Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

RE: Cash N Guns

Gutter Owl posted:

Interested.

http://www.printerstudio.com/sell/s...E02497D9B25BD6D
http://www.printerstudio.com/sell/s...D1FE390AB103BED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Scyther posted:

If only there were games that were both light, easy to learn, and strategic. Oh well. I guess we'll forever be cursed to choose whether we want to play a boring number crunching strategic game or a random bullshit fun one.

These cannot exist by definition, since a main point of attraction in Fun Games™ is that they are random and swingy, leading to less feeling stupid over a choice you made. Otherwise, stuff like Dominion or Hanabi would be perfect.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So we were talking about no one playing Martin Wallace games anymore. I played Steam last night. It was enjoyable but made me really want to try 18XX. The pick up and deliver is nicely supported by Puerto Rico style role cards (which are auctioned) and an either/or economy/VP balance. I won on the last turn after being in last for most of the game by shipping off a few big routes. Another player actually used my one of my routes that same turn to give me a point thinking I was so far behind. You really have to consider other players positions in the game -- I wouldn't say it's a conflict driven Euro but there's a heavy amount of interaction which was great.

Anyway it's a cool perfect information no luck game but I really wanna try 18xx. Cardhaus has 1830 in stock so that's probably going to happen soon.

Also got in a game of Ra which of course rules.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 14, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The End posted:

A distant plain is a lot closer to being reprinted than Cuba libre is atm, so that may push you in a direction.

Edit : of course, the correct answer is get both. And fire in the lake.

I've taught COIN newbies A Distant Plain (since I can't get Cuba Libre for love nor money) and it is definitely a lot easier to teach than FiTL. It's also more freeform and less of a direct war game than FiTL which appeals to some people more. FiTL is also more of a team game than the others, in ADP the sides that are 'working together' feel a lot more antagonistic.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think a game doesn't have to be number crunchy to be strategic. It just has to be sufficiently dense with viable choices. Like, you could try to condense your decisions in Dominant Species down to a math problem, but it would make you the rear end in a top hat who takes 30 minutes to place your workers.

Race For the Galaxy still comes to mind. You have to be mindful of what you're trying to accomplish re: points engines, and you have to try to predict which phases your opponents will select, but you don't need to be a card-counting genius to know that you'll eventually find a card you want if you lean on the Deep Explore a couple times, either.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Upper level Race play is pretty crunchy, but players who have played a lot get good enough at optimizing by feel that there should only be two or three turns with future-planning AP going on. Most of the game goes really smoothly once people have their pacing down - and that game's probably one of the poster children for good strategy/tactics balance in a modern game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

So we were talking about no one playing Martin Wallace games anymore. I played Steam last night. It was enjoyable but made me really want to try 18XX.

I finally bought a copy since Amazon had it for sale for thirty bucks the other day. How long was your game? Have you ever played Chicago Express/Wabash Cannonball?

quote:

Also got in a game of Ra which of course rules.

I also got a used copy of Medici and Hollywood Blockbuster from the bgg market. Been playing the hell out of Ra. I have Medici on iOS and it seems like it will be pretty cool but better with higher player counts than Ra. With Hollywood Blockbuster I'm totally looking forward to reading the stupid pun names out loud like Ralph Wiggum or something.

Auctions rule, worker placements drool

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 14, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Either the Overlord's cheating or this is the dumbest set of players imaginable who didn't even have the common sense to do a full move towards a starting enemy and hit it.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

Marvel Legendary is literally Legendary Encounters without Coordinate or the need to scan rooms.

From what I've heard about the co-op mechanics of Legendary Encounters, it sounds like they would be really good additions to Legendary as far as trying to make it a full co-op. I wonder if someone will eventually make such a variant.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Stelas posted:

Either the Overlord's cheating or this is the dumbest set of players imaginable who didn't even have the common sense to do a full move towards a starting enemy and hit it.

Lol! Good catch! That is a pretty fishy looking board status for First Blood.

Speaking of Descent, btw, anyone try out the Heirs of Blood campaign book? I was looking through it, and it looks like it would be quite an upgrade from the base set campaign.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I have PTSD from that tutorial level. I think I've played it six times between different groups.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There are more differences between legendary and legendary encounters than that, some much more important, imo.

In addition to coordinate and scanning, the encounter decks actually have 3 "acts". This lets the game give you easier encounters at the beginning and ramp up at the pace of your decks, rather than the thunderstone thing where you might get the toughest encounter in the deck on your first draw. It also lets them make the narrative a bit more hand crafted without writing line after line on the Scheme card; Ash is an actual card in the deck instead of just sentence number 5 on the scheme card.

The fact that the aliens actually engage in combat with you rather than just escaping like in Legendary makes the game much more intense, in our experience.

There are also avatar cards which seed your deck with a special power. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but it would have been nice if Legendary had the same mechanic so you could say "I'm Iron Man"*

I think it all adds up to make Encounters just a more fun Alien-experience than Legendary's weak superhero experience. It probably also helps that one of the VS System guys came back to work on a Encounters (also the new Marvel VS 2PCG which is looking pretty cool)

* in the black sabbath voice while drunk, preferably shouting it into a fan

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I finally bought a copy since Amazon had it for sale for thirty bucks the other day. How long was your game? Have you ever played Chicago Express/Wabash Cannonball?

5 player game. Around two hours (maybe two and 15) with rules. I haven't played Chicago Express/Wabash Cannonball. It's definitely a good pick up for $30. I was told all of the AoS maps are forwards compatible too.

I also got in a play of Tzolkin and Hansa Teutonica this week. Tzolkin I continue to like although I wouldn't call it vital if you're satisfied with your WP choices (the gears should at least be tried once though). Hansa just keeps getting better and better though. It's like the Keyflower of route building. It would make for a brutally fun LP.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 14, 2015

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

This game is MERCs apparently, but can anyone tell me the scoop with this cool looking board and terrain and junk? Is it some custom 2-D assembly terrain with MERCs being played on top of it?

I remember the MERCs kickstarter and none of the game looked anything like this from what I remember.

I saw similar boards for Mercs at Gencon a few years ago. After digging around, I found a thread with pictures and a little explaination. But that link has been lost in time.

If I remember, they are put together using various papercraft terrain sets. I think those boards used a lot of Worldworks stuff. But they were customized a lot, the didn't just print out the pre-built elements.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Marvel Legendary doesn't have role cards or hit points. Instead, there are specific loss conditions in your scenario, which often a sufficient number of villains or types of villains escaping the board. I find that, in general, the abilities of cards in Marvel chain together a lot more readily for like huge amounts of damage and/or cash due to card draw mechanics and more generous numbers overall. The scenarios are mostly easier to win, as well, being dependent on the players' ability to have a total of like 4 turns in which they generate enough damage (10-15 ish) to fight the mastermind.

Some of the expansion masterminds require a little more effort. Mr. Sinister comes to mind- his combat value is based on the number of hostages he has, and he can easily rack up a large number of hostages using his Fight effects and Master Strikes, where Master Strikes are the equivalent of a Location's Hazards in Encounters.

That said, the games are pretty direct remixes of each other. I wouldn't try to use Hive Cards in Marvel Legendary, but the Hero cards are the same format, with the same color suits. You could easily play a game where Ellen Ripley joins the Avengers, or Wolverine is aboard the Nostromo, if you feel you've exhausted the games' original features.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Shadow225 posted:

Well, you're half right. The other half is that the elