Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You know what I want, and you know what I need. Tell me when I can come by with $1500 and pick up a lifted FC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

McTinkerson posted:

I'm thinking I might start flipping RX's. There's plenty of sub $1k RX-7's that don't need much other than rotary specific TLC to get going again. Hoopties will have to wait until after the hoist is in.

There's gotta be so many JDM imports from when the import craze was booming ~10 years ago that could be flipped after a bit of maintenance. I work with a guy whose `92 WRX has been sitting for like 2 years now because he hasn't gotten around to getting the engine fixed

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah there are no shortage of blown-up EJ20Gs and EJ20Ks that you could work on if you hated yourself.

If I had more space, one of the projects I want to do is to get a crashed JDM WRX and an intact LHD Brighton or OBS and swap parts into it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

neckbeard posted:

There's gotta be so many JDM imports from when the import craze was booming ~10 years ago that could be flipped after a bit of maintenance. I work with a guy whose `92 WRX has been sitting for like 2 years now because he hasn't gotten around to getting the engine fixed

The amount of neglected RHD FD's is staggering - I've had to pass on three sub $4k FD's because I simply didn't have the space.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

The amount of neglected RHD FD's is staggering - I've had to pass on three sub $4k FD's because I simply didn't have the space.

I'm a bit sad you didn't buy a quarter section of farmland and then fill it with rotaries. You could drop a couple of Doritos into the engine bay of an old motor home and stay ideologically consistent.

You'd be the guy our grandkids would discuss in awe on future-AI. "Old man found dead in Mazda junkyard, surrounded by hundreds of obsolete Wenkels"

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Boss truck, good work on the project.

How much would a brand new bed from GM have cost?

For just the bare bed, no tail lights, wiring, fuel filler parts, gas cap etc. It would've been over $3k + paint, though the painting would've been 10x easier.

McTinkerson posted:

I'm thinking I might start flipping RX's. There's plenty of sub $1k RX-7's that don't need much other than rotary specific TLC to get going again. Hoopties will have to wait until after the hoist is in.

You can get an RX-8 with a blown motor for less than $2k. Apparently getting 120k kms out of a Renesis is a miracle. The kit to put a 13b in them is stupid cheap too. They bolt right up to the RX-8 trans.

Source: My buddy is building the most unreliable drift car ever.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 13, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've yet to seen a blown motor RX-8 that cheap though they're definitely trending that way. I'd love to pick one up.

As McTinkerson has told me before, you can make a Renesis reliable, it just takes a pretty considerable amount of pre-planning and some moderate expense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:supaburn:

Absolutely love this poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

:supaburn:

Absolutely love this poo poo

drat, hard to believe it'll be snowing in a month.

The days are already getting shorter. i finished up the console in the pickup, but the sky got dark at 8pm like a dick. I'm going to wait until i can get some decent pics before updating the build thread, but this is basically what it looks like.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

McTinkerson posted:

That race was amazing! Congratulations btw! You guys were incredible.

Thanks man! (Conroy's team(s) are always quick)

Our strategy of being the "tortise" in "The Tortise & the Hare" would've worked better if we didn't get given a transponder that stopped working sometime in the first hour (after they were checked on the parade laps), so we got 2 _long_ pit stops while the Chump officials stood around & scratched their balls.

We got back the laps that weren't counted, but not the time in the pits. All in all there's about 1 hour of race missing from our results on mylaps, if you add up all our laps from start to checker (which include the very long times for laps we stopped on).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've yet to seen a blown motor RX-8 that cheap though they're definitely trending that way. I'd love to pick one up.

As McTinkerson has told me before, you can make a Renesis reliable, it just takes a pretty considerable amount of pre-planning and some moderate expense.

Seen a couple over the summer in Alberta on kijiji for less than 1800. But the really really mint ones go for closer to 3k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Seen a couple over the summer in Alberta on kijiji for less than 1800. But the really really mint ones go for closer to 3k.

Hell, "running' ones go through auction these days for $6k.

edit: shell is running out of fuel because the scottford refinery is down, so they raised their prices to 121.9 for whatever they get in, everybody else responded by raising theirs to 117.9. It's so loving crooked. even costco is 115.9

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 13, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Last time oil was anywhere near the price it us now gas was something like .65

loving horseshit. The refinery's profit margins now must be insane.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The entire pipeline from all upstream and midstream providers has been down for a week. This could have something to do with it. One of the energy companies injected a lot of sour fluid by accident. Everyone upstream had to be shut in while they flared off the h2s. When it first happened they estimated it was a bill of $120,000,000. That was day 1.

