Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kemix posted:

What do you think GameFAQs is for? :v: but yea, there's this -great- guide on the FF9 page that was made like a couple months ago by a one bover_87 in HTML that not only gives a guide, but even tells you were all the little hidden items are in the game. It's pretty blatant with spoilers on the Table of Contents though, and no, the item in question with the ability in question does not show up on Disk 2, believe me, I loving tried and am WAY past that point right now.
Hell, he even jots down every possible missable item in the game and tells you how many to buy for a complete item stash/synthesis list, I wholeheartedly recommend this guide if you are either A. A completionist or B. At the very least don't want to miss out on which items become unavailable when.

I've actually been using that guide behind-the-scenes to make sure I'm not missing anything, and as said it's a very useful guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebs
Apr 22, 2008

Dastardly posted:

I don't even need black bars to say that my favorite team is Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Freya. Team: The characters I like the most.

Neato.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I don't mind all the super techno evil, as long as they're shown as competent. Playing a game like FFXIV really annoys me when the super evil, magitek using, empire is repeatedly brought low by dudes using bows/arrows/swords. They have bullets, giant mechs, space ships and GIANT SKYSCRAPER sized gently caress off super ships. But they still can't beat the medieval tech good guys.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sum Mors posted:

I don't mind all the super techno evil, as long as they're shown as competent. Playing a game like FFXIV really annoys me when the super evil, magitek using, empire is repeatedly brought low by dudes using bows/arrows/swords. They have bullets, giant mechs, space ships and GIANT SKYSCRAPER sized gently caress off super ships. But they still can't beat the medieval tech good guys.
Considering said empire rules most of the world they're plenty competent. It's just magic they have trouble with, especially when there's crazy powerful beings that use it against them. Especially when they can call natural disasters at whim.

I mean, armies are useless against Wizards that can just go 'alright for all you guys, down is now up. Enjoy your space flight!' Or against magical beings that can earthquake/tornado/tidal wave your forces away.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Final Fantasy X, technically? The Al-Bhed aren't exactly "good" guys, but they aren't really wrong when they think technology isn't all that bad.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Final Fantasy X, technically? The Al-Bhed aren't exactly "good" guys, but they aren't really wrong when they think technology isn't all that bad.

The bad guys used tech too (see their religious capital for a prime example). They were religious hypocrites, not no good hippies sadly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You could possibly make a very loose case for Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, but it wouldn't hold up much under any scrutiny.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

mauman posted:

Pokemon Ruby.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

mauman posted:

Maybe it would be explored more often if technology wasn't (on the whole) vastly more powerful than hippy nature crap. In order to create tension, writers make the "bad guy" powerful and threatening (i.e. technologically advanced) while the good guys are weak underdogs (bucolic backwater folk). If you make the hippy poo poo powerful and threatening, you basically just end up with witchcraft/sorcery, which is often the main villain.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

mauman posted:

Breath of Fire III. Kinda. Technology is a major theme. One of the main characters is an engineer and the main antagonist doesn't want machines out in the world.

EDIT: Oh, and the first two Star Oceans. If you squint. It's not major, but technology being defeated by the good guys using swords and magic is definitely there. Ignore that woman who uses a high tech laser gun because she uses it as a club anyways.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 14, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chrono Cross wants to hammer into your face how much humanity sucks and non humans (including genocidal heavy machinery loving dwarves) are soooo much better and in touch with nature and humans should crawl into a hole and die in a fire.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Chrono Cross wants to hammer into your face how much humanity sucks and non humans (including genocidal heavy machinery loving dwarves) are soooo much better and in touch with nature and humans should crawl into a hole and die in a fire.

Yeah, but Chrono Cross clearly had the nature-loving hippie race (reptites) wiped out by the dirty techno-apes (humans). Humans are the bad technology group there.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, but Chrono Cross clearly had the nature-loving hippie race (reptites) wiped out by the dirty techno-apes (humans). Humans are the bad technology group there.

