Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but what if, say........... you lived on an island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

universal service for broadband internet now.

*broadband defined as 1Mbps

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

*broadband defined as 1Mbps

25/3 according to the FCC.

but even an initial requirement of an always on 512/128kbps connection would be a giant leap for massive swaths of the country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

25/3 according to the FCC.

but even an initial requirement of an always on 512/128kbps connection would be a giant leap for massive swaths of the country.

something like 80% of the country (or population?) already has access to 10Mbit iirc

we're actually one of the highest countries in that regard

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

computer parts posted:

something like 80% of the country (or population?) already has access to 10Mbit iirc

coincidentally, 80% of americans live in urban areas

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

coffeetable posted:

coincidentally, 80% of americans live in urban areas

and yet many don't use it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
farmr: timeshare your fields!

edit: also sharecroppr to pick the produce!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah actually uber and airbnb are about 2 get teh poo poo kicked out of them in court so the vc shitbird swarm is probably going to move on to some other dumb thing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FCKGW posted:

here's an actual picture I found

doesn't quite show the awesomeness of it

we're building a real city hall next year though

holy poo poo are you for real what is the city????

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

futrure sound of london - ISDN

is good, but lifeforms is even better imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
omg it is eastvale you cant even see it from google streetview because the applebees is in the way

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

city council meeting

http://www.eastvaleca.gov/index.aspx?page=44

apparently damascus, oregon also has their city hall in a strip mall

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 13, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

somebody register stripmallcityhalls.com, these need to be catalogued

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

we're actually one of the highest countries in that regard

you misremember, near 100% of "urban" (cities and suburbs) have access to that and that's 81% of the population and then about 80% of rural population has access as well.

so it's like 95% of the population has it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

kwinkles posted:

omg it is eastvale you cant even see it from google streetview because the applebees is in the way

nestled in the middle of applebees and a chipotle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phoenixan posted:

nestled in the middle of applebees and a chipotle
america gently caress yeah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zen99, a San Francisco startup that provides tax, financial-management and insurance tools for freelancers, will shut down Aug. 25.
“Unfortunately, we’ve made the hard decision to close the doors on Zen99 and return remaining capital to investors,” CEO and co-founder Tristan Zier wrote in a post on Medium.
Zen99 received $2.6 million in total funding, according to Crunchbase. Backers included startup accelerator Y Combinator, where it was incubated a year ago.
The company aimed for the surging market of independent contractors, who now account for a third of the U.S. workforce, and are projected to hit 40 percent by 2020. It took its name from the 1099 tax form used to pay such workers.
While its services were free, Zen99 made money as an insurance broker, collecting a commission when users bought a product through its website.
As a CPA, Zier saw the need to help freelancers, he said in an inteview last year. The company reached out to the growing workforce of on-demand workers such as Uber drivers and TaskRabbit taskers, but also served “traditional” freelancers, such as Pilates instructors, he said.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qirex posted:

but also served “traditional” freelancers, such as Pilates instructors,
san_francisco.txt

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
a business plan that takes "uber drivers with extra money to spend" as a given

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

coffeetable posted:

san_francisco.txt

all you kooky californains with your exercise

san_francisco.txt is being a weed yoga instructor

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm really surprised no one has posted about zirtual in this thread. they are (were) a virtual assistant company, employing 4-500 real people as assistants, and they even paid them as real employees, not 1099 contractors! on monday, just after doing a podcast and bragging about their $11 million revenue, with investor jason calacanis talking them up as the next uber, they promptly imploded and laid off all their assistants with no warning: http://www.businessinsider.com/zirtual-suddenly-laid-off-400-employees-via-email-2015-8

they tried to spin this as "pausing" their operations: http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/10/zirtual-pause/

but someone posted the letter that was actually sent to employees: http://www.brandoneley.com/zirtual-shut-its-doors-what-does-this-mean-for-outsourcing/

quote:

Q: What is happening?
A: Zirtual is shutting down all operations.

Q: When is this happening?
A: Effective immediately.

