Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

What is Amarant's...thing? Like his class/job? Everyone else has pretty standard roles but I don't get him. From what I remember, he uses Knuckles, has Throw, and the Brigandine armor I spent forever stealing is just for him and Zidane so that must mean Amarant can learn Return Magic. The dude is all over the board.

Monk/Ninja

If you mean what you use him for ingame, he has pretty decent normal attacks, throw can do good damage, and he has some nice support options like giving back MP for free.

I was looking for an old post of mine on this but apparently I have like 500 posts in this loving thread. I have a post from 2012 about how it's funny they haven't announced an FF7 remake. Truly we are in a golden age...

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I hope they replace Palmer in the remake with Jihl Nabaat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope they don't replace cait sith

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Monk/Ninja

If you mean what you use him for ingame, he has pretty decent normal attacks, throw can do good damage, and he has some nice support options like giving back MP for free.

Throw is pretty great. Pinwheels are chip yet do about 700 damage which is decent for this point in the game and as long as you have other people to supplement it.

Once I have enough Gil to start buying lots of decent weapons, I suspect they will be awesome for chucking at bosses.

Speaking of money, I just beat Tantarian in the mod! I owe it all to Amarant's Spare Change. I don't know if there is a formula to Tantarian, or if you just have to rely on blind luck in hoping you get the right page, but Amarant pretty much always got the right page with Spare Change. I got so many good items out of that fight. Running Shoes...Auto-Haste...I'm so gladI went through with that. Oh and the Demon's Mail is pretty nice too, way better than what Freya had on currently. Silver Fork I'm not sure if it's good or not but I got it too.

So I'm at the point of Disk 3 where the world kind of opens up more thanks to our boat. I will ask this now because I'm already dreading it. My recent spamming of Ethers has got me quite worried about the Desert Palace. That is a ways off still seeing as I need to sidequest and gain levels for Freya and Steiner, but the fact remains that it will happen and I'm very nervous. Every fight will demand a ton of MP to kill the enemies. One party member at least is almost guaranteed to be drained, be it Vivi or Garnet. For my fourth party member I guess I could take the "sort of" mage Quina or Amarant? i got my nice new Silver Fork for the first one...

I'm almost tempted to send Freya with the Desert Palace team because White Draw restores MP to all allies. I'm not sure how effective it is but that is the description of it. (it's one of the many things I have to learn with her) Her high HP and Cover would also be very nice.

I remember a surprising amount about this game's dungeons and areas but the Desert Palace, while I recall the basic layout and I'm sure I'll be like "oh yeah!" when I see it again, was a puzzle dungeon and I recall very little of the puzzles. You light some candles but you gotta make sure it's the right candles and stuff. Being a somewhat more intelligent adult instead of a dumb baby like when I last played this game, maybe it will all seem a lot simpler.

I gotta remember to get all those Bloodstones though...I usually missed one. But I can't afford the boss to be stronger than it needs to be. I'm all for challenges but not with this party and with my preciously limited resources. I know there's a save moogle in there somewhere and I'm gonna buy/steal a bajillion Tents before I start that section.

But yeah, just looking for recommendations about how to go about that whole section.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Results for the Three-Month Period Ending June 30, 2015? Results for the Three-Month Period Ending June 30, 2015

They largely credited mobile/PC browser for this period's success. They did not list Final Fantasy Mobius but it wasn't out for very long. The game released June 4th, was briefly taken down for technical issues, and has gone on to have a feast or famine success in the F2P charts.

MMOs did well due to expansions and retail sales. Console game sales were down but their digital catalog sales performed made up the slack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I've heard LR is actually good but I'm never going to get it because gently caress spending more money on Toriyama's subpar waifu. She is the worst Final Fantasy protagonist and I don't say that lightly.

Hot take.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Results for the Three-Month Period Ending June 30, 2015? Results for the Three-Month Period Ending June 30, 2015

They largely credited mobile/PC browser for this period's success. They did not list Final Fantasy Mobius but it wasn't out for very long. The game released June 4th, was briefly taken down for technical issues, and has gone on to have a feast or famine success in the F2P charts.

MMOs did well due to expansions and retail sales. Console game sales were down but their digital catalog sales performed made up the slack.

Given the console titles to choose from this quarter, the fact that those figures are down does not concern me much. However, I do like how that keeps being contrasted with digital sales in their reports. The more that message gets circulated among those with the money and power the more likely we will see more Steam releases of preexisting and new titles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final Fantasy 15 is going to be a simultaneous release, no delay from the japanese release.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

thank you.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy 15 is going to be a simultaneous release, no delay from the japanese release.

