Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Lovecraftchat a few pages ago reminded me, I read "Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" recently and now I kind of wish that that had been the big influence on fantasy rather than Tolkien. Instead of humans, dwarves and elves in every setting it's humans, ghouls and cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

SJG basically gave up on supporting GURPS one Steve Jackson woke up one morning and realized he could make money with much less effort by endlessly licensing Munchkin expansions and merchandise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Carrasco posted:

Lovecraftchat a few pages ago reminded me, I read "Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" recently and now I kind of wish that that had been the big influence on fantasy rather than Tolkien. Instead of humans, dwarves and elves in every setting it's humans, ghouls and cats.

a lot of Lovecraft's stuff is pretty perfect for D&D Fantasy(makes sense since his close friend Robert E Howard was one of the more important early influences on D&D), one could easily do an adventure based on Rats In The Walls or The Colour Out of Space(heck all you really need to do is tone down the madness stuff and most early Mythos stuff slots into D&D very easily)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My favorite GURPS magic system was the hoodoo-inspired spirit summoning used in GURPS spirits.

GURPS was ahead of its time in many ways, and remains one of my favorite RPGs to this day due to its truly remarkable supplements. I don't play it anymore, because the system its share of barnacles and doesn't have any concept of balance or player-friendliness. The sub-systems in many of its supplements have ideas still haven't been replicated elsewhere, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

EDIT: also looking over SJGames' site they barely have anything for GURPS in print, it's kinda ridiculous

Does GURPS come in a convenient pocket-sized format with illustrations by John Kovalic? No? Then SJG doesn't give a poo poo about it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Impermanent posted:

My favorite GURPS magic system was the hoodoo-inspired spirit summoning used in GURPS spirits.

GURPS was ahead of its time in many ways, and remains one of my favorite RPGs to this day due to its truly remarkable supplements. I don't play it anymore, because the system its share of barnacles and doesn't have any concept of balance or player-friendliness. The sub-systems in many of its supplements have ideas still haven't been replicated elsewhere, though.

clearly someone needs to make a more streamlined GURPS clone that's as compatible with it as legally possible(that or replicates as much GURPS content as possible)

Kai Tave posted:

Does GURPS come in a convenient pocket-sized format with illustrations by John Kovalic? No? Then SJG doesn't give a poo poo about it.

guess we'll have to wait for Steve Jackson to die and then hope someone offers to buy or liscence GURPS off SJG

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Considering SJG still releases micro-supplements through e23, they seem plenty dedicated to GURPS in the sense that they like it and want to support it, but also it's an RPG so it makes poo poo money.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

Considering SJG still releases micro-supplements through e23, they seem plenty dedicated to GURPS in the sense that they like it and want to support it, but also it's an RPG so it makes poo poo money.

Yeah, what I said was probably more snide than it needed to be, Steve Jackson seems like a guy who doesn't just want to roll around on a pile of Munchkin money forever (apparently he kind of regrets that SJG is now "the Munchkin company" in most peoples' minds) and he did release a version of Ogre that you could use as an emergency shelter if you wanted. But you're on point that GURPS almost certainly doesn't make as much money as Munchkin does, though its minimal and low-key releases probably don't help matters for an RPG that's always been known for an extensive body of supplementary material.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

they should really start hopping on the Kickstarter bandwagon, I bet a new edition of GURPS would make a butt ton of money since it's still a pretty big name

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

they should really start hopping on the Kickstarter bandwagon, I bet a new edition of GURPS would make a butt ton of money since it's still a pretty big name

Honestly, considering that SJG has figured out what makes them a decent amount of money (i.e. not RPGs) and have stayed the hell away from the landmine-lined field of Kickstarter, they might qualify as the most business savvy tradgames publisher in existence at the moment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, considering that SJG has figured out what makes them a decent amount of money (i.e. not RPGs) and have stayed the hell away from the landmine-lined field of Kickstarter, they might qualify as the most business savvy tradgames publisher in existence at the moment.

but they have done several Kickstarters...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

but they have done several Kickstarters...

