Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The first one's a Cattle Egret. The second one is some sort of African hornbill, I think. Nice shots.

We finally had a clear day on Humboldt Bay, so I went out to see all the young raptors in the Fay Slough Wildlife Area.

White-tailed Kite with a vole:

kite-with-vole by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk:

rsh-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk:

rth-juvi-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Male Northern Harrier:

male-harrier-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Black Phoebe feeding its young:

phoebe-snack by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just picked up a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L, so naturally I've been blowing it up on every bird I see.

Fledgling barn swallow getting its mouth stuffed at the feeding station. There are dozens of these hanging around on this line all day, from early morning to early evening. My area has been in a drought for the last few years, and with all the rain we've had this season, many of the insect-eating birds have pumped out two consecutive batches of chicks. There's just so much food available.

swallow 1

swallow 2

At first I thought this was a juvenile Little blue heron, especially since I've seen some adults around the same area, but it has a slight tint of orange on it's back (not visible here). Because of that I don't really see how it could be anything but a Cattle egret...?

immature cattle egret - landing

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Female Yellowthroat by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Male Yellowthroat by Justin Cook, on Flickr

I can't decide if this is a female or a juvenile yellowthroat.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Just picked up a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L, so naturally I've been blowing it up on every bird I see.

Fledgling barn swallow getting its mouth stuffed at the feeding station. There are dozens of these hanging around on this line all day, from early morning to early evening. My area has been in a drought for the last few years, and with all the rain we've had this season, many of the insect-eating birds have pumped out two consecutive batches of chicks. There's just so much food available.

swallow 1

Nice shot, I really like this one :) Also that is a swell lens. Enjoy!

Processing a backlog of photos from the winter and spring. Sorry for the high-ISO images

Redpoll by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Best photo I could get during the few days that the Redpolls were in my area. Wish they would have stuck around longer, but the irruption moved on pretty quickly.

Just Swallow Things by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Female Bluebird by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Male Bluebird by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Good Scratch by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Protecting the nest by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Bluebird Nestlings by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

Swallow Nestlings by Zachary Tong, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

that's great!

These guys have the worst call.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Anyone have some advice on how to lug around a big telephoto lens & full frame DSLR on a hike, keeping my hands free when needed but also having the camera ready to go in an instant? Normally I would just have a strap on the camera body and throw it over my shoulder, but even with a 5D2 I don't think it's going to be a good idea to just let the 400mm hang off its mount. It would be great if there were lugs on the lens so I could put the strap on there directly and let it support the weight of the camera body. But there aren't, and I don't necessarily want to put it in a bag or stick it on a tripod head at all times.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Anyone have some advice on how to lug around a big telephoto lens & full frame DSLR on a hike, keeping my hands free when needed but also having the camera ready to go in an instant? Normally I would just have a strap on the camera body and throw it over my shoulder, but even with a 5D2 I don't think it's going to be a good idea to just let the 400mm hang off its mount. It would be great if there were lugs on the lens so I could put the strap on there directly and let it support the weight of the camera body. But there aren't, and I don't necessarily want to put it in a bag or stick it on a tripod head at all times.
I use a Joby Sling Strap, which screws onto the tripod mount on the lens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kenshin posted:

I use a Joby Sling Strap, which screws onto the tripod mount on the lens.

Yea, I carried around my 100-400mm like this a ton with no issues. It sounds like Smersh's 400mm didn't come with a tripod ring collar (does Canon even include/make one?) so he'd have to use the cameras tripod mount. Besides the question of it hurting the mount, it would probably be really unbalanced mounted this way. You can buy 3rd party tripod ring collars on Amazon, but it looks like the only well reviewed ones are $50 and if I was using it to support the whole weight of the camera I would certainly not want to skimp on the chance that it was going to dump my whole setup on the rocks.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I just sling my 600 over my shoulder attached to the tripod. Which 400 are you talking about? If it's the 400 f/2.8 then you've got little option other than the shoulder sling, but if it's a smaller 400 then check out the cotton carrier system. I use that for my smaller lenses and with the chest harness I don't even feel the weight after a 15km+ hike.

The shoulder-sling method is the only large telephoto option that is going to allow you to setup and shoot quickly. It is punishing on your shoulder however and I highly recommend wrapping the top of the tripod in a pillow if you choose this route.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for the replies. I have the 400 5.6, and it did come with a collar. So I can use a solution that attaches to the lens via the screw mount on the collar.

But it would be cool if there were lugs for a strap built into the collar.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Thanks for the replies. I have the 400 5.6, and it did come with a collar. So I can use a solution that attaches to the lens via the screw mount on the collar.

The Joby strap is really, really good for that kind of lens.

I've used the same strap (and it shows almost no wear & tear at all) for getting close to 2 years now with Sigma 120-400mm and Tamron 150-600mm lenses. Nearly all (>99%) of my shooting is done handheld and I've done a fair bit of hiking with that setup too.