Chrono Cross would have been better if one of your characters was, in fact, a Techno-Ape.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

UnwiseTrout posted:

Chrono Cross would have been better if one of your characters was, in fact, a Techno-Ape.

But what would their accent be?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

UnwiseTrout posted:

Sadly, I would agree. Closest we get is a cyborg assassin that can use his hair as a laser whip. After we beat the poo poo out of him first of course :v: (I am using that emoticon a lot lately)

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

mauman posted:

It'd be most any game that has a rebel faction turn out to be evil after they win/you help them win. Typically they're not super back-to-nature, but the archetype would remain similar. Starcraft Sons of Korhal, the Engwithians in Pillars of Eternity are generally hostile to you and they're total hippie grassroots guys. They aren't "evil" but the entire game is about exploring grey areas and how everybody is a dick.

Hrmmm.... Irvine in Wild Arms 2 created the evil organization that he had to then create a grass roots mercenary gang to defeat?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mauman posted:

Ceasar's Legion in Fallout New Vegas are obsessed with wiping out technology as one of their many faults.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

mauman posted:

Overlord II had shades of this? And depending on how you're playing, Overlord I/Raising Hell is definitely slanted a bit like this.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Geostomp posted:

Ceasar's Legion in Fallout New Vegas are obsessed with wiping out technology as one of their many faults.

I don't recall that being the case. Their tech was limited compared to the NCR so they parsed it out to their best soldiers. Want to use an actual gun instead of spears and cheap swords? You have to EARN the right maggot!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly I always felt it was more Caesar didn't want his men relying on technology to get the job done.

Compare House who can't really get anything done without it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Caeser just keeps a hypocritical monopoly on tech to stay on top. His guards use power fists and he has a personal Auto-Doc. Hell I vaguely recall him admitting as such in a line of dialogue somewhere.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

Caeser just keeps a hypocritical monopoly on tech to stay on top. His guards use power fists and he has a personal Auto-Doc. Hell I vaguely recall him admitting as such in a line of dialogue somewhere.

Yeah, one of the things that game really hammered into you was that the Legion was built on hypocrisy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ceasar was going to buy energy weapons for his army from the Van Graffs. He decided what technology was allowed and what wasnt but he didnt ban all of it. Guns definetly were not banned, they were just limited because they couldnt manufacture them themselves.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EDIT: Oh, and the first two Star Oceans. If you squint. It's not major, but technology being defeated by the good guys using swords and magic is definitely there. Ignore that woman who uses a high tech laser gun because she uses it as a club anyways.

And because its not nearly as bad an offender as the antimatter sword :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

All good points about the Legion. I didn't hang around them much so I never got the full inside scoop on what their deal was.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I liked some of the responses, but none of them quite reached what I was thinking.

Then, it dawned on me while I was looking through my old CDs. Choosing a game to replay.

Thief (the original, not that abomination of a remake) fits perfectly. Evil pagan druids against the good(ish, yeah they kinda suck in the sequels) city and Hammerites.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Kemix posted:

The ONLY beef I absolutely have against it is how Steals were done. We have four slots for steals, Rare/Semi-Rare/Uncommon/Common (in that order of importance when the game checks)

This may be too far ahead, but I just finished disk 1, and Beatrix's stealable Mythril Sword had me loading my save state over and over again until I looked up the odds and I just had to say gently caress it. Way too frustrating. I am curious, though. How much does Bandit (or whatever the steal+ ability is called) raise the odds of getting a rare?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

zfleeman posted:

This may be too far ahead, but I just finished disk 1, and Beatrix's stealable Mythril Sword had me loading my save state over and over again until I looked up the odds and I just had to say gently caress it. Way too frustrating. I am curious, though. How much does Bandit (or whatever the steal+ ability is called) raise the odds of getting a rare?

That steal is completely not worth it because it's buyable in literally the next town.

