Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

That's kind of my feeling. My PC has some significant technical advantages but I feel they don't outweigh the "it just works" factor like a console does for games I'm suspicious of having a mediocre port. Counter-point: Mordor was published by WB and that was an amazing port done in-house. Do we know if Avalanche is porting themselves or is it farmed out?

They said in the stream that they're doing it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I found part of today's stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BUB-pUGrM

There was another 45-ish minutes but this is most of it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shooting guys with the sniper rifle didn't seem to alert the rest of them. Then again, this isn't exactly Metal Gear.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ShootaBoy posted:

I found part of today's stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BUB-pUGrM

There was another 45-ish minutes but this is most of it.

Funny enough that starts exactly when I stumbled onto the stream when I saw the playstation twitch account hosting it. Hopefully the earlier part of it gets uncovered as I'd like to see if I missed any details about shivs or whatnot.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I wonder if the counter timing window is really narrow or if the guy playing is just awful at punching folks :cripes:

Edit:

The QA guy that took over halfway through was perfect in every way holy poo poo this game looks brutal :black101:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 14, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This has the last part of the stream. This one starts right after they switched players, so there's about a twenty minute overlap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWfInsWeDA

Game looks really good.

There's all kinds of little things I really like about it. Like how instead of having track indicators you follow the bloody tire tracks, and that the devs described the shotgun as the games smart bomb. The canteen is a great idea, and I'm glad that didn't just go with regenerating health. The combats nice and crunchy, and seems satisfying.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 14, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Mad Max PC port is releasing one day ahead of the console version? poo poo, do I cancel the console version to go for steam or what?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This has the last part of the stream. This one starts right after they switched players, so there's about a twenty minute overlap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWfInsWeDA

Game looks really good.

There's all kinds of little things I really like about it. Like how instead of having track indicators you follow the bloody tire tracks, and that the devs described the shotgun as the games smart bomb. The canteen is a great idea, and I'm glad that didn't just go with regenerating health. The combats nice and crunchy, and seems satisfying.

Fury Road-style melodramatic orchestral music confirmed during the Death Run. Fuuuuuuuck I'm so excited for this game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crabtree posted:

The Mad Max PC port is releasing one day ahead of the console version? poo poo, do I cancel the console version to go for steam or what?

You can't wait one day? I would think that if you were interested in the PC version you would get that to begin with.

That said it's a WB game and their ports have been noooooooooooooooooot good, though they've also caught so much flack for it they probably can't afford for this port to be poo poo as well. Who knows, it's a crapshoot, get the game on the system you want and probably be more concerned about whether or not it's a good game than having to wait one extra day.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Another copy of the video I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idsiK5mVjJ0

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Game looks pretty good. I'll definitely try it at some point, but I have a feeling there's something else out on the same day... can't quite... remember... what it is...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hakkesshu posted:

You can't wait one day? I would think that if you were interested in the PC version you would get that to begin with.

That said it's a WB game and their ports have been noooooooooooooooooot good, though they've also caught so much flack for it they probably can't afford for this port to be poo poo as well. Who knows, it's a crapshoot, get the game on the system you want and probably be more concerned about whether or not it's a good game than having to wait one extra day.

I thought console was the only thing they'd release for a while until PC eventually hit, but like anything else involving this game, it hits me completely by surprise. :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quiet Python posted:

I did not catch all of it, but I saw this much:

Max can travel to survivor strongholds and do side missions for them. The one they showed was Max rescuing a guy who knows how to make shotgun ammo from a gang of slavers. After returning the ammo-maker to the stronghold where he got the mission, Max used something called a "project part" that he had picked up at a warboy camp. This let him build a lab for the ammo-maker that allowed him to refill Max's shotgun ammo whenever Max visited that stronghold. This perk had a cooldown so that you couldn't just keep getting ammo by walking in and out of the stronghold.

Combat is freeflow, and looks very brutal. Suplexing a guy onto his head, pinning him against a wall and pounding his gut, grabbing a club or thunderpoon and using it on anyone who gets in your way. There are also shivs that do heavy damage to stunned enemies, but you can only carry a limited amount. Max also has a shoulder tackle that can send enemies flying into walls or off of ledges.

As you level up, you unlock new stuff for Max and his car. One of the things they did during the stream was keep unlocking longer beards for Max. Attaching stuff like ramming grills and spikes to your car provides more combat options, but makes it slower and harder to control. You can unlock new car types by finding junked chassis in the desert, stealing cars from enemies, or winning races called Death Runs.

Max had to look for opportunities to get food and water during the livestream, which was needed to heal combat damage. There are people wandering the desert that you can stop and give water to. Sometimes, they mark things on your map that you can't find any other way. Sometimes they just take the water and keep going.

Late in the demo, Max and his blackfinger companion Chumbucket traveled to a new stronghold and had to take down a warboy base to unlock more missions. Max used a sniper rifle to eliminate spotters on the towers, then destroyed the perimeter defenses with the harpoon gun and finally crashed through the front gates of the base in his car. He had to work his way up to the top of the tallest tower, fighting warboys until he reached the top and faced the Top Dog in a boss battle.

