Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Huh, they're saying Note 5 and the S6 Edge+ both have quick wireless charging--2 hours to full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
August 21 release date for the Note 5.

But don't buy a Samsung.

Hardware keyboard chat trigger warning:

It has a hardware keyboard accessory available.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 13, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Samsung had the samsung reps bringing by demoes of these devices over the past two weeks, so I got to already see them.

Things I would say:
Samsung did a really smart thing with the S Pen, and now you have to click to remove and put it back in. Really nice.

The Samsung rep showed me a bunch of software things I don't remember

They look extremely similar to the current S6 and Edge, but they are surprisingly not that big.

Anyway that's my story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I was hoping for a Turbo-sized battery, but in lieu of that I suspect the make-or-break will be how fast the fast wireless charging works since I've got charging pads all over now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ruby idiot railed posted:

I was hoping for a Turbo-sized battery, but in lieu of that I suspect the make-or-break will be how fast the fast wireless charging works since I've got charging pads all over now.

It's been ten months since the Turbo launched, how on earth can the Note 5 (with its size) not have a battery as big as a turbo? It's absurd.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Something tells me the current Qi charging pads won't work with the new wireless fast charge feature. If not, plan on re-buying new ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mastershakeman posted:

It's been ten months since the Turbo launched, how on earth can the Note 5 (with its size) not have a battery as big as a turbo? It's absurd.

Thinness.

Also, the newer SoCs are more efficient than the 805 on its 28nm process. Samsung's 14nm FinFet process is pretty much the best in the mobile SoC industry.

And, at least for me, the Turbo is overkill territory. I put it on charge at the end of the day every day at 65-70% left. So, that's why I'm not worried about the Moto X. Even if I did get close, quick charging would solve that completely.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 13, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

hotsauce posted:

Something tells me the current Qi charging pads won't work with the new wireless fast charge feature. If not, plan on re-buying new ones.

With the new Qi spec they're saying it's backwards compatible as if it's really only a matter with the receiver portion on the phone? I don't know. Needs more details, including if the new wireless fast charging is the new Qi spec.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With the new Qi spec they're saying it's backwards compatible as if it's really only a matter with the receiver portion on the phone? I don't know. Needs more details, including if the new wireless fast charging is the new Qi spec.

I'm assuming backward comparability is that it will still work at the old charging rate not that the old charging equipment will be able to jump to the new rates.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Droid-Life is saying yeah Samsung's shipping new fast-charging pads. Oh well, that means I'll wait for compatible pads in car docks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, while quick charging is amazing and really good at what it does, it's also not something I see the need to have in EVERY charger you own.

At least for me, if I'm going to be using a car dock, I'm probably in for a long drive. In that case, a normal 2A charger is more than sufficient to keep the phone topped off while using it.

If I need Quick Charge in my car, it's going to be more of a use case of "Oh poo poo, I forgot to charge my phone last night and I'm going out for the day. Stuffing a ton of charge in the phone for 20 minutes while I drive is going to save my rear end."

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think charging faster is a good thing, with literally 0 downsides

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hace posted:

I think charging faster is a good thing, with literally 0 downsides

Well, there is a downside. Replacement of existing stable of chargers. I already have a set of high quality nicely featured car chargers as well as a good quality 5 port charging station for the home. There's both a cost and compromise downside there (for example, I can't just simply replace my existing car chargers with a QC 2.0 version since one isn't made yet.)

As they age and potentially break, I would swap them out with QC versions, but I'm not going to just change everything over at once.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

Well, there is a downside. Replacement of existing stable of chargers. I already have a set of high quality nicely featured car chargers as well as a good quality 5 port charging station for the home. There's both a cost and compromise downside there (for example, I can't just simply replace my existing car chargers with a QC 2.0 version since one isn't made yet.)

As they age and potentially break, I would swap them out with QC versions, but I'm not going to just change everything over at once.
Yeah but you should still be able to use those chargers, they just won't charge as fast as updated ones will.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Does the note 5 really not have a SD slot? I was holding off upgrading my venerable note 2. The battery issue seems dumb (who buys a note for thinness) but I could cope. No SD is a dealkiller. I guess I either get the 4 or eschew the pen and get a different brand of hugeassphone? Apologies if I'm veering into "recommend me a" territory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

Yeah but you should still be able to use those chargers, they just won't charge as fast as updated ones will.

Right, absolutely. i'm all for every device including QC, I'm just saying you eventually hit diminishing returns when it comes to it. That's why i'm not too excited over wireless QC. I just don't see the need to replace my existing investment of wireless chargers since how I'm using wireless charging is a use case that wouldn't benefit from faster charging.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hotsauce posted:

No they are forward compatible here. It's on the phone side that it needs to have the feature.

