Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Eredin's a nice guy. Let him grab his weapon before he killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Ice Fist posted:

The first DLC on anyone's wishlist should be a "Free the Free City of Novigrad" where the remaining Big 4 rise up and eliminate the Eternal Fire and the Witch Hunters with Geralt's enthusiastic help

Unfortunately that would never happen in this setting. If North becomes a vassal state of Nilfgaard maybe they can dampen the worst parts of the Witch Hunters (since they'll be much less powerful without Radovid) but there's still the major problem of all the humans being horrible racists.

I do hope there's a path that ends with Philippa's demise in the DLC. I don't know how they'd write that though - seems like Phil would have to instigate it. Geralt and/or Yen wouldn't try to kill her out of nowhere, despite all she's done, and Triss wouldn't raise a hand against her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

Unfortunately that would never happen in this setting. If North becomes a vassal state of Nilfgaard maybe they can dampen the worst parts of the Witch Hunters (since they'll be much less powerful without Radovid) but there's still the major problem of all the humans being horrible racists.

I do hope there's a path that ends with Philippa's demise in the DLC. I don't know how they'd write that though - seems like Phil would have to instigate it. Geralt and/or Yen wouldn't try to kill her out of nowhere, despite all she's done, and Triss wouldn't raise a hand against her.

Maybe Radovid would finally get to finish her. In some stories, he's still alive.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

the major problem of all the humans being horrible racists.

That's a pretty racist sentiment.

Spite posted:

I do hope there's a path that ends with Philippa's demise in the DLC. I don't know how they'd write that though - seems like Phil would have to instigate it. Geralt and/or Yen wouldn't try to kill her out of nowhere, despite all she's done

No I think they would. Or well, at least Yennefer would. Geralt's a softy. She's a persistent threat to Ciri and a horrible person that has done terrible things to both of them. They're only working with her in the end game out of necessity.

They might want to keep Philippa around as a potential recurring antagonist though. Especially if they want to make more games in this series five or six years down the road.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I feel Yennefer probably wouldn't launch a preemptive strike on another sorceress, especially one as powerful as Philippa. If she were even slightly provoked, though...
Of course, it would have to be Philippa's own hubris that did her in, at the end. But I could see Yennefer coming up with a plan ensuring that.

I'm not sure she'd be a good main antagonist, but yeah, a recurring 'problem' for Ciri would make a lot of sense in terms of future stories.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Snak posted:

Ending chat: I was really sad to see Crach an Craite fall to Eredin. As much as I hate cutscene bullshit, I would have really liked it if, upon depleting Eredin's health bar, it went toa cutscene where Geralt was about to be killed by Eredin and then Eredin fell with an An Craite ax in his back, the final act of Crach an Craite. I love how Skellige, land of bullshitters and tough guys, got see literal Ragh nar Roog, exactly as it was prophesied, unfold, and their greatest heroes got to fight off the apocalypse. Generations of An Craites will tell the stories of Crach and Hjalmar ramming the Naglfar with their longboat and doing battle in the White Frost. Cerys will be remembered as the ruler whose kingdom withstood The Apocalypse.

Final quest No joke I actually cheered and did a fist pump when Hjalmar's longboat rammed the Naglfar

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Final quest No joke I actually cheered and did a fist pump when Hjalmar's longboat rammed the Naglfar

I was not expecting it at all. I didn't realize what was happening, and then when I did I was like "haha holy poo poo yes!"

So... since I just started the game over, this scene is fresh in my mind:
Vesemir: "But at the very least, you ought to be able to tell a ghoul from an alghoul!"
Ciri: "...by markings, like unto the panthera tigris that in Zerrikania dwells, and by the sickly paleness of its visage"

and I can't help but imagine how it would have went with a young Geralt
Geralt: "It doesn't have huge, retractable spines that pop out of its back?"
Vesemir: "If I'd wanted sass, I would have asked Lambert!"

But seriously, the idea that you could ever confuse ghouls and alghouls is laughable. Also I'm still disappointed I didn't find a Ras alghoul pun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ice Fist posted:

Min-max? I had over 20k just in selling the lovely items you loot off enemies by the time that quest started. If picking up and selling loot is min-max'ing then holy poo poo I am the spergiest guy to ever play this game.

I'm level 13 and still poor as a heavily armed gravel voiced church mouse goddammit

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't run into an alghoul until many hours after the beginning and was like wtf is that that's not a regular ghoul. Then the bestiary entry popped up and I laughed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebmojo posted:

I'm level 13 and still poor as a heavily armed gravel voiced church mouse goddammit
I just hit level 12 and I have like 7k in the bank, but it is my second playthrough so I know where poo poo is, what to sell, ect.

Also I just out-leveled Family Matters and the other level 6 main quest :cripes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OAquinas posted:

People are only just now beating the game if they've been doing a light gaming schedule/doing completionist runs. Gonna be another month or three.

