Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

They look the same to me.

Blackface in cosplay is always a sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tracula posted:

So. Honest question. Even if I can supply my own horse teeth how much would a full-on Immortan Joe cosplay cost?

Including or excluding the bail money?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Patattack posted:

There's a thread at the Replica Prop Forum (not sure if a membership is necessary to read it) where they're going into great detail to identify all of the pieces: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240451

Short version, on top of the mask you'd have to buy a bunch of vintage auto namebadges and hard-to-find pins and patches (or 3D-print copies of them), old Nokia circuit boards, various nuts and bolts, pistons, bicycle chain... The clear armor itself is probably easiest to make from transparent thermoplastic Worbla (~$100 for one torso-sized sheet, probably need a couple) molded over Roman muscle armor ($70 on Amazon). And then there's the boots, the bellows attached to the mask, and the guns/holsters...

All of this except save yourself some money and buy sheet PETG instead because it is hilariously cheaper than Worbla TranspArt and does basically the same stuff

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/GmcIDxp.jpg slightly :nws:

Somebody has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
She really shouldn't have gotten that haircut :ohdear:.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She really shouldn't have gotten that haircut :ohdear:.

I like the haircut. It's a good haircut.

I also don't know anything about hair.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the joke is that bayonetta's clothes are made out of her magical hair

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Uh.... Uummmmm.
That's really good.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Huh, apparently this was part of Nintendo's marketing strategy for Bayonetta 2. They had Platinum team up with Playboy.

Rest of the shots here http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-and-playboy-team-up-to-promote-bayonetta-2

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Those first four shots, with the moon background :pwn:

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

VendaGoat posted:

Uh.... Uummmmm.
That's really good.

I don't play LoL, but my friend showed me this promo video for the Jinx character as a piece of legitimately good short animation, and yeah she really seems to capture the spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlJuwO0GDs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's really impressive how a few key details-- the lipstick, the eyebrows, the contacts--sell the character beyond "the iconography matches."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moacher posted:

I don't play LoL, but my friend showed me this promo video for the Jinx character as a piece of legitimately good short animation, and yeah she really seems to capture the spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlJuwO0GDs

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The only time I've ever seen that character is from one of the avatar's on this forum. I didn't even know the character or which game she was from. But I still recognized her - so good job I guess.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

McPantserton posted:

All of this except save yourself some money and buy sheet PETG instead because it is hilariously cheaper than Worbla TranspArt and does basically the same stuff

Noted! Thank you for the tip, this will be helpful once I start getting full-bore into my own Immortan Joe costume. Although...if I want PETG on the thicker side (so my armor doesn't bend all over the place), is it still going to be cheaper?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Scyantific posted:

Huh, apparently this was part of Nintendo's marketing strategy for Bayonetta 2. They had Platinum team up with Playboy.

Rest of the shots here http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-and-playboy-team-up-to-promote-bayonetta-2

1. I thought she was cosplaying as Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2

2. Pic's been here since yesterday and nobody has screamed "TRIGGER DISCIPLINE" yet

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

1. I thought she was cosplaying as Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2

2. Pic's been here since yesterday and nobody has screamed "TRIGGER DISCIPLINE" yet

there's a trigger in the picture?
:goonsay:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Patattack posted:

Noted! Thank you for the tip, this will be helpful once I start getting full-bore into my own Immortan Joe costume. Although...if I want PETG on the thicker side (so my armor doesn't bend all over the place), is it still going to be cheaper?

Ask all your questions on the Cosplay Thread (in DIY and Hobbies). There are a lot of resources and talented people there who can answer just about anything.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Patattack posted:

That's a hard comparison because as far as I know the transpart only comes in one unspecified thickness. But like the Worbla ~30x40 transparent sheet is $67 and a sheet of 24x48 .040 thick PETG sheet is less than $25 on my fast lazy Amazon search.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Make fun of me if you have to, but man, I just don't get MOBA culture at all. Like, whenever I look at any footage of like, LOL or whatever, it all looks the same, with tiny, poorly detailed characters with barely any animation frames even. Yet at the same time there's all these huge cults of popularity around all the many obscure characters and their personalities (which don't appear to be actually displayed in game, correct me if I'm wrong) and all these videos like the Jinx one linked above, and I find myself highly doubting the videos are at all representative of gameplay (outside of you know, her shooting stuff). Are they so big in the cosplay world because their variety and concept art is so detailed that they still look cool while having a reduced chance of running into someone else as that character? I really don't get it. :iiam:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Choco1980 posted:

Make fun of me if you have to, but man, I just don't get MOBA culture at all. Like, whenever I look at any footage of like, LOL or whatever, it all looks the same, with tiny, poorly detailed characters with barely any animation frames even. Yet at the same time there's all these huge cults of popularity around all the many obscure characters and their personalities (which don't appear to be actually displayed in game, correct me if I'm wrong) and all these videos like the Jinx one linked above, and I find myself highly doubting the videos are at all representative of gameplay (outside of you know, her shooting stuff). Are they so big in the cosplay world because their variety and concept art is so detailed that they still look cool while having a reduced chance of running into someone else as that character? I really don't get it. :iiam:

When a character has a good voice and/or consistent theme in appearance or even gameplay, the fandom of the game pretty much makes their own canon for the characters, which develops into that character's de-facto personality. It might not even be anything close to what the developers intended.

