Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I figured. Oh well.

Front speakers on a phone are awesome. And an IR remote? Phones sure changed a lot in 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

I just recently upgraded from a htc arrive on a $40 sero premium to a htc one m9. I'm a little disappointed because even though I was 99% sure I would have to pay the extra $10 data the salesman said a few times that my bill wouldn't go up at all. That's what I get for not calling the SERO line.

Not that $10 is a big deal, that's 4 less coffees I should buy a month. It's pretty nice having an android phone though. Even just for little phone things like being able to install the starbucks app and pay with a giftcard.

There's no chance I can call sprint up to complain to get my bill knocked down for a month or two is there?

edit: I thought I got banned posting in this thread, but that must've been the previous thread. I wanted to see my offending post. :(

Sales people can either lie, or are just sloppy and don't know, so you are probably SOL on that. As others mentioned, its still a solid rate.

Cheers and RIP to your Arrive, I have fond memories of it as one of the best Windows phones and best overall productivity phones (meaning just text messages and emails) I have used. And I think most of the 50 people that ever bought the Arrive would agree with me. Better than the Kyocera Echo for sure :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It was a great phone for sure. I rather liked the bing search button, the keyboard, and while there wasn't much to customize I think that ensured that it was always responsive and fast.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have an S4 that's working fine but the S6 and Edge have me tempted to upgrade.

If I trade in the S4, can I get the S6/Edge and stay on my current contract with a new 2 year agreement without paying that $20/mo lease fee?

I'm fine with the contract, I've been with Sprint for almost 15 years so that's not really a big deal to me

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Duckman, just clarifying this is correct from your latest update to the first post.

Sales line for SERO users - 888 882 4030

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

I have an S4 that's working fine but the S6 and Edge have me tempted to upgrade.

If I trade in the S4, can I get the S6/Edge and stay on my current contract with a new 2 year agreement without paying that $20/mo lease fee?

I'm fine with the contract, I've been with Sprint for almost 15 years so that's not really a big deal to me

Yes you can. Sales people will try to discourage you because leases count for 1.5 activations in our metrics and are slightly higher in profit margins.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

How do I get the Note 5 on my Sero plan with the $200 any trade in promo(200samsung)? It errors out when select 2 year contract and try to add to cart. Do I need to call? Can I do promos like that over the phone?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cage posted:

edit: I thought I got banned posting in this thread, but that must've been the previous thread. I wanted to see my offending post. :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3207622&pagenumber=106&perpage=40#post377817541 :ssh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RodShaft posted:

How do I get the Note 5 on my Sero plan with the $200 any trade in promo(200samsung)? It errors out when select 2 year contract and try to add to cart. Do I need to call? Can I do promos like that over the phone?

Yeah you're going to have to try Telesales. Online I think that stuff always requires a "real" plan

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cage posted:

I just recently upgraded from a htc arrive on a $40 sero premium to a htc one m9. I'm a little disappointed because even though I was 99% sure I would have to pay the extra $10 data the salesman said a few times that my bill wouldn't go up at all. That's what I get for not calling the SERO line.

Not that $10 is a big deal, that's 4 less coffees I should buy a month. It's pretty nice having an android phone though. Even just for little phone things like being able to install the starbucks app and pay with a giftcard.

There's no chance I can call sprint up to complain to get my bill knocked down for a month or two is there?

I doubt it by I recently upgraded my phone and had to do a 2 question survey on how it went. Didn't think much of it, but got an email earlier this week offering a $15 service credit. (I said the person who upgraded me was really awesome, however the website is garbage)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Same thing I want to do. I haven't tried yet, though.

My old, old phone is at work and I didn't have the serial number on it to continue past that.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
So it's getting to be the time I start thinking about what phone I'm going to upgrade to, I was just going to get a Note 5 when they came out because I've been really happy with my Note 3, but I just looked it up and realized that it won't have a removable battery or a microsd card.

I could probably survive not having a removable battery, I'm guessing there's probably a way to forcibly power it off if it freezes or gets stuck in a boot loop, but microsd is a deal breaker. The only thing that they have right now that interests me is the LG G4, but it doesn't look like people are making roms for it. I've heard that google might be unveiling some new phones in the next month or two, anything else on the horizon that I missed?

Really what I'm looking for is 1440p+ resolution, at absolute minimum a 5" screen, a microsd slot.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 14, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

So it's getting to be the time I start thinking about what phone I'm going to upgrade to, I was just going to get a Note 5 when they came out because I've been really happy with my Note 3, but I just looked it up and realized that it won't have a removable battery or a microsd card.

I could probably survive not having a removable battery, I'm guessing there's probably a way to forcibly power it off if it freezes or gets stuck in a boot loop, but microsd is a deal breaker. The only thing that they have right now that interests me is the LG G4, but it doesn't look like people are making roms for it. I've heard that google might be unveiling some new phones in the next month or two, anything else on the horizon that I missed?

