Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just when I was able to stop my addiction of buying 1 or 2 Hot Wheels whenever I was at Walmart or Target or something you had to go and show me those cars.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

some texas redneck posted:

Or, you know, you could report him to the USPS for tampering with your mail. :v:

USPS isn't going to be concerned with something in :canada:

I'm going to drop by his office later today with the quotes he left me and tell them that if Martin Roofer comes back to nail his theses to my door again (or any other form of proselytising) that I'm going to get the police involved.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'd roll a matchbox car down that loop-de-loop because everyone knows hot wheels don't roll for poo poo :colbert:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Wow the two Hot Wheels Genesis Coupes are hideous. Bought them on eBay anyways.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

So, somehow, while helping out here in California, I lucked into the annual Mattel company picnic lunch!
Never knew I wanted to work for Mattel until today.

The Locator posted:

I have a pair of little wooden ramp things made of a large 2x8 with a smaller 2x8 on top of it about 18" further along the board. The reason I have these, is that my old CP race car was so loving low that my low profile jack wouldn't go under the cross brace in the front of the car unless it was on top of the 4" lift. And the 2nd board is so far down the first one because the front splitter would hit the 4" tall block if the front tires hadn't already gotten up onto the first 2" board. To get it onto a trailer I had to use the longest & lowest ramps made by RaceRamps or I'd wreck the splitter on the trailer ramps, and it was a low trailer with a dropped dovetail. I loved that car in a lot of ways, but in other ways, holy hell was it a huge pain in the rear end (and a massive black hole for any green paper that might consider occupying my wallet).
What's a CP race car? For some reason I'm drawing a blank. I had to make a set of 2x8 ramps like that a while ago and now I'm going to have to make an extended set because the E21 is so drat low and my next project will be even lower. M3 (stock height/wheels/tires) is a pain in the rear end to jack unless the front tires are already an inch or two above ground height.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Mad Max Fury Road has hit iTunes and Amazon.

2 weeks till the blue ray release....

Oh what a day, what a lovely day!
I have no DVD or blue ray player, I still ordering. Need to get a digital copy as well.

Looks like I'll likely be headed to California for either a couple weeks or the whole month of September. Working in the Oakland area but probably staying in Emoryville or something. Need to figure out dates when the boss gets back today. Weekends will be free to do whatever.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

Never knew I wanted to work for Mattel until today.

What's a CP race car? For some reason I'm drawing a blank....

C Prepared. Modified Mustang or Camaro, probably.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow the two Hot Wheels Genesis Coupes are hideous. Bought them on eBay anyways.

Buy a rip zipper. I designed those ftw

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Martin Roofer
I just wanted to let you know I saw this the first time you posted it, and I appreciate it. :golfclap:

Now is the time to make up a nearly-identical brochure but preaching the church of V8 and cramming them in his mailbox every time he leaves the office.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why the gently caress does my body insist on an Australian time zone sleep schedule when I actually have poo poo I need to do during the day for once?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

What's a CP race car? For some reason I'm drawing a blank. I had to make a set of 2x8 ramps like that a while ago and now I'm going to have to make an extended set because the E21 is so drat low and my next project will be even lower. M3 (stock height/wheels/tires) is a pain in the rear end to jack unless the front tires are already an inch or two above ground height.

What Sigma said. Sorry about that.

Sigma X posted:

C Prepared. Modified Mustang or Camaro, probably.

Got it in one. Me at a local event, I think sometime in 2011, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

It's been relatively common knowledge for nearly a month, though "officially" it's only been known for a few days.

I've had one Huawei phone - it was cheap and reliable, never had a problem with it, but it was an ancient flip feature phone that I had in the early 00s. I don't exactly see them as a high end manufacturer.

Being an industry insider, I try to keep my head out of the cellphone rumor mill. It usually more frustrating than amusing.

I would say your current opinion of them is mostly accurate. Huawei is heavily invested in the China market, where volume is king and high end just doesn't sell as many units. China is also the only place that has TDCDMA, which is kind of "backwards" from the rest of the world. There are challenges, but maybe those end up bringing new ideas to the table.

