Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I just read both of the more recent Carnage miniseries by Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain. Enjoyed them both and was wondering if there is any past stuff with Carnage (besides maximum and were he is torn in half) that is good. I see there is an arc in Scarlet Spider and Venom. I plan on reading those series both interest me.

Another question as an aside. Has Clayton Crain ever had his work actually colored in anything besides black and red? I kinda dig the way it looks, but it is colored dark and muted all the time making it hard to discern details at times (looking at you Ghost Rider mini).

Superior Carnage was OK, as was Minimum Carnage (the Venom/Scarlet Spider one). Not as good as the Wells stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Opopanax posted:

Superior Carnage was OK, as was Minimum Carnage (the Venom/Scarlet Spider one). Not as good as the Wells stuff though

That is too bad. Since we are kinda on Spider-Man stuff where is a good jump on point? BND? Superior?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

That is too bad. Since we are kinda on Spider-Man stuff where is a good jump on point? BND? Superior?

I haven't read Spider-Man proper for a while but Remender's Venom is good and Scarlet Spider is as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Hootington posted:

I just read both of the more recent Carnage miniseries by Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain. Enjoyed them both and was wondering if there is any past stuff with Carnage (besides maximum and were he is torn in half) that is good. I see there is an arc in Scarlet Spider and Venom. I plan on reading those series both interest me.

Carnage: Axis is recent and amazing. As for old good Carnage stories... well, there was that one time the symbiote grafted itself onto Silver Surfer and became THE CARNAGE COSMIC, and the What If based on that incident, but other than that, not really. Maximum Carnage holds up better than its rep would suggest, but it's got problems.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Second does Marvel have any good writers who write good, fun superhero stuff that isn't completely dark? Someone like Giffen, Demattis, or (I had more until I had a brain fart).
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
She-Hulk by Dan Slott and Charles Soule (two different runs)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer
Nextwave (and to a lesser extent, Moon Knight) by Warren Ellis
X-Force and X-Statix by Peter Milligan
X-Factor (Volume 2) by Peter David (the run that started around 2006, starring Jamie Madrox)
New Avengers (Volume 1) by Brian Michael Bendis (the run that went from 2004-2010, which was the flagship book of the Marvel Universe that entire time, covering most of the big events but always adding comic relief)
Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker
Defenders: Indefensible by none other than Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis

And I haven't read them, but the current Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are supposed to be good, fun superhero books as well.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Are there any series that star/prominently feature Polaris? Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are two of my favorite characters and now I'm curious about reading books with their less important sister. All I can think of is All-New X-Factor, which I liked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrProsek posted:

Are there any series that star/prominently feature Polaris? Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are two of my favorite characters and now I'm curious about reading books with their less important sister. All I can think of is All-New X-Factor, which I liked.

Peter David's original run of X-force

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

X-Factor. Started with #71 of the first series, which came out in 1991. The team was Havok, Polaris, Jamie Madrox, Strong Guy, and Wolfsbane. Unfortunately, you'll have to suffer through some terrible Larry Stroman art before a young Joe Quesada came on board with #87 (right around the time Quicksilver also joined).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedi posted:

There's plenty of EMS patches/shirts that have the Punisher skull superimposed over the Star of Life. There's not a :wtf: big enough for that one.

Waltz with Bashir sort of fits this. It's about an Israeli soldier's experiences during the 1982 Lebanon war. It is about one person, but much like Maus, it uses that one person's experience to frame an event.

That was a comic? I've only seen the movie.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

X-Factor. Started with #71 of the first series, which came out in 1991. The team was Havok, Polaris, Jamie Madrox, Strong Guy, and Wolfsbane. Unfortunately, you'll have to suffer through some terrible Larry Stroman art before a young Joe Quesada came on board with #87 (right around the time Quicksilver also joined).

Stroman's art has grown on me quite a bit. It's not your usual "superhero" style which appeals to me a lot more these days, then it did back in the 90's when the more mainstream style was over the top Liefeld or McFarlane. (Reading that makes me sound awfully pretentious, which isn't my intention at all.) It has been nearly 25 years, so it's not all that shocking that my tastes have changed somewhat.

That run also has the best Quicksilver characterization. The issue where he's talking to Doc Samson about what it's like to exist as Quicksilver is phenomenal.

EDIT: This page:

Skwirl posted:

That was a comic? I've only seen the movie.

It was a graphic novel released in 2009. It appears Amazon only has it via 3rd party sellers though. I sort of remember hearing that it was getting turned into a movie. I'll have to check it out.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 9, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is PAD's original X-Factor run actually collected? The Essentials stop right before his run starts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedi posted:

It was a graphic novel released in 2009. It appears Amazon only has it via 3rd party sellers though. I sort of remember hearing that it was getting turned into a movie. I'll have to check it out.

The movie was loving brilliant, I highly recommend it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Another couple of questions. First has Clayton Crain ever had his work actually colored in anything besides black and red? I kinda dig the way it looks, but it is colored dark and muted all the time making it hard to discern details at times (looking at you Ghost Rider mini. Second does Marvel have any good writers who write good, fun superhero stuff that isn't completely dark? Someone like Giffen, Demattis, or (I had more until I had a brain fart).

