Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was reading about zirtual but I was under the impression no one was fired. the articles said that the company ran out of money but then was saved at the last minute because startup.co bought them.

the startup.co purchase only happened after the zirtual ceo sent the closing-shop email to the ZAs, who did lose their jobs but are now being offered the chance to come back to the new company... as 1099s. zirtual also emailed all customers to tell them the service was being "paused". that's actually how the startup.co guy found out about it, lol

they are gonna try to restart the service on monday iirc, but any employee or customer who goes back to zirtual after this is a fool

edit: also it's not clear that C-level personnel will be saved either. maren was asked if she'll be continuing with the company under startups.co and she basically said "idk we haven't discussed that yet". sounds like an asset fire sale, with the main assets being the customer list and any data collected from those customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/11/markhor-takes-the-middleman-out-of-designer-shoemaking/

:ironicat:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the startup.co purchase only happened after
edit: also it's not clear that C-level personnel will be saved either. maren was asked if she'll be continuing with the company under startups.co and she basically said "idk we haven't discussed that yet". sounds like an asset fire sale, with the main assets being the customer list and any data collected from those customers
after what happened, id hope not but #startuplife

I also read something about the ceo saying it was her mom that was asking for and collecting subscription fees from clients up until they went under?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“Our goal is to create a computer for dogs,” said Eidus. “We believe that in the very near future, dog products will connect to the Internet of Things and there is an opportunity to invent a user interface and applications specifically designed for dogs.”
:suicide:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought that was from an onion article

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
fitbark, tagg, whistle,

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

edit: also it's not clear that C-level personnel will be saved either. maren was asked if she'll be continuing with the company under startups.co and she basically said "idk we haven't discussed that yet".

i really hope not...i've been reminded of what i know of her and it's a mess.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

super genius sam a does it again!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

"launched a Kickstarter that brought in over $107,000 from 508 backers in two months."

what the gently caress

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

"launched a Kickstarter that brought in over $107,000 from 508 backers in two months."

what the gently caress

the shoes are like 250 dollars a pair and they look awful

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there's a series of pando articles about zirtual, and about being honest about the state of one's business in general, over the last few days and here are some share links:

Sources: Zirtual founders hid financial mess from investors. Next: Hasty acquisition deal to save jobs
Here’s what’s really going on at the imploded virtual assistant startup.
https://pando.com/2015/08/11/source...1505cdd5a74fad/

zirtual investor, a couple days prior posted:

Of the 150 investments I've made, you're definitely in the top 10% of tenaciousness... When I invested in you I knew that no matter what happens you were going to go down fighting with this business. If we have another 9/11 or there's a market crash, I just feel safe having you as an investment because I know you're going to grind it out and you're going to come through the other side… You have an $11 million run rate business now. It's just extraordinary. I think the investment community has probably missed this investment. I think they really should be more focused on it. I consider you like a sleeper. At some point the investment community is going to look at this like, well this could be similar to an Uber or Lyft…

“Bummer”
Zirtual's rosy sounding "acquisition" was really a fire sale in which hundreds of employees got burned and the founder might be gone.
https://pando.com/2015/08/12/bummer/4f204fc73f679f6c1c4844a253865480746d037f/

quote:

I’m hearing from former Zirtual employees that they are being offered to return only as contractors, not W2 employees. Former Zirtual employees had their healthcare benefits cancelled the moment the company announced its collapse. There’s no sign those benefits are ever coming back.

Get ready: We’re going to see more GigaOms, Quirkys, and Zirtuals. Here’s why...
The ugly downside side of the VC’s new “social game.”
https://pando.com/2015/08/12/get-ready-were-going-see-more-gigaoms-quirkys-and-zirtuals-heres-why/4f27aa2ba739dfc6d145781fc7f389a4a99e4fd5/

quote:

In an age where the cult of the founder is the highest I’ve ever seen it, Valley VCs are obsessed with what reality TV calls “the social game.” As Bill Gurley says, every time a VC’s lips are moving, he’s marketing. Given a failing company is going to be written off anyway, it does little good for a VC to look “anti-entrepreneur” by applying any tough love at all trying to salvage it.

quote:

Employees, reporters, and other investors beware: When someone tells you a company in their portfolio is doing great and you should totally invest, they may not be lying, but odds are they also don’t have the information to back that up. They aren’t making a statement as an informed investor. They are cheerleading to look good to the next potential deal.

