Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

Aah, the puppet master defense :downsbravo:

You know, you could have saved a bit of wear and tear on your keyboard by just typing, "I don't have a good answer to the problems you point out, so I refuse to address them."

Why do you think I almost exclusively engage against you? Outside of the obvious trolls you always unequivocally defend the police. Always shifting the blame on the victim or the public, anybody but the officer or the police. By you own statement, all police are poo poo because "whelp culture! what are you going to do about it?". I now know why, because you are balls deep in it and you would probably lose your job if you were judged by standards outside of the US. Oh no! oversight, transparency, accounting, moral fibre, consequences, DR will have none of it. When one of your own speaks out about steps that can be taken to improve policing, not a pep from you, almost like you were shunning him. Some outstanding citizen you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of funny watching people flop around all over the place and get mad at AR for being anal about wording poo poo properly when that is literally how she makes her living-- using exactly the right terms is of critical importance when it comes to legal poo poo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

-Troika- posted:

It's kind of funny watching people flop around all over the place and get mad at AR for being anal about wording poo poo properly when that is literally how she makes her living-- using exactly the right terms is of critical importance when it comes to legal poo poo.

Once again you miss the entire point of this thread.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Zodiac5000 posted:

Don't the Fifth Amendment and Miranda rights deal with incriminating yourself/not having to do/say anything that could potentially land you in hot water? Wouldn't you just want to invoke them if you are ever uncomfortable or unsure of what to do next while you wait for somebody with training and experience in these sorts of things can tell you what to do?

Yes. Exactly. You are wise, good sir.

KernelSlanders posted:

There is just about zero chance you get a yes or no answer to question 2. You now get to either enjoy a consensual conversation with the officer or an arrest for fleeing. I like to call it Schrödinger's detainment.

If they don't tell you you are free to go, then shut up. Don't flee. Don't have a conversation. Say "I invoke my fifth and sixth amendment rights" and shut the gently caress up. poo poo's not hard.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pohl posted:

Once again you miss the entire point of this thread.

In your opinion, what is the point of this thread?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ActusRhesus posted:

Discussing how hosed up our police force is?
Recognizing and discussing ways to mitigate the needless violence against everyday people perpetrated by cops?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Formless ceaseless wailing, like the souls of the damned across the river Styx

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magazine/the-bail-trap.html

quote:

Even when bail is set comparatively low — at $500 or less, as it is in one-third of nonfelony cases — only 15 percent of defendants are able to come up with the money to avoid jail.

quote:

In nonfelony cases in which defendants were not detained before their trials, either because no bail was set or because they were able to pay it, only half were eventually convicted. When defendants were locked up until their cases were resolved, the conviction rate jumped to 92 percent.
Amazing how judges are able to determine who is guilty during a 10 minute bail hearing with such accuracy. Oddly it directly coincides with how poor the defendant is

quote:

Tomlin’s eye was still swollen shut on Dec. 10, three weeks after his arrest, when he returned to court. At this hearing, prosecutors handed over a report from the police laboratory, which had tested the drinking straw. At the top of the report, in bold, underlined capital letters, were the words ‘‘No Controlled Substance Identified, Notify District Attorney.’’

The report had been faxed to the district attorney on Nov. 25, the same day as Tomlin’s last court hearing and days before his beating.
The justice system had to stop beating confessions out of people so they simply outsource it to the local jail.

Judges order excessive bail putting people in jail for weeks months or years prior to a trial, all while the prosecutors delay and offer plea deals. Then the judges ask

quote:

‘‘Are you pleading guilty freely and voluntarily, because you are in fact guilty?’’
with a straight face.
What a joke. Dude with the busted up face has been convicted 43 times. How many of those were legit?

quote:

Adriana remembers the judge telling her as she stood before him in handcuffs, quietly asking a court officer to push her glasses back up her nose. ‘‘There’s a lot of people in this room that want good things to happen to you. The fear is that you’re not ready for all of these great things.’’
No judge, you and the justice system did more harm to this woman than her abusive ex boyfriend.

