Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

All of this is for expert mode, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No I'm just having trouble with him on normal mode because I suck. The only thing I'm good at is wasting time making pointless garbage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
no it's fine, my tips and recommendations were for normal mode, I am not prepared to play unfun mode, and also that gif is good and hilarious

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.

Internet Kraken posted:

No I'm just having trouble with him on normal mode because I suck. The only thing I'm good at is wasting time making pointless garbage.

Are you serious? This is the most important thing to Terraria that i've ever seen.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

To be fair, that's some pretty hilarious pointless garbage.

To add to the above advice, IMO Fishron is the one battle where good maneuverability/flight gear outperforms straight-up defense. I basically fought him in the air, just bouncing off the ground when I had to, being careful not to use all my flight time at once so I had some left in case I suddenly discovered I was over a sharknado. I fought him pretty late, and was using the solar wings, whose speed and flight time made a huge difference; if you're not that far along yet, you might try the steampunker's Jetpack combined with the shroomite hoverboard for some fast vertical and horizontal movement and flight time. Personally I prefer these options over the ninja gear because I really hate double-tapping. You might be doing this already, but you'll probably also want to down a water walking potion or use some version of the boots with that effect so you can touch down on the ocean itself; having more places to stand should be way helpful in avoiding sharknados. I just stuck to the beach myself though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Acne Rain posted:

4.) You probably will not be able to concentrate on aiming and dodging at the same time, and you will be dodging. Either make chlorophyte bullets(With a tactical shotgun is what worked for me), use a homing melee weapon, or some kind of homing spell. The last one I've never quite been sucessful with except with nebula weapons I think, I'm not great at mana management or mage builds.

Mana management is pretty easy now for bosses at least, as long as you just chug a mana regeneration potion your mana will regen crazy fast whenever you're not firing. I think they buffed mana regen potions, they didn't used to be this strong. I killed Fishron tonight with pre-lunar event gear using the laser machinegun from a flying saucer drop, and the UFO mount. I was able to fire about 10 seconds straight with about 3 seconds recharge time, not bad at all. I could fire indefinitely if I grabbed stars from killing tornado sharks. The advantage of the UFO mount is you can pour all your accessories into pure damage. No wings, no hoverboard, no nothing. I had a celestial emblem, sorcerer emblem, avenger emblem, destroyer emblem, and ankh shield (obsidian shield would be fine). Accessories were reforged for either damage or crit, but I didn't manage to get +4 on all of them. I wore the specter armor with the damage hat instead of the lifedrain hat. Fishron died hilariously quickly. Arena was just a flat platform with some campfires, heart lanterns, and stars-in-bottles. Potions were Regen, Ironskin, Endurance, Mana Regen, Magic Power, and Life Force. The life force potion proved unnecessary, I never dipped low enough that the potion would have saved me, but it was a nice safety buffer. I also used a crystal ball for the extra buff.

It took about three full mana tanks to kill fishron, which is really not that much.

Outstanding.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Not that hard to kill Fishron with buffs (Ichor Flask helps!), turtle/beetle armour, warding accessories and vampire knives. You can switch to a yoyo when you're ok on HP to make it go more quickly but it's not necessary.

Strategy: Hold M1 in his direction, fly away from his attacks, don't leave the ocean.

Only ever tested this in expert.

You can also do it in Healing Spectre, though it's more of a pain and generally a much tighter fight.

Much easier once you have the mount from him, since he's trivial to dodge with the speed buff from entering water.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
For the first time I killed Fishron I needed to make a sort of football-shaped minecart track over the ocean. I deliberately built it so that Fishron could hit me exactly one time per "lap" so I'd get a mana recharge from the Cuffs, then went to town on him with the laser minigun and alternately shotgun + Chlorophyte bullets. I also sprayed him with the Golden Shower from time to time to keep the Ichor debuff on him. When I got my rhythm down I could basically fire the laser minigun forever. After the first couple of wins I got the Typhoon which makes fighting him much easier.

You can do it with the UFO mount or gravity potions, but using a minecart doesn't take much skill, it's almost automatic once you get your track shaped right. If you don't mind going through dozens of mana potions you can even build a track that will never let him hit you at all unless he gets lucky and puts his tornadoes on your track instead of beneath it.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Dropping heart statues on 1 second timers certainly helped me a lot with Duke Fishron with a heart lantern and campfire beside each one. Asphalt along the bottom of the arena and some platforms above again with heart statues etc. Used the tactical shotgun with a shitload of Chlorophye bullets and just weaved around the Sharknados.

Asciana fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 12, 2015

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So I just started the Lunar Event and defeated the Vortex Pillars. What should I make out of them, the Phantasm or the Vortex Beater? I'm tending towards the Beater and using Chlorophyte bullets but was hoping to hear someone with experiences recommendation.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Asciana posted:

So I just started the Lunar Event and defeated the Vortex Pillars. What should I make out of them, the Phantasm or the Vortex Beater? I'm tending towards the Beater and using Chlorophyte bullets but was hoping to hear someone with experiences recommendation.

