Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm sketching up some frame designs in 3dsmax for my own-design quadcopter, to see what goes and where to save space, before trying to dick around in a CAD program and make files for cutouts. The ESCs are annoying as gently caress due to their size (at least the 20-30A ones). Any reason to avoid 4-in-1 ones, apart from having replace it completely when a single internal ESC blows up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
put them on the arms

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Thanks guys!

Printers are loving cheeeeeeap now. Go to Alibaba/chinese warehouse site of your choice and google "Prusa i3". They start at like $299. I paid ~$450 for mine but I got it from a local guy that resells the $300 kits. I just wanted it same-day. Mine is the Prusa i3 Acrylic, comes as a box of parts. I'd recommend getting the Aluminum version because I broke a few acrylic frame pieces putting mine together. Nothing superglue won't fix but it's not ~*PeRfEcT*~ anymore... You can buy the Aluminum main frame separate so that's my next addition but you have to disassemble the entire thing to replace it. It's not a perfect printer but it absolutely turns my 3D files into plastic things. If I were to do it again I would spend a bit more and get the Dual Head extruder. This gives you 2 hot ends and the ability to print either 2 colours or 2 separate materials. So you can get clever and print your object in ABS plastic, and all your support material printed with HIPS which is dissolvable. This will give you perfect overhangs and no stress of breaking away support materials/sanding little bumps where you had to break it away. Of course you can always start with the $350 basic model and buy the extra parts to upgrade it afterwards, which is my plan now. It's all based on Arduino hardware.

After that, buy a ~$30 J-head hot end from Ebay (the one that comes with it doesnt have replaceable tips, it will jut be .4mm most likely.) and a 0.5mm replacement tip for the J-head. For art print stuff you'd want a .2mm tip or smaller for the detail, but structural stuff you want big fat plastic lines and think layers. A .5mm head also lets you print REALLY fast compared to a .2mm since it can push more plastic out. I bought a pack of .2mm, .3mm, .4mm and .5mm tips thinking I'd only ever use the .2mm but in all honesty I've never used anything other than the .5mm because it worked so well. *snip*

EDIT: I think Hobbyking just started selling a $179 3d printer but it's small.

This is the most coherant bit of 3d printing advice i've heard. Ever. And I'm a member at PS:1 which has four operational 3d printers.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i might get a Tiny Boy but I am a member of and volunteer at a Makerspace so I have access to a lot of printing power.

also lumenier is getting in the 180mm frame biz too

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/qav180-qav210-mini-fpv-quad.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

the nicker posted:

put them on the arms
I want to use round Carbon tubes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

:science: IN the arms!

You could print a bracket that would clamp to the rod, but have a flat top to mount the ESC with a few zipties.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The arms in question have only 16mm outer diameter. 3D brackets may be an idea, since I need to print camera mounts, too, but I'm still looking to have as much inside the body (including most part of the 5.2Ah battery I want to use (on a 400 size drone :haw: )).
Sounds like you want to extend your motor cables, run them inside the carbon tubes, and connect them to ESCs mounted in your main body. You could make a plate that holds your power distribution board and ESCs together, and mount your FC over that with some spacers.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

And soon we'll be seeing stubby airfoils... :-)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The arms in question have only 16mm outer diameter. 3D brackets may be an idea, since I need to print camera mounts, too, but I'm still looking to have as much inside the body (including most part of the 5.2Ah battery I want to use (on a 400 size drone :haw: )).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm fighting with some ESC positioning stuff myself right now. I'm building a ZMR clone and I kind of want to get some standoffs and put my ESCs under the body but I'm worried that not having them on the arms, as well as having them all in close proximity, will affect their temperature. Being on the arms they get some downwash from the props and generally more airflow. Not sure whether it's better to just toss my idea and mount them on the arms even though it doesn't look as "elegant". I bought two frames -- one is my "I'm loving around" frame and one is my "I'm trying hard to make this look good" frame.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

The FAA continues to remain fully inside it's own rear end in a top hat.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/08/13/the-most-important-thing-faa-can-do-now-to-improve-drone-safety/

"as hard as it is to believe the FAA has taken the absurd and unsafe position that training drone users – unless it is done for free as a hobby or recreational activity – is illegal. This means that local drone dealers who have years of experience flying drones cannot legally teach their customers to fly their newly purchased drones, even if the lesson is done for free."