Fact is when you deal with a police officer it can only make your life worse in every way. At best you walk away in the same place you started. At worst they arrest you for possession of a straw (Based on the officer's training and experience), the prosecutor sits on an exonerating report while hoping you plea out after the judge orders you imprisoned for weeks of your life to be beaten until you confess.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DARPA posted:

‘‘There’s a lot of people in this room that want good things to happen to you. The fear is that you’re not ready for all of these great things.’’

Jesus Christ that's ... something else. :stare:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 14, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Radish posted:

Jesus Christ that's ... something else. :stare:

One of the most enlightening moments of my life was when I sat in on drug court.
If you have never just gone down and sat in a courtroom while they are in process, you need to.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know how that person didn't just go mad after hearing that. "Why don't you understand that we are trying to help you by ruining your life?? Why are you so ungrateful?" is something that would be at the end of some '70s dystopian horror movie and then it fades to black as the protagonist breaks down.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Radish posted:

I don't know how that person didn't just go mad after hearing that. "Why don't you understand that we are trying to help you by ruining your life?? Why are you so ungrateful?" is something that would be at the end of some '70s dystopian horror movie and then it fades to black as the protagonist breaks down.

Behave that way and you end up in solitary.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pohl posted:

Discussing how hosed up our police force is?
Recognizing and discussing ways to mitigate the needless violence against everyday people perpetrated by cops?

That isn't much of a debate as it seems to presume certain conclusions.

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to reflect this. Shukaro has a good suggestion.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to reflect this. Shukaro has a good suggestion.

Shukaro posted:

Also try to be white.
Depressingly accurate. Waiting to hear an answer for those that are not white.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

If they don't tell you you are free to go, then shut up. Don't flee. Don't have a conversation. Say "I invoke my fifth and sixth amendment rights" and shut the gently caress up. poo poo's not hard.

Cops get pissed at passive aggression too (which is why shutting the gently caress up in response to questions comes off as) and not everyone can afford a day or two in jail just out of the blue for contempt of cop.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lyesh posted:

Cops get pissed at passive aggression too (which is why shutting the gently caress up in response to questions comes off as) and not everyone can afford a day or two in jail just out of the blue for contempt of cop.

So clearly mouthing off, trying to flee, and getting your rear end tased is the more economic choice.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ActusRhesus posted:

So clearly mouthing off, trying to flee, and getting your rear end tased is the more economic choice.

Perhaps we could discuss this problem and how we can address that it is an issue? In a collection of statements that one could argue is a "thread" of conversation?

I'm all for legal accuracy, but you and DR both argue, at times very concisely and at times very vaguely, a very myopic view that there's no problem with the state of policing, and that when bad things come to light, they must be a one off event and not an example of a system that is extremely easy to abuse.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Of course not. My point is that any encounter with police is a calculus between potential prison and receiving de facto punishments that the law doesn't recognize as such.

This is leaving aside things like how it doesn't particularly matter if you refuse searches or not in any situation where there is no recording device present under your control. If I (accurately) claim to have refused a search and the cop involved says "no she didn't" how exactly does that dispute get resolved in my favor?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Raerlynn posted:

Perhaps we could discuss this problem and how we can address that it is an issue? In a collection of statements that one could argue is a "thread" of conversation?

I'm all for legal accuracy, but you and DR both argue, at times very concisely and at times very vaguely, a very myopic view that there's no problem with the state of policing, and that when bad things come to light, they must be a one off event and not an example of a system that is extremely easy to abuse.

As another person who does feel that there are substantial problems with the state of policing, I think the content of AR's posts is getting a bit of an unfair rap in this thread because of their tone. Where are you seeing an argument that there's no problem with the state of policing?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DARPA posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magazine/the-bail-trap.html

Amazing how judges are able to determine who is guilty during a 10 minute bail hearing with such accuracy. Oddly it directly coincides with how poor the defendant is

The justice system had to stop beating confessions out of people so they simply outsource it to the local jail.

Judges order excessive bail putting people in jail for weeks months or years prior to a trial, all while the prosecutors delay and offer plea deals. Then the judges ask
with a straight face.
What a joke. Dude with the busted up face has been convicted 43 times. How many of those were legit?

