Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It sounds like it's a system like WoW's flex raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Dr Pepper posted:

Presumably there will be some kind of dynamic scaling based off the number of players in it.

They're clearly trying to avoid the problem the Crystal Tower questline has where you have to wait forever in the Duty Finder for 24 people by letting you do it with undersized parties.
If that's the case would it not discourage people from even attempting with 24 players? Why would you want to potentially compete with 23 other players for loot when you could just 8 man it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

vanbags posted:

If that's the case would it not discourage people from even attempting with 24 players? Why would you want to potentially compete with 23 other players for loot when you could just 8 man it?

You never actually competed with 23 other people for anything but the minion.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Vermain posted:

Bots also tend to move in very specific, easy-to-detect ways. They almost always follow a fixed pattern (generally moving in a semi-circle in combat repeatedly for seemingly no reason), will occasionally spend several seconds doing pathfinding calculations, stop very suddenly and jarringly, etc.

The semi-circle in combat thing is actually a feature of the game that locks your camera to the currently selected target and makes it so your character is always facing it. Generally if you only use KB+M you won't run into it but on controller its bound to clicking one of the sticks in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

The semi-circle in combat thing is actually a feature of the game that locks your camera to the currently selected target and makes it so your character is always facing it. Generally if you only use KB+M you won't run into it but on controller its bound to clicking one of the sticks in.

I don't mean specifically just "rotating in a semi circle," but "rotating in a semi circle repeatedly, switching directions every 2 seconds, for no reason." Imagine the most spastic, mob-turning tank you've ever seen and multiply that by about twenty.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

All these dumb "you can tell a bot when it does x" are things I already do when I play. Guess I must be a bot IRL.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

All these dumb "you can tell a bot when it does x" are things I already do when I play. Guess I must be a bot IRL.

The most surefire way to see if someone's a bot is to say "are you a bot" in party chat and if they're not a bot they'll probably answer to avoid being vote kicked for being a bot.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The most surefire way to see if someone's a bot is to say "are you a bot" in party chat and if they're not a bot they'll probably answer to avoid being vote kicked for being a bot.

That's why my bots are programmed to respond no to that :smugdog:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Bots in most MMOs will be set up to trigger when they see text mentioning "bot" and say something to the effect of "i'm not botting wtf".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
a bot can't hope to tank or dps as bad as me in dungeons

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

megalodong posted:

Bots in most MMOs will be set up to trigger when they see text mentioning "bot" and say something to the effect of "i'm not botting wtf".

So are you saying the bots I've played with who didn't answer that question were actually just shy humans?

Oh god, what have I done? I votekicked those poor innocent archers

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

megalodong posted:

Alternatively, I rarely pay attention to party chat when I'm in a DR that is going well enough, I wouldn't even respond to someone who asks. I'm guess as a SMN who is melting everything it has probably never been questioned.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Oh my god I'm trying to complete The Chrysalis for the main story quest and it's loving impossible. I know the mechanics off by heart now, but someone inevitably doesn't and then the healers/tanks throw a poo poo fit and rage quit. I just want to unlock Heavensward :(

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It helps to just summarize the fight when you get Chrysalis if you see anyone new in the group.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Octolady posted:

Oh my god I'm trying to complete The Chrysalis for the main story quest and it's loving impossible. I know the mechanics off by heart now, but someone inevitably doesn't and then the healers/tanks throw a poo poo fit and rage quit. I just want to unlock Heavensward :(

If you're on Excalibur get goons to do it with you.

It's also way easier with PLDs as tanks cause right before the alternate time they can pop hallowed ground and be 100% invincible for 90 seconds.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

nuru posted:

It helps to just summarize the fight when you get Chrysalis if you see anyone new in the group.

Yea, there's just a lot to remember so of course not everyone can get it first time, but like one mistake can just gently caress everything. I'm on Zodiark unfortunately...The PLD tip is good though, I don't think they did that last time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick is to stick around when the group halfway dissolves. In-progress fills reasonably quickly and is almost exclusively people who know the fight.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So I guess it's only possible for paladins to have weapon and chest by now? For some reason I was thinking I would have my chest this week after buying the weapon last week.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

vanbags posted:

So I guess it's only possible for paladins to have weapon and chest by now? For some reason I was thinking I would have my chest this week after buying the weapon last week.