I live in New Zealand and recent legislation changes mean that I can only fly on private property makes it drat near impossible to actually fly. Thinking of just getting out of the hobby.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Odette posted:

I live in New Zealand and recent legislation changes mean that I can only fly on private property makes it drat near impossible to actually fly. Thinking of just getting out of the hobby.
Same here in Belgium. Private property and not higher than ten meters. If you want to fly on someone else's property, even with their permission, you need an additional takeoff permission to be procured at the municipality you want to fly. It's pretty retarded.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Part 101 posted:

Consent

Part 101 requires operators to obtain the consent of property owners and people that they are flying over. It is a two step requirement:
  • First, a operator must not use airspace above people unless they have the consent of people below the flight; and
  • Second, an operator must not use airspace above an area of property unless prior consent has been obtained from any persons occupying that property or the property owner;

Summary: If I visit a local park, I have to obtain the permission of the following:
  • The local authority that is responsible for the park.
  • Property owners that adjoin the park. Every single one of them.
  • Everybody in the park.

This is a little bit ridiculous. Ironic that this is the next paragraph in the rulebook:

quote:

If you cannot obtain consent, or obtaining consent is impractical, it may be a signal that your operation is too hazardous to be conducted under Part 101. You can apply to the CAA to be certificated under Part 102. Part 102 allows the Director of Civil Aviation to work though different options with an operator and/or to relax or remove one or both of the consent requirements altogether.

Said certification costs something in the range of $fuckoff to $tooexpensive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Odette posted:

Said certification costs something in the range of $fuckoff to $tooexpensive.

Aviation.txt, right there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those rules are nuts:( I watch a bunch ofyoutube videos from an older New Zealand guy that is in constant fights with the government/ only flying club in the country.

I broke one of my rules(and probably a bunch of by laws) and took my little 3s 5030 quad to the park today. Got it stuck in tree branches twice and had to throw my shoes at it to knock it down. loving thing is a beast. Easily my best quad yet. It is all the guts from my Morphite 155 minus the motors and little frame so no surprise there. The 1806 2280kv motors haul rear end and don't even get hot unlike the 1306 3100kv motors that come with the Morphite. The 3100's weren't playing very nice with my PLA frames at all.

If anybody has some 12-20A ESCs and motors with 2 10mm/2 16mm mounting points and wants to build one I will put it up on Thingiverse. I'd like some feedback from a more experienced flyer.

EDIT: I also found this online which maybe you guys already know about but oh well:

http://www.iforce2d.net/mixercalc/

An interactive motor mixing calculator, input numbers or drag and drop motors around and it will give you the proper mix amounts to put into Cleanflight/Multiwii.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 14, 2015

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Those rules are nuts:( I watch a bunch ofyoutube videos from an older New Zealand guy that is in constant fights with the government/ only flying club in the country.

Think somebody earlier in the thread posted about him. He got into a fight with the authorities because he showed how you could build a cruise missile from hobby components :D
He does have some pretty cool youtube videoes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

refleks posted:

Think somebody earlier in the thread posted about him. He got into a fight with the authorities because he showed how you could build a cruise missile from hobby components :D

Amusingly, he also happily answers e-mails regarding that project... as I found out three days ago.

While we're at it. Guess what I'm doing at lunch today?

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 14, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

Amusingly, he also happily answers e-mails regarding that project... as I found out three days ago.

While we're at it. Guess what I'm doing at lunch today?

Well you certainly aren't going out to buy more batteries.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Well you certainly aren't going out to buy more batteries.

I was charging the last night.. Turns out I have 45 batteries or so. I just started numbering them.

On a related tack.. would anyone want a small battery tester? these things are not easy to determine the health of.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Nerobro posted:

I was charging the last night.. Turns out I have 45 batteries or so. I just started numbering them.

On a related tack.. would anyone want a small battery tester? these things are not easy to determine the health of.

Want? or Have? I'd think the only meter method would be a load test to check their internal resistance. But then you'd have to have the original resistance as a base measurement.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Golluk posted:

Want? or Have? I'd think the only meter method would be a load test to check their internal resistance. But then you'd have to have the original resistance as a base measurement.