I missed the first part of the stream, so hopefully someone else recorded it.

thanks for this writeup, game actually sounding really loving now. might just preorder this along with MGSV now.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

WB outsourced ports have been pretty bad. Those done in-house, like Mordor, have been fine.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I want to see what the input lag times are like. Part of the reason jc2 on console felt bad for driving is that the controller latency was enormous. On pc it was much better

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I have to say I've come around on this and from the stream, it looks pretty decent. Those minimum specs are ridiculous, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

If Avalanche is in fact doing it themselves it should be more than fine. You can run JC2 on a crock pot.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orv posted:

If Avalanche is in fact doing it themselves it should be more than fine. You can run JC2 on a crock pot.
In the video they said they did the PC version in house because it's their primary version.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Can't wait to gently caress up Jeet.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I didn't realize this was coming out so soon until I clicked on this thread yesterday. The gameplay previews look really cool, and since Avalanche is doing the PC version in-house I'll have to pre-order this one.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

JFC posted:

I didn't realize this was coming out so soon until I clicked on this thread yesterday. The gameplay previews look really cool, and since Avalanche is doing the PC version in-house I'll have to pre-order this one.

It's a lot less risky nowadays since steam brought it refunds so I'm thinking I'll grab the PC version no sweat..

Also, I like the fact they tie the sniper rifle to the car - watching the devs in that stream sneak about in the car with the sniper looked pretty cool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty cool new "choose your own thing" trailer from IGN. One of the choices involves heading into the Fury Road "edge of forever" storm wherein it's total chaos, which looks loving sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ma648hH0po

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully that means you can trigger the storm somehow as it was in the same siege of Pinkeye's compound event that didn't have the storm around it. Also the harpoon can be used to tear down buildings or even as a way to slingshot your car and its killer rims right through an enemy vehicle. This is a true Avalanche game in that it rewards you for creatively using every tool in your arsenal.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

MinibarMatchman posted:

pretty cool new "choose your own thing" trailer from IGN. One of the choices involves heading into the Fury Road "edge of forever" storm wherein it's total chaos, which looks loving sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ma648hH0po

In the storm footage, I saw this:

I was wondering if that upgrade text for Max's shotgun about barrels was suggesting you could throw on more than two. :getin:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks to the links to copies of the stream on YouTube found in this thread, I went back and looked at some of the projects you can do in the Strongholds. Some of these are shown in brief popups, others I had to guess at.

Projects need project parts that you can find in the wasteland. Some projects require multiple parts, or are locked until you complete certain side missions. This list is based off of Gutgash's and Jeet's Strongholds.

Water Storage - Max can fill his canteen here.
Maggot Farm - Max can get food here. (Ick.)
Armory - Max can refill his shotgun ammo here.
Oil Well - Max can get fuel for the Magnum Opus here.
Cleanup Crew - These guys pick up the scrap from any vehicles Max destroys within the Stronghold's territory. No more stopping to loot after every fender bender!
Scrap Crew - These guys acquire scrap for Max over time, even when you're not playing. Requires an online connection.
Small Stockpile - It looks like Max can give a Stronghold a bunch of Scrap and the Stronghold gets "bigger". No idea if that actually does anything, or if it's just something nice Max can do.
Survey Crew - These guys will mark scavenging locations and enemy camps on your map, within the territory that they control. If you're not sure that you've found everything in the territory, ask the survey crew!
Dog and Buggy - Max can use a dune buggy and a bomb-sniffing dog to find minefields and defuse them. Not sure about this one. Minigame, maybe?

It looks like there'll be no shortage of things to do for the Strongholds, and some nice perks if you do them!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Since this is coming out sooner than I had anticipated, I've decided not to watch any videos. Avalanche is a drat good dev team and this plus JC3 will max me out of sandbox insanity.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Inzombiac posted:

Since this is coming out sooner than I had anticipated, I've decided not to watch any videos. Avalanche is a drat good dev team and this plus JC3 will max me out of sandbox insanity.

Too bad, cause latest interactive Mad Max Interactive Trailer really make the games look fun.

The car combat looks a bit easy (I'm hoping they are just trying to show off the player the ultimate badass) but the action during the Sand/Electric storm looks almost right out of the movie.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

BexGu posted:

Too bad, cause latest interactive Mad Max Interactive Trailer really make the games look fun.

The car combat looks a bit easy (I'm hoping they are just trying to show off the player the ultimate badass) but the action during the Sand/Electric storm looks almost right out of the movie.

Yeah, these definitely look like "your car with several upgrades" combat scenes. I'm guessing early on you'll have to be selective about what convoys you attack (if you can really go after any convoys without upgrades). I'm really hoping all the car explosions and demolitions have a lot of punch to them. The videos so far make it seem that way, I just want that to be true even when you are slowly damaging an enemy vehicle and knocking it down to 0 health.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

This game looks great but I can't help but feel like it's going to be a flop. There is very little buzz about it :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TescoBag posted:

This game looks great but I can't help but feel like it's going to be a flop. There is very little buzz about it :(

I think they were hoping to get people pumped up with the release of Fury Road on Bluray the same day, but nobody's really talking about that either, and everybody's looking at Phantom Pain instead. So yeah, I don't have too much hope for a huge weekend for them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm not buying this game until I know the PC release isn't a buggy piece of poo poo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BexGu posted:

holy loving poo poo :stare:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Blind Sally posted:

holy loving poo poo :stare:

The sandstorm part really is loving incredible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gonna be a good xmas this year.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A: Blow up car
B: Blow up car
C: Blow up car

I get that its about blowing up cars, but they should probably show off more than that in the official trailers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a is ram the cars
b is shoot the cars
c is grapple the cars

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
tbf, the car combat looks loving sick

(the good kind sick, not the "it's so terrible i threw up a little" sick)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
GMG has Mad Max for only 29.99€ as a VIP deal.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

GMG has Mad Max for only 29.99€ as a VIP deal.

Welp, I wasn't going to get it, but that price is just low enough for me to impulse buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Argh that is super tempting but I am still on the fence about the port.

• Locked thread