Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm already in for a lengthy sale period most likely, since I'm selling an ix (AWD!), and these crop up for sale just about never (and when they do it's some pos auto) since not a lot of em were made, so I'm 'waiting for the right buyer' to pay somewhat above the already risen e30 price. Depending on cost I will most likely get the smog done since that is a legal requirement, but I'm not clear on whether or not I have to retitle it here first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey thread, I'm a huge child and only eat chicken fingers, pizza, and hot dogs.

I don't like beer because it tastes gross.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phone posted:

Now, Fireball, though...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

Hey thread, I'm a huge child and only eat chicken fingers, pizza, and hot dogs.

Unironically, same.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Does this mean you don't need to smog it or what?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm already in for a lengthy sale period most likely, since I'm selling an ix (AWD!), and these crop up for sale just about never (and when they do it's some pos auto) since not a lot of em were made, so I'm 'waiting for the right buyer' to pay somewhat above the already risen e30 price. Depending on cost I will most likely get the smog done since that is a legal requirement, but I'm not clear on whether or not I have to retitle it here first...

Assuming you pass on the first go, it's generally $40-$60.

It doesn't look like you have to retitle it before selling, as there's a whole section on ca dmv website for buying out of state cars. I know my dad bought a bronco from Texas and shipped it here to transfer title.

Funtime reading: https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/os

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Assuming you pass on the first go, it's generally $40-$60.

It doesn't look like you have to retitle it before selling, as there's a whole section on ca dmv website for buying out of state cars. I know my dad bought a bronco from Texas and shipped it here to transfer title.

Funtime reading: https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/os

I don't remember what it took but I eventually got a motorcycle titled & registered in CA with only a NY bill of sale in my possession.

Well, I remember part of what it took, it took at least 6 hours of sitting in the DMV office.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Does this mean you don't need to smog it or what?

Yeah that's the Toyota King Ranch/Longhorn/Denali equivalent. I was wondering just yesterday why they picked 1794 and:

quote:

And if you’re wondering why it’s called the 1794, well, the ranch where the Toyota Tundra is now built was founded in 1794, hence giving this luxurious Toyota truck its name.
That's... um. I got nothin'.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's not a ranch if you're building trucks on it. It's a truck factory.

Who does Japan thinks we are?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's called the ranch because that's where the horses are, duh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, my Dell Precsion M6800 decided the Windows 10 upgrade was a good time to start committing hardware suicide.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Coredump posted:

Would you then be considered an absolute ledge? :v:

I loving hope not!

Now get off my lawn! drat youngsters.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Drove Vegas > Death Valley > 395 > 207 > South Lake Tahoe yesterday in a rented Nissan Altima S.

Stunning drive, but the I'm not impressed with the Altima. Steering is heavy without feedback, and the CVT can go suck a dick. Coming up the winding hills on the 207 (great road) I'd ease off the throttle into a corner, it goes down a "gear", back on the throttle to balance the car *clunk*, floor it coming out the corner *clunk*, next corner rinse and repeat. And that was in "sport" mode with overdrive disabled. Any slight backing off of the throttle means the car immediately goes up a few gears and then has a paddy when you ask for the power you had s few seconds ago.

Is that normal for a CVT? I don't have much experience with automatics but I expected better for a '15 model. Theoretically that car should be quicker than my diesel e46 buy that gearbox ruins the car. Admittedly it goes ok when it is in proper CVT mode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I live like 10 minutes from there. Take a week off, go get some seafood and then you can help me grind rust for the next 6 days.

Don't tempt me :v:

My old man has decided he's bored of his C63 and thinks it's making him drive like too much of an rear end in a top hat, so now he's thinking of replacing it with a new WRX since that's what my brother has.

I'm doing my damnedest to get him to buy a Focus RS instead. :getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's called the ranch because that's where the horses are, duh.