Edit: Apparently everything reopened early this morning. The only work for fluid hauling up here has been flowback water from frac sites.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone seen anything listed as a hail sale after last week? :haw:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

El Scotch posted:

Anyone seen anything listed as a hail sale after last week? :haw:

Yeah. Some dealership in Lacombe is trying to flog new Ford's for cheap.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

slidebite posted:

Last time oil was anywhere near the price it us now gas was something like .65

loving horseshit. The refinery's profit margins now must be insane.

They are "bracing" for the eventual gas price fall.

Of ten cents in three years time......

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just had the smoothest kijiji sale ever. selling my laptop, dude paid full asking price and included an extra $20 for gas because i drove 100km to leduc to meet him.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah. Some dealership in Lacombe is trying to flog new Ford's for cheap.

Offering 10k off employee pricing on Mustangs.

Just think of hail damage as dimples, like on a golf ball.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

Just think of hail damage as dimples, like on a golf ball.

'zees are speed holes. Zey make ze car go faster.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So how much for a new GT with track pack ? Saw one yesterday with a cool black and gunmetal paint job. Maybe a factory decal kit.

Wonder how hard it would be to convert the current 2015 motor over to the 180* flat plane crank of the new Shelby. Just crank cams and ECU programming I would assume...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know where to buy some 4' LED shoplights in Canada? Want some hardwired ones for a permanent mount for doing a garage, not a pull-cord style (Costco has those).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just walk around the suburbs with a sawzall.

You'll probably have to convert them to 120v AC though.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
GF and I will be driving to Vancouver for vacation in a couple of weeks. The itinerary is still up in the air but we'll be stopping at the Royal Tyrell Museum for sure (for the second time since the town was in a state of emergency the last time we came) and Lethbridge maybe (I want to pick up some sound deadener from BQuiet.)

Any recommendations for places to camp/things to see? Last time we bummed around Edmonton and camped at Dinosaur Provincial Park.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Anyone know where to buy some 4' LED shoplights in Canada? Want some hardwired ones for a permanent mount for doing a garage, not a pull-cord style (Costco has those).

Someone just gave me a pack of those. 10w and bright as gently caress. There are two types, one type that has a ballast and another type that runs off the fluorescent ballast in the fixture.

I don't know where these are from but try Gregg distributors. Grote and a few other brands they carry likely make them.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jonathan posted:

Edit: Apparently everything reopened early this morning. The only work for fluid hauling up here has been flowback water from frac sites.

What's the truck driving work like out your way? I want to come to Canada to drive trucks, might have to do it here first but the pay for it in England is utter shite, and a huge step down on what i make now as a van driver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

What's the truck driving work like out your way? I want to come to Canada to drive trucks, might have to do it here first but the pay for it in England is utter shite, and a huge step down on what i make now as a van driver.

Alberta wouldn't recognize your commercial license anyways. long-haul drivers are in demand, you could probably apply to a few of the bigger companies like bison or trans-x and they might offer you a position contingent on you flying yourself over and getting your own license. Any kind of commercial driving experience and a clean driving record is probably better than the average fresh out of highschool on the brink of license loss candidates they find here.

You could get your license in a week for $2500 through pretty much any training school here if you're not completely terrible. the test and most of the driving will almost certainly be with an unsynchronized transmission, and that's usually what throws off newbies/europeans. some testers and most trainers require you use the clutch, and even i'm terrible shifting with the clutch, it screws up my timing.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Alberta wouldn't recognize your commercial license anyways. long-haul drivers are in demand, you could probably apply to a few of the bigger companies like bison or trans-x and they might offer you a position contingent on you flying yourself over and getting your own license. Any kind of commercial driving experience and a clean driving record is probably better than the average fresh out of highschool on the brink of license loss candidates they find here.

You could get your license in a week for $2500 through pretty much any training school here if you're not completely terrible. the test and most of the driving will almost certainly be with an unsynchronized transmission, and that's usually what throws off newbies/europeans. some testers and most trainers require you use the clutch, and even i'm terrible shifting with the clutch, it screws up my timing.

It's not an issue for me to fly over and get a Canadian commercial licence, i just need to find out what's required to go there as a driver. I could go as a qualified mech, but gently caress doing that job again. I have 3 points on my licence (speeding) and what i drive (3.5t van) is kinda classified as "commercial" but you can drive it on a car licence.

Non-sync gearboxes isn't so much of an issue. I can/have floated gears, although it's much harder to float gears on a synchro box so not something i do often at all. (My old car was great for this, but current car and van aren't.)

