Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

GOOCHY posted:

Dude! This was my entire day today and probably tomorrow too.

gently caress government IT people. gently caress them.

TLDR: Government systems guys plugged fiber drops into wrong NIC ports. "Why can't we ping the gateway?"

Wrong port/VLAN, duders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Holy gently caress that is beautiful.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Agrikk posted:

Apparently, it is A Thing at my company to create a severity 1 ticket on one's last day saying, "Today is my last day!"

A Sev1 ticket pages pretty much the whole company including the CEO.

Those wacky software engineers.

My last two companies have both had part-of-the-culture @all emails for both incoming and outgoing employees, the latter of which are inevitably "Friday is my last day, now you have an excuse to bail at 4:30 to get drunk at the bar up the road".
(Not that some people don't bail at 4:30 to get drunk at that bar every Friday anways)

At my previous job, one of the QA guys left a Sev 1 ticket for a dev that was "QA Guy not in seat. Repro: Go to QA pit, stare forlornly at seat QA Guy used to sit in". The dev filed a fix the next week by giving the replacement QA person a "QA Guy" nametag, closed it out as "Resolved- Can't Reproduce", and the QA Ticket number ended up accidentally immortalized in our internal changeset documentation for that game.

So the idea of having a full-company email for someone's last day doesn't seem that wacky to me.

e:

Any time I hear about unrestricted email distribution lists used for internal discussion, all I can picture is a infomercial-esque skit of some poor exchange admin buried in a pile of mail. "There's got to be a better way!"

I'm still a little sad that Google Wave never really took off.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

:downs:: You've gotta learn to start working more than 40 hours a week.

Oh, hell no. If you are salaried exempt status (and that's a whole kettle of fish right there depending on your duties), then they can gently caress right off. Your salary is based on a 40 hour work week. If they fire you for being unwilling to work more hours than you are being paid. That's an Dept. of Labor grievance and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you're hourly overtime is sweet, but it's illegal for an employer to make it mandatory. Again grievance and lawsuit if your terminated for standing up for yourself.

They'll try to get you on something else if you make waves, so start keeping a Pearl Harbor diary now. Keep times/dates and a summary of every conversation. Keep emails of these topics. Evernote works great for this.

Know your rights when it comes to your remuneration. Don't take my word. Spend a couple hundred and do a consult with a lawyer that specializes in labor law.

Protect yourself and don't go along to get along. That's a good way to a bitter, burned out career.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
It's important to note that if you treat that as "I am here 9-5, no matter what" you are useless to this industry and are causing everyone around you more work.

You should be averaging 40 hours a week over the course of <period of time>.

If one week everything is bullshit and you're in the office for 70 hours, that's okay, sometimes working in a 24/7 environment sucks. But if you don't get some additional time off or go home early pretty much every day for the next couple of weeks, you're getting hosed.

I have ~unlimited vacation~ and I am fine with long work weeks in exchange for taking 5-8 weeks of vacation throughout the year.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The last two posts are nice fantasies. That's not how labor in the United States works. Sorry about that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but "I worked a lot this week and I'm probably going to end up working a lot next week, too" isn't something to complain about, or be self righteous about if your job isn't like that. That is simply how a lot of people are able to stand out at their job and advance up the ladder. It can be a way for someone to learn a lot in a short period of time, earn favor with the bosses, inch closer to a pay raise or title bump, or put together some good resume bullets. But the constant reactions to people working extra hours is pretty stupid and has very little to do with the real world.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you work more than 40 hours a week, you're literally worse than Hitler.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, but you're pretty dumb if you're not getting something for it. That something doesn't have to be money, but it should be valuable to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spent most of yesterday convinced it was Thursday :argh:

Going to have to drink tonight to make up for it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poo poo pissing me off: The Blue Screen of Reactivation.

Yes, Microsoft, I know, I activated this Windows license on another computer. I have it on this one because that computer is a parrot in a Monty Python sketch right now because my video card went and X79 builds don't have no IGP.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: People scheduling meetings before I actually start work, even after constantly telling them "I don't start until 8am EST".

I also have the first 15mins of my day blocked out so I can take care of any urgent issues early, but nope, people still schedule meetings during that period as well.

Please learn how to schedule meetings people.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Migishu posted:

poo poo pissing me off: People scheduling meetings before I actually start work, even after constantly telling them "I don't start until 8am EST".

I also have the first 15mins of my day blocked out so I can take care of any urgent issues early, but nope, people still schedule meetings during that period as well.

Please learn how to schedule meetings people.