For instance, a typical player as Natures Prophet in Dota 2 will often spend the game wasting his time gathering gold and maybe helping out the team here or there (if he can be bothered). Ergo, the fandom deemed his personality to be that of a self-absorbed corporate toolbag who just wants more money, which really makes no sense in the face of what he's intended to be - the Lorax.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Choco1980 posted:

Chalk it up to Autism.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

In LoL Riot Games writes little lore bits for each character and does lore themed events. Several of the characters are connected by species location or shared past events. Obviously it's not the same as a JRPG but, there's enough lore and personality via voice acting abilities and mannerisms that you get a feel for the characters enough in terms of a personality that it's certainly within reason to cosplay them.

No idea about DotA as I have not played it. HoS derives it's characters from other games so their stories are already written.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Choco1980 posted:

Don't worry about not understanding mobas. I play them and am definitely a fan of LOL and DOTA and I still don't think you should worry if it's impenetrable to you. It's probably for the best. In LoLs case the characters get a lot of art, lore, and they have a lot of in-game quotes and emotes too. Like, Jinx has a music video so that does a lot to establish her character. The video is also surprisingly representative though not exactly of how play as her goes. The weapons she uses in the video are all moves she has in-game. Well, except for the rocket surfing.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Guys why does everyone love Gordon Freeman and Link and Chell so much I don't get it jeez.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just like Gordon Freeman in real life he's a good character that says what needs to be said and moves on

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Boomerjinks posted:

Guys why does everyone love Gordon Freeman and Link and Chell so much I don't get it jeez.

Because they don't talk...?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm just like Gordon Freeman in real life he's a good character that says what needs to be said and moves on

The strong silent types.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mobas in general, but especially League of Legends, are basically cult of personality the video game. The actual storyline of League of Legends is basically e-sports via sorcery. Disputes in this world are settled in arcane gladiatorial combat by teams of five summoners (i.e, the players). The summoners are drawing from a big pool of heroes, villains, monsters, ghosts, kings, etc which all have volunteered to take part in these fights. They are the celebrities of that world. "Runeterra", I wanna say? (google confirms.)

Mechanics-wise, the games themselves are played in the RTS format, which was intended for the control of many units of soldiers but now just controls one. The biggest decision you make in the game is which character you're going to be, and then when you're playing you tend to develop very strong emotional reactions toward certain characters (both positive and negative).

Just the sight of this motherfucker right here raises my blood pressure a little bit.

League of legends is also the most played videogame in the world, so there's that.

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Aug 14, 2015

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Mobas in general, but especially League of Legends, are basically cult of personality the video game. The actual storyline of League of Legends is basically e-sports via sorcery. Disputes in this world are settled in arcane gladiatorial combat by teams of five summoners (i.e, the players). The summoners are drawing from a big pool of heroes, villains, monsters, ghosts, kings, etc which all have volunteered to take part in these fights. They are the celebrities of that world. "Runeterra", I wanna say? (google confirms.)

Mechanics-wise, the games themselves are played in the RTS format, which was intended for the control of many units of soldiers but not just controls one. The biggest decision you make in the game is which character you're going to be, and then when you're playing you tend to develop very strong emotional reactions toward certain characters (both positive and negative).

Just the sight of this motherfucker right here raises my blood pressure a little bit.

League of legends is also the most played videogame in the world, so there's that.

Enough to buy the official Jessica Nigri branded Teemo hat?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

CAPTAIN TEEMO ON DUTY

Alternately
CAPTAIN TEEMO ON DUTY

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Urge to punch baby

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Urge to punch baby

You take that one, I'll "hit" the other

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Choco1980 posted:

None of those things are true of LoL (nor Dota, for that matter). Maybe true of launch era LoL or original Dotes, but certainly not anymore. People would probably latch onto characters regardless, but the effort put into making every character look cool and play cool is a pretty big part of getting people hooked on these games. And as said, they also tend to have large dialogue pools filled out by professional voice work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's because the games are popular. That's it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
People like stuff, so what?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
If they don't like what I like, then obviously they are wrong!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's okay to like stuff. I like stuff too!

For instance!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

BattleCattle posted:

It's okay to like stuff. I like stuff too!

For instance!

Mega Man is hard to do right. That one is drat good, but he still looks strange. I bet if the fabric between armor plates was more textured it would look better, but still, really solid work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Weird, that's in like an uncanny valley of cosplay. It looks good, but something about it seems off.

• Locked thread