instead of a super hard final level, New Mario U had the kind of level I'll expect will be pretty popular in Mario Maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDICWEXALw

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

More of those parts where you hit a turtle shell into a hole and it hits a bunch of blocks for you.

Yes!!!!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

elf help book posted:

Instead of a super hard final level, New Mario U had the kind of level I'll expect will be pretty popular in Mario Maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDICWEXALw

So glad I didn't collect all the star coins for this wet fart of a final level

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Not a Children posted:

So glad I didn't collect all the star coins for this wet fart of a final level

The journey is the reward.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do the enemies dance to the music when you use the NSMB tileset? I never thought to check.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do the enemies dance to the music when you use the NSMB tileset? I never thought to check.

It actually doesn't look like it, based on that level they made in the new promo video.

I assume that's just a dumb little thing they don't want people to have to account for.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
To everyone whose heads are exploding about waiting 9 days to unlock a chain chomp, I predict your levels are going to be terrible anyway.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Want to fight that lion shyguy

i should have called it Shyon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

VideoGames posted:

i should have called it Shyon

Then I'm glad they didn't hire you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you explain 'Boss of Mini Fortress' because :eyepop:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I havent seen it anywhere, is there an option to choose the music for a stage you create? I was actually hoping they'd finally do orchestrated versions of the SML2 leitmotifs and put them in there. I am just so sick to death of the 3 base themes and they'd get old really fast across like 100 levels

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You get to the end of the mid world map fortresses and when you leave the fortress turns into a mech and tries to kill you

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I havent seen it anywhere, is there an option to choose the music for a stage you create? I was actually hoping they'd finally do orchestrated versions of the SML2 leitmotifs and put them in there. I am just so sick to death of the 3 base themes and they'd get old really fast across like 100 levels

I'm pretty sure you're stuck with the tunes specific to the tileset/motif you picked but they did go to the effort of writing new tunes for the combinations that didn't exist before - there are original tunes for SMB/SMB3 ghost houses, SMB/SMW airships, etc.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

Then I'm glad they didn't hire you.

ouch

Eonwe posted:

can you explain 'Boss of Mini Fortress' because :eyepop:

being trying to recall and i think at the time i had seen the advertising for terminator 2 and thought the metal cop was cool being able to make knives and spikes from his arms.

i dont like knives and spikes and thought hammers and trees were cooler. also rollerskates. so he could make stuff out of his body like that but they were skates, hammers or trees.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

VideoGames posted:

you would have met some of the following:

I'm curious about what the Clever Goomba's gimmick is. (If there was anything beyond "Well, he's clever I guess...")

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it would be cool if he tried to avoid you jumping on him

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
actually clever goomba copied your moveset. he would run and try to jump on you instead. he could also pick up loose power ups.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So dunno if this was already a thing, but Nintendo UK has prompted that that the Michel Ancel Interview now has english subtitles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Astro Nut posted:

So dunno if this was already a thing, but Nintendo UK has prompted that that the Michel Ancel Interview now has english subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MaKinEawc

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Didn't realize he had a lisp.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Periscope Lakitu is clearly the raddest character there. I would play a game where he is the protagonist.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fritzler posted:

Periscope Lakitu is clearly the raddest character there. I would play a game where he is the protagonist.

he was supposed to be mega important in water levels. like he'd put the scope down to find you then launch underwater missile spinies

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly is it just me or is the text ultra blurry white on white? I can barely read the subtitles.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly is it just me or is the text ultra blurry white on white? I can barely read the subtitles.

It's white on black for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think one of the cooler features of this game is that you can move around and add decorations. Like just the stuff in the background that has no use other than to just be little background objects. I fear I'm going to spend more time making a stage look pretty than a functional :ohdear:

• Locked thread