Want. I'm about to build one. :-) Transistor, a 1 ohm load, and some voltage sensing should do the trick. I've got enough cells to determine what's good and bad based on voltage drop under load.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sometimes I think we should have a thread for legal/policy/flight discussions and a thread for you nerds who like to hack your toaster so it flies. :)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
idk about you but the dozen posts or so a week that happen here covering both topics isn't a particularly onerous workload :shrug:

Although I'd agree that UAS/UAV/etc legal and legislative crap certainly qualifies as its own topic. Also I suppose some people might be interested in one but not the other.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Welp, annihilated the pan and tilt rig on the RVJet on its two-second maiden flight. Took off beautifully, but then it rolled to the left and ate the dirt so hard it scooped a good chunk of mud out of the ground. I'm thinking my wingtip launch put it at a funny angle and into a crosswind, since even with full right aileron it wasn't able to recover.

Other than the nose, the rest of the airframe came out surprisingly unscathed. Got the scrunched parts under some hot water right away and it's pretty close to its original shape. Getting the foam nosecone glued on right now, so hopefully the second flight isn't as disasterous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I'm putting together my first 250 and just learning how to hover and land and things like that, is there any real reason not to put prop guards on it? I got a set erroneously included in a HobbyKing shipment.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ edit: Don't put guards on it. Like that you learn to value your props and get a throttle cut reflex.

Turns out I need to tune my PIDs, because my drone behaves like rear end in rate mode (when I'm not flying it into the ground). It levels out rather quickly, which by the theory means I need to crank I, and it feels mushy, probably too much D ( :haw: ). Too bad this stupid CC3D board only supports six channels (no PPM on my RX), so I have to run back up to the apartment and reconfigure TxPID every drat time.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 15, 2015

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

With respect to a beginners transmitter, Taranis X9D seems to be the most recommended as you won't grow out of it fast. What if you can't afford one :)? As far as I can ascertain, the lower step recommended is Turnigy 9XR Pro? And then Turnigy 9XR or FlySky 9X? Is there anything that I should be aware of when comparing these options?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For what it's worth, from someone who just got into the hobby and bought the budget Turnigy 9X (not R/D) Tx, after you factor in all the mods you'll likely want to do on the thing, and the fact that you'll want to flash the stock FW anyway, I would probably go with the extra $30 and buy the 9XR Pro ($99 on hobbyking) over the regular 9X.

You'll still need to get a transmitter module (and receiver) to go with it which is around $50 from HobbyKing so you're looking at a total of about $150 vs $220 for the Taranis.

If you go with the cheaper 9X like I did, you do get a transmitter and receiver which you could certainly use while you budget for upgrades, and the mods you'll likely do won't be too costly ($5 for LCD backlight, <$10 to throw a USB programmer in there somewhere), $20 for the LiPo battery. Just be aware that most people I've talked to seem to prefer to upgrade to the FrSky transmitter/receiver combo which is fine since it's just a box you plug into the 9X (after you cut away some pesky plastic), likely because there's no real advantage to staying with the Turnigy system other than initial investment.

I'm really happy with my 9X and I don't see myself outgrowing it any time soon. The plain plastic look makes it a little less gaudy than the faux-chrome of the 9XR IMHO. It'll also help me not feel quite as bad when I have to drill a hole in it to insert a LED for something or maybe it gets scratched up when I toss it in the trunk later.

I've probably put in an extra $70-80 into the 9X already, if you factor in the FrSky module, LiPo, USB programmer, and backlight. I still want to do the pager motor haptic feedback mod just because I think it would be really handy to have extra feedback when I'm learning to work the throttle.

I'm sure there are people who are perfectly happy with the stock 9X and use it to fly, but to be frank: everyone I've talked to has gone the route of upgrades for OpenTX alone.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

refleks posted:

Spookydonut posted:

I guessing this is the best place to ask, I'm planning on doing some cool automation stuff with model rockets.

How much does wind and high dynamic pressure (traveling fast) affect the altimeter chips?

Either he's got a time machine or there's two of them now.

Unrelated: I've got a 350 frame which the manufacturer says can mount a GoPro, and a GoPro. But I don't fly the GoPro as I instead cannibalized the camera and video receiver from a JJRC H9D, as those two pieces are the only redeemable portion of that aircraft.

This screen/camera combo only do one channel, and they don't let you select that channel, or tell you what channel it is, other than that it's in the 2.4GHz range, (which I only discovered because the VTx didn't play nice with the flight drone's own receiver).