Q: Why is this happening?
A: Due to financial reasons, we have to cease operations immediately.

so they ran out of money. investor jason was apparently unaware: https://twitter.com/Jason/status/630784204964433920

after a day of complete silence, zirtual ceo maren made this awful, out-of-touch medium post, explaining absolutely nothing about HOW they managed to burn through all their cash so quickly and without warning, but explaining that she found a last-minute buyer for the company (after firing everyone, of course): https://medium.com/@marenkate/zirtual-what-happened-and-what-s-next-f9bd493ecc49

due especially to her use of the phrase "I cry like someone whose child has been ripped from her arms", this post did not go over well: https://medium.com/@vegalightsmyway/to-maren-and-the-rest-of-the-zirtual-management-team-14878f0649bf

this morning, maren finally confirmed to fortune the rumor that she had outsourced money management to an external firm, and she is claiming this firm hosed up the numbers: http://fortune.com/2015/08/13/zirtual-maren-kate-donovan-2/

while maren didn't name the firm, they evidently disagree, enough to give their OWN interview to fortune just this afternoon: http://fortune.com/2015/08/13/zirtuals-outsourced-cfo-gives-his-side-of-the-shutdown-story/

the incompetence is palpable

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

qirex posted:

the surging market of independent contractors, who now account for a third of the U.S. workforce, and are projected to hit 40 percent by 2020.

so by 2020 half of all americans will be unemployed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah and you're going to point that dish where exactly

if you're somewhere that ain't even got cable, there probably ain't going to be a decent fixed wireless provider.

same CO you're pulling those bonded ISDN lines from

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like don't get me wrong i'm sure there's places where your option would be ISDN, 56k over POTS, or satellite, and the local provider would just go "huh?" at the mention of wireless or microwave

but it seems to me like both potential customer and local provider would get more out of a wireless setup than stringing cables and loving around with ISDN bonding

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

same CO you're pulling those bonded ISDN lines from

the kinds of places i'm thinking of, you ain't gonna get line of sight to the CO unless someone's building towers, and maybe even some relays.

and if you're rich enough to pay for that kind of infrastructure you can probably pay for a fiber line to be brought out instead of bonding some ISDN too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

qirex posted:

Zen99, a San Francisco startup that provides tax, financial-management and insurance tools for freelancers, will shut down Aug. 25.
“Unfortunately, we’ve made the hard decision to close the doors on Zen99 and return remaining capital to investors,” CEO and co-founder Tristan Zier wrote in a post on Medium.
Zen99 received $2.6 million in total funding, according to Crunchbase. Backers included startup accelerator Y Combinator, where it was incubated a year ago.
The company aimed for the surging market of independent contractors, who now account for a third of the U.S. workforce, and are projected to hit 40 percent by 2020. It took its name from the 1099 tax form used to pay such workers.
While its services were free, Zen99 made money as an insurance broker, collecting a commission when users bought a product through its website.
As a CPA, Zier saw the need to help freelancers, he said in an inteview last year. The company reached out to the growing workforce of on-demand workers such as Uber drivers and TaskRabbit taskers, but also served “traditional” freelancers, such as Pilates instructors, he said.

lol, didn't this guy get the memo? disruption is about ignoring every law you can find. a firm dedicated to helping these people follow the law was doomed to failure

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm really surprised no one has posted about zirtual in this thread. they are (were) a virtual assistant company, employing 4-500 real people as assistants, and they even paid them as real employees, not 1099 contractors! on monday, just after doing a podcast and bragging about their $11 million revenue, with investor jason calacanis talking them up as the next uber, they promptly imploded and laid off all their assistants with no warning: http://www.businessinsider.com/zirtual-suddenly-laid-off-400-employees-via-email-2015-8

they tried to spin this as "pausing" their operations: http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/10/zirtual-pause/

but someone posted the letter that was actually sent to employees: http://www.brandoneley.com/zirtual-shut-its-doors-what-does-this-mean-for-outsourcing/

so they ran out of money. investor jason was apparently unaware: https://twitter.com/Jason/status/630784204964433920

after a day of complete silence, zirtual ceo maren made this awful, out-of-touch medium post, explaining absolutely nothing about HOW they managed to burn through all their cash so quickly and without warning, but explaining that she found a last-minute buyer for the company (after firing everyone, of course): https://medium.com/@marenkate/zirtual-what-happened-and-what-s-next-f9bd493ecc49

due especially to her use of the phrase "I cry like someone whose child has been ripped from her arms", this post did not go over well: https://medium.com/@vegalightsmyway/to-maren-and-the-rest-of-the-zirtual-management-team-14878f0649bf

this morning, maren finally confirmed to fortune the rumor that she had outsourced money management to an external firm, and she is claiming this firm hosed up the numbers: http://fortune.com/2015/08/13/zirtual-maren-kate-donovan-2/

while maren didn't name the firm, they evidently disagree, enough to give their OWN interview to fortune just this afternoon: http://fortune.com/2015/08/13/zirtuals-outsourced-cfo-gives-his-side-of-the-shutdown-story/

the incompetence is palpable

quote:

First, Donovan chose to transition the company’s employees over from independent contractors (i.e., the Uber model) to fulltime employees (complete with benefits). At the same time, however, she continued to insist that each of the virtual assistants — or ZAs, as Zirtual called them — be U.S.-based and college-educated, so as to provide a superior service to clients.