Does honesty matter when you're building a company?
https://pando.com/2015/08/13/does-honesty-matter-when-youre-building-company/07903e845f9452456652f40a592400d43ced1a41/

zirtual employee posted:

You told us through so many “update” letters how great Zirtual was doing, how we had so many clients you had to go and hire more ZA’s, how we were going to get raises, and you were buying us new equipment. You came into our team meeting(s) and told us how we were going to go international. You told us you were being transparent so we could know exactly what was going on, but in the “11th hour” you unceremoniously sent an email to all of us saying the doors were closing, we had no jobs, there was nothing more that could be done, but you told the press and the clients that it was a temporary pause and collectively in effect walked away.

they expire in 48 hours. feel free to fwd but please dont spam them too widely thanks. also i recommend getting a subscription if only for the nostalgia of seeing actual journalism occasionally

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 14, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol at $235 for these

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dog toys with batteries. epic

1) when i was a kid our dog (golden retriever) chewed through bricks.

2) dogs are entertained by chewing bricks

epic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also, hell, organic dog food? fail. when i wa s akid, dad put the dog outside at night. its a dog. christ.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my little doggy needs local organic. get bent, bitch!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

i saw a goddamn freestanding refrigerated display of gourmet dogfood + treats at the grocery store the other day

wtf

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i saw a goddamn freestanding refrigerated display of gourmet dogfood + treats at the grocery store the other day

wtf

http://justfoodfordogs.com/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one of this right next to whole foods. fucktards.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
http://www.yelp.com/biz/just-food-for-dogs-west-hollywood-2

*preps dynamite and rocket laucners*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol what's in that "joint care"

$48.95
For Dogs Suffering From:
• Arthritis
• Hip Dysplasia
• Disc Degeneration

• High-Grade, Human Quality Supplement
• Contains 60 Capsules
- See more at: http://justfoodfordogs.com/joint-care.html#sthash.IV0Xnnwn.dpuf

oh it's just vitamins n/m

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wtf

the target near me has this, its insane

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this animal that loves to eat literal garbage and it's own poo poo needs a special snowflake diet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

this animal that loves to eat literal garbage and it's own poo poo needs a special snowflake diet

they eat trash out of the garbage can

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Improbable Lobster posted:

i wish canada had more mortal kombat stages

lmao

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DOSPOS, BITCH!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Triglav posted:

so by 2020 half of all americans will be unemployed

of course not, anyone who has been out of work for too long doesn't count as unemployed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wtf

they had these at safeway when i was in oregon

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FCKGW posted:

the city is 5 years old in october. before it was just endless dairy farms in unincorporated riverside county. census data in 2000 was around 5k, 2010 was 52k.

do you like endless suburbs?

loving horrifying

build up not out

President Sanders please put James Kunstler in charge of all urban planning for America

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just a reminder that there are 65 hat shops in the bay area.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

yeah i say the same thing when i go by the refrigerated dog food section at wholefoods when i am buying organic canned food for my cats!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

username/avatar/post trifecta

wanna pet that dogge

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

i really hope not...i've been reminded of what i know of her and it's a mess.

are you not going to share?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

lol at $235 for these

high-end american / english-made shoes can come in as low as $300

$235 for really basic shoes from an unknown brand based in Pakistan is gonna be a hard road

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i exclusively feed my cat expensive, canned, grain free, high protein food. im in china too, so i have to get it imported from overseas. her daily food cost is higher than most chinese people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

triple sulk posted:

lol at $235 for these

u would think they'd make a flawless pair for the promotional images, but i guess they're disrupting promotion as well as shoe purchasing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Munkeymon posted:

is that Hot Indian Foods or some other place I need to try?

http://www.velleedeli.com/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wtf
was it the one in the whole foods in mountain view?

because the first time i saw that i realized with perfect clarity that we as a species were doomed

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

triple sulk posted:

lol at $235 for these

sweatshop worker: what kind of pattern you

designer: just gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
shoes of that tier need to be resoled before they are worn

not saying that it's of that tier because lol

• Locked thread