With this combo mounted on the 350 frame with a dedicated battery for the camera - it does not interfere with the ability of the aircraft to fly. This is the best thing I can say about the camera. The auto light balance affects the tint, so foliage looks redder or greener depending on how much sky is in the frame. Also it's got a range of like 100m at which point the signal cuts - no taper, no fuzz, no warning, just no image. This limits use to LOS but LOS is difficult to maintain as the screen is easily the dimmest I have ever used and the only way to see the screen outdoors is to shade it with your body or turn 180° and shade it with itself. It's not impossible to use but also not ideal.

What's the latest on fpv right now? Is it still the http://www.horizonhobby.com/fpv-vapor-rtf-with-headset-eflu6600 ?

Or is there a cheaper set of hardware I could buy that'd let me use the GoPro for FPV on there? I've heard it's a bit laggy, but I don't care. I use this thing like a camera on a pole. I want to look at things from overhead - not dance about or race.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Either he's got a time machine or there's two of them now.

Spookydonut is just Pyungyang's liason to this thread picking up some tips for the thrifty North Korean Air Force.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bumped my little 5030 quad into a wall and a few minutes later so heard a CRACK and it started wobbling a bit in the air. Landed it all pissed, assuming I had cracked the frame but:stonk: :

It did not lose altitude or become uncontrollable, just wobbly. It's like an Octo! I keep stacking 2 frames ontop of each other and really have to resist the urge to buy 4 more motors and turn this into an OctoX

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. I picked up a 3S 2200mah 1.5c battery for my turnigy 9x (it's the stock 9XR battery) and threw it on the charger. It's been sitting at 12.60V for like 10 minutes now but the charger still hasn't sounded the "finished charging" chime. Is it typical for a charger to sit at full-cap for a while? I've got both the main and balance leads plugged in so maybe it's leveling off the cells, even though I didn't put it in balance mode?

Still new at this so I'm obviously unsure.

edit: nevermind, I switched to cell-display mode and one was fluctuating between 4.19 and 4.20 for a few minutes but then it finished :downs:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 16, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

refleks posted:

Spookydonut is just Pyungyang's liason to this thread picking up some tips for the thrifty North Korean Air Force.

Ha! Nah I just found out my ice hockey teammate is into model rocketry with no electronics background and I'm into electronics with no model rocketry background and we're putting something together to increase the recovery rate of the rockets (parachutes deployed at high altitude can drift very far).

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
This may not be the right place for it, but would anyone in the greater Boston area interested in becoming contract test pilots for a drone company on a hourly basis?

PM me for details.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 19, 2015

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tim Thomas posted:

This may not be the right place for it, but would anyone in the greater Boston area interested in becoming contract test pilots for a drone company on a hourly basis?

Change "Boston" to Southwest Michigan and I've got someone who'll fit the bill. :(

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm right outside Boston, what exactly does it entail?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm near cape cod. Established company. I'll shoot you a pm.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Turned my tricopter into a quad:

Frame: Armattan Morphling 250mm
Flight Controller: Seriously Pro Racing F3
PDB/OSD: QuadRevo PowerOSD
ESCs: KISS 30A
Motors: Cobra 2204 2300KV
Props: HQProp 5x4.5 Bullnose or 6x4.5
Receiver: FrSky X4R-SB
Flight Camera: HS1177 600TVL
Video Transmitter: Lumenier 600mW 5.8GHZ
Antenna: IBCrazy Airscrew
BEC: Pololu 1A
LEDs: WS2812B
Recording Camera: Mobius in 3D printed tilt case
Battery: Dinogy 1800mAH 4S or 3S
Lots of Paracord ;)

AUW on 4S: 675g

More pics here: http://imgur.com/a/lZpJC

Martytoof posted:

There was one 250 setup I saw somewhere that did a slight pan up to retain visibility of the area ahead when the craft pitched down in high speed flight which was really cool. I wasn't thinking of a full pan/tilt "lookit the pretty scenery" type of thing :)

Though yeah, maybe that's a bad idea too. I don't really plan on doing it, it was just a neat idea :)

Yup that kind of set up with just vertical tilt works well, and is useful for landing too if you can tilt your camera down via a switch on your TX. You can set up the servo to tilt the camera automatically as you pitch the quad forwards, but a lot of people find it very sickness inducing to do that.

Arrest that ass! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 19, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As if using video googles while spazzing around in a FPV racer isn't sickness inducing...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone else in here had an inspire - what Sun shade do you use? I'm using an Air 2, and the $15 one i bought on amazon completely sucks - half of the suction cups don't hold at all on the back

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/August/19/Racing-like-Superman

#NEFPV!