Really what I'm looking for is 1440p+ resolution, at absolute minimum a 5" screen, a microsd slot.

Samsung got rid of the micro SD slot in favor of side sync which, in theory, should let you wirelessly transfer files between it and a pc/Mac of your choice.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

Same thing I want to do. I haven't tried yet, though.

My old, old phone is at work and I didn't have the serial number on it to continue past that.

I tried with my flip phone, and was denied the promotion. I'd confirm phone eligibility before asking for it.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Wizard of Smart posted:

Samsung got rid of the micro SD slot in favor of side sync which, in theory, should let you wirelessly transfer files between it and a pc/Mac of your choice.

My biggest problem isn't with transferring files, I generally just hook my phone up to my computer to transfer stuff to my microsd slot, it's more that I don't get great cell phone reception and I prefer to buy mp3s and load them on my phone rather than stream. I have a 64gb microsd card in my phone right now that is almost completely full of music and audiobooks, with my internal memory also about 2/3rds full with games and other stuff. I like to surf the web and have all my stuff on my phone at work so I don't have to use my work machine for personal stuff.

Also with how some of the phone games are taking up more and more space 32 gb is tiny.

Edit: Once the 128gb microsd cards come down in price a bit more I'll probably be getting one.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 14, 2015

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Contingency posted:

I tried with my flip phone, and was denied the promotion. I'd confirm phone eligibility before asking for it.

It's a HTC Evo 4G. It was on the drop down list on the promotion site.

Was yours on there too?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

It's a HTC Evo 4G. It was on the drop down list on the promotion site.

Was yours on there too?

Mine was in the list, but I guess they are sticklers about the "smartphone"/"feature phone" distinction.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Maybe the Moto X Pure edition? http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html

Bigass 2560x1440 screen, hefty battery (don't think it's removable though), microSD slot. It's $400 and will work on every carrier. I bought the LG G4, mostly for the camera and microSD, but now I really wish I had known about this phone so I could wait and compare them.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
There are cases for the S6 that have extra battery and MicroSD support. I'm sure there will be Note versions.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I know I can just click the link in my rap sheet but no archives.

Harminoff posted:

I doubt it by I recently upgraded my phone and had to do a 2 question survey on how it went. Didn't think much of it, but got an email earlier this week offering a $15 service credit. (I said the person who upgraded me was really awesome, however the website is garbage)
I skipped that survey at the time because I was happy but Ill go try that out. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Cage posted:

Yeah I know I can just click the link in my rap sheet but no archives.

I didn't even know Archives was still a thing v:shobon:v

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I didn't even know Archives was still a thing v:shobon:v
Well, you had to pay to get access, so thats weird!

*gets banned again

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm going to work on a new post posting about plans. I want to scan the actual plan pamphlet and include it in the post but it's already obsolete so I'm waiting on new ones.

The basic gist of it is this: Sprint wants to lease you phones and get you off of unlimited data, so they are trying different marketing means to push that agenda. The new Family Share Pack plans are touted as "right size" data plans. You select the amount of data you want for your family plan, then based on the data package you add in line access fees, and there's your bill. Lower data packages have higher access fees, so keep that in mind when plan shopping.

There's more - including the "new" all-in plan and why it's not actually new at all - but I'm on the sales floor right now and i'll go into more detail when i get home.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
All the phone companies are so confusing about what plans they offer and what plans are legacy. For instance, I am on a SE plan (Spring Everything) from like 2006 and am grandfathered into almost everything except for the platinum club, which they got rid of. I am trying to figure out why we still get charged for 4G data as premium data. Right now my Bill is about 91 a month for one line. I'm curious if I can do better than that.

I mean seriously hasn't sprint changed their plan line up like 3 times in the past 24 months?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Agreed, if phone companies worked harder on making plans that were simple to understand, instead of making them confusing as gently caress and concentrating on marketing them, it would be a lot better.

I will never lease a phone, I don't know why they are pushing that so hard. Actually, I do. They make more money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Agreed, if phone companies worked harder on making plans that were simple to understand, instead of making them confusing as gently caress and concentrating on marketing them, it would be a lot better.

I will never lease a phone, I don't know why they are pushing that so hard. Actually, I do. They make more money.

Leasing locks the customer in too.

Darkpriest667 posted:

All the phone companies are so confusing about what plans they offer and what plans are legacy. For instance, I am on a SE plan (Spring Everything) from like 2006 and am grandfathered into almost everything except for the platinum club, which they got rid of. I am trying to figure out why we still get charged for 4G data as premium data. Right now my Bill is about 91 a month for one line. I'm curious if I can do better than that.

I mean seriously hasn't sprint changed their plan line up like 3 times in the past 24 months?

Sprint has changed plans and policies a million times in an effort to try and become profitable. They're really hard to keep up with.

FYI the 4G fee is basically a "whoops we didn't realize this cost us so much" fee. As in they lowered plans to get customers, but then realized they couldn't be profitable as they rolled out their 4G network. It also had to do with the Clearwire poo poo, but I'll always be convinced they just didn't do their math right.