You should read Carnage USA (also by Wells) before Minimum Carnage (that Scarlet Spider/Venom arc you were talking about). Minimum Carnage is... just okay, but still decent I guess, and leads into his appearance in Superior Carnage, which is a good read.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals. I'm adding them to my reading list. Is Superior Carnage the thing where he turns good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals. I'm adding them to my reading list. Is Superior Carnage the thing where he turns good?

No, that's Axis

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bizarrely the carnage \ deadpool mini wasn't too bad to me but it definitely makes deadpool look better at Carnage's expense if that makes sense.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

bobkatt013 posted:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

:tipshat: thanks for the help! Yeah, a couple pages into #71 and that Stroman art is not doing the book any favors. The first subplot of the book seems to be Polaris' hair attempting to devour the rest of her body as she has lunch with Strong Guy and Madrox.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Is PAD's original X-Factor run actually collected? The Essentials stop right before his run starts.

Yep. There's four "X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David" trades. Not sure what their availability's like, though.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

As someone who loves Ironman from the movies but has never read any of the comics, what would you guys recommend?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yep. There's four "X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David" trades. Not sure what their availability's like, though.

Huh, I thought he'd written more than like 20 issues for some reason. They are OOP, but they don't seem rare, so I could probably track em down, thanks.

Captain Theron posted:

As someone who loves Ironman from the movies but has never read any of the comics, what would you guys recommend?

Extremis -> Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is a good beginner combo, I think. Mostly because IIM is collected in really nice, inexpensive hardcovers.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So they just put up Sub-Mariner: The depths on MU. I thought it was an interesting comic. They get the fact that Namor isn't human across pretty well with the art in it. Any recommendations on good comics with Namor?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Theron posted:

In addition to Fraction like Hakkeshu suggested, I'd recommend Gillen's run that comes afterward. Of course, there is a catch: the first couple of arcs have Greg Land art. If you can stomach that though, then it's quite good.

Oh, and if you want to see zero heroism and just read Tony Stark: Super-rear end in a top hat, you can read Tom Taylor's Superior Iron Man.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Extremis -> Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is a good beginner combo, I think. Mostly because IIM is collected in really nice, inexpensive hardcovers.

I've done Ellis then skipping to Fraction a couple times and one of my all time favourite runs on a character.

Can't say the stuff in between is bad, just didn't read it for some reason.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I've done Ellis then skipping to Fraction a couple times and one of my all time favourite runs on a character.

Can't say the stuff in between is bad, just didn't read it for some reason.

I too love Extremis and Fraction's Invincible Iron Man, and I'd say the run between the two is worth the read, though not as good.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Can anyone tell me what comics deal with the whole ending to the superior spider-man thing? I think I remember a panel from a comic where Cage yells at him about it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HogX posted:

Can anyone tell me what comics deal with the whole ending to the superior spider-man thing? I think I remember a panel from a comic where Cage yells at him about it?

That's in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers. Any other fallout is in Spider-Man's own books. I seem to remember a page or something with Spider-Man calling the Avengers jerks for not seeing through Doc Ock's bullshit, can't remember what comic it was in though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I seem to remember a page or something with Spider-Man calling the Avengers jerks for not seeing through Doc Ock's bullshit, can't remember what comic it was in though.

I'm picturing a really tone deaf variant on Avengers Annual #10.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How has Wonder Woman been since Azzarello left?
How has Scott Snyder's Batman been, I haven't read it in a while.

Basically I want to give DC comics another chance and wanted to know what's good and whats worth catching up on.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you didn't know, most DC underwent a big reset at the beginning of June, after the end of their latest big event, Convergence. Superman and Batman both had major changes to their ongoing storyline, plus a lot of new books were launched and underperforming books were cancelled. For the most part, all the ongoings have #41 as the start of the new stories. The new books all have #1s, obviously.

- Snyder's Batman is still getting its feet under it after the big changes, in my opinion. Other people like it more than I do. If you dropped off his run a while ago, it's probably worth reading the Endgame arc to see if the current setup interests you. It's a good arc.

- The Finches' WW (the first arc after Azzarello) had a weak first arc. The last two issues have been a little more promising. I never liked the Azzarello run anyway, so Superman/Wonder Woman has been where I get my WW fix.

- Superman is in the middle of a major crossover called "Truth" that touches all of the Superman books: Action, SM, SM/WW and Batman/Superman. It has been awesome.

- Justice League started a major arc called Darkseid War with #40. I think it has also been awesome, although opinion on it seems to be more mixed.

There are a bunch of other good ongoing titles. My favorites are Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Prez (this one is highly recommended) and Catwoman (new author/creative direction as of #35). Flash and Green Lantern have been good too.

Hope that helps.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot. I'm going to a Con this afternoon for the weekend and I needed some ideas of what to grab.