:golfclap:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

stump posted:

Stunning drive, but the I'm not impressed with the Altima. Steering is heavy without feedback, and the CVT can go suck a dick. Coming up the winding hills on the 207 (great road) I'd ease off the throttle into a corner, it goes down a "gear", back on the throttle to balance the car *clunk*, floor it coming out the corner *clunk*, next corner rinse and repeat. And that was in "sport" mode with overdrive disabled. Any slight backing off of the throttle means the car immediately goes up a few gears and then has a paddy when you ask for the power you had s few seconds ago.
This is why people who drive sticks hate driving automatics. Its not pro-active, it only knows what you've done, not what you are going to do.

And for me, I'd rather the car just accelerate when I floor it, not take 2 seconds to hunt for the right gear THEN start accelerating. And I'd like engine braking. And....

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Man, I knew Haynes manuals were loving useless but I hadn't read one for a post-1995 vehicle before. They really are loving painful, especially the electrical section. The whole diagrams chapter might as well be a single page of IGN SW-----------[LOGIC]----------GND, and stuff any mulleted hick with a 6 pack of Old Milwaukee, a nut lathe and 3 brain cells could fix in ten minutes with absolutely no safety risk gets the 'YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS TO A DEALER DON'T TOUCH IT' note. I can't believe I paid money for this thing, it's absolute loving garbage. Should have listened to kastein and everyone else on the subject.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tommychu posted:

Man, I knew Haynes manuals were loving useless but I hadn't read one for a post-1995 vehicle before. They really are loving painful, especially the electrical section. The whole diagrams chapter might as well be a single page of IGN SW-----------[LOGIC]----------GND, and stuff any mulleted hick with a 6 pack of Old Milwaukee, a nut lathe and 3 brain cells could fix in ten minutes with absolutely no safety risk gets the 'YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS TO A DEALER DON'T TOUCH IT' note. I can't believe I paid money for this thing, it's absolute loving garbage. Should have listened to kastein and everyone else on the subject.

Actually they're all pretty loving useless, I had one for my 86 Crown Vic and it was sorta like getting driving directions from your mom: "Go down the road for a way, then you'll see a thing, turn at the thing, if you see the store you went too far, you'll need to turn again at that big tree."

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Actually they're all pretty loving useless, I had one for my 86 Crown Vic and it was sorta like getting driving directions from your mom: "Go down the road for a way, then you'll see a thing, turn at the thing, if you see the store you went too far, you'll need to turn again at that big tree."

I recall them being at least vaguely useful when I was into early-'80s GM stuff, certainly not actually good but they could at least point me in the right direction so I could fumble around and figure the rest out.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

ilkhan posted:

This is why people who drive sticks hate driving automatics. Its not pro-active, it only knows what you've done, not what you are going to do.

And for me, I'd rather the car just accelerate when I floor it, not take 2 seconds to hunt for the right gear THEN start accelerating. And I'd like engine braking. And....
Yeah, with I used to be anti-automatic, but purely based upon what I had read about them getting better in recent years I had come around the idea of an auto... but I guess some of them still suck. Might get a 528xi from zipcar on the last day of the holiday, I imagine that might be more like what I expected from a modern auto.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tommychu posted:

I read one a while ago for a MK 2 Golf and it was amazing, it had everything in there, even down to stripping down the entire gearbox and rebuilding it bit-by-bit. I was impressed.

Then i read a newer one for a 2005-or-so car and it had absolutely nothing in it that was any more involved that checking the oil level via the dipstick. It was totally overshadowed by the car's own manual and was solely usefull for kindling or something.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Then i read a newer one for a 2005-or-so car and it had absolutely nothing in it that was any more involved that checking the oil level via the dipstick. It was totally overshadowed by the car's own manual and was solely usefull for kindling or something.

So for a modern BMW or whatever does the Haynes manual just have "NO" printed in 10-inch letters on each of 150 pages?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mooseykins posted:

I read one a while ago for a MK 2 Golf and it was amazing, it had everything in there, even down to stripping down the entire gearbox and rebuilding it bit-by-bit. I was impressed.