Bandit doesn't raise the odds, it just makes it so that it doesn't try to steal from slots you've already stolen from. That ultra rare steal still has a less than half percent chance of being stolen, but at least the game doesn't try to take an item from a slot you've already stolen from.

That said, there IS a late-game ability that DOES raise the steal percentage, but if you've been getting everything through The Best Minigame Ever, you pretty much don't need it.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 14, 2015

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

kalonZombie posted:

That steal is completely not worth it because it's buyable in literally the next town.

Bandit doesn't raise the odds, it just makes it so that it doesn't try to steal from slots you've already stolen from. That ultra rare steal still has a less than half percent chance of being stolen, but at least the game doesn't try to take an item from a slot you've already stolen from.

That said, there IS a late-game ability that DOES raise the steal percentage, but if you've been getting everything through The Best Minigame Ever, you pretty much don't need it.

The player gets cut off from the jump rope minigame really quickly though...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Earnestly posted:

The player gets cut off from the jump rope minigame really quickly though...

The Best Minigame That Gives Actual Rewards Ever.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

mauman posted:

I think Nier counts, if I remember correctly. Why exactly that is, however, is spoilers everywhere; and requires a New Game +.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

mauman posted:

The Wild Arms series kinda sorta count too. I mean yeah, a ton of playable characters use guns (in fact pretty much everyone in the later games), but for the most part we're using ye olde summoned magick entity powers to combat metal machine-like demons who usually get better mechanical toys than our dudes do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

Incorrect. Bandit makes it so that you don't have to overcome the target's level when you try to steal, so it does in fact increase the odds of stealing something. But that's all it does. Master Thief is the ability that makes it ignore empty slots, as well as increasing the odds of stealing from the 3rd and 4th slots.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Stealing is not worth it after Lindblum, and a pain in the rear end even until then. Don't do it. There's nothing there you need so bad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stealing is always worth it. You'll never have to waste money on perishable items again, and every successful steal counts towards your Thievery total.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

BioMe posted:

Stealing is not worth it after Lindblum, and a pain in the rear end even until then. Don't do it. There's nothing there you need so bad.

BITCH PLEASE. Patience is the name of the game when it comes to stealing. Yes. You CAN wind up trying to steal from a boss for 10+ minutes. But never say it's not worth it Like trying to steal a second set of Genji Equipment from four very familiar bosses in disk 4's final dungeon, or a first set if you're adamant on not doing a certain mini-game chain that spans ALL FOUR DISKS. It tends to get you free poo poo from bosses you would either A. Have to buy later on down the road or B. Have few other chances to ever obtain in the first place.

TLDR: steal from every boss until they are tapped out at the bare minimum, steal at every chance you can if you want good poo poo in unlimited quantities without paying a single gil. Also powers up a certain fixed damage attack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are quite a few boss steals that simply aren't worth the time investment though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fister Roboto posted:

There are quite a few boss steals that simply aren't worth the time investment though.

There's two, Fairy Flute and Demon's Mail. Everything else is on the table and relatively reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kemix posted:

BITCH PLEASE. Patience is the name of the game when it comes to stealing. Yes. You CAN wind up trying to steal from a boss for 10+ minutes. But never say it's not worth it Like trying to steal a second set of Genji Equipment from four very familiar bosses in disk 4's final dungeon, or a first set if you're adamant on not doing a certain mini-game chain that spans ALL FOUR DISKS. It tends to get you free poo poo from bosses you would either A. Have to buy later on down the road or B. Have few other chances to ever obtain in the first place.

TLDR: steal from every boss until they are tapped out at the bare minimum, steal at every chance you can if you want good poo poo in unlimited quantities without paying a single gil. Also powers up a certain fixed damage attack.

Yeah, but it's a video game. You aren't saving big bucks in real money, just ruining the fun you are supposed to have fun by turning boss fights into frustrating struggles against the RNG.

Plus you know if you can afford to just sit there for 10 minutes trying to steal poo poo you probably don't need some power leveling scheme to beat the next boss either.

• Locked thread