No judge, you and the justice system did more harm to this woman than her abusive ex boyfriend.

Fact is when you deal with a police officer it can only make your life worse in every way. At best you walk away in the same place you started. At worst they arrest you for possession of a straw (Based on the officer's training and experience), the prosecutor sits on an exonerating report while hoping you plea out after the judge orders you imprisoned for weeks of your life to be beaten until you confess.

This poo poo is so hosed, and what is amazing is that compared to where I most recently worked, these bails are very, very low (though OR seems more common in CA).
In custody misdemeanors and light felonies equal a plea every day of the week. Literally, I will tell them to fight, they get a no jail offer, and they plea. Even when they are guilty, they get worse deals because the DA knows they will plea.

Money bail for petty poo poo is bad.

Edit: ar has never argued there is nothing wrong with policing.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

As another person who does feel that there are substantial problems with the state of policing, I think the content of AR's posts is getting a bit of an unfair rap in this thread because of their tone. Where are you seeing an argument that there's no problem with the state of policing?
Hard to call it an unfair rap when it was transphobic posting needlessly interjected into the thread.

Anywho your question isn't on point. The question isn't if there is a problem with the state of policing & criminal justice. But why there is such resistance to changing or even talking about it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

tezcat posted:

Hard to call it an unfair rap when it was transphobic posting needlessly interjected into the thread.

Anywho your question isn't on point. The question isn't if there is a problem with the state of policing & criminal justice. But why there is such resistance to changing or even talking about it.

Point of order, ladyboy jokes between friends is not transphobia. That conviction was vacated on appeal.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

tezcat posted:

For content: While there certainly are big systemic problems in the policing system, really please try to keep in mind that the vaaaaaast majority of cops are just people who are not going to put you in a chokehold because you "looked like you were going for a gun"

Also literally nobody is arguing that we shouldn't change it, just that things like "put all police under direct fed control" are not well-thought-out ideas.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 14, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

For content: While there certainly are big systemic problems in the policing system, really please try to keep in mind that the vaaaaaast majority of cops are just people who are not going to put you in a chokehold because you "looked like you were going for a gun"

How are you supposed to take comfort in that if you are interacting with police? How are you supposed to know that they are one of the good ones? Especially since the most virtuous of cops still tolerate the behavior.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shukaro posted:

Unfortunately, they will let another cop do this to you and cover for him or her. And why wouldn't they? Rat on a fellow cop, get your livelihood ruined.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nm posted:

This poo poo is so hosed, and what is amazing is that compared to where I most recently worked, these bails are very, very low (though OR seems more common in CA).
In custody misdemeanors and light felonies equal a plea every day of the week. Literally, I will tell them to fight, they get a no jail offer, and they plea. Even when they are guilty, they get worse deals because the DA knows they will plea.

Money bail for petty poo poo is bad.

Why is bail a dollar amount anyway? It seems like the fairer way would be to allow judges to set bail at x% of a suspect's assets or income.

Shukaro posted:

A big part of the problem is that the vaaaaaast majority won't stop or report their co-workers for doing that or worse.

e: If you look back through this thread even at cases where cops were eventually cited (fired, tried, etc) for abuses, you will find that in almost every instance other cops at the scene did nothing to intervene to stop the abuse and often supported the cop who was directly responsible for the abuse after the fact by corroborating a story, etc.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why is bail a dollar amount anyway? It seems like the fairer way would be to allow judges to set bail at x% of a suspect's assets or income.

because rich people are the only ones who should be able to post bail

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Point of order, ladyboy jokes between friends is not transphobia. That conviction was vacated on appeal.

I love my online friends :a2m:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SedanChair posted:

How are you supposed to take comfort in that if you are interacting with police? How are you supposed to know that they are one of the good ones? Especially since the most virtuous of cops still tolerate the behavior.