Yeah, I do my best to avoid meetings within the first hour of my work day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Yeah, I do my best to avoid meetings

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Moey posted:

Yeah, I do my best to avoid work.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Printers! GRRRRR!!!!

Maybe someone here might have an idea... I have a user that yesterday started having a extra page print with every single print job they do. The extra page lists the User, Host, Class, and Job name. This occurs when they print to only one particular printer, and it ONLY happens from this user's computer. It also occurs with any print job, be it from a PDF, Word document, or even a windows printer test page. Other users printing to this printer do not have this problem.

I have triple checked that the Job Separator page is not enabled. I have dug through the printer properties pages making sure any job/banner page is disabled. I have even deleted and re-added the printer from Windows. But the drat page persists.

It is a HP OfficeJet Pro X585 MFP if it matters....

Edit: Somehow the "LPD Banner Page" setting buried deep in the Printer networking setup was enabled. But it only affected one user printing to that printer and they where not utilizing LPD printing either. Printers. :mad:

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 13, 2015

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The last two posts are nice fantasies. That's not how labor in the United States works. Sorry about that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but "I worked a lot this week and I'm probably going to end up working a lot next week, too" isn't something to complain about, or be self righteous about if your job isn't like that. That is simply how a lot of people are able to stand out at their job and advance up the ladder. It can be a way for someone to learn a lot in a short period of time, earn favor with the bosses, inch closer to a pay raise or title bump, or put together some good resume bullets. But the constant reactions to people working extra hours is pretty stupid and has very little to do with the real world.

If you take a job negotiating on the premise you will be working roughly 40 hours weekly, and you've been putting in 60 for months at a time with no relief in sight, no you actually should be pursuing some form of compensation or looking for another job. That poo poo right there is how you burn out and get jaded. When you bring it up to management and they go "pull your weight lol" would be the point I mentally check out and go find another job.

That compensation could be money, could be a really nice vacation in the company dime, idk. But the premise that people shouldn't be mad for devaluing their pay is the one that makes zero sense to me. Most people want to go home and be with their family and friends, not grinding away stupid long hours for what is effectively no pay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, but if you're salaried, you're pretty much an idiot for doing it for free. Doubly so for not fighting back on "mandatory" unpaid overtime.

I get that sometimes you'll need to put in a couple extra hours here and there, but the people devaluing themselves in this thread is crazy. Over the last 2 jobs I've had in the last decade, I've had zero issues demanding compensation in the form of either comp-time or guaranteed bonus money for extended periods of 40+ hour work weeks.

The market is not so bad that you can't look out for yourself.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Recruiter: "I have a great temp opportunity in $region!"
LD: "I'm looking for permanent, full-time positions only. Also, $region is a 2 hour commute. That's out side of my comfort zone. I can comfortably work in $region2 and $region3."
Recruiter: "I don't consult for $region2 and $region3. Can't you just deal with the commute or relocate?"
LD: "I have a house and a mortgage, so a 2 hour commute or relocating for a temp position isn't worthwhile."
Recruiter: "You'd get a lot further in life if you were more flexible." *click*

I... what the hell just happened?

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 13, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

That recruiter would get a lot further in their job if they listened to what people said to them

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mewse posted:

That recruiter would get a lot further in their job if they listened to what people said to them

On the contrary.

That recruiter wants volume, not long-term relationships. He wants to convince you to do something that's not in your best interest, because it is in his. If you won't play ball, the best he can do is a parting shot.

Some recruiters (and the agencies that promote this behavior) just suck.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I... what the hell just happened?

That is irritating enough that I would call them back just to bitch about that guy. Wow, what an rear end in a top hat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Recruiter: "You'd get a lot further in life if you were more flexible." *click*
Retort: "You'd get a lot further in life if you weren't a glorified robocaller."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I like the stone wall of misunderstanding approach, myself.

"I've got a great opportunity in Fort Worth!"
"I live in Frisco."
"This job is in Fort Worth, it's a sys admin position"
"I live in Frisco."
"This job pays $10.25 an hour"
"I live in Frisco."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."

Jesus, 10 bucks an hour for a sysadmin position in dfw? I was grossly underpaid making 20,and rent is so high here even that barely paid the bills.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Or to copy what I just wrote out in the Working in IT thread:

"I want you to come work for my company in the DC area as a tier 1-2 helpdesk guy despite living in NJ, my libertarian culture leaking through my ears, and the fact that you'll be taking a pay cut for the pleasure... but here's a a grand to make relocation easier."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

RFC2324 posted:

Jesus, 10 bucks an hour for a sysadmin position in dfw? I was grossly underpaid making 20,and rent is so high here even that barely paid the bills.
Nah I've never been called by a recruiter out here I'm just doing typical recruiter type things there

The only way I'd take $10.25 an hour is if they let me work 90 hours a week to make up the different know what I mean

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Apparently, it is A Thing at my company to create a severity 1 ticket on one's last day saying, "Today is my last day!"