You end up like, 10 tomestones short :suicide:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

The whole problem with FFXIV is not the game, it's that people don't care and have no interest in playing well. You'll find that this is mostly a NA problem. On the JP servers, they are clearing savage alexander 1+2 in party finder. I'd challenge you to find that in the NA servers. This game was created for a JP audience but they try to cater to everyone. The original game (1.0) was much much more difficult but it didn't do well as a result. It was the community that demanded a easier game to play. So here we are, and what do you know, the game is popular and financially successful now. Who'd have thought right?

Can't please everyone, but they are always going to try to make money by pleasing the majority. Believe me, I'm the minority that would like the game to be harder, I just know I'm never going to get it.

It's like I'm back in 2004 playing ffxi, where the glorious nipponese tactics of pulling IT+++ pugils was the peak of skill.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I want the game to be harder, said no one who is in savage 3-4 right now.

Also want to add that Japanese players are poo poo too, their strats are mostly awful. They just know how to run pugs better.

Fishious fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Niton posted:

New 3.1 raid info, sounds cool as heck:

From here.

We'll see what the content ends up being like. Previously they made it sound like the airship adventure stuff and the new 24 man were separate content. Could be two sets of 24 man content going in? They'd mentioned wanting to add content that was a bit more like WoW's raids that you run with an entire guild of players rather than the pug style of raids that Crystal Tower had.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The impression I got is less that Japanese players are better, and more that they tend to overprepare rather than underprepare. So "clear" parties are made up of people who would have joined farm parties twenty wipes ago on American servers.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I just ran the Vault for the first time. Who's hearth am I supposed to warm myself by now? :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Completed the Kobold's dailies, just have Ixal to do now. I would rate the dailies as Sylphs>Ixal>Kobolds>Sahagin>Amalj'aa. I have done all but the Amalj'aa dailies at 60 and they sucked rear end at 50. I bet I would have a different opinion if I did all the others at 50 also. How many ranks do Ixal have?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

How many ranks do Ixal have?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Completed the Kobold's dailies, just have Ixal to do now. I would rate the dailies as Sylphs>Ixal>Kobolds>Sahagin>Amalj'aa. I have done all but the Amalj'aa dailies at 60 and they sucked rear end at 50. I bet I would have a different opinion if I did all the others at 50 also. How many ranks do Ixal have?

They have like 7 ranks. You get more points per day though so it ends up being roughly the same number of days.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yay! I'm already lvl 6.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

As someone who has done very little of the major side stuff, what's the purpose of doing the beast tribute stuff?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Malloreon posted:

As someone who has done very little of the major side stuff, what's the purpose of doing the beast tribute stuff?

Mounts and a head glamour after doing all of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Malloreon posted:

I heard from this thread there is a kool friendship quest.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Malloreon posted:

They have mounts and pets at max rank, as well as some unique dyes. You also get a pretty cool side story for maxing all of them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Malloreon posted:

Fancy mounts, dyes and minions. And cheaper crafting materials.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Korean-version exclusive outfits.

I am mad about this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

cheetah7071 posted:

Korean-version exclusive outfits.

I am mad about this.

how exclusive? like only people who can download the korean client exclusive or just input a korean id and you get it exclusive?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

pandaK posted:

how exclusive? like only people who can download the korean client exclusive or just input a korean id and you get it exclusive?

Probably creating a new account specific to the Korean servers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Korean accounts are segregated like Chinese ones; you don't play on the same servers. They're launching in a month (I think?), starting at 2.2 with an accelerated release schedule until they catch up.

China also had an exclusive item, a panda minion. It was just a recolor of the Nana Bear though.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Korean accounts are segregated like Chinese ones; you don't play on the same servers. They're launching in a month (I think?), starting at 2.2 with an accelerated release schedule until they catch up.

China also had an exclusive item, a panda minion. It was just a recolor of the Nana Bear though.

They launch this Friday actually, so today there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

It's been a couple weeks since I've seen a login queue for Excalibur during PST prime time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Begemot posted:

Fancy mounts, dyes and minions. And cheaper crafting materials.

Also a sweet title that I have been using basically since I got it. Even when I switched to other titles for a while I always switched back to the Negotiator.

Only other one I'm considering is Business Associate whenever I finally get enough turn-ins. Which will happen, eventually.

• Locked thread