I sort of meant in an RPG context, sorry. I know they did Ogre via Kickstarter, but what else have they done? Did they do something GURPS related and I just missed it?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

They also did a Car Wars Kickstarter not that long ago, but I think that's it.

drrockso20 posted:

"GURPS would probably be a big (for an RPG) Kickstarter success" isn't very compelling in the face of any other successfully run business. It's not like Fate Core/Exalted 3/Numenera aren't putting the better part of those $$$$ into production, stretch goals and fulfillment. Look at the backer tiers for those things. People expect and mostly get retail-equivalent prices for backing a product at least, and plenty of folks bitch and moan about not getting even more product for that same price.

I would just crap out another Munchkin expansion with a crowdfunding theme.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Top 40 Products by Dollar Volume
1. Munchkin 21. Munchkin Booty
2. Munchkin Deluxe 22. Munchkin 5 – De-Ranged
3. Munchkin Legends 23. Munchkin 7 – Cheat With Both Hands
4. Zombie Dice 24. Illuminati
5. Ogre (Kickstarter Edition) 25. Munchkin Game Changers
6. Munchkin Zombies 26. Castellan
7. Munchkin Apocalypse 27. Chez Geek: House Party Edition
8. Munchkin 2 – Unnatural Axe 28. Munchkin Zombies 2 – Armed and Dangerous
9. Ogre (Designer Edition) 29. Munchkin Holiday Surprise
10. Munchkin Cthulhu 30. Munchkin Conan
11. Munchkin 3 – Clerical Errors 31. The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin
12. Munchkin Pathfinder 32. Zombie Dice 2 – Double Feature
13. Munchkin Quest 33. Munchkin Level Playing Field
14. Munchkin 4 – The Need for Steed 34. Munchkin 6 – Demented Dungeons
15. Star Munchkin 35. Munchkin Unnatural Axe (B&N Exclusive)
16. Super Munchkin 36. Munchkin Dragons
17. Trophy Buck 37. Munchkin Axe Cop
18. Munchkin Bites! 38. Castellan International
19. Ogre Canvas Bag 39. GURPS Basic Set: Characters
20. Munchkin 8 – Half Horse, Will Travel 40. Munchkin Tricky Treats

Formatting is a bit screwed because I'm on a phone, and it's from 2013, but this is one of the major reasons SJ Games don't do more non-Munchkin.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, they also do very little promotion of non-Munchkin properties. Despite just having a successful Kickstarter, Car Wars Classic had zero SJ Games promotion at Gen Con. Despite them putting out new scenarios for Ogre, it also had no events. Munchkin had 24 events. I understand Munchkin will kick the crap out of them monetarily in any circumstance, but there's a point where it feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did Car Wars actually get a Kickstarter or do you guys mean that reprinted maps thing?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's sad. Gurps is what got me into TGs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The reprinted Arena Books set, though they also reprinted Car Wars Classic a year ago as well. TBF, they were promoting the Car Wars Card Game, but the card game isn't very good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

drrockso20 posted:

one could easily do an adventure based on The Colour Out of Space
This is true! I did exactly this in 3.5 D&D a while back. The PCs managed to only be vaguely successful in dealing with it, which dovetailed amazingly into several other Lovecraft stories.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, I did a Color Out of Space adventure once for my players when they reached Paragon in 4E. A migration of the monsters were feeding off a neighborhood of nobles in a large city, who hired the players to figure out what was going on. It ended with their whole neighborhood in flames while the players dashed around beating up the manifesting creatures before facing down the main one as it rose out of the sewers. They really only managed to save themselves, stole their pay (and more) from the smoking ruins of the dead nobles' homes and rode off into the sunset. Good times.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Come to think about it, one could probably squeeze Arkham County/Miskatonic Valley into a D&D setting pretty easily with only minimal changes depending on the setting's tech levels(mostly just replacing references to real world locations and people with appropriate local analogues), possibly sticking in similar "Lovecraft Counties" from other authors into nearby regions as well(like a version of Steven King's Maine or the various Mythos locations in Britain, or Imboca from the movie Dagon), as well as some of the various fantastical cities that come up in the Mythos that aren't in the Dream Lands like Irem or Ry'leh(not sure though if the Dream Lands should remain a separate but attached world like normal, or if it should be integrated into the normal campaign setting map, not to mention whether to include anything from Conan and other early periods in the Mythos as well)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

moths posted:

