Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The "gullible bloke" looks like a caricature of a guy I work with. That alone makes it a-okay with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They still haven't released the Chilcot inquiry report? :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Badger of Basra posted:

Nope. :suicide:

It was deemed "inappropriate" to publish the report in the months leading up to the general election. And that was the last that was heard of it, until now, at least.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Badger of Basra posted:

I had a check.

quote:

Sir John, who is paid £790 a day as head of the inquiry, has always declined to say exactly when the report would be released but has said he wholeheartedly shares the wish for it be made available as soon as possible.

Yeah I bet he can't wait to stop being paid quarter of a million a year.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Private Eye's been running a good series on Maxwellisation, the process where any report "has to" go and ask anyone mentioned what they think, then change the report to reflect that, then show the new report etc etc etc. Leads to a lot of delays as you can imagine.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Blair meddling with the Labour leadership contest; soldiers' families threaten to sue over delays to the Chilcott Iraq War Inquiry.

I don't understand why the Guardian is attacking Blair for 'meddling' when they're the ones who published his anti-Corbyn piece in the first place.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:eng101: The cartoonist isn't the bloke who commissions comment pieces

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

A-Level results day.

Times:

:raise:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Crashbee posted:

I don't understand why the Guardian is attacking Blair for 'meddling' when they're the ones who published his anti-Corbyn piece in the first place.

Not a direct quote, I'm the one describing him as meddling. Copy-pasting on the Kindle's really fiddly, and I try to avoid it where I can.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crashbee posted:

No idea about Jennings, but The Graun's other cartoonists Bell & Rowson are both to the left of The Guardian's editorial line. Rowson also does work for the Morning Star

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

If someone could link the inspiration, that'd be great.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

If someone could link the inspiration, that'd be great.

After Goya

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I quite like Andy Burnham as Noddy in that latest Rowson, though I've no idea what Yvette Cooper is meant to be

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Look at his wattles!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The British Bobby has a history against Irish, Scots, aliens, and anyone that they see as 'fairies' or 'monkeys' which makes them seem like a terrifying monster to some groups. A Good Cartoon.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
An accurate depiction of Slab.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Some friends of mine are sharing this picture on Facebook, though it doesn't show up on the website as far as I can tell, so for all I know it's an old cartoon that someone's slapped a new date on to work up fresh outrage. Pretty believable for Mac though.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The British Bobby has a history against Irish, Scots, aliens, and anyone that they see as 'fairies' or 'monkeys' which makes them seem like a terrifying monster to some groups. A Good Cartoon.

:golfclap:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So what is that cartoon actually about? People taking pictures of cops? Nessy exists?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Police actually walking the streets are so rare as to appear mythical.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Numbers of Bobbies on the Beat has been a political football since forever.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
They've clearly never been anywhere near a football stadium. As far as I can see this is where 95% of street police appear to spend their time. Perhaps if we ban football we can free up untold hours of police time?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

So what is that cartoon actually about? People taking pictures of cops? Nessy exists?

People over a certain age really like the idea of "the bobby on the beat". That is to say a police constable who just walks around the area he works in. On the plus-side (in theory) they should get to know the people a bit more, and having a visible police presence in the neighbourhood is supposed to keep petty crime down. Of course it ignores that as a matter of policy coppers tend to operate in pairs these days for obvious reasons, and that they also just have cars in far greater numbers than in the 50s & 60s or whenever the supposed Golden Age of the Bobby On The Beat was meant to be.

It's one of these dumb distractions that every incoming government says they'll fix but end up not doing so when someone points out that a bloke wandering the streets might not be the most efficient use of manpower.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cliff Racer posted:

It's criminal how little our lesser-spotted police officers actually do - Remember when bobbies on the beat were not a noteworthy sight? Bryony Gordon laments the decline in old-fashioned policing

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A fun game to play when you see what looks to be a cop on the street is to push them around and intimidate them: if they're a police community support officer they can only whimper or curl up in a ball like a hedgehog, the limits of their legal mandate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They are the same people who go insane with frothing rage any time their council tax goes up.

Or they get a speeding ticket.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

People over a certain age really like the idea of "the bobby on the beat". That is to say a police constable who just walks around the area he works in. On the plus-side (in theory) they should get to know the people a bit more, and having a visible police presence in the neighbourhood is supposed to keep petty crime down. Of course it ignores that as a matter of policy coppers tend to operate in pairs these days for obvious reasons, and that they also just have cars in far greater numbers than in the 50s & 60s or whenever the supposed Golden Age of the Bobby On The Beat was meant to be.