Blackberry or Nokia would have been hilarious alternatives.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

By the way, local goon who likes things that go vroom, Indycar might be finally coming back to Phoenix.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Well, I got a 3rd E30... and then I got a third cat. I guess I should have seen it coming.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Lightbulb Out posted:

Well, I got a 3rd E30... and then I got a third cat. I guess I should have seen it coming.

this is a good future to aspire to for myself

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Windows 10 is pretty cool so far, but loving Cortana doesn't work in :canada:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I can't tell if I successfully trolled several people in the PYF Recent Purchases thread or if they've successfully counter-trolled me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo did you get to meet Jun Imai?

Nope.

Terrible Robot posted:

:stonklol:

uuuhhhhh it never loving occurred to me that some of the hot wheels cars might be actual real goddamn cars that run.

holy fuuuuck the Deora II is real *mind implodes*

I knew that they built several, but I didn't expect to see them! They really seem to love what they do, here.

I just realized that the pictures I have of the Darth Vader car were take in the same circular drive in front of the building:

Twin Mill II looked better in Spectraflame paint and non-stupid wheels:

The blue one is perfect, with redlines and How Wheels wheels.

I love all the toys everywhere, and the classic ones on display. Mattel knows what it does, and is serious about fun (:D).
I'm telling you, if I didn't have a house and all my extended family back in DFW, I would seriously consider a long-term assignment here...

Just going on rental experience, the 4 speed auto GM uses in most DBW cars absolutely blows in that it takes seconds to figure out how long it should take to downshift when you stomp it - except for the loaner 2010 Impala LS I had when the dealer was fixing warranty issues on my car, that one actually downshifted quickly (only the LS got the 4 speed for that year IIRC, all others got the 6 speed). I expected to find a V6 under the hood when I looked, but it was just a Ecotec 2.4 with variable valve timing.

The 6 speed auto in a rental Cruze I had was drat responsive. I don't know how the gently caress I managed to add 3 MPG to the average mpg on it, I was driving it like I stole it the whole time I had it, with traction control off. I popped the hood expecting to see a decent sized engine, then saw this tiny little 1.4 with a cute tiny turbo and went "how the gently caress is this thing doing one wheel peels all day?!". (.... granted, it was raining all day...)

The little Accent I have as a rental scoots along pretty good. It has a 5-speed auto. There's a bit of a delay fro kick down. but it's not horrendous, and I've noticed that it actually downshifts and engine brakes when you slow down, which is new to me. In manu-matic mode, it pretty much does what I tell it to do, but the damned upshift/downshift is backwards. It works as marked, but that's back wards - it should be pull back to upshift, not push forward.

There was a link at the bottom of the post. What you see there is what I got. Wish I could have taken pics inside the Design Center, but that's all sorts of no-no (confidential prototypes and such. Mattel is serious about IP.)

Raluek posted:

lol texas

LOL medical industry.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just when I was able to stop my addiction of buying 1 or 2 Hot Wheels whenever I was at Walmart or Target or something you had to go and show me those cars.

Only 1 or 2?
Wuss.
(I hunt for the new releases, primarily. I plan on hitting multiple Walmarts and Targets here, since different regions usually get different assortment allocations.)

BloodBag posted:

I'd roll a matchbox car down that loop-de-loop because everyone knows hot wheels don't roll for poo poo :colbert:

You do know that Mattel owns Matchbox, too, right? In 1968, when HW came out, Matchbox didn't roll for poo poo - that was one of the innovative things about Hot Wheels, along with being models of customs and hot rods. And I have video of a HW going down that track just fine. :colbert: :colbert:

Bape Culture posted:

Buy a rip zipper. I designed those ftw

What the gently caress is a rip zipper?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A zip ripper tire cage?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Nope.

I knew that they built several, but I didn't expect to see them! They really seem to love what they do, here.

I just realized that the pictures I have of the Darth Vader car were take in the same circular drive in front of the building:

Twin Mill II looked better in Spectraflame paint and non-stupid wheels:

The blue one is perfect, with redlines and How Wheels wheels.

