Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

I asked before but if there was an answer I didn't see it. Has the AoE rotation for BLM changed since the expansion? Last I played BLM, 'round 2.5, it was F3->F2 until near empty->Flare->Convert->Swiftcast->Flare->Transpose->B3 to open, then F3->F2 until OOM->Flare->Transpose->B3->repeat until the pack was dead or there were 2 targets left.

(ed) I'm only 54. Does it change to wanting to keep Enochian up once I get to 58, by (I guess) throwing a B4 in there somewhere?

No he figured out the secrets! Make sure you go read this thread for spreadsheets that we compared blm openers that work and complete non-sense.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What? I thought that was all about single target. Guess I should go look again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just cry as you cast f2 while summoners burn the world.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SirPhoebos posted:

During one HLDF, about half-way through the instance someone asked if I was a bot. I told him I wasn't, which lead them to ask why I didn't have Shield Oath toggled.

:doh: I've been careful to check that I have it up since.

I've sometimes forgotten to turn off Cleric Stance. :shobon:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I've sometimes forgotten to turn off Cleric Stance. :shobon:

This is a thing that will plague you forever.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

BattleCake posted:

We're at 4/8 so far! Posting one more time, looking for DPS and Healers.

Hey do you still have room for a DPS? I would love to get my coil clear (and help others). I'm a 60 BLM around i147 right now I think. Hopefully I can join yall or at least maybe be a backup if you are full. My in game name is Cube Eightynine.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As a WHM I switch in and out of Cleric Stance constantly in dungeons since whenever I'm not healing I'm DPSing, fortunately I've managed to avoid catastrophe so far although I've messed up a few times. Good thing White Mages have more than one emergency heal nowadays.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tenzarin posted:

Just cry as you cast f2 while summoners burn the world.

I played SMN again briefly last night and while they might be better right now, and while Death/Painflare might be awesome, that doesn't make up for DoTs and pets being lame and poopy so I'll stick to hitting F2 and crying :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

During an S-Rank today, I learned that guildwork was down and I got an earful from a pubbie when I mentioned my dislike for guildwork.

He's in PBC fyi.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

KaneTW posted:

He's in PBC fyi.

no he's not, he's back in LMXVN

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

This is a thing that will plague you forever.

You eventually get a really solid mental "feeling" for the flow of switching Cleric Stance on/off so that you don't even have to glance at the buff bar anymore. I think I screw up maybe once a month nowadays.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Vermain posted:

You eventually get a really solid mental "feeling" for the flow of switching Cleric Stance on/off so that you don't even have to glance at the buff bar anymore. I think I screw up maybe once a month nowadays.

Sure, but it'll happen and sometimes it'll be a really big deal. It's life.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you screw up toggling Cleric Stance, the Lord Jesus Christ emerges from the clouds in a chorus of angels and crepuscular rays and looks really sternly at you.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

KoB posted:

The worst is when all the other tanks are too wussy to pull and also refuse to drop tank stance.

The secret real best is going in as an Archer or something, no job stone, so you can cross-class Provoke.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
New 3.1 raid info, sounds cool as heck:

quote:

"A new 24-person raid, of the same size of The Crystal Tower, will be added in the 3.1 update. It's not like a normal raid. You use airships and you can visit floating islands and explore them once you land. Anyone can join in, so long as you don't exceed the 24-person limit.

From here.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As long as we can fly our airship to the bone-zone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The best is "turning off" cleric stance while it's still on cooldown during first pull.

Then being annoyed for the rest of the dungeon at my poo poo damage, and tank squishiness, only to notice I had it inverted the entire time :v:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Truga posted:

The best is "turning off" cleric stance while it's still on cooldown during first pull.

Then being annoyed for the rest of the dungeon at my poo poo damage, and tank squishiness, only to notice I had it inverted the entire time :v:

I've started leveling WHM again and I gently caress up cleric stance at least once per dungeon. Either it's on cooldown and I try to take it off, or I get hasty and try to queue up removing and tap the button twice, or I just plain forget my current stance and now the tank just lost half his hp better turn off (oops it was off now its on) cleric and start curing him and wondering why my cure 2's are doing jack :saddowns:

DRKs in SV in level 25 gear aren't helping my scrub skills either :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Getting used to cleric stance does take some time. Once you figure it out, though - you'll more or less have it to a science. Practice makes perfect, and a 5 second cooldown *usually* won't ruin you / your party. Now that I'm going away from healing and trying tanking, it's quite a difference to see it from the other side and see how terrible some people can be at it. The biggest mistake I usually make is healing in cleric stance, which is much worse than attacking without it on.

In general, is there a way to tell if someone is botting a dungeon? I only had one time where I was tanking, and the conjurer kept following me, would always cast heal when I hit 70%ish health, and never do a single attack.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The biggest issue I have with Cleric stance is that sometimes it's just sticky. IE I hit the button expecting it to go on/off and go into healing/damaging stuff and wondering why I'm doing badly at that. Turns out that no, Cleric Stance just didn't want to turn on/off that time.

It's the only toggle that seems that way for me though. Might be because it's usually 'oh lord this tank is taking lots of damage gotta heal gotta heal gotta heal why are my heals bad DANGIT CLERIC STANCE I CLICKED YOU OFF' is the main situation I notice the above.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

Getting used to cleric stance does take some time. Once you figure it out, though - you'll more or less have it to a science. Practice makes perfect, and a 5 second cooldown *usually* won't ruin you / your party. Now that I'm going away from healing and trying tanking, it's quite a difference to see it from the other side and see how terrible some people can be at it. The biggest mistake I usually make is healing in cleric stance, which is much worse than attacking without it on.

In general, is there a way to tell if someone is botting a dungeon? I only had one time where I was tanking, and the conjurer kept following me, would always cast heal when I hit 70%ish health, and never do a single attack.

No bot can do a dungeon. The only bots are in a group of 4 blm teleporting above bosses insta casting flare.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

No bot can do a dungeon. The only bots are in a group of 4 blm teleporting above bosses insta casting flare.

Hopefully not serious. There's dungeon bots everywhere.

You can usually tell bots because they will sometimes only move as far the furthest other player. PLD bots will commonly only use flash and fast/riot fast/riot over and over.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bots often can't figure out the teleports in dungeons like darkhold either.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bots also tend to move in very specific, easy-to-detect ways. They almost always follow a fixed pattern (generally moving in a semi-circle in combat repeatedly for seemingly no reason), will occasionally spend several seconds doing pathfinding calculations, stop very suddenly and jarringly, etc.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Iron Tusk posted:

You can usually tell bots because they will sometimes only move as far the furthest other player. PLD bots will commonly only use flash and fast/riot fast/riot over and over.

Some bots will also just follow a set path and pull mobs and get killed regardless of whether or not the tank is moving. I had two bot archers in tam-tara once who just kept running forward and pulling until we kicked them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Niton posted:

From here.

Sounds terrible to anyone in small FC that cant afford the few remaining lots left to buy a house then build a house then build an airship.

I guess Ill never get to see this content.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't worry, small FCs and/or non FC-havers will be able to do the raid, it's just that in the airship cutscenes they'll be riding the equivalent of a '71 Ford Pinto.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

24 people flying up to the island by grasping onto a series of rapidly-flapping Enkidus.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Iron Tusk posted:

Yeah I had a PLD bot in Qarn one time that would use flash exactly once and then the riot blade combo over and over again. Needless to say it did not survive the first boss. It took a couple of tries to kick him, the other DPS kept asking how he was cheating and I had to explain the concept of bots.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

man you're wrong about just about everything ffxiv related, aren't you

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

24 people flying up to the island by grasping onto a series of rapidly-flapping Enkidus.

It's OK, they can just do the new Hildibrand quest for 3.1 to unlock Bradamante as a personal mount and fly that to the raid.

The next trick will be leaving the instance on the airship before the ninja gets back to it, causing him to be dead for the rest of the 3.x cycle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KoB posted:

Sounds terrible to anyone in small FC that cant afford the few remaining lots left to buy a house then build a house then build an airship.

Yoshi has in previous interviews talked about airship ventures saying that FCless players would be able to sign on to airship expeditions as a mercenary. This is most likely what he was referring to

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm always really happy to see the Alc red scrip item gold starred for me on the beginning of reset.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KoB posted:

It doesn't say that it uses the FC airship and they have been generally making sure that people see more of the content. I think your fear might be unfounded.

KoB
May 1, 2009

jim truds posted:

It doesn't say that it uses the FC airship and they have been generally making sure that people see more of the content. I think your fear might be unfounded.

Im sure Ill fly my personal airship all the way to where the TP bar and addons live.

This post is mostly a joke.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

jim truds posted:

Alternatively Yoship One has room for all goons.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kharaa posted:

man you're wrong about just about everything ffxiv related, aren't you

It's not just ffxiv, he's posting some hilarious poo poo in election erection

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Niton posted:

From here.
I don't really understand what's being said here. It's a 24 player raid, but anyone can join as long as they don't exceed the 24 player limit? Does that mean it won't be tuned for 24 players?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

vanbags posted:

I don't really understand what's being said here. It's a 24 player raid, but anyone can join as long as they don't exceed the 24 player limit? Does that mean it won't be tuned for 24 players?

Presumably there will be some kind of dynamic scaling based off the number of players in it.

They're clearly trying to avoid the problem the Crystal Tower questline has where you have to wait forever in the Duty Finder for 24 people by letting you do it with undersized parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vanbags posted:

My take is that there is no enforced party composition, as long as the final party size is 24. Which would sure be... interesting.

E: actually, building it with undersize parties in mind makes more sense. :v:

• Locked thread