This thread does spoilers really well, and the story is good enough that I'm glad.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also people are gonna replay to see the consequences of other decisions so keeping the spoiler tags make sense.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I finally got back to W2 and I just wanna say, in Flotsam, we guards cut the hands off thieves have superhero hearing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Is Skellige's Most Wanted just really buggy?

E: Dammit, yep seems to just be totally busted at the end.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 14, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Hjalmar is the Skelligest Skelliger in all of Skellige. It doesn't feel right choosing his sister over him to rule the isles but it does seem to be the best ending of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CVagts posted:

Hjalmar is the Skelligest Skelliger in all of Skellige. It doesn't feel right choosing his sister over him to rule the isles but it does seem to be the best ending of them.

She's the ruler Skellige needs, not the ruler it deserves. just kidding tho, Hjalmar is a childish moron, and Cerys is a huge badass AND pretty smart.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Giving Hjalmar an axe and a beer is one thing, giving him responsibility over an entire kingdom is another.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was wrapping up stuff before heading into the endgame, and I ran across a brand new quest, yay how exciti-"Kill the Troll."

Oh, guess that one will just sit incomplete in my quest log forever then :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also coming in late here, but god did killing Radovid's evil, stupid rear end feel good. Just a pity that Dijkstra had to follow him to the grave shortly after.

Now if only we could do the same for The Sergeant, since I already gladly take the chance with his men at every opportunity.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 14, 2015

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Was wrapping up stuff before heading into the endgame, and I ran across a brand new quest, yay how exciti-"Kill the Troll."

Oh, guess that one will just sit incomplete in my quest log forever then :colbert:

If it's the one in Skellige (Missing Miners) then there are few different approaches to it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who judges a quest by its name?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
A colleague at work told me I shouldn't plough through all the side quests I'm able to do just yet because there are some that interact with one an other. And by doing one I may prevent the completion of another, or I simply might not be able to complete one until I've done another.

How true is this?

So far I've just been talking the stance of: explore all of immediate surroundings collecting available quests and markers for points of interest, complete available side quests I can do, carry on with main story when I run out of those. Occasionally, i'll hit a point of interest near either of those and try and complete it if I'm at an appropriate level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Finally finished the game and man, shocked at how good everything seemingly went.

Emhyr steamrolled Redania, very much a positive to me
Temeria got to be a country again loyal under Nilfgaard
Skellige became a much cooler place under Cerys
Geralt set up shop in Kovir with Triss
Ciri's all good and a rad ruler
No mention of Yennefer, good riddance

Fun times overall

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Snak posted:

She's the ruler Skellige needs, not the ruler it deserves. just kidding tho, Hjalmar is a childish moron, and Cerys is a huge badass AND pretty smart.

From the posts here, seems nobody picked Hjalner. What's his ending like? Does he just Leeroy Jenkins the entire Nilfgaardian armada?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

From the posts here, seems nobody picked Hjalner. What's his ending like? Does he just Leeroy Jenkins the entire Nilfgaardian armada?

It's not bad, just different. Hjalmar basically continues the status quo by staying true to Skellige's raider traditions. He's a lot like King Bran - likable, charismatic, but a lovely ruler because he's rather be out biting whales to death or whatever than governing the isles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poolparty posted:

If it's the one in Skellige (Missing Miners) then there are few different approaches to it.

I just ran in, got him to chase me out, then ran past him till he forgot I was there, then looted the cave empty and just headed away. There was an interesting letter in the cave but no indications things went anywhere else, is there a way to resolve the quest without having to kill something whose only "crime" is killing Drowners (shouldn't I be giving it a medal instead?).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I just ran in, got him to chase me out, then ran past him till he forgot I was there, then looted the cave empty and just headed away. There was an interesting letter in the cave but no indications things went anywhere else, is there a way to resolve the quest without having to kill something whose only "crime" is killing Drowners (shouldn't I be giving it a medal instead?).

Smack him around a little and he'll go "okay, okay, holy poo poo, I give," and then you can talk it out.

It's a tried-and-true strategy with trolls in general.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you are actually required to kill any troll to complete any quest in the game. I can think of a couple you'd need to kite around and play with their aggro range though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Smack him around a little and he'll go "okay, okay, holy poo poo, I give," and then you can talk it out.

It's a tried-and-true strategy with trolls in general.

Ahh okay, I'll give that a go. Poor dumb trolls :)

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you are actually required to kill any troll to complete any quest in the game. I can think of a couple you'd need to kite around and play with their aggro range though.

That reminds me, I did find a cave with a couple of trolls in it and a bunch of Nekkers. The trolls fight the nekkers and kill them, and I helped them out, but once the nekkers are dead the trolls just stand around and can't be interacted with as far as I can tell. Are they part of some other quest I need to find first?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, we have mod tools now, I guess?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

So, we have mod tools now, I guess?