How do you know your car won't explode when you turn the key in the ignition? How do you know your plane won't crash?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What all this boils down to, in both civil and criminal law, is the presumption that people aren't lying to the court, and it's up to the judge or jury to determine if they might be. Once people lie about sending notice, or consent to anything, etc, the whole system falls apart and there's no real way to fix it without hiring 10 times as many judges and attorneys to make these determinations and imposing penalties.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Discendo Vox posted:

How do you know your car won't explode when you turn the key in the ignition? How do you know your plane won't crash?

Cop apologists are similar to people who protested the mandatory inclusion of seatbelts in cars.

A good analogy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The average bail hearing lasts less than a minute. Even if they extended that, an accurate look at a defendants assets would take more than a day or two. Remember the most impacted lose jobs if they miss one day of work.
Also, it would still hurt the poor more, much like a flat tax hurts the poor more. The poor are less likely to have liquid cash and have less access to credit. If a wealthy person has $100,000 bail, he gets a new mortage on his house. He gets a low interest rate, and when the case is resolves, he pays off the balance.
When the poor person gets $1000 bail, they have fewer choices. They can get a title loan or a payday loan with huge interest rates. This loan is also mych shorter term, requiring the principle be paid back quick or take out another loan. There will be pressure to settle to get the balance back. They will then owe a huge amount of interest.

The solution is that for minor offenses (all misdemeanors, non-violent light punishment non-violent felonies) with a person without a lengthy and recent history of failures to appear should be cited and released and those who do get arrested should get ORed, perhaps with approprate conditions (though they should be reasonable). These people are wasting space in jail and every day they stay in jail, it makes it harder to get life back on track.

Violent crimes are harder, especially as except for the murders and rapes some huge percentage of them are actually kind of petty bullshit. That said those face large prison sentences will FTA, though that can happen with or without money bail.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 14, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't know for sure, but I can be more at ease in those cases due to processes of accountability that are absent in policing.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Because if either of those things happen, there will be a real investigation, people will consider those things to be bad and undeserved by you, and anyone who acted maliciously and is known to have done so will be held accountable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

gently caress, I hate to agree with sedanchair, but if I were a minority, the "well, most cops are good cops" thing isn't really making me more comfortable.
Being hosed over by the cops is way more common than car bombs and plane crashes.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Discendo Vox posted:

How do you know your airbag will deploy of you drive a 2007 Chevrolet HD? Or if your 2008 Toyota Camry's gas pedal won't stick to the floor? Or if those Firestone tires won't catastrophically fail? I mean since we've already shown that these were clearly one off things we don't need systemic oversight and reform right?

Maybe, just maybe, part of the problem that hasn't been addressed is that when people have been wronged by the police, and when others like have been wronged in ways that range from inconvenience to outright fatal, it impacts the rest of the public's confidence in their own police forces to not abuse the system in similar ways. Maybe we should discuss how even the most outlying cases of police corruption have wide ranging negative impact beyond just the offending officer or their force or their state or their country?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I agree that officers lying should be grounds for immediate termination. Once a cop lies he is less than worthless to me as a witness. Get rid of him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Cars suddenly exploding when you turn the key is not a problem that's so pervasive in America that it's become a major movement for reform.

Even then, when a few models of car suddenly explode when you turn the ignition, you know what happens? That model gets recalled to be fixed. The manufacturer doesn't say "Well, can we really be sure the drivers didn't blow themselves up? Maybe if too many die, then we know we have a problem, but it's just a few bad apples. Why are you criticizing the beautiful cars that get you to work so you can see your loving family on time every day?" And judges don't ask someone whose car exploded "Why did you light your gas tank on fire? The manufacturer says you did and we trust them as a witness more than you."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My point is that an argument from uncertainty produces a paranoid mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

My point is that an argument from uncertainty produces a paranoid mindset.

Uncertainty and uncertainty coupled with complicity and an often deliberate lack of accountability are two different things.

Some cops will abuse their authority, just like some cars will malfunction and some planes will crash. That much is a unfortunately just fact of life. The broader problem is that when cops abuse their authority, other cops almost never step in and stop that abuse. Then police are often left to investigate their own abuses, and prosecutors tend to be less likely to pursue them with the same vigor as they do other suspects. If the same was true about, say, plane crashes, people would be deservedly paranoid about air travel.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 14, 2015

• Locked thread