They're both quite good. The Beater is probably better just because Chlorophyte bullets are hilariously good, but I haven't used either all that much. The Phantasm and infinite quiver is pretty good for the horde-style events (frost moon, pumpkin moon) though.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Went for the Beater and with just 350 chloro bullets managed to defeat the Nebula Pillar first try. This thing totally shreds.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Asciana posted:

Went for the Beater and with just 350 chloro bullets managed to defeat the Nebula Pillar first try. This thing totally shreds.

Yeah, they buffed the Vortex Beater a bi-

*looks up Beater, sees that after they buffed it slightly, they nerfed it hugely*

... the gently caress?!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phantasm is still hilarious, even at -20 power.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Well it looks like Mac and Linux folk can play now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Asciana posted:

Beater is better for mobbing and the Phantasm is better for bosses.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

watho posted:

Beater is better for mobbing and the Phantasm is better for bosses.

Thats good to know. I'll make the Phantasm next since I'll be redoing all the Pillars again since I just got wrecked by the Moon Lord.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

holy loving nutsack I'm having a hard time with the Brain of Cthulu on expert, first time on a crimson world so I dont really have a strategy, built a big platform arena inside the crimson heart area which seems the intended way given the size, but he just teleports nearby then the eyes all loving GET ON YOUR NUTS and don't stop and jesus christ, maybe I should spawn it by my mine track and kite it or something but meh

even with the full set of meteorite armor + space gun I can't last long enough with potions to clear many of the eyes out

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Indecisive posted:

holy loving nutsack I'm having a hard time with the Brain of Cthulu on expert, first time on a crimson world so I dont really have a strategy, built a big platform arena inside the crimson heart area which seems the intended way given the size, but he just teleports nearby then the eyes all loving GET ON YOUR NUTS and don't stop and jesus christ, maybe I should spawn it by my mine track and kite it or something but meh

even with the full set of meteorite armor + space gun I can't last long enough with potions to clear many of the eyes out

Find an Arkhalis.

Watch as every non-hardmode boss melts, except Wall of Flesh and maybe Skeletron, Expert Mode or not.

Eater of Worlds is particularly hilarious, since it basically looks like he's bouncing off of you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
"find an incredibly rare weapon that doesn't even spawn on most worlds" is not really a viable strategy in most cases

I beat it with a slimy saddle. Trap yourself between the brain and the ceiling of the cave until it explodes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cicadalek posted:

"find an incredibly rare weapon that doesn't even spawn on most worlds" is not really a viable strategy in most cases

I beat it with a slimy saddle. Trap yourself between the brain and the ceiling of the cave until it explodes.

But it IS a hilarious one.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Indecisive posted:

How much health do you have? I was having the same problem until I bit the bullet and went cave diving with spelunker potions to max out my health.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

rodney mullenkamp posted:

How much health do you have? I was having the same problem until I bit the bullet and went cave diving with spelunker potions to max out my health.

340 which I felt should be close enough but maybe not. I'll probably try fighting him outside and kiting since thats like the magic trick for this game but the eyes do like 30-40 damage a hit and it just feels impossible to dodge them in an enclosed space, even with double jump and the shield from the eye to dodge with

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

fishron was a big bully in expert mode, but once i beat him for the first time to get the cute fishron it got super easy

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I mentioned before how I'm in hard mode for the first time, and though I was feeling very lost at first, I'm flying now, just used up all my power cells making a chump out of the golem. :) How concerned do I need to be about the crimson and hallow in my world though? I know the spread should have slowed down now Plantera is dead, but I was checking the quarantine shafts around my base and there was some crimson inside one, is a 4 block wide empty shaft not enough to stop the spread? I guess it could be an infection from the altars I broke at the start that I missed, since it was nearer the hallow side, but I'm still slightly paranoid. Is it worth going mental with hellevators and purifying the world with the clentaminator? Both hallow and corruption are sitting at like 12-15% right now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Marvelous. :golfclap:

So the Cultists will always spawn as long as they have something to stand on? Even if you tore apart the dungeon floor earlier?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you're worried about it just download TerraMap, lets you see everything and you can find where the problem is. Worlds are too drat big to manually explore every nook and cranny, especially with the random infections from breaking altars that could be anywhere.

My understanding is that 3 wide is enough for the stone areas underground, grass can spread 5 wide and on the surface layer you can get those lovely brambles that spread it even farther (thus why some people brick it up with wood or dungeon bricks or something)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I have found one whole heart statue the entire time I've played. It's a pity you can't create them. Or can you?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Marvelous. :golfclap:

So the Cultists will always spawn as long as they have something to stand on? Even if you tore apart the dungeon floor earlier?