I'll admit though, I'm hesitant to grab Superman/Wonder Woman. Those two as a couple is one of those ideas DC pulls out every few years and I don't think it ever worked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For me, Omega Men, Midnighter, Black Canary, We Are Robin and Prez are the top boss new comics from the June launches.
Dittoing Gotham Academy and Grayson.

e: I also love the new Robin solo, but it's really a continuation of the previous 'Batman and Robin.'

ee: SM/WW was actually pretty good under Charles Soule. Most of the run was crossing over with Greg Pak's Action Comics (the world's best comic) for the Doomed storyline.
The current Tomasi/Mahnke run is sadly going a lot worse.

eee: The Bombshells digital comic is a surprisingly great new thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 14, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

How has Wonder Woman been since Azzarello left?
How has Scott Snyder's Batman been, I haven't read it in a while.

Basically I want to give DC comics another chance and wanted to know what's good and whats worth catching up on.

If you're not interested in Scott Snyder telling another(albeit much better than Death of the Family) Joker story then you can probably just skip to the issue with the robot batsuit on the cover. I also really liked Zero Year.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Is there an origin comic on she-hulk, jennifer walters? Or was that part of a hulk comic series? I'm reading the new she-hulk series and I'd like to go back and read about her becoming she-hulk.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I love the current Ms. Marvel run by Wilson and Alphona, what other comics would I enjoy? I quite like the art and the sheer joy Kamala has when she met other super people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

toanoradian posted:

I love the current Ms. Marvel run by Wilson and Alphona, what other comics would I enjoy? I quite like the art and the sheer joy Kamala has when she met other super people.

Squirrel Girl.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Try the recent She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Prez series for good time fun comics (Prez with bitter political satire as well.)
We Are Robin and Gotham Academy are good youth driven books, if that's part of the appeal for ya, but they're not completely comedic.

e: Also, Greg Pak's Action Comics, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye and Mark Waid's Daredevil. They all have joyful superheroing and fantastic art.

ee: The new Doctor Fate seems completely influenced by Ms. Marvel with it's "Eastern" protagonist plus family focus. It's not quite that comic, but it's pretty decent and the art is real neat. Worth a try.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-dr-fate-dc-comics-2015

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 16, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

toanoradian posted:

Runaways by BKV and art by Alphona.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Stephanie Brown Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HogX posted:

Is there an origin comic on she-hulk, jennifer walters? Or was that part of a hulk comic series? I'm reading the new she-hulk series and I'd like to go back and read about her becoming she-hulk.

She debuted in her own series, Savage She Hulk in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
There's a free course on EDx called "POPX1.2x The Rise of Superheroes and Their Impact On Pop Culture". It also comes with recommended reads. In case you can't see that without enrolling, here is the list for the first week. It was useful for me:

quote:

DC Comics

Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told Volume 1, by various
Superman Birthright by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu
Death of Superman, by Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, and Roger Stern, illustrated by Jon Bogdanov, Tom Grummett, Jasckson Guice and Dan Jurens
Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar, Illustrated by Dave Johnson and Killian Plunkett
Batman: A Celebration of 75 Years, by various
Batman: Year One, by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
The Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years, by various
Batman: The Killing Joke, by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, illustrated by Kalus Janson and Lynn Varley
Batman: The Long Halloween, by Jeff Loeb, illustrated by Tim Sale
Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, by various
The Flash: A Celebration of 75 Years, by various
Shazam! A Celebration of 75 Years, by various
Green Lantern/Green Arrow, by Dennis O’Neill, illustrated by Neal Adams
DC: The New Frontier Deluxe Edition, by Darwyn Cooke
Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer, illustrated by Rags Morales and Michael Bair
Watchmen, by Alan Moore, illustrated by Dave Gibbons

Marvel Comics

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Great Power, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Steve Ditko
Spider-Man Death of the Stacys, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Gerry Conway, Gil Kane, and John Romita, Jr.
X-Men Days of Future Past, by Chris Claremont, illustrated by John Byrne
X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga, by Chris Claremont, illustrated by John Byrne
Fantastic Four Epic Collection: Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Jack Kirby
Marvel Masterworks: The Invincible Iron Man Volume 1, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Don Heck, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle, by Paul Jenkins, illustrated by Ramon Bachs
Marvel Masterworks: Captain America Volume 1, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Jack Kirby
The Death of Captain America: the Complete Collection, by Ed Brubaker, illustrated by Mike Perkins, Steve Epting, Jackson Guice, Robert De La Torre, and Lee Weeks
Thor Epic Collection: The God of Thunder, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Jack Kirby, Joe Sinnott, and Don Heck
Marvel Masterworks: The Incredible Hulk Volume 1, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko
Planet Hulk, by Greg Pak, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa
World War Hulk, by Greg Pak, illustrated by John Romita, Jr.
Avengers Epic Collection: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, by Stan Lee, illustrated by Larry Lieber, Larry Ivie, Jack Kirby, Don Heck, and Dick Ayers
Avengers Kree/Skrull War, by Roy Thomas, illustrated by Sal Buscema, John Buscema, and Neal Adams
Marvel Infinity Gauntlet, by Jim Starlin, illustrated by George Perez and Ron Lim
Marvel Civil War, by Mark Millar, illustrated by Steve McNiven
Marvel Secret Wars, by Jim Shooter, illustrated by Mike Zeck and Bob Layton