Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most liter bikes will do 95-100mph in first gear. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm pretty sure my 1st gear maxes out around 62mph. It's kind of nuts.

Same here, makes driving around at low speeds a bitch since it's below idle speed <10MPH

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Most liter bikes will do 95-100mph in first gear. :v:

Yeah, if I accelerate hard in first (like taking off from one of the retarded stoplights we have on some freeway onramps here), I will
spend more time bouncing off the rev limiter at ~88 mph before my brain can respond and send the signal to my limbs to shift than I will spend going from 0 - 88 :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Das Volk posted:

Same here, makes driving around at low speeds a bitch since it's below idle speed <10MPH

My first gear only goes to 41 mph because :scrubtier:, but throttle sensitivity/engine braking in the M3 is so absurd (as I'm sure you know) it's impossible to use 1st gear beyond about 25ish mph speeds anyway unless you like having your face fly off and hit the windshield every time you lift 10%. Plus, 2nd is Bavarian Freight Train Mode so it's pretty fun to 'ease' it into 2nd at about 7000 and then just go hog wild.

I can only imagine what those 'rolling takeoff' pulls are like in the Viper/Murcie. Insanity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

^^^a video of that would be awesome. The mazdaspud6 also was part of hilarious short first gear crew. Combined with the baby turbo that spooled low it made 5-25MPH rather violent.

Oh it's not that bad.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

^^^a video of that would be awesome. The mazdaspud6 also was part of hilarious short first gear crew. Combined with the baby turbo that spooled low it made 5-25MPH rather violent.

Is the gearing all that different from the MS3 transmission?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, if I accelerate hard in first (like taking off from one of the retarded stoplights we have on some freeway onramps here), I will
spend more time bouncing off the rev limiter at ~88 mph before my brain can respond and send the signal to my limbs to shift than I will spend going from 0 - 88 :v:

The best part is having to back off to like 75% throttle to keep from looping the power wheelie while floating from 1st to 4th down the onramp.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I had a project thread about this a long while ago, but it has fallen into archives. My shitbox 88 Dodge Shadow. Originally fitted with a 2.2L T1 engine, it somehow ended up with a 2.5 T1 along the way before I picked it up. I'm trying my hand at doogleing this thing and it is working pretty drat well aside from chasing a wastegate issue. It has the complete 80's Chrysler starter pack! Pentastars, terrible paint, 3 speed auto and crumbling wiring.

Angle of photo helps hide bad paint. Factory spoiler and door trim COMING SOON.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm pretty sure my 1st gear maxes out around 62mph. It's kind of nuts.

I seem to remember an episode of Fifth Gear where Tiff remarked that he had to change down to first in a Diablo to take a tight corner, because the gears were so ridiculously tall.

Also something about having a synchronized reverse gear, which I guess is useful if you drive everywhere like you're Valentino Balboni.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ether Frenzy posted:

My first gear only goes to 41 mph because :scrubtier:, but throttle sensitivity/engine braking in the M3 is so absurd (as I'm sure you know) it's impossible to use 1st gear beyond about 25ish mph speeds anyway unless you like having your face fly off and hit the windshield every time you lift 10%. Plus, 2nd is Bavarian Freight Train Mode so it's pretty fun to 'ease' it into 2nd at about 7000 and then just go hog wild.

I can only imagine what those 'rolling takeoff' pulls are like in the Viper/Murcie. Insanity.

As Muffinpox and I both put it, it's going to plaid. Flynn's Lambo is much more refined and sonorous sounding, mine goes from roaring howl to just the sound of air blasting at high speed, like an F15 at full takeoff power.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KozmoNaut posted:

Also something about having a synchronized reverse gear, which I guess is useful if you drive everywhere like you're Valentino Balboni.

Miatas and my E36 M3 have synchroed reverses. And I've become so accustomed to them that I keep grinding the poo poo out of my new-to-me Civic's reverse.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I seem to remember an episode of Fifth Gear where Tiff remarked that he had to change down to first in a Diablo to take a tight corner, because the gears were so ridiculously tall.

