Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Youngblood. WildCATS was Jim Lee, which meant the art was occasionally not completely awful.

Oddly, Alan Moore eventually did a writing stint on both.

In the case of Supreme, at least, one of his stipulations for agreeing to write the character was that he would be allowed to ignore the entire series up to his first issue because he thought it was terrible.

Don't know if he did the same thing with Youngblood or WildC.A.T.S. because I've not read either, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the case of Supreme, at least, one of his stipulations for agreeing to write the character was that he would be allowed to ignore the entire series up to his first issue because he thought it was terrible.

Don't know if he did the same thing with Youngblood or WildC.A.T.S. because I've not read either, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I originally read that as "He could ignore everything up to the first issue" which seemed a little extreme. Like the whole run is poo poo, you'd better just let him start it fresh.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Wheat Loaf posted:

He did on Youngblood (which was a Supreme spin-off), but WildC.A.T.S. built off of what came before, and was really quite good. It's a shame it's so often overlooked. My favorite bit was that the war between planets Khera and Daemon which served as the springboard for the series and its mutants had been over for thousands of years. Those evil Daemonites were now a repressed minority, and the Kherubim were prejudiced elitists. As the WildC.A.T.S. dealt with that rude awakening (i.e. Voodoo had to live in the ghetto due to her Daemonite heritage, Spartan was an outdated model), a new team was formed on Earth and dealt with a war between old-school superheroes and nihilistic vigilantes. A key location to all this was Clark's, a superhero bar run by a large, kindly old man with a spit-curl and glasses.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I've only read a review summary of the Youngblood story, but it seemed like a good idea, blossoming ideas hinted at in the Supreme run about ramifications from the fictional previous ages of the Image super universe. Unfortunately, rather than following the Supreme run's style of having very carefully chosen art styles to create a love letter to all of comics history, Rob just drew the stuff himself and undercut all the quality.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

joehonkie posted:

Rob Liefeld is where 1963 comes from and Supreme, so I guess I should be grateful?

Speaking of 1963, worst catchphrase ever:

1963 #1 - Mystery Inc.

Alan Moore you can do better.

I had this comic. Or A comic with that guy. It came in a random comics grab bag for like a dollar at some dollar store.

It was a hilariously transparent Fantastic Four rip off. They had the Living Planet instead of Thing, the had Crystal Man as the extending scientist, they had Neon Gas Woman, and the younger kid who could turn into electricity (thwarted by the sprinkler system).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Section Z posted:

I had this comic. Or A comic with that guy. It came in a random comics grab bag for like a dollar at some dollar store.

It was a hilariously transparent Fantastic Four rip off. They had the Living Planet instead of Thing, the had Crystal Man as the extending scientist, they had Neon Gas Woman, and the younger kid who could turn into electricity (thwarted by the sprinkler system).

:thejoke:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've had this in my folders for awhile.

Giant bunnies are four times as dangerous as an oncoming train.

One of the really early issues of Excalibur.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 14, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

WickedHate posted:

And not just any giant bunny.

Based on the pocket watch he's swinging and his natty attire, I believe that's the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

Why it's the White Rabbit is a whole 'nother question.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's part of a Mad Jim Jaspers arc

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Nah, just Arcade.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

goatface posted:

That looks to be from Excalibur #4.

Arcade hires the Crazy Gang to kidnap someone then mindswaps them with the members of Excalibur because Claremont.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Also not sure what that look says about Brian or Meggan (I assume that's who it is), considering how the latter's powers worked at the time.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, it's Arcade, and he's teaming up with the Crazy Gang to put Courtney Ross through a Wonderland-themed Murderworld.

And it's all drawn by Alan Davis, so the art is all very pretty.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 14, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, we really are.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I've only read a review summary of the Youngblood story, but it seemed like a good idea, blossoming ideas hinted at in the Supreme run about ramifications from the fictional previous ages of the Image super universe. Unfortunately, rather than following the Supreme run's style of having very carefully chosen art styles to create a love letter to all of comics history, Rob just drew the stuff himself and undercut all the quality.
No he didn't. Steve Skroce drew it. It featured the younger characters (Suprema! Twilight the Girl Marvel! Big Brother! And yeah, Shaft, too...) but only lasted a couple of issues.

Liefeld did draw a bunch of the Judgment Day crossover though, which sounds like what you're talking about (Gil Kane as The Imagineer, amidst a superhero murder trial). That was rough.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Kalli posted:

That looks to be from Excalibur #4.

