Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

If you don't have evidence, you can make a speech check of 55.

Does that just have you complete the quest, I was under the impression to get Boone as a follower you'd have to finger the correct person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Sorry, I've never actually tried it since you might as well ransack the safe when you do the quest, so I couldn't tell you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LionYeti posted:

Does that just have you complete the quest, I was under the impression to get Boone as a follower you'd have to finger the correct person.

It doesn't matter whom you pick. As long as you pass the Speech check, Boone will accompany you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Finally playing through Lonesome Road. Enjoying the gameplay but just gotta ask... what the heck was Avellone smoking while writing Ulysses?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smol posted:

Finally playing through Lonesome Road. Enjoying the gameplay but just gotta ask... what the heck was Avellone smoking while writing Ulysses?

Page fragments from Damnation Alley.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Smol posted:

what the heck was Avellone smoking while writing Ulysses?

The Bear. The Bull. The Divide. The Bear. The Bull. The Divide. The Be-

Cool voice though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The Bear. The Bull. The Divide. The Bear. The Bull. The Divide. The Be-

Cool voice though.

Ulysses is the guy from the Kids in the Hall's bass player skit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fun fact: Ulysses' voice actor also does the Biological Research Station in Old World Blues.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Ulysses was so incredibly self-absorbed that the entire DLC became a complete anticlimax when I realized I could talk him down just by appealing to his sense of melodrama. Seriously, just constantly tell him the most overblown dramatic tripe you can think of, and he'll always back down in the face of the 'strength of your convictions.' I like to imagine my Courier was just mentally rolling his eyes every time he spoke to Ulysses.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

trick shot old Glory out his hands and beat the gently caress outta him with it, he deserves no less

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ulysses is cool, even though I think that whole DLC could have used an editor. You're supposed to find him slightly ridiculous, since he's an insane man with a revenge fantasy. He's also the other side of the player character, and would in fact be the player character if he hadn't refused to the Platinum Chip delivery.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Ulysses is cool, even though I think that whole DLC could have used an editor. You're supposed to find him slightly ridiculous, since he's an insane man with a revenge fantasy. He's also the other side of the player character, and would in fact be the player character if he hadn't refused to the Platinum Chip delivery.

Benny wouldn't have shot him after being lectured about the Bear and the Bull due to falling asleep.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ive played through lonesome road twice and read the article on wikia about ulysses and I still dont understand him or the dlc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

im pooping! posted:

ive played through lonesome road twice and read the article on wikia about ulysses and I still dont understand him or the dlc

You did a thing a while ago and some bad stuff happened after that and Ulysses got really mad at you for it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I still don't even believe that Ulysses is telling the truth to/about you, he seems crazy and is projecting or making stuff up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm pretty certain that's a big part of it. It's been a while, but isn't Ulysses pretty much directly responsible for the destruction of numerous other tribes (and possibly his own, don't remember specifically) after joining the legion? His history is basically a path of death and destruction and now he's projecting his own guilt onto the courier. While I don't have any reason to doubt what Ulysses says about the courier's history involving the nuclear detonation, it seems likely that he's trying to use the courier as atonement for his own sins.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

I still don't even believe that Ulysses is telling the truth to/about you, he seems crazy and is projecting or making stuff up.

I don't believe him because I'm the courier and I never did that. Show me on camera where I accepted a quest to deliver that thing and went to the Divide. Oh you can't. gently caress you Chris Avellone Ulysses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah, that does actually seem entirely possible in retrospect. Don't a lot of dialog options let you just say "Jesus christ, what the gently caress are you talking about, I've never been here in my life"?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, that does actually seem entirely possible in retrospect. Don't a lot of dialog options let you just say "Jesus christ, what the gently caress are you talking about, I've never been here in my life"?
yep, you can straight up just tell him throughout the entire DLC that you have no loving idea what he is talking about or what this place is and that you're gonna find him and put a bullet in his head to shut him up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You get those dialogue options because it's important to the story that you don't remember the place but if it's important to you that your character be unstained by sin then sure, death of the author.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Whether you went there or not, Ulysses is still projecting hard.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For me it's totally believable I did the nuking since nuking gives sweet loot rewards. The real qustion is if I nuked the place why didn't I have the sweet reward for doing it at the start of the game? Checkmate Ulysses :smug:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He blames you for something you may or may not be indirectly responsible for happening because you happened to have (maybe) carried a thing that kind of sort of caused the destruction of a town that Ulysses really liked for some reason. Maybe they had a really good bar or something. It's important to remember that Ulysses reads way to much into things, for various reasons, including that his tribe inscribed their history in the braiding of their hair, something that has serious significance as his augiologs indicate, when goes freaked out by a tribe copying his braids without understanding what they mean.