Keep in mind it is a lot of extra weight on your shoulder and back. For longer hikes I recommend switching shoulders occasionally or just tossing the entire setup in a backpack when you're on parts where you don't expect you'll need your camera quickly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool. Yeah, the Joby strap looks like a good solution.

Have some birds:

Western kingbird

nictitating membrane

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cotton Carrier vest would also work really well for that lens: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/camera-carrier-vest-system-p/635rtl-s.htm

Love this perspective, although you really should clone out the branch in the top right.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Cotton Carrier vest would also work really well for that lens: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/camera-carrier-vest-system-p/635rtl-s.htm
Oh wow, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I might have to pick one up and see how I like it compared to the Joby.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

SMERSH Mouth posted:

There kind of is. The black rapid/Joby sling straps screw into the tripod plate mounting on the bottom of the camera or lens foot. I doubt you'd want to attach the strap to the foot, though. I've got to think that would make the setup too weirdly balanced to be comfortable to hike with. That 400 f5.6 is relatively lightweight and the lens mount can handle it no problem. I hike around with a 7lb 300 mm f2.8 + tc attached and it's fine.

Kenshin posted:

Oh wow, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I might have to pick one up and see how I like it compared to the Joby.

Post your thoughts on it if you do. I've looked at those before and wished I'd had something like it for backpacking. I'm curious if it can handle a bigger lens + camera body combo than the pics show.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm torn between knowing this is probably the dorkiest thing I've ever seen in either the world of birding or photography (quite a feat) and actually thinking it could come in handy on occasion.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm torn between knowing this is probably the dorkiest thing I've ever seen in either the world of birding or photography (quite a feat) and actually thinking it could come in handy on occasion.
The umbrella is a bit much, but the vest is incredibly useful and I highly recommend it for hiking and/or kayaking.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Any experience using that with binoculars (in addition to a camera)? I can't tell if that would be more or less likely to get me all tangled up.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I just got back from a short excursion, decked out with a ball cap style hat with a neck and ear shade flap. And I clipped a strap onto the bottom of my tripod's quick-release plate's thumb screw, so my lens could hang around my neck like a giant grey medallion. It looked pretty goony.

Although it was comfortable enough. The photo results were underwhelming:

100rip

96tit

95wood

I'm partial the vulture, though.

I'm going to think about the merits and costs of the Joby strap vs. the crazy chest-mount thing.

And speaking of goony, is there anything like a (and I can't think of a better way to describe this) pistol grip style handle for mounting a big lens? Like, with a mounting plate on top? Or some kind of vibration-dampening stage between the grip and the mount? It would be pretty great to have something that would allow you to support the lens better while keeping freedom of movement.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 12, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And speaking of goony, is there anything like a (and I can't think of a better way to describe this) pistol grip style handle for mounting a big lens? Like, with a mounting plate on top? Or some kind of vibration-dampening stage between the grip and the mount? It would be pretty great to have something that would allow you to keep your lens stable while allowing for the sort of free movement a monopod can inhibit.
I've been thinking of something like that for a while for the front of my big lenses. I figure maybe I can do a mock-up by taking the forward grip off of my rifle (which I don't use anyway) and figuring out some way with straps to attach it securely, just behind where the lens hood connects...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I've been thinking of something like that for a while for the front of my big lenses. I figure maybe I can do a mock-up by taking the forward grip off of my rifle (which I don't use anyway) and figuring out some way with straps to attach it securely, just behind where the lens hood connects...

Something like this is too much IMO, but honestly not that far off.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Old School, Old Style, Old.
By John S. Socha on March 17, 2012
I've owned a few of these, and let's clear the air.

This camera has NOTHING to do with spies, the KGB, etc. Any seller who claims this is blowing smoke. Having spent some time in the fringes of the intelligence community, I can tell you that the first thing any KGB type would NOT want is to be noticed carrying something that (especially after 9/11) looks like a portable rocket launcher! I seldom used mine in public, and CERTAINLY not at the local airshow!

Here's the scoop: Zenit SLRs were built around the chassis of the first Soviet rangefinder camera, which was a knock-off of a Leica. When Leica came out with a reflex housing that permitted the use of a long lens, so did the Soviets. They later slapped a longer lens on the Zenit SLR, cobbled on some way of firing the camera and packed it all in a metal case with filters, etc. It was meant for nature lovers, not spies!

This is VERY old technology, a copy of a Zeiss formula from the 1930's. The lens is not auto anything and if you try to close the spring loaded aperture down as you shoot, it makes an loud CLACK!

Is is possible to mount the lens on some digital SLRs with adapters, but modern lenses are so much better with AF and auto exposure.

If you want to buy this because it is funky, that's fine. But you are not buying any KGB spy gear.