“In hindsight it was a much bigger change financially than was originally anticipated,” Keating explains. “Maren had all the right intentions, but it really cut into margins and the benefits meant that we could only pay the ZAs $11 or $12 per hour. That created a huge amount of turnover among a U.S.-based, college-educated employee base, with lots of people dropping out even during the training program. And what that meant was that Zirtual had to project hiring 20-30% more people than it actually needed, so that it wouldn’t be caught short-staffed.

lovin this new economy where a college degree is worth $23k a year

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

you misremember, near 100% of "urban" (cities and suburbs) have access to that and that's 81% of the population and then about 80% of rural population has access as well.

so it's like 95% of the population has it

does that include satellite and 4g cellular like verizon?

imo anything but wired, fiber, or a dedicated WISP using wimax or the like shouldn't count.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

To Keating, the real culprit here might have been a business model that no longer made sense. First, Donovan chose to transition the company’s employees over from independent contractors (i.e., the Uber model) to fulltime employees (complete with benefits). At the same time, however, she continued to insist that each of the virtual assistants — or ZAs, as Zirtual called them — be U.S.-based and college-educated, so as to provide a superior service to clients.

“In hindsight it was a much bigger change financially than was originally anticipated,” Keating explains. “Maren had all the right intentions, but it really cut into margins and the benefits meant that we could only pay the ZAs $11 or $12 per hour. That created a huge amount of turnover among a U.S.-based, college-educated employee base, with lots of people dropping out even during the training program. And what that meant was that Zirtual had to project hiring 20-30% more people than it actually needed, so that it wouldn’t be caught short-staffed.
this idea that somehow you'll get butler-for-a-billionaire experience at mass market prices is so ridiculous

there's a reason even upper east side richies have foreign au pairs

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

does that include satellite and 4g cellular like verizon?

imo anything but wired, fiber, or a dedicated WISP using wimax or the like shouldn't count.

it's wireline and fixed wireless, but its not a measurement of "are they actually paying for it" but "could you get it, as a residential customer". for obvious reasons there's tons of people out there doing poo poo like paying for 3 megabit dsl despite cable being available etc

if you count poo poo like satellite and cellular then rural is also near-100%, which is why they don't count 'em

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

nah actually uber and airbnb are about 2 get teh poo poo kicked out of them in court so the vc shitbird swarm is probably going to move on to some other dumb thing

lol no

the legal system moves slow, especially when the defense is a very wealthy company that can afford an army of lawyers to delay the process

uber will lose eventually, but it'll take years and be appealed repeatedly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kwinkles posted:

the city is 5 years old in october. before it was just endless dairy farms in unincorporated riverside county. census data in 2000 was around 5k, 2010 was 52k.

do you like endless suburbs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

startup darling jet.com is carving its first customers names into their corporate wall. I ordered some diapers last week.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

jet's decent but their delivery times are a little slow

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

wow holy poo poo.

i know someone who jumped ship a month or so ago, i'm gonna have to text him.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FCKGW posted:

startup darling jet.com is carving its first customers names into their corporate wall. I ordered some diapers last week.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is WEEDLORD BONER HITLER, king of kings:
Look on my startup, ye Mighty, and despair!'

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

wow holy poo poo.

i know someone who jumped ship a month or so ago, i'm gonna have to text him.

do you know one of the remote ZAs or an employee in their actual office? i'm curious to hear what's happening to the non-ZA employees, whether they were all immediately terminated as well or what

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

triple sulk posted:

jet's decent but their delivery times are a little slow

actually, the jets are very bad

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was reading about zirtual but I was under the impression no one was fired. the articles said that the company ran out of money but then was saved at the last minute because startups.co bought them. why am I not surprised that the "saving" only referred to c level personnel.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

actually, the jets are very bad

• Locked thread