I'm wondering if i can get a Canadian licence, buy a truck and become O/O? That might be easier to get in if i'm starting a business as opposed to going as a skilled worker or a working holiday visa? If i can carry on at my current rate with the company i work for now i should be able to save up some good money over a couple years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Someone just gave me a pack of those. 10w and bright as gently caress. There are two types, one type that has a ballast and another type that runs off the fluorescent ballast in the fixture.

I don't know where these are from but try Gregg distributors. Grote and a few other brands they carry likely make them.

Actually you gave me an idea, I might be able to source them myself through work. If not I'll drop by Greggs and check out. Thanks.

Mooseykins, have you seriously checked into immigration? It is one of those things the news sort of makes you believe is practically impossible unless you are a pro athelete, gazzilionaire, refugee or a super in demand profession.

I know a "normal" guy that came up from New Zealand the past few years and it sounded like a loving nightmare.

Just going from what I've heard, I have no first hand knowledge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went straight to o/o and paid $37,000 for my first year's insurance, not something i would suggest.

You might be able to do a working holiday thing if you're under 30, get a license, start running long-haul, and get permanent residency through AINP.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

slidebite posted:

Mooseykins, have you seriously checked into immigration? It is one of those things the news sort of makes you believe is practically impossible unless you are a pro athelete, gazzilionaire, refugee or a super in demand profession.

I know a "normal" guy that came up from New Zealand the past few years and it sounded like a loving nightmare.

Just going from what I've heard, I have no first hand knowledge.

Yeah, i've been looking into it on and off for about 10 years. It's something that is often made to sound like it's quite straight-forward like "Are you a skilled worked on our list of in-demand trades? Well if so, come on right in!"

In reality it's jumping through loving hoops, jobs lined up prior to application, limited places, points-based assesments, etc. Also, every time you read something about it, you read something else and they conflict, so it's loving difficult to determine what is true and what isn't, what jobs are on the list of in-demand, what any of the process is.

I think when i have my poo poo together i'll pay an immigration lawyer to explain it and get it set up for me. That increases your chances too by having someone who knows the ins and outs of it all, but it comes at a price.

I actually have a good deal at the moment with my current job (sub-contractor courier) and because i'm cheap as gently caress i can hopefully start saving now that i've paid almost all my debt off. I want to be off this sinking island in 2 years.

Surely one of you Canadians wants to marry me, right?

Powershift posted:

I went straight to o/o and paid $37,000 for my first year's insurance, not something i would suggest.

:stare: And i thought my £4,500/year was bad. (Car, van, goods in transit, public liability, employer's liability.)

Powershift posted:

You might be able to do a working holiday thing if you're under 30, get a license, start running long-haul, and get permanent residency through AINP.

That's what i'm thinking.

2-3 week vacation
Get a licence (is that possible?)
Apply for working holiday visa
Become truck driver
Piss jugs
?????
Profit

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 16, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You have to apply for the visa from outside the country, and it could take months to be approved. You also risk at the end of it not being allowed to stay and being out the cost of getting the license.

I would say your first step is contact some of the larger long-haul companies, i'm sure they have tons of experience with this kind of stuff. There are a lot of russian, polish and indian truck drivers here.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

You have to apply for the visa from outside the country, and it could take months to be approved. You also risk at the end of it not being allowed to stay and being out the cost of getting the license.

Yeah, the problem is that none of it seems very clear, what the process is and all that. Cost of the licence isn't a huge deal, but i'll find out what order to do that stuff in first.

Powershift posted:

I would say your first step is contact some of the larger long-haul companies, i'm sure they have tons of experience with this kind of stuff. There are a lot of russian, polish and indian truck drivers here.

Yeah, good shout. Looking into it before it seems that i might need prior experience in truck driving, which is do-able. A friend of mine has said that if i get my Class 2 (rigid) licence he can almost certainly get me into a job at his place quickly, but that takes me down from like 40-45k to 27k.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

H&R Transport down here in Lethrbidge is constantly advertising for people. There was an armed lock-down at their office Friday too so who knows, there might be even more openings! :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1987-nissan-300zx-turbo-t-tops-fully-loaded-mint/1094208791?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is a good deal if the body is as good as he says it is.

