Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bookerly is too thin and leads to fewer words per page than Caecilia. I'm incredibly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I wish there was a way to add custom fonts to a non-jailbroken Kindle. I don't love any of the default options, including Bookerly, and incorporating my own custom font into each file is time-consuming and annoying.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Some of the books with 'enhanced typesetting' don't have all the good stuff it's supposed to have upon re-downloading: hyphenation, etc. Others do. That can probably be chalked up to lazy publishers, but man if it isn't bothersome.

The font is fine.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 12, 2015

smr
Dec 18, 2002

How does word density matter on an e-reader? Bookerly is fantastic. Caecillia looks like baby's first attempt at block-printing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gotta love being able to drag and drop fonts into a Kobo. FF Franziska for life

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smr posted:

How does word density matter on an e-reader? Bookerly is fantastic. Caecillia looks like baby's first attempt at block-printing.

Some of us don't like to have 5 words on a page like we're Grandma Mindy

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is there any way to get Bookerly onto a first gen Paperwhite?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is there a reason why some kindle version books have terrible translation into electronic form? I'm trying to read Heinleins "Stranger in a Strange Land" and it has typos galore. Im wondering if its the same in the store kindle version or the janky version I have.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bob A Feet posted:

Is there a reason why some kindle version books have terrible translation into electronic form? I'm trying to read Heinleins "Stranger in a Strange Land" and it has typos galore. Im wondering if its the same in the store kindle version or the janky version I have.

If you're saying you pirated it then yeah the dude who did it probably just did a quick OCR job on it with only minor skimming for major errors. Go get a different version, it'll probably be better.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Some of us don't like to have 5 words on a page like we're Grandma Mindy

I use the second-smallest font size on both my Voyager and the Kindle app on my iPad Air and I think Bookerly looks significantly better on both. Both fonts provide tons of words per page at that size. Is his REALLY a problem for some people? Sheesh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yes, it is a big issue to many people because half the reason we got ereaders is so we could have books customized to our font/line density/margin/etc preferences.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Indeed, the hyperbole is strong with these goons..

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, it is a big issue to many people because half the reason we got ereaders is so we could have books customized to our font/line density/margin/etc preferences.

So a font that literally shows four less words out of four hundred on a "screen" than a different font that looks much more terrible otherwise is an actual issue to you?

If so, you probably never should have bought a kindle in the first place then because they never promised infinite adjustability.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smr posted:

So a font that literally shows four less words out of four hundred on a "screen" than a different font that looks much more terrible otherwise is an actual issue to you?

If so, you probably never should have bought a kindle in the first place then because they never promised infinite adjustability.

It's an issue in that I'm disappointed the font looks kinda decent but I can't really use it. You'd consider it an issue if you hosed up cooking dinner wouldn't you? And it's way more than just 4 words a page on my settings.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Should this update be available in the UK yet?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Odette posted:

Is there any way to get Bookerly onto a first gen Paperwhite?

The new update might go to the Pw1 but there seems to be no official word either way.
Currently, you can use Calibre and set the publisher / embed font as Bookerly. Google around for the font ZIP, it's not hard to find but is maybe :filez: so..

You need the 4 font files.

I've done this with the last 20-30 books I've sideloaded and it works very well; you just set your font to be the publisher font.

The font itself looks a little pointless if you stare at it, but try reading with it and it feels a lot smoother, like your eyes do less work to follow the words.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's an issue in that I'm disappointed the font looks kinda decent but I can't really use it. You'd consider it an issue if you hosed up cooking dinner wouldn't you? And it's way more than just 4 words a page on my settings.

I'm just not seeing the huge disparity in words-per-page at the second-smallest font setting on either Kindle App or Kindle Voyager. What settings are you using? Are you using Caecillia or Caecillia Narrow?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smr posted:

I'm just not seeing the huge disparity in words-per-page at the second-smallest font setting on either Kindle App or Kindle Voyager. What settings are you using? Are you using Caecillia or Caecillia Narrow?

That's nice for you, here's how it is for me:

There ends up being 2 sentences missing a page, between Bookerly and Cacellia Condensed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This can't really be a thing people care about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You are arguing with Fishmech.

Stop engaging Fishmech.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Stop engaging Fishmech.

Quit your whining.

noirstronaut posted:

This can't really be a thing people care about.

Why would people not care what their books look like? It's one of the points of the Kindle that you can customize it 50 different ways.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

There ends up being 2 sentences missing a page, between Bookerly and Cacellia Condensed.

I hope you find the 2 missing sentences soon :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The two missing sentences can be found at the top of the following page.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
To be fair some people do get overly excited about what Hitler did with his right hand.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
Bookerly really is much easier on the eyes, so thanks for proving that.

Is the font only available on mobile and Voyager (without Calibri, that is)?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Comparing it to a condensed font is a bit disingenuous though, as most people find reading such a font to be a strain.

Your top example exceeds 70 characters per line and readability studies suggest 50-60 being of significant benefit. You may have adapted to this, but to the majority of people they will find the second much easier on the eyes. This is a definite perceptual difference to most people - I severely doubt many would perceive having to make 33 page turns to get to the chapter end instead of 31.

Bookerly is a lovely font if you're not a weirdo.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If anything, Caecelia condensed is an even uglier version of an already ugly font, but the point is people should be able to use it if they want. Taking away customization options for a device that's marketed as letting you read the way you want to read is stupid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

saphron posted:

Bookerly really is much easier on the eyes, so thanks for proving that.

Is the font only available on mobile and Voyager (without Calibri, that is)?

Nah. I upgraded my newest get paperwhite and it's on there.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

My bad, you're correct, I'll go burn my Voyager right now.

Aside: man, Cacellia Condensed looks like hosed rear end next to Bookerly.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Stop engaging Fishmech.

Ahhhhh gently caress. This explains much.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bookerly owns objectively.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is the Voyage refresh expected to land later this year? My Kindle Touch from 2011 (amazing that it's lasted this long tbh) is still trucking along, and the only scratches are on the case, but I'd like something newer with a backlight. I was debating between a Paperwhite 2015 (with the updated resolution) and Voyage, but I can hold out if there's something else coming, my current eReader isn't going anywhere soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I honestly can't see where there's much to refresh on the voyage at this time. I don't think a higher DPI eInk screen has been released yet. I would expect the product cycle to stretch longer with this iteration. The only reaason why the Paperwhite was refreshed this year was to use the screen in the Voyage

The book I'm currently reading must have fixed fonts because I can't change to Bookerly to try it out.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

epub support

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Dominoes posted:

epub support

Sure. And off-device collection management, and sideloaded fonts.

Are we making a list of features that will never be added to the Kindle?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
EPUB support wouldn't require a hardware refresh in the least, seeing as how AZW3 is just a modified EPUB format.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah. I upgraded my newest get paperwhite and it's on there.

Oh snap, will have to check tonight then, thanks!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

EPUB support wouldn't require a hardware refresh in the least, seeing as how AZW3 is just a modified EPUB format.

It _would_, however, require Amazon to be a completely different company than it has been since it was founded.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I want a higher contrast screen, I want blacks as deep as the darkest hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Khablam posted:

The new update might go to the Pw1 but there seems to be no official word either way.
Currently, you can use Calibre and set the publisher / embed font as Bookerly. Google around for the font ZIP, it's not hard to find but is maybe :filez: so..

You need the 4 font files.

I've done this with the last 20-30 books I've sideloaded and it works very well; you just set your font to be the publisher font.

The font itself looks a little pointless if you stare at it, but try reading with it and it feels a lot smoother, like your eyes do less work to follow the words.

How does one embed fonts like that?