It's one of these dumb distractions that every incoming government says they'll fix but end up not doing so when someone points out that a bloke wandering the streets might not be the most efficient use of manpower.

Admittedly i'm American, but it's pretty interesting how meh the idea of police on-foot interacting with the community is to britgoons

We American goons would loving drool at the idea that anyone in power would propose this, as opposed to the current setup where cops roll around in sunglasses and tactilol gear and wait to shoot people.

An officer who is a part of the community is less likely to taze/assault/shoot the community in the face at the slightest inconvenience

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Admittedly i'm American, but it's pretty interesting how meh the idea of police on-foot interacting with the community is to britgoons

We American goons would loving drool at the idea that anyone in power would propose this, as opposed to the current setup where cops roll around in sunglasses and tactilol gear and wait to shoot people.

An officer who is a part of the community is less likely to taze/assault/shoot the community in the face at the slightest inconvenience

Its also insanely impractical in the huge swaths of the country that are suburban (or rural, for that five percent of the population.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It's not so much that we're against it, if there were infinite resources it would be quite nice, but generally there are just better way to use the limited resources that police have than the bobby on the beat. Community policing does still happen to a limited extent, but we also just have far fewer armed police so it's not such a big concern that they'll barge in & shoot us (does still happen though, remember in 1999 a Glaswegian in London getting shot on his way home from the pub. He had been carrying a table leg in a bag, someone had phoned up and said they had seen "an Irishman with a gun", armed response team went out, came up behind him and told him to stop. He did what I suspect most people would do and turn around to see who was challenging him, and got shot for it. And obviously there was Jean Charles de Menezes getting shot on the tube, and the guy they shot that sparked the 2012 riots but generally when it does happen it happens in London, because the Met are the most well armed force we have).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We just need to remove all the paperwork so that the police officers have more time to go out on the beat while ensuring that they keep enforcing the 10 new laws we demand the government introduce every day (while ignoring ones about silly things like driving and tax laws), and make sure they treat every investigation in completely accountable fashion so that we can check up on them whenever they arrest someone we like.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Just the one today.

Observer:

"Why Labour isn't listening to Blair about Corbyn - Chris Riddell on the former prime minister’s intervention in the Labour leadership contest"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

It's not so much that we're against it, if there were infinite resources it would be quite nice, but generally there are just better way to use the limited resources that police have than the bobby on the beat. Community policing does still happen to a limited extent, but we also just have far fewer armed police so it's not such a big concern that they'll barge in & shoot us (does still happen though, remember in 1999 a Glaswegian in London getting shot on his way home from the pub. He had been carrying a table leg in a bag, someone had phoned up and said they had seen "an Irishman with a gun", armed response team went out, came up behind him and told him to stop. He did what I suspect most people would do and turn around to see who was challenging him, and got shot for it. And obviously there was Jean Charles de Menezes getting shot on the tube, and the guy they shot that sparked the 2012 riots but generally when it does happen it happens in London, because the Met are the most well armed force we have).

I'm always seeing police walking the beat in Glasgow, but then again they are probably also armed and doing a stop and search on a 5 year old Roma kid.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Just the one today.

A wild Gordon Brown has appeared!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This whole leadership contest has been weird and depressing.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Just the one today.

Observer:

"Why Labour isn't listening to Blair about Corbyn - Chris Riddell on the former prime minister’s intervention in the Labour leadership contest"

Could definitely do with a few more labels, like "TONY BLAIR", "LONG REEDS" or "LEADERSHIP CONTEST OF LABOUR PARTY OF WHICH TONY BLAIR USED TO BE THE LEADER OF AND ALSO THE PM"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What labels? Chilcott Report is just the title of the report on the front page, and the skeleton is just wearing his merch from Illegal War's summer festival tour

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's a shame because if you just took the Illegal War label off it'd look a lot better.

I don't know what it is with Political Cartoons and having to explain the joke.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Fans posted:

It's a shame because if you just took the Illegal War label off it'd look a lot better.

I don't know what it is with Political Cartoons and having to explain the joke.

Even worse, if Illegal War is such an obvious blight on Blair's reputation, you shouldn't need to spell it out for the readers.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Labour leadership: Gordon Brown says party must be credible

Thanks for posting it earlier, baka kaba. I'm including it here to make sure it gets posted in the other thread as well.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pretty sure this should have Brown missing Corbyn. He said nothing new and won't change anyone's mind.

• Locked thread