Unmolested 87-88 2 seater Turbos are a rare find for a reasonable price.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mooseykins posted:

As powershift will attest, the northern Alberta oilpatch trucking scenario is sort of a bubble. It's not really like this anywhere else in the world. With a few years offroad experience in the patch you kinda just choose which company gets the privilege of hiring you. As a company driver starting wage at my company is $38/hr, and $57 an hour after 10 hrs. If you plan your day right you can get your first 14 hours in actually working, and then get 10 hours wait time at a disposal facility where you sleep and still get paid. That's 24 hours paid in a day, 14 of which are overtime rate, and you don't even have to lie on your logbook. Work as many of those as you can before you are burnt out then take a few days off.

That's $1178 per day before taxes rape you from every end.

Now keep in mind not every day works out like that. There will be lots of days with nothing to do, or no wait times, and realistically I can only pull an 18 hour day of real work before becoming a danger. Driving in a snow storm offroad is fatiguing.

Everywhere else in Canada that isn't here you're looking at something like $22/hr for a decent union job in town, or $.46 per mile for long haul.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jonathan posted:

As powershift will attest, the northern Alberta oilpatch trucking scenario is sort of a bubble. It's not really like this anywhere else in the world. With a few years offroad experience in the patch you kinda just choose which company gets the privilege of hiring you. As a company driver starting wage at my company is $38/hr, and $57 an hour after 10 hrs. If you plan your day right you can get your first 14 hours in actually working, and then get 10 hours wait time at a disposal facility where you sleep and still get paid. That's 24 hours paid in a day, 14 of which are overtime rate, and you don't even have to lie on your logbook. Work as many of those as you can before you are burnt out then take a few days off.

That's $1178 per day before taxes rape you from every end.

Now keep in mind not every day works out like that. There will be lots of days with nothing to do, or no wait times, and realistically I can only pull an 18 hour day of real work before becoming a danger. Driving in a snow storm offroad is fatiguing.

Everywhere else in Canada that isn't here you're looking at something like $22/hr for a decent union job in town, or $.46 per mile for long haul.

drat, that's pretty loving sweet. What do you need (experience-wise) to get into trucking out that way? a couple years of OTR driving or something before you can get a start in the oil patch?

Not too worried about being raped by taxes, standard of living there is still much better and much cheaper than this shithole, and i've paid very little tax in the last few years by.. making very little money. (And having expenses, which i can write off against tax.)

I just can't wait to get out of here, but it looks like it's gonna be a loving nightmare to do, and i might have to drop into a truck driving job here that pays utter poo poo just to be eligible to leave.

(For example one of our big haulage firms running Class 1/articulated trucks pays something like £8.75/h and doesn't pay your nights when you're parked up.)

Thanks for the help/advice guys, much appreciated. :)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 16, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Just to throw 2 cents into here, a buddy works for Bison and really likes them, and they do (or at least have) brought people from overseas over. Usually just requires a "work for us for X hours/months/years/whatever, or pay back what we spent on you if you quit" type of clause. Might be worth a conversation!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Mooseykins, I, personally, would welcome you to Canada with open arms, but I'm way off in the tail of that distribution. Interesting fact, the cabinet-position Minister of Immigration now comes with the authority to grant Canadian citizenship at will. When I am Minister of Immigration I'm gonna have a list of all current applicants on a dartboard in my office.

Anyway, sounds like you're motivated, and certainly your not the first to come up with a plan like that. Good luck, I'm hoping to see you on the road here sometime.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

GF and I will be driving to Vancouver for vacation in a couple of weeks. The itinerary is still up in the air but we'll be stopping at the Royal Tyrell Museum for sure (for the second time since the town was in a state of emergency the last time we came) and Lethbridge maybe (I want to pick up some sound deadener from BQuiet.)

Any recommendations for places to camp/things to see? Last time we bummed around Edmonton and camped at Dinosaur Provincial Park.

Look back a few pages for slidebite's drone videos near the Frank slide and Crowsnest pass - beautiful area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Sorry, totally missed this. Crowsnest Pass is indeed gorgeous but don't forget Waterton. The townsite sort of reminds me of Jasper when I was a kid in the early 80s. Glacier is right on the border too if that interests you. If you're driving to Vancouver, do yourself a favor and take the Crowsnest (#3) instead of the Trans Canada. It will probably take you a bit longer but it is far more enjoyable and not as much of a rat race. Ainsworth Hotsprings is kind of a neat place to spend the night. A few hours outside of Lethbridge, just north of Nelson, but have some really nice hotsprings including one which is sort-of an underground grotto.

If you are killing some time in the Lethbridge area, be sure and stop at the Alberta Birds of Prey center in Coaldale just a few minutes east of town. They have some fantastic displays of Raptors/Owls and probably one of the most underrated wildlife places in Alberta IMHO. Definitely worth killing an hour or two and they are a really good cause.