I lucked out because I only buy stuff on Drivethru via Paypal. You got my hopes up about a Torchbearer expansion, but it looks like it's just a few odds and ends - some of which are free. I was surprised to see some Burning Wheel on there, but Luke Crane is still a big dumb idiot so you can't get anything you'd actually want. (Or print versions, apparently.)

Levels 6+ are still a pipe dream...

Cat chat:
About two years ago I was driving home and got stuck behind a van that had inexplicably stopped. There was a sudden flurry of movement, and I thought he'd hit a family of ducks. He fast-walked back to the driver's side and zoomed out of there.

Fucker dumped a whole litter of kittens. I tried to gather up as many as I could to take to a local no-kill shelter where a coworker volunteers. But they were quick, it was dark, and the only one I caught was this dummy who thought she could hide by squatting in the grass:

After I got home, I had to spend the rest of the night disassembling the dashboard to get her out of where she'd climbed up. She fit in the palm of my hand.

Her eyes were swollen shut for a few weeks. She had an itchy eye infection that she scratched by rubbing her face in litter - which got trapped in her eyes and made things worse. (When we realized what was happening, we switched to shredded newspaper 'litter.) She's given us some other scares, but now she's a big fat doofcat. (And her eyes work.)

that went from :( to :) quickly; post more doofcat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

alternatively, pose your cat with a flaming guitar and post the doof warrior cat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are even stats for Cthulhu in various D&D beastiaries!

That's ... that's not what you meant, did you

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are even stats for Cthulhu in various D&D beastiaries!

That's ... that's not what you meant, did you

Well if the Mythos is included as part of the D&D milieu than one has to accept that it's critters need to be killable now(although a lot of them are quite killable even in the source material)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cthulhu is a fail rear end Monster that got knocked out by ramming a boat on it. That poo poo wouldn't work even on the crappiest Kaiju like the giant lobster that Godzilla fought.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

drrockso20 posted:

Well if the Mythos is included as part of the D&D milieu than one has to accept that it's critters need to be killable now(although a lot of them are quite killable even in the source material)
Dagon is straight-up statted out as a demon lord in one of the fiendish compendiums. He is technically killable but it would be one hell of an undertaking.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I seem to recall one of the Pelgrane guys (90% Hite certainty) doing a version of 13th Age where the Mythos gods are icons for a personal campaign. IIRC, he includes negative results for icons on a 1 with that version, too, or at least made the costs on a 5 considerably sharper.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Cthulhu is a fail rear end Monster that got knocked out by ramming a boat on it. That poo poo wouldn't work even on the crappiest Kaiju like the giant lobster that Godzilla fought.

Cthulhu Mythos actually does have a lot of fail rear end monsters. Wilbur Whateley gets owned by a simple-rear end dog that catches him being a terrible thief, despite his supposed ability with spells and being made of otherworldly material.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Yawgmoth posted:

Dagon is straight-up statted out as a demon lord in one of the fiendish compendiums. He is technically killable but it would be one hell of an undertaking.