Dude blames you for the destruction of his favorite bar and grill, because he has to attach meaning to everything, like the braids, can't let random chance be random. So he ends up transferring his own guilt on to you, which is only multiplied by the fact that you don't give a single gently caress about because it was some random place that you used to stop in at on your way between California and Vegas that had a halfway decent bar, but you weren't particularly fond of because of that brooding rear end in a top hat with the gas mask.

Since then he's had way too much time to think of genius monologues, hoping to convince you of your guilt or something, not realizing you're mostly in it to save your sputnik-shaped robot buddy, something he doesn't realize because he actually doesn't know you or know anything about you, because you're his manifestation of everything wrong and evil in the world, because blaming you is a lot easier than blaming the rest of the wasteland assholes or going after Caesar, who pretty much did have him commit countless atrocities. Or blame himself, for the actual poo poo he did.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in the Divide and Ulysses but it mostly gets missed out on because everyone just wants him to shut the gently caress up so they can get back to murdering deathclaws. Someone a lot smarter and better with words than I has probably posted about him in this very thread, probably more than once, though. Someone should dig that poo poo up.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I read that whole post in Ulysses' voice

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SpookyLizard posted:

Someone a lot smarter and better with words than I has probably posted about him in this very thread, probably more than once, though.

Nah, that was perfect. :allears:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I think the crowning moment of Ulysses stupidity is actually in Old World Blues, with the audio logs of him and Christine. Revealing that even while saving the life of a completely unrelated third party, he cannot stop being a melodramatic douche.

"Wow, thank you for saving my life, mysterious stranger. Would you like to have a friendly conversation?"
"No. I just hadn't monologued to anyone in a while. Was starting to get the jitters again. Now sit quietly while I tell you why everything you believe is wrong and stupid, while offering no better suggestions of my own. You might want to get comfortable. It takes me a while to say anything because of how slowly and dramatically I talk."
"Wow, that sounds like something I would not be interested in at all."
"Too bad. You'll do it anyway. Because I'm Avellone's favorite."

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

christine was perfect specifically because she couldnt talk

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

im pooping! posted:

No joke, having to interpret all of her gestures was pretty fun. Still think its lame I couldn't bring her back to the Mojave.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

im pooping! posted:

I still love that if you say to Christine that her charades-shtick is tiresome, her reaction is to frown and raise her middle-finger at you. Complete with animation.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

christine veronica fanfic itt

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raygereio posted:

I still love that if you say to Christine that her charades-shtick is tiresome, her reaction is to frown and raise her middle-finger at you. Complete with animation.

Haha really? I never saw that because I was trying to be nice. :(

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Ulysses can gently caress right off, Ed-E is the best character in that DLC. Probably the best character in any of the DLC's, really.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My Nightkin Grandmother would like to have a word with you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dean Domino is the best for being an absolute bastard.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
And having a delightful voice.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Started my first hardcore/Project Nevada run. It really is a completely different game. I was able to take down the NCRCF gang and Vulpes Inculta's cohort fairly smoothly because I went in with a plan (med-x/psycho, hide behind a door), but then got wrecked by a random Viper ambush. Eating, sleeping, and drinking water are more annoying than anything. Ammo weight is also annoying especially since the 9mm SMG seems to be my strongest weapon, but makes sense.

I also somehow have ~3500 caps and just got to Novac, which is way more than I've ever had at this point in vanilla runs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Now head to the Quarry and clear out the death claws with your 9mm SMG.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

Started my first hardcore/Project Nevada run. It really is a completely different game. I was able to take down the NCRCF gang and Vulpes Inculta's cohort fairly smoothly because I went in with a plan (med-x/psycho, hide behind a door), but then got wrecked by a random Viper ambush. Eating, sleeping, and drinking water are more annoying than anything. Ammo weight is also annoying especially since the 9mm SMG seems to be my strongest weapon, but makes sense.

I also somehow have ~3500 caps and just got to Novac, which is way more than I've ever had at this point in vanilla runs.

I'm doing a similar run, only have a few more mods:

The game is brutal. Two or three enemies will murder me unless I play smart. Every single encounter.

I added the timescale mod to make eating and drinking less of a chore. Time goes by at 1/3rd of vanilla, meaning I have to eat and drink pretty rarely.

I am enjoying the game a lot more this way than vanilla, but then again I play survival games for fun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So what exactly is so bad about Mothership Zeta? I hear it's really, really, really bad but I want alien guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
imagine a sewer level filled with nigh-indistinguishable enemies - forever