It's kind of nice because I can use second gear for just about everything. I think it tops out at 85mph, and the car has enough torque to pull from low revs.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

davebo posted:

Also I spent all of 1998-2012 in '98-'02 GM vehicles. I am immune to cheap plastic for life. Cheap plastic just means weight savings to me.

That's why I refuse to own nice vehicles. It makes this seem luxurious :v:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's kind of nice because I can use second gear for just about everything. I think it tops out at 85mph, and the car has enough torque to pull from low revs.

Can you use it for burnouts? :smuggo:

http://youtu.be/sBfxIwfxakI

New tire day means doubleshaming Flynn, how can I not love this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

drat, shots fired from tired tires.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Tremek posted:

Easy to roast them when you have to buy cheap tires because MPSS are 'too expensive' for you!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got the car polished and Opti-coated yesterday. This is less than 24hours worth of "dust". Gonna have to buy me another California duster I guess.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

Is this the first actual video/photo of someone doing a legit burnout since that all happened ~however many pages ago?!
Will be hard to top a wagon :dogbutton:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Tremek posted:

Yes, loving awesome!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Is this the first actual video/photo of someone doing a legit burnout since that all happened ~however many pages ago?!

My moped burnout wasnt legit? Right in the feels, man.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Easy to roast them when you have to buy cheap tires because MPSS are 'too expensive' for you!

2/10 would take the piss out of you again

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

Looked like at least 95% two-stroke smoke.

Still owned.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My tires will be completely shot by the end of the Virginia City Hillclimb so I will be doing a massive burnout or two as well.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Just had a tint done and fitted some new LED taillights that came in the other week.

The images don't do justice to just how bright they are.

I'm real pleased with the results!

Edit: Replaced with non-enormous filesize versions.

republic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 16, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GJGLy3EVE&t=41

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Better pictures to come, but picked this up today!

'16 WRX Base. Woo!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Fart Pipe posted:

Yes, loving awesome!

There was an attempt made. A gold star for :effort: and you were technically the first to do a burnout. I'm too much of a sissy to try and power brake/peg leg a burnout in my old E36. I might not be averse to slapping the gopro on and doing a mild clutch dump.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Better pics:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wish Subaru would sell the old 2.5rs with a modern drivetrain. It's too bad Subaru doesn't have any modern drivetrains to put in them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got all the ugly purple tint off!

Before:

After:

Windex and black plastic trash bags did the trick!

Now if I only had a pressure washer, I could get the rest of that black poo poo out of the bed. I took it to a car wash and the high-pressure sprayer they had did pretty good, but I ran out of quarters. I intend to spray bedliner in there eventually, but that black gunk is kind of flaky so I would expect it to gently caress up the bedliner if I don't clean it out first.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Finally got my car back on the road after too many years on jack-stands and I got around to adding some miles on it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Wally Joyner posted:

Finally got my car back on the road after too many years on jack-stands and I got around to adding some miles on it.

Nice! I like it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Wally Joyner posted:

Pillar-less coupes :allears:

Very nice, post more pictures please!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Finally ditched my Si, picked up a 2015 Mustang GT.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Q_res posted:

Finally ditched my Si, picked up a 2015 Mustang GT.

Nice car, but you really should have opted for the front and rear bumper package.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Voltage posted:

Nice car, but you really should have opted for the front and rear bumper package.

:agreed:

requesting more pictures of your Mustang, I freakin' love the new ones so much.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

republic posted:

Just had a tint done and fitted some new LED taillights that came in the other week.

The images don't do justice to just how bright they are.

I'm real pleased with the results!

Edit: Replaced with non-enormous filesize versions.

How dark is the tint? Mine is 30% but after the fact doesn't seem dark enough. But then again it's as dark as I can go and still be "legal".

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need to roll my rear arches between 11 and 1 now because I'm the offset king :thumbsup:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

I need to roll my rear arches between 11 and 1 now because I'm the offset king :thumbsup:

Mismatched brake caliper colors? How gauche.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Mismatched brake caliper colors? How gauche.

They're yellow if you look closely. Just cause pagid rs29s are yellow. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Those wheels are freakin awesome.