A Sev1 ticket pages pretty much the whole company including the CEO.

Those wacky software engineers.

Oh, to work at a place where sev 1 incidents are so rare as to make this at all workable. :allears:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

*Sev 1 ticket*
"Please IT gods, my thumbnail previews are no longer working for <program>. This must be fixed NOW. It is negatively affecting my ability to work!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."

otoh perfect opportunity to get out of Frisco

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."
"I live in Frisco."

Sup dallas metro area buddy?

Huge monster metro areas like this really confuse recruiters. I had similar problems in Phoenix. Unless you're in California or LA, nobody cares to google maps anything. Apparently, to them, the entire metro area is easily drivable anywhere to anyone.

Then again, I have recruiters spamming me for positions thousands of miles away, so they probably dont care as others have said.

EDIT:

go3 posted:

I'd take frisco over cowtown anyday. yeesh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress Time Warner.

I got a circuit from them to be the backup line for the HQ. I was also going to route all our wifi traffic over it to keep the primary circuit clean. Tech delivers the circuit yesterday and installs the Arris modem. He asks if I want it in bridged mode and I explain that it will be running right into my firewall so yes, bridged mode, all features off. I plug a laptop in to test it today and it pulls an IP.

Long story short:

TW could not explain this and they refused to give me the management login info. Not an issue because they left the password as "password" and as I expected it's not bridged, DHCP is on, the built-in firewall is on, etc. After turning all of this off if you set up the laptop to use the static IP and other info from TW it doesn't work. If you set the laptop for DHCP is still pulls a goddamn IP, but this time from some Road Runner server on their network. And with that info you still can't get anywhere because the DNS addresses it sends are unreachable.

I feel like I should just buy my own modem.

Not long after I posted this the modem fell off the wall. Tech had put it up there was a measly little piece of double sided tape.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nitrogen posted:

I'd take frisco over cowtown anyday. yeesh.

Lewisville is where its at... If you like hellholes, anyway

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

there was a point, many years ago, a tech manager was questioning my technical background because i used linux.

he thought linux was a virus.

the CTO wouldn't go to icanhazip.com because he thought he could get hacked by the website, even though it could clearly benefit for our project on many levels. it also was cleared by websense.

but nope, gonna get hacked.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I mentioned to my manager if they could try to not scheduled meetings before I start as it makes it hard for me to get to them, and they were all cool with it.

So instead they scheduled a 1hr meeting with a whole bunch of people at a time where I have another 1hr meeting.

For fucks sake.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm horribly tempted to enable "Decline meetings that conflict with others" just to piss someone else off for a change.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Migishu posted:

I'm horribly tempted to enable "Decline meetings that conflict with others" just to piss someone else off for a change.

Do this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My hedge fund had a calendar for the two conference rooms and then for the starbucks no the corner, since their marketing team kept having meetings there, and sometimes there's be three independent meetings at once. The place only had three tables in a small corner, so it was a little over the top. Eventually the manager told them enough, no more Starbucks meetings.

The SEC is extremely strict about how hedge funds can market.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

go3 posted:

Ima smack the poo poo out you kid, Frisco is amazing.

RFC2324 posted:

Lewisville is where its at... If you like hellholes, anyway
We did think about Carrollton though - good central location, on the rise with Castle Hills. But, Frisco, come on, it's Frisco.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 13, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Not work-related, but I built a gaming computer out of oldish but still decent parts as a favor for a family friend who has a gamer son but not enough money to keep them equipped. A couple months later it stopped booting Windows with an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error, so I assumed the HDD failed. After running diagnostics I couldn't find the problem, turns out the kid found a Tumblr saying if you went into the BIOS and set the SATA controller to IDE mode, you'd get higher framerates in League of Legends :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Caconym posted:

Oh, to work at a place where sev 1 incidents are so rare as to make this at all workable. :allears:

I have it good- normal Users can't choose a ticket priority, and even if they ask for a sev1 ticket it can/will only be used for issues that are bringing down entire sites. (Router is dead, whole site down. Vendor's software on the AS400 puked and corrupted some of their their un-journaled database tables, whole state is down :v: , etc. )