Not really. Guy is CR 22, so the PCs should be at least level 17 by the time the game expects them to consider challenging him, and thus should have access to 9th level spells. His special abilities can all be neutralized by various spells- Mind Blank and/or Protection From Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil for most of mind-affecting abilities, Freedom of Movement for his grappling abilities and Heroes' Feast for his poison and fear abilities. His spellcasting ability is garbage because he's got mostly utility spells, some crummy blasting spells and almost no crowd control abilities, and all of his spells have DCs that would be sub-mediocre on an opponent ten levels earlier because they're linked to his comically low Charisma of 16. He doesn't have the actions or abilities to fight a party of four or more on his own and a good crowd control spell can sweep the field of any of his minions for a few rounds, buying you time to tag him with a lockdown ability then roll up and enjoy the buffet.

3e does not do big bad solo monsters very well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LightWarden posted:

Not really. Guy is CR 22, so the PCs should be at least level 17 by the time the game expects them to consider challenging him, and thus should have access to 9th level spells. His special abilities can all be neutralized by various spells- Mind Blank and/or Protection From Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil for most of mind-affecting abilities, Freedom of Movement for his grappling abilities and Heroes' Feast for his poison and fear abilities. His spellcasting ability is garbage because he's got mostly utility spells, some crummy blasting spells and almost no crowd control abilities, and all of his spells have DCs that would be sub-mediocre on an opponent ten levels earlier because they're linked to his comically low Charisma of 16. He doesn't have the actions or abilities to fight a party of four or more on his own and a good crowd control spell can sweep the field of any of his minions for a few rounds, buying you time to tag him with a lockdown ability then roll up and enjoy the buffet.

3e does not do big bad solo monsters very well.
While all of this is true, my last line was mostly just to include a few puns. Also lol @ DMs who use any monster straight out of the book past lv7 because guaranteed your PCs are so far afield from when Skip Williams and crew expected the "usual party" to be by that time that it's a very safe bet that any given monster is gonna be either totally useless (from a PC having a silver bullet against their main gimmick) or a total steamroll (because they forgot/didn't feel the need to protect against it yet).

I had a party of lv18 PCs go up against the CR 36 silver wyrm in dragons of eberron and the only reason he survived at all was because the PCs couldn't sneak past his fortress's alerts and defenses and so on, so he had time to buff and prepare. Fight still only lasted 4-5 turns though.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's sad. Gurps is what got me into TGs.

Munchkin and other such games are what keeps GURPS alive. I doubt there would be GURPS books put out if SJG wasn't making money on something else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Captain Foo posted:

that went from :( to :) quickly; post more doofcat

This one's pretty :smith::

I had to use my cellphone camera to find her in the dashboard, it was too cramped to get my head in there to look. This is photo that revealed where she was hidden. (Her paw was about the size of a dime, in the middle of the shot.)

But here's a happy video! It's from after she'd been to the vet, her eyes are a little better and she's moving around a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zn-94246Wc

And here's where she gets frightened of a schoolbus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7LCJ6iaDw

This is her as awkward teenage cat time.

And here's how she watches you poop like a creep.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

okay people find me a game that can pull this sort of campaign setting off;

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Tenra Bansho Zero, maybe? I'm not too familiar with how it works in practice though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Run it in GURPS

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

drrockso20 posted:

Apocalypse World

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Literally any game system that isn't tied to a setting and even so with the right homebrew. Next.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

Tenra Bansho Zero, maybe? I'm not too familiar with how it works in practice though.

that is a possibility as I do have a PDF copy from backing the kickstarter(although if I were to run it I'd need to pick up a physical copy)

Swagger Dagger posted:

Run it in GURPS

a possibility, although that relies on having to use potentially a lot of books

Meinberg posted:

Apocalypse World

got nothing against AW but it's way too light of a system for my tastes

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Literally any game system that isn't tied to a setting and even so with the right homebrew. Next.

wow way to be completely unhelpful and lazy, I was already aware of that possibility(one would have to be completely new to RPGs to not know that), was looking for actual suggestions, cause while I've got a couple ideas in mind, more would be welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spiderfist Island posted:

Yeah, TB0 would be perfect.

The best rhing about TB0 isn't its setting, but how it breaks down scenes and the chits mechanic.

• Locked thread