Specifically they have to have enough room to spawn in their formation, I think. I had a teleporter right in the middle of the dungeon entrance and it prevented them spawning until I moved it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Davoren posted:

I mentioned before how I'm in hard mode for the first time, and though I was feeling very lost at first, I'm flying now, just used up all my power cells making a chump out of the golem. :) How concerned do I need to be about the crimson and hallow in my world though? I know the spread should have slowed down now Plantera is dead, but I was checking the quarantine shafts around my base and there was some crimson inside one, is a 4 block wide empty shaft not enough to stop the spread? I guess it could be an infection from the altars I broke at the start that I missed, since it was nearer the hallow side, but I'm still slightly paranoid. Is it worth going mental with hellevators and purifying the world with the clentaminator? Both hallow and corruption are sitting at like 12-15% right now.

It's probably something you missed or something from the altars, it's hard to be sure. It doesn't spread all that fast, so no need to panic. Just remove the tainted material, and check back every so often to see if it reappears.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I have found one whole heart statue the entire time I've played. It's a pity you can't create them. Or can you?

You cannot. One easy way (well, easier than randomly wandering at least) to find statues now is to drink a dangersense potion and go spelunking in the underground desert biome. The underground desert biome doesn't have any traps or spiderwebs in it, so whenever you see a danger sparkle it'll be a pressure plate in a house hooked up to a functional statue of some kind.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

Indecisive posted:

The Medusa Head hits in a full circle around you and can make pretty quick work of the eyes if you use fully charged blasts. I'm not sure how practical this is though. I was lucky enough to just have a Medusa Head drop by chance, so I haven't had to experience actually trying to farm for one. On a more reasonable note, don't go into the fight with too many buffs. There's a limit to how many effects you can have at once, and both buffs and debuffs count toward it. Those eyes hit you with a LOT of debuffs, so if that pushes you over the limit it could turn off some of your more important buffs without you noticing.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

You cannot. One easy way (well, easier than randomly wandering at least) to find statues now is to drink a dangersense potion and go spelunking in the underground desert biome. The underground desert biome doesn't have any traps or spiderwebs in it, so whenever you see a danger sparkle it'll be a pressure plate in a house hooked up to a functional statue of some kind.

Make a lot of teleportation potions and go wild :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Things I have discovered about Medusas:
* Getting turned into stone makes you vulnerable to fall damage regardless of how many lucky horseshoe-type accessories you have
* Looks like you even take more damage than normal, though that could just be the added damage of getting turned into stone
* It takes you out of your cart, so they can kill you while you're zapping around at 66 mph on an incline
* The Arkhalis slashing effect is not stopped by being turned into stone (though it is stopped when the debuff ends). The arkhalis and a bunch of minions is therefore the best way to hunt down the horrible medusas

Mzbundifund posted:

I keep finding abandoned cabins with a pressure plate hooked to a chest. Is there something that's supposed to happen when a chest (not a chest statue, a plain old golden chest with loot in it) is activated? Or is it just a bug in the world generator?

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cat Mattress posted:

Things I have discovered about Medusas:
* Getting turned into stone makes you vulnerable to fall damage regardless of how many lucky horseshoe-type accessories you have
* Looks like you even take more damage than normal, though that could just be the added damage of getting turned into stone
* It takes you out of your cart, so they can kill you while you're zapping around at 66 mph on an incline
* The Arkhalis slashing effect is not stopped by being turned into stone (though it is stopped when the debuff ends). The arkhalis and a bunch of minions is therefore the best way to hunt down the horrible medusas

I keep finding abandoned cabins with a pressure plate hooked to a chest. Is there something that's supposed to happen when a chest (not a chest statue, a plain old golden chest with loot in it) is activated? Or is it just a bug in the world generator?

Are you sure it's not just passing through the chest on the way to a statue, light, or trap? Or the door?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The one and only antidote to medusas is Featherfall potions. They're the only thing that negate stoned fall damage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quick question: if my base/town/whatever is actually built underground branching off a living tree tunnel, will I be hosed if I enter hardmode and the biome change runs through my base? Should I be moving everything topside?

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick question: if my base/town/whatever is actually built underground branching off a living tree tunnel, will I be hosed if I enter hardmode and the biome change runs through my base? Should I be moving everything topside?

Actually, I've found underground to be safer than the surface, assuming you're actually IN the underground layer. Lots of events won't apply if you're in the underground layer or lower, and those events are also generally the only things that allow monsters to spawn around NPCs. Being able to just ignore a blood moon or solar eclipse if you don't feel like bothering with it is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Llednar Twem posted:

Actually, I've found underground to be safer than the surface, assuming you're actually IN the underground layer. Lots of events won't apply if you're in the underground layer or lower, and those events are also generally the only things that allow monsters to spawn around NPCs. Being able to just ignore a blood moon or solar eclipse if you don't feel like bothering with it is quite nice.

Good to know. I was worried I'd have to relocate everything before I took the hardmode plunge.