I'm glad of it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kin posted:

A colleague at work told me I shouldn't plough through all the side quests I'm able to do just yet because there are some that interact with one an other. And by doing one I may prevent the completion of another, or I simply might not be able to complete one until I've done another.

How true is this?

So far I've just been talking the stance of: explore all of immediate surroundings collecting available quests and markers for points of interest, complete available side quests I can do, carry on with main story when I run out of those. Occasionally, i'll hit a point of interest near either of those and try and complete it if I'm at an appropriate level.
This is never the case and your colleague is 100% wrong.

edit: The only time I know of (and I've beaten the game once already and have read this thread as it goes) that one quest stops another from being completed is when "Get Junior" conflicts with "Gangs of Novigrad" - they are each a way of completing the same objective so if you do one you cannot do the other. Otherwise do what you want you'll be fine.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

It's not bad, just different. Hjalmar basically continues the status quo by staying true to Skellige's raider traditions. He's a lot like King Bran - likable, charismatic, but a lovely ruler because he's rather be out biting whales to death or whatever than governing the isles.
In some respects, I think the Skelligers are a less civilized group of the Wild Hunt. Eredin is of the same sort of mentality but merged with the moral compass of Phillipa. The Wild Hunt goes around killing folks and snatching up magical beings instead of scrounging for goods, but it hardly makes the Skelligers more noble.

It's funny how things are different in direction and message in this game than how things are shown in the Vikings TV series, but I'll be damned if the setting doesn't look much different from each other.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I really want to argue about this, but I don't think it's worth it ultimately. In the Witcher universe arguing about which group of people is more noble is akin to comparing a bunch of turds to determine which stink the least.

In the above comparison I rate the Skelligers as far less lovely than any of the Northern kingdoms or Nilfgaard.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gopher already did a video about mods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvaAT11nut8

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

In some respects, I think the Skelligers are a less civilized group of the Wild Hunt. Eredin is of the same sort of mentality but merged with the moral compass of Phillipa. The Wild Hunt goes around killing folks and snatching up magical beings instead of scrounging for goods, but it hardly makes the Skelligers more noble.

It's funny how things are different in direction and message in this game than how things are shown in the Vikings TV series, but I'll be damned if the setting doesn't look much different from each other.

Actually what the Wild Hunt does, outside of trying to find Ciri, is kidnap people (mostly kids from what I remember of the books) and bring them back home as slaves. Originally in the books they wanted to force Ciri to sleep with their previous king to have a kid and allow the elves to have free reign to teleport wherever they want again but she escapes. So there's your motivation for the Wild Hunt.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, I did find a cave with a couple of trolls in it and a bunch of Nekkers. The trolls fight the nekkers and kill them, and I helped them out, but once the nekkers are dead the trolls just stand around and can't be interacted with as far as I can tell. Are they part of some other quest I need to find first?

They are! I'll just say it's a mid-game Dijkstra quest and leave it at that.
Edit: and if you're trying to get all the Gwent cards you'll want to do it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Their situations aren't that comparable given their respective cultures. The Aen Elle live in a centralized monarchy, and while Eredin's an absolute shitpot of a king he's at least got the sense to appoint a talented administrator to run things while he's off murdering people. Skellige's belligerent clan-states can get along just fine without a central governing body for the most part, so kings like Bran and Hjalmar aren't necessarily bad rulers, just ineffectual ones. They give the general populace someone to cheer over and maybe sort things out when too many body parts get hacked off in a clan feud or something.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I just finished the game last night, and I was kind of disappointed in the ending.
It seems to just end abruptly, and a bunch of characters don't really get mentioned at the end. And a lot of the choices I made didn't seem to have much effect on the outcome.

For example:
Because of my choices, Geralt went to Kovir with Triss, but Yennefer gets no mention at all. If you romance Yennefer instead, Triss would get no mention.

If you do (or don't do) the quest to kill Radovid, the outcome of that only gets a brief mention in the epilogue and all you get is a little voiceover of one of those comic book panel things.

My impression is that either my choices didn't really matter or that the story changed along with them so naturally that I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I just finished the game last night, and I was kind of disappointed in the ending.
It seems to just end abruptly, and a bunch of characters don't really get mentioned at the end. And a lot of the choices I made didn't seem to have much effect on the outcome.

For example:
Because of my choices, Geralt went to Kovir with Triss, but Yennefer gets no mention at all. If you romance Yennefer instead, Triss would get no mention.

If you do (or don't do) the quest to kill Radovid, the outcome of that only gets a brief mention in the epilogue and all you get is a little voiceover of one of those comic book panel things.

My impression is that either my choices didn't really matter or that the story changed along with them so naturally that I didn't notice.

While they are not cutscenes, you can effect pretty large scale change on the game world. I hear you on the lack of certain character epilogues though.