Arcade hires the Crazy Gang to kidnap someone then mindswaps them with the members of Excalibur because Claremont.

I miss the Crazy Gang and Technet so much. I kept hoping for a Technet cameo during Annihilation but no such luck :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress it. Liefeld gave us Prophet which gave is the amazing new Prophet revival and Glory so it's all good.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Liefeld does deserve credit for creating characters that others made awesome. Deadpool is the classic example. I bet someone could take Smash and make something out of it...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dario the Wop posted:

Liefeld does deserve credit for creating characters that others made awesome. Deadpool is the classic example. I bet someone could take Smash and make something out of it...

Liefeld is so completely shameless. Like, every time I think I've seen it all I find out about some other bizarrely stupid thing he did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

Wow, even for Liefeld that's pretty goddamn lazy.

Did Not-Captain-America shrink to like six inches tall in that second panel?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, even for Liefeld that's pretty goddamn lazy.

Did Not-Captain-America shrink to like six inches tall in that second panel?

Uh. The purple dude is explicitly saying that his anger is causing him to grow larger in that panel.

Like it's impressive that in a panel rife with Liefeldisms you managed to criticize the one thing that isn't an error.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

joehonkie posted:

I was reading through an article on Rob Liefeld's worst drawings.

(some issue of Youngblood)

What is even going on with Troll's anatomy there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fair is fair though, Smash is Liefeld's blatant ripoff of Hulk sure. But Fighting American is a blatant ripoff of Cap created by... Jack Kirby and Joe Simon. Shameless ripoffs aren't a new thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The line between homages and ripoffs are pretty blurry when it comes to Liefeld. I mean it's clear that 1963 is a homage but given how much actual copying he did it's so fuzzy when it comes to Rob's work.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can get away with being a straight-up ripoff if you're good enough.

Oreo supplanted Hydrox, Batman is way better known than The Shadow will ever be again, Candy Crush is monumentally popular while the original whatever game and all the Tetris Attack-style games before it won't, and so on.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Fair is fair though, Smash is Liefeld's blatant ripoff of Hulk sure. But Fighting American is a blatant ripoff of Cap created by... Jack Kirby and Joe Simon. Shameless ripoffs aren't a new thing.

I'm not the most savvy person here for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Fighting American didn't have a shield until Liefeld got his hands on him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also, Liefeld was just going to make his own Agent America until Simon threatened to sue him.

So he licensed Fighting American, gave him a shield and got sued by Marvel.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Uh. The purple dude is explicitly saying that his anger is causing him to grow larger in that panel.

Like it's impressive that in a panel rife with Liefeldisms you managed to criticize the one thing that isn't an error.
I think my mind tried to parse that terrible font with my foreknowledge of the common Hulk statement that Rob changed two words in and got confused.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
And Fighting American was a 1950's satire of Captain America and McCarthyism, wasn't it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde #2:

I love the New Mutdroids so much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So that's 616 StarLord?

Oh Cannonbot. :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

So that's 616 StarLord?

Oh Cannonbot. :3:

Yeah, he was on Reed's lifeboat thingee.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dario the Wop posted:

That's not Smash, that's the Incredible Plum!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I love the 'focused totality of my psychic powers' reference too, almost more so because it's being used for Dani Moonbot rather than Psylocke so you know that Sam Humphries was determined to get it in there alongside Cannonbot's original programming and the other New Mutants references.

I also really hope Alti Firmansyah does more work for Marvel after Secret Wars, her art is wonderful.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Dario the Wop posted:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That's the weirdest-looking dump I ever took.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

WickedHate posted:

Apparently Meggan doesn't know what "lovers" means.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Apparently Meggan doesn't know what "lovers" means.

In fairness to Meggan, he did just get so angry about Courtney getting kidnapped that he literally popped out of his shirt. This is also just a few pages after Meggan flirts with Nightcrawler, so I suspect part of this might be a guilty conscience on her part.

For some content, here's the cover:

I love Alan Davis Excalibur covers.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Keromaru5 posted:

In fairness to Meggan, he did just get so angry about Courtney getting kidnapped that he literally popped out of his shirt. This is also just a few pages after Meggan flirts with Nightcrawler, so I suspect part of this might be a guilty conscience on her part.

For some content, here's the cover:

I love Alan Davis Excalibur covers.

He also did use to bang Courtney