Glad to see SE joining the 21st century. Either that, or they realised the game would make more money in late 2016 than early 2017, no-one in Japan owns a PS4 or Xbox One so there's no reason to release it in that region first, and the internet means that there would be full playthroughs online months before anyone could buy it in English.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Honestly it's what I expected it would do from the start. v:v:v

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I'd be interested in LR but not at the expense of having to play it on PS3. My DS3s are hit the gently caress up at this point and I don't feel like buying another one on top of that game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pink hair is one of the better anime hair colrs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pink hair in anime and games: good

pink hair in real life: run

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

pink hair in anime and games: good

pink hair in real life: run

What do I do in this situation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

does not compute

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

What do I do in this situation

Put a ring on it

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In Training posted:

Put a ring on it

:golfclap:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

Honestly it's what I expected it would do from the start. v:v:v

Yeah, this isn't really surprising. Square's been developing their games in tandem with localizations for a while now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Baal posted:

Yeah, this isn't really surprising. Square's been developing their games in tandem with localizations for a while now.

Their Eidos games and ports, yeah. Not brand new games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know if there is a formula to Tantarian

When you do damage to Tantarian, it adds that amount to the page counter, and it loops back to 0 when you exceed 255. Tantarian is between pages 150 and 200. Spare Change does fixed damage, so if you get the right amount it will always get the right page.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Their Eidos games and ports, yeah. Not brand new games.

Most of XIII was developed with the localization in mind, not to even bring up that the voice actors had to record new lines constantly during development and even if it didn't get a worldwide release with the Japanese release it was only three months out from that release. XIII-2 came out within a month of its initial release and LR was another three month deal. Duodecim came out within three weeks of its JP release to every other place, because guess what? The localization was done side by side with the game's development. Not every game gets this treatment of course, because some are not worth putting as much money into to do that sort of thing, but this is Square's biggest game in a long time and it should be a no brainer that they would do this considering they've made a very clear attempt to get responses from every part of their fanbase around the world.

I'm not even gonna bring up both versions of XIV being simultaneous in all places except Korea and China at first, because it's an MMO so that's kind of unfair.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Fister Roboto posted:

When you do damage to Tantarian, it adds that amount to the page counter, and it loops back to 0 when you exceed 255. Tantarian is between pages 150 and 200. Spare Change does fixed damage, so if you get the right amount it will always get the right page.

:aaaaa:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Xavier434 posted:

Given the console titles to choose from this quarter, the fact that those figures are down does not concern me much. However, I do like how that keeps being contrasted with digital sales in their reports. The more that message gets circulated among those with the money and power the more likely we will see more Steam releases of preexisting and new titles.

Many Japanese publishers are embracing digital distribution. I think just about every major Japanese publisher except Tecmo-Koei is reporting good year-over-year growth for digital sales.

Part of it is the squeeze they're feeling at retail. In Japan, the market is shrinking with most of the growth coming from games aimed at very young children. In the West, they're struggling to compete with Western publishers in retail, including even B and C-list publishers like Zenimax and Deep Silver. They have to make up the difference from somewhere.

That loving Sned posted:

Glad to see SE joining the 21st century. Either that, or they realised the game would make more money in late 2016 than early 2017, no-one in Japan owns a PS4 or Xbox One so there's no reason to release it in that region first, and the internet means that there would be full playthroughs online months before anyone could buy it in English.

It just doesn't make sense for a global series have such a staggered release. It's especially not good in the current AAA system of have a big launch and maintaining post launch support with DLC.

It's also becoming increasingly harder for AAA games on home consoles to succeed in Japan like they did in the past. Other than New Super Mario Bros. U and Mario Kart 8, no home console game has sold more than a million in this generation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFXV will be a simultaneous world wide release but you're going to end up wishing it wasn't released at all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I believe in XV

Episode Duscae was good

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Aurain posted:

FFXV will be a simultaneous world wide release but you're going to end up wishing it wasn't released at all.

Did you enjoy the demo after playing it for a while?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

I believe in XV

Episode Duscae was good

Agreed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna be the Brutal Legend demo all over again and the rest of the game is just an airship simulator.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be okay with that as long as me and my bros can still set up our tent in the hallway and keep on campin'

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's gonna be the Brutal Legend demo all over again and the rest of the game is just an airship simulator.

Duscae is the only open area they ever intended to make, the rest of the game is just corridors and cutscenes, with the crystarium and datalog to break the tedium.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Duscae is the only open area they ever intended to make, the rest of the game is just corridors and cutscenes, with the crystarium and datalog to break the tedium.

I would gladly prefer that, considering I enjoyed Duscae but having every quest required to turn in on the opposite side of the map every time was needlessly tedious.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

In a horrible act of spite, they finally bring back Doomtrain but the entire game takes place on him and you spend the whole thing literally on rails. Also you can't get a good angle on him.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

In a horrible act of spite, they finally bring back Doomtrain but the entire game takes place on him and you spend the whole thing literally on rails. Also you can't get a good angle on him.