I had to look up T-Mobile pricing for my in laws this week, and I gotta give it to them that their plans are really easy to understand. Each like on the plan pays this amount, and add this much extra if they want extra data. Really easy, and it's probably missed by analysts how that probably makes more people switch to them.

I looked at Sprints website to see if I could update the OP, I threw up and just gave up after a few minutes.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Duckman2008 posted:

Leasing locks the customer in too.

Sprint has changed plans and policies a million times in an effort to try and become profitable. They're really hard to keep up with.

FYI the 4G fee is basically a "whoops we didn't realize this cost us so much" fee. As in they lowered plans to get customers, but then realized they couldn't be profitable as they rolled out their 4G network. It also had to do with the Clearwire poo poo, but I'll always be convinced they just didn't do their math right.

I had to look up T-Mobile pricing for my in laws this week, and I gotta give it to them that their plans are really easy to understand. Each like on the plan pays this amount, and add this much extra if they want extra data. Really easy, and it's probably missed by analysts how that probably makes more people switch to them.

I looked at Sprints website to see if I could update the OP, I threw up and just gave up after a few minutes.

the problem is T-mobile's coverage sucks rear end. Every person I know who has them says they have the fastest speed.... the 1% of the time they have data service.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

the problem is T-mobile's coverage sucks rear end. Every person I know who has them says they have the fastest speed.... the 1% of the time they have data service.

Grab a prepaid sim and see if it works for you?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Prescription Combs posted:

Grab a prepaid sim and see if it works for you?

Good call, I have a Nexus 5 on sprint and I wonder if I can just pull the sim in and out and it work on different networks. I'll ask in the google+ group.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

Good call, I have a Nexus 5 on sprint and I wonder if I can just pull the sim in and out and it work on different networks. I'll ask in the google+ group.

It will work!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm in Glasgow with my Nexus 5 and using a local prepaid SIM, getting unlimited 4G.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tmo also has that service where they ship you an iPhone and you get to try it for a week or two. I think they pay shipping both ways.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Still looking to verify what number to call for SERO support.

The first post has a different number than if you google it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krime posted:

Still looking to verify what number to call for SERO support.

The first post has a different number than if you google it.

I've always used 1-866-264-1282.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have to get a new phone and am hoping to figure out which is best to grab right now.

Root is a 100% necessity and I would rather not break warranty by getting it so I am pretty sure the S6 is out. Is the nexus 5 or 6 worthwhile? I wish I could wait until October to replace my phone but unfortunately it is totally dead. Is there something else that I should be looking at?

If the s6 is leaps and bounds better than all others I might go with it but I have heard that the nexus 6 might be somewhat comparable.

I use the Tasker App for a shitload of custom things and a phone without it would be a huge step back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yes, the Nexus 5 and 6 are pretty much your only options for root without breaking warranty. What kind of Tasker things are you doing that require root?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Demonachizer posted:

I have to get a new phone and am hoping to figure out which is best to grab right now.

Root is a 100% necessity and I would rather not break warranty by getting it so I am pretty sure the S6 is out. Is the nexus 5 or 6 worthwhile? I wish I could wait until October to replace my phone but unfortunately it is totally dead. Is there something else that I should be looking at?

If the s6 is leaps and bounds better than all others I might go with it but I have heard that the nexus 6 might be somewhat comparable.

I use the Tasker App for a shitload of custom things and a phone without it would be a huge step back.

After owning a Nexus 5 for a year I'll never own another brand. Samsung has always been poo poo (too much bloatware) and rooting is a pain in the rear end that I don't have time to deal with. Google phones get android updates OTA within days of them being released REGARDLESS of your carrier's policy. I once had a samsung that never got an android system update EVER.. I was still on Eclair when ICS came out because Sprint are a bunch of douches that don't release Android updates even if your phone supports it.

I would definitely recommend a Nexus 6 if you have the cash. You'll almost never find a 5 used. I certainly won't sell mine until I have the Nexus 6 2016 in my hands.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Demonachizer posted:

There isn't much of anything you need root for if you buy the right phone. Nexus 6 would do the trick.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, the Nexus 5 and 6 are pretty much your only options for root without breaking warranty. What kind of Tasker things are you doing that require root?

I think secure settings app requires root and I use that for a bunch of poo poo.

One example is I have something similar to this:

http://tasker.wikidot.com/send-email-with-picture-and-location-after-2-failed-pin-code

that sends me a bunch of info if someone is trying to log into my phone.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

FYI, if anyone is upgrading, this played out for me. I was asked if I wanted device insurance, I declined. Later in the the checkout process, the salesperson noted the $39 upgrade fee. I asked if that could be waived if I bought an accessory. He came back and offered to waive it if I bought the insurance (which can be dropped at any point)... so I did that. Also, they tried charging me shipping, which was free on the online checkout so I challenged that, got free shipping as well.

Saved me about $50