I have the Haynes and Bentley for my Scirocco and I actually prefer the Haynes for a few things. I was reading one for a mid 00s truck a while back and was shocked how much stuff was just "You can't do this, visit a mechanic"

Drives me nuts how you're actively discouraged from DIYing anything now a days because something might go wrong. I firmly believe it's my generation's fault because nobody my age seems capable of admitting they hosed up.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Pham Nuwen posted:

So for a modern BMW or whatever does the Haynes manual just have "NO" printed in 10-inch letters on each of 150 pages?

That's the gist of it. It might as well be just the front and back covers with the words "Refer to dealer" printed inside them. They're absolutely useless. I get that a lot of stuff is more sophistocated and that, but some of them don't even cover changing brake pads for real basic maintenance like oil and filter changes.

With that said, a lot of VW service manuals are pretty vague, especially because the latter half of almost every task is summed up as "Reassembly is the reverse of removal."

1500quidporsche posted:

I have the Haynes and Bentley for my Scirocco and I actually prefer the Haynes for a few things. I was reading one for a mid 00s truck a while back and was shocked how much stuff was just "You can't do this, visit a mechanic"

Drives me nuts how you're actively discouraged from DIYing anything now a days because something might go wrong. I firmly believe it's my generation's fault because nobody my age seems capable of admitting they hosed up.

The old Haynes were great, it really was like a book written by an old school mech who'd overhaul everything and they were packed with information. It's a great shame they're so crap now.

I agree with you, i think our generation is quite often useless if there's isn't an "app" for the task at hand and so concerned with being loving special they couldn't possibly tarnish their reputation with scummy manual work that might go wrong. Also, the whole entitlement generation means they think they can drop into a 50+k job straight out of college and pay the dealer to do anything required.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Is there a goon in the Colorado Springs area that might be able to go look at a car for me?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
ive ordered a thai take away for tea what is everyone else having tonight?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

I cooked some chicken and now I'm pissing out me arse. Coincidence? Who knows

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think Biturbo prices have hit their nadir :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

I cooked some chicken and now I'm pissing out me arse. Coincidence? Who knows

:goshawk:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Christ I think I figured out why so many social activities at work are bullshit things like scavenger hunts. Turns out the guy that organizes all this poo poo is pretty big into LARPing. :stonk:

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Give in to your hate.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In the sense that shells that used to be $500-1500 now are $3k and runners in the $5-8k range out of nowhere :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

14 INCH SLIT posted:

start stocking up on them now. Eventually someone's going to make a swap kit for the ford 2.7 ttv6 and then everybody's going to want one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

start stocking up on them now, make a swap kit for the ford 2.7 ttv6 and then everybody's going to want one.

it's your time to shine, 14"

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

Also no one really understands that cars are complex pieces of machinery and when something breaks its automatically "a piece of poo poo"

Yes you have to take care of your car. Yes things wear out. Just because you have a flat tire its not a fault of the car maker for making a lovely car, you just have a flat.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Has any IT/SysAdmin ever worked at a place where developers didn't throw a wrench into patching critical, security-related updates? Because I'd be interested to hear about how worry-free their days are.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm having bad, bad thoughts about buying an RX-8, guys. Help.

Buy mine

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also no one really understands that cars are complex pieces of machinery and when something breaks its automatically "a piece of poo poo"

Yes you have to take care of your car. Yes things wear out. Just because you have a flat tire its not a fault of the car maker for making a lovely car, you just have a flat.

My mom traded in her mint Z3 for a c230 sedan *kompressor* because the battery died after six years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

My mom traded in her mint Z3 for a c230 sedan *kompressor* because the battery died after six years.
Car wont start, I no longer trust it...Time for a new one!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BloodBag posted:

I can only imagine the giant erection the salesman had while making that deal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

corn in the fridge posted:

Nearly 11pm. Considering one of those lovely local takeaway pizzas because I hate my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sigma X posted:

Has any IT/SysAdmin ever worked at a place where developers didn't throw a wrench into patching critical, security-related updates? Because I'd be interested to hear about how worry-free their days are.

Not here. I had one dev here spending a bunch of time whining about how long a release was taking, since I like to patch during a release so I don't have to waste time taking servers OOS twice in a month.

• Locked thread