A boss battle where your boys are driving away from doomtrain as you fight it would be extremely cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Golden Goat posted:

A boss battle where your boys are driving away from doomtrain as you fight it would be extremely cool.

It's probably harder to suplex a train from a car though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In Training posted:

I would gladly prefer that, considering I enjoyed Duscae but having every quest required to turn in on the opposite side of the map every time was needlessly tedious.

Was this complaint expressed by a lot of players?

I am okay with this sort of thing if we are talking about quests which advance the story or even decent side stories especially if turning in the quest involves a cut scene with the quest giver. However, if it is not that important then I prefer receiving the reward for completion as soon as the requirements are fulfilled. That or if interaction with the quest giver is appropriate but not important enough to add a cut scene then having that quest giver contact you via a radio or cell phone or something once the requirements are done is cool too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

It's probably harder to suplex a train from a car though.

Not with that attitude.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So my day of grinding is at an end. Fruits of my labor...

Everyone is Level 32-39 with Zidane being 39 and Quina 32. I loving hate the level disparity, it really bugs me. Even people on the same level have way different EXP so they won't be the same level for long. I tried keeping Zidane dead as much as possible but even with him being KO'ed and not having Level Up on, he kept gaining levels as I switched in and out the rest of my party. I just hate how uneven everything is. Everyone should be the same level, or at least only a level apart.

For abilities, Garnet, Eiko, Vivi and Quina all have Half MP. They all know Auto-Haste as well just in case. They've learned all the spells they can learn at this point. I'm not afraid of the Desert Palace boss at least because, looking at the damage Holy and Comet can do, I don't think it should take too long. For Misc. skills, I bought a Promist Ring from the Treno Auction. I got Restore HP for Zidane,Amarant and Freya and now I'm giving the Ring to Vivi for Magic Elem-Null. I have no idea what that does. Nullifies magic element? Does that mean magic attacks just plain won't hurt him? That seems a bit overpowered. But, again, no idea if that is what it actually does.

Zidane and Eiko both have Auto-Life, also just as a precaution.

I gave the White Robe to Eiko and Light Robe to Vivi because they both have less HP than Garnet. Eiko is Level 38 but I don't mind that because even at higher levels than pretty much everyone else, she has less of everything except MP.

Garnet is currently learning Odin off the Dark Matter I bought in Treno auction. IIRC, Dark Matter does amazing damage too. So if that holds true in the mod, I'll have that to fall back on as well. Oh and I also got a Reflect Ring, not from the auction, but from Synth. That would have had Auto-Reflect in the original game I guess but not anymore. Kind of a waste of money now since Eiko and Garnet already know Reflect and everyone else already knows Distract.

I have 80 Hi Potions, 60 Tents, 45 Ethers and 16 Elixirs. I think I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be.

The only question is, who should be the fourth person for my Oeilvert and Desert Palace teams? Should I just have Quina go with the rest of the mages? I got the Bistro Fork from Frog Catching and I have not been using his/her Blue Magic at all lately. I feel like sending Amarant with the Desert Palace team is a good idea because he has high HP and I can rely on him to do damage without using up MP. I got plenty of Pinwheels and even some Rising Suns/Wing Edges from Chocobo Treasures.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm just really kind of anxious at this part because if I gently caress it up, I'm just flatout screwed. I'd have to start all over again before the entire sequence and it all takes a rather long time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You can kinda fake Oelivert--at least, barring Ark--because iirc the only enemy there is that statue thing that dies if you use a Soft on it. I'd bring Quina to the Desert Palace just to see what abilities s/he can get from eating the monsters there. Maybe they rebalanced the area so the enemies are all vulnerable to Lv3 Def-Less? I'd suggest auto-reflecting the hell out of that area if you can, though; it's full of caster enemies, but their dirty secret is that they actually have astronomical strength values and if you try to inflict Berserk or Silence on them, they'll pretty much one-shot everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's a good idea. Garnet will be there too so I can use Scan to find out if enemies are vulnerable to Quina's Level-based skills. Not only Lvl 3 Def-less but also Lvl 5 Death to. (I just learned it from the Dracozombie at Iifa Tree,which was my grinding spot)

Speaking of which I know I've read about how you can gain crazy levels by using that on Grand Dragons or something? In the mod, the only Grand Dragon I've run into was Level 62. I was just curious to see if modder removed that exploit and he did.

But yeah, Oeilvert I recall being very easy. It was just the Desert Palace I was nervous about. Thanks for the advice.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 14, 2015