I love all the toys everywhere, and the classic ones on display. Mattel knows what it does, and is serious about fun (:D).
I'm telling you, if I didn't have a house and all my extended family back in DFW, I would seriously consider a long-term assignment here...

The little Accent I have as a rental scoots along pretty good. It has a 5-speed auto. There's a bit of a delay fro kick down. but it's not horrendous, and I've noticed that it actually downshifts and engine brakes when you slow down, which is new to me. In manu-matic mode, it pretty much does what I tell it to do, but the damned upshift/downshift is backwards. It works as marked, but that's back wards - it should be pull back to upshift, not push forward.

There was a link at the bottom of the post. What you see there is what I got. Wish I could have taken pics inside the Design Center, but that's all sorts of no-no (confidential prototypes and such. Mattel is serious about IP.)

LOL medical industry.

Only 1 or 2?
Wuss.
(I hunt for the new releases, primarily. I plan on hitting multiple Walmarts and Targets here, since different regions usually get different assortment allocations.)

You do know that Mattel owns Matchbox, too, right? In 1968, when HW came out, Matchbox didn't roll for poo poo - that was one of the innovative things about Hot Wheels, along with being models of customs and hot rods. And I have video of a HW going down that track just fine. :colbert: :colbert:

What the gently caress is a rip zipper?

It's a hot wheels thing that I designed in cad and got made !

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So it looks like we might have to put down my best friend tonight. Rushed home to go to my parents' house so I can go to the vet with them in 30 minutes. I am ready bawling my eyes out. Expect beligerant drunk posts from me tonight.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So it looks like we might have to put down my best friend tonight. Rushed home to go to my parents' house so I can go to the vet with them in 30 minutes. I am ready bawling my eyes out. Expect beligerant drunk posts from me tonight.

drat dude, I'm really sorry to hear that :sympathy:

I wish I had more words of comfort, I'm still tore up from when we had to put down my dog over two years ago. poo poo sucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sorry dude, it's the worst feeling when you know it has to happen

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

She's been pissing inside the past month and my mon said today she kept falling over and her stomach is rock hard. She's 14 so I just don't want her to be in pain.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm sorry dude :( They leave us so early.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

By the way, local goon who likes things that go vroom, Indycar might be finally coming back to Phoenix.

Would be neat to see them back in town, but I've never really been an oval race fan, and PIR completely removed the road course, those bastards. :argh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Aww man, so sorry dude :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

It's a hot wheels thing that I designed in cad and got made !

Never heard of it, and neither has Google.
Rip Shredder, maybe?: http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Extreme-Off-road-Shredder-Desert/dp/B00P72BMHQ

edit: Aw, dude, sorry, SAC. I know I'll be a mess when our doggy goes, but hopefully that's still quite a few years down the road.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
None of my dickface friends want to play Rocket League with me. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Super Aggro Crag posted:

:(

Sincere condolances, that's just the worst thing. I really wish our furry friends lived a lot longer.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

None of my dickface friends want to play Rocket League with me. :(

Is there an AI Rocket League league? Just picked it up on advice from a friend and looks super fun

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I am a loving wreck. I held her paw and petter her had as they put her down. My hands and feet are numb.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just sliced my loving arm open on a piece of broken glass then had a bunch of garbage water dump right on it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I don't get dog or cat ownership.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Sometimes people enjoy the company of animals, and they want to have that for themselves but they don't like fish, birds or reptiles.

And then the animal dies :(

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Beep boop I'm a goon robot. How do people love animals. *drinks mtn dew* *posts in wow forum*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

As George Carlin said -- every time you get a new pet, you know that you are buying a future tragedy. RIP SAC's puppy.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I only love SEXY WOMEN. Ain't no time for dogs and cats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I only love SEXY WOMEN. Ain't no time for dogs and cats.

A dog won't gently caress your best friend. (A cat would, if it could.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What if my best friend is covered in peanut butter?

He's not, but I thought I'd ask.

jk I don't have a best friend

• Locked thread