Whoops this is being discussed. Here's the source I'm using: http://www.androidcentral.com/your-qi-charger-will-soon-support-15w-fast-charging

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like the new Note 5 all be around $720. The $399 MotoX and $220 MotoG are looking much more appealing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will be really interesting to see Samsung react to market realignment in 2016. The demand just isn't there for $700 devices anymore, especially since carrier subsidies are pretty much gone across the board.

Unfortunately for them, the Galaxy S7 may be too far along in its development at this point to change course towards a lower cost device.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like the new Note 5 all be around $720.
:lol: good luck with that, Samsung.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Good news: the patch that Google released didn't really fix the stagefright exploit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Amazing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Has anyone actually figured out a way of using it yet, or is it just a crash still?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like the new Note 5 all be around $720. The $399 MotoX and $220 MotoG are looking much more appealing.
drat. That's bad even for Samsung.
The un-subsidized Moto phones cheaper than the Samsung would have been on contract.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Does the new Moto G still have an FM radio?

Old post but yes, it does. Works very well, too.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Its ok, the android security platform is solid! You can't hit every single phone if there are 4,000 distinct handsets!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

incoherent posted:

Its ok, the android security platform is solid! You can't hit every single phone if there are 4,000 distinct handsets!

Thank GOD the Galaxy S2 is safe, I was really worried there

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else get random SMS' (using Messenger on a Nexus 5) that say "Random name sent you you a photo, click here to see it "random website link that usually has something facebook related in it"? Is this a whole new age of spam or is it some new legit feature from some app I have installed?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

Thinness.

Also, the newer SoCs are more efficient than the 805 on its 28nm process. Samsung's 14nm FinFet process is pretty much the best in the mobile SoC industry.

And, at least for me, the Turbo is overkill territory. I put it on charge at the end of the day every day at 65-70% left. So, that's why I'm not worried about the Moto X. Even if I did get close, quick charging would solve that completely.

It's all about usage patterns. I don't often have access to a charger during the workday, and I can drain the battery to 0 before getting home . It's under 5 hours of screen time on usually to do that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Love the ending image of "mission accomplished android". What's going on over there Alphabet/Google/Whatever?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Love the ending image of "mission accomplished android". What's going on over there Alphabet/Google/Whatever?

To be fair, this isn't exactly unheard of in security patches.

Software is hard, secure software is harder, quickly patching secure software is even harder.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

They should look at the dif in the new OTA to see what was changed. I certainly downloaded some update. Was it just //TODO FIX STAGEFRIGHT VULNERABILITY ?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

They should look at the dif in the new OTA to see what was changed. I certainly downloaded some update. Was it just //TODO FIX STAGEFRIGHT VULNERABILITY ?
If you read the article you'd know. The original patch that Google accepted didn't actually fix the issue correctly, yet Google pushed it (and continues to push it).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

To be fair, this isn't exactly unheard of in security patches.

Software is hard, secure software is harder, quickly patching secure software is even harder.

I could give them a break if it was a quickly patched issue, but they were notified of it months ago. Saying "it's hard" is a lame excuse. They pushed out a patch that said "hey look we addressed this vulnerability!" when it didn't .. they shouldn't get pass on crap like that.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I could give them a break if it was a quickly patched issue, but they were notified of it months ago. Saying "it's hard" is a lame excuse. They pushed out a patch that said "hey look we addressed this vulnerability!" when it didn't .. they shouldn't get pass on crap like that.

It's the thought that counts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't give them a pass either, but that doesn't mean they've done some rare gently caress up.

It happens all of the time to different companies.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Should I get an S6 Edge+ next week? Or is TouchWiz/Samsung still total garbage? Thank you

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nostrum posted:

Should I get an S6 Edge+ next week? Or is TouchWiz/Samsung still total garbage? Thank you

Is money an object? If it's not go for it, if it is the Moto X/G are a better bet.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nostrum posted:

is TouchWiz/Samsung still total garbage?

TouchWiz is tolerable now, but Samsung still gonna Samsung, and for that matter at some point any manufacturer will drop support - and not necessarily well after the phone's become intolerable on merit like an iPhone or something - and you don't want to be left holding the bag.

Hold out for a Nexus or at least some other dev edition phone like a Moto Pure or something, if you can.

EDIT: Left-field opinion: iOS 9 is supposed to have a webview ad-block feature. If you can swing an iPhone and you don't have a lot of investment in Android-as-ecosystem it's not a terrible idea, especially if you're willing to spend Samsung dollars.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Touchwiz hasn't changed much at all since at least the S3 (my first Samsung). They always say it has but it hasn't.

Samsung hardware is top notch though. I love my N6 but wish I could get a GPE Note 5.