If you search some dusty archive, you may come across my 1977 (?) article from Modern Photography Magazine called, "From Russia, With Lens." It talks a bit more about Soviet cameras and how (in the midst of the cold war!) I mail ordered one from Moscow! My current book (on Amazon) is "How To Use The Digital Camera You Just Bought!"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, I'd seen that, but it is far too much. If I can use a 3D printer to create mount that has picatinny rail on one side and a system for a belt-like strap on the other side (to be able to size it for various lenses and tighten it down) I figure that might work.

You'd need a thick (1cm?) foam pad on the side that touches the lens body though, both to prevent damage and slippage and to adapt the different curvatures of smaller/larger diameter lenses.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Any experience using that with binoculars (in addition to a camera)? I can't tell if that would be more or less likely to get me all tangled up.
I can't really think of a way that both could be on you at once without banging into each other and making a mess. The carrier system does come with a side holster as well, which could easily hold binoculars.

I don't want to sound like I'm working on commission for the company, but I like the cotton carrier system because it holds the lens/body in place without any movement at all. A 1Dx and a 100-400 is a fair bit of weight, and at the end of a long hike it becomes a lot of weight. With the chest harness I don't even notice the weight at all, and the camera is immediately available if needed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My partner usually carries a pair of bins on a hanging from her shoulder and her 70d+400 5.6 on the neck strap. When I've been carrying a camera and bins, I either crisscross them sling style across my chest if I'm hiking, as it keeps everything steady and secure, or the camera around my neck and the bins sling style. I've just got a small camera setup though.

Thanks for the info about that Joby sling strap, everyone that looks right up my alley, I think I'll order a couple!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My typical hiking setup is the camera on a blackrapid cross-ways on one side and the binoculars cross-ways across the other side. Lord help me if I have a backpack on too and need to figure out what order to take stuff off. If I'm bringing my longer zoom (Tamron 150-600), I'll usually throw it (mounted) in one of those think tank digital holsters with the carry strap. It works OK but I'm sure there are better solutions out there.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I've been happy with the Joby strap for smaller lenses, but I wish I had something a little more robust for super-telephoto lenses. I'm not seeing anything with a 3/8" screw on it, but something with an additional under-the-armpit strap like the BlackRapid RS-Sport seems like it would be a little easier on the neck/shoulder after a full day of hiking.

A few recent shots:

annas-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kingfisher-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

yellowlegs-reflection by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And it looks like the project I shot for the BBC is getting ready to air, too. Here's some of my footage in an editing suite with Gavin Boyland and Chris Packham:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

And it looks like the project I shot for the BBC is getting ready to air, too. Here's some of my footage in an editing suite with Gavin Boyland and Chris Packham:

Yesssss. As a nature documentary addict I'm excited to see this.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

A few recent shots:

annas-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kingfisher-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
These are beauties. The backgrounds really are perfect for both too.

Moon Potato posted:

Awesome -- huge congrats!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

The umbrella is a bit much, but the vest is incredibly useful and I highly recommend it for hiking and/or kayaking.

Yea, as someone who hikes with a birding camera setup frequently I totally get the huge pain (literally) that carrying around such a setup can be. Stylish it is not, however.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Like this? I have one that I bought for cheap in hopes of using it with a small spotting scope. I wasn't really happy with the results though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

Nice!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Here are some birds looking happy:

And here are some birds looking evil:

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Kawau, the black shag by raikyn, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:drat: Looks like a painting! Incredible!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That bird makes me feel uncomfortable.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Just got caught up on this thread and there is some seriously amazing stuff here.

Omg its been a loooong time since I've been able to go out bird shooting. Here's a few from a trip out to eastern Oregon:

Double Crested Cormorant

Eared Grebe

Green Tailed Towhee

Another Green Tailed Towhee

Osprey

White Pelican

I'm very happy I was able to get some good shots of Green Tailed Towhees. I've been trying to get something decent for a couple years now. This year turned out to be a Green Tailed bonanza for whatever reason which was amazing. It made up (somewhat) for not getting any Lewis's Woodpeckers or any photo opportunities for Prairie Falcon.

So much processing still to do...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That towhee looks fantastic.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
The feathers on the towhee are incredible.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Duck by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Duck by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Flaps by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Yellowlegs by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I almost stepped on this guy yesterday on a mountain hike. I just had a landscape lens with me, but luckily I was able to get ridiculously close for some shots:

I think it's a White-tailed Ptarmigan but I guess Spruce Grouse is possible as well. Anyone know how to tell the difference?

[edit] More one shot of it

Beauty!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Green Tailed Towhee

Another Green Tailed Towhee
All nice, but these two really stand out.

Where was your first shot taken? Such crazy light going on with it. These are all great shots -- I love the inquisitive look from the duck in the second shot, and you've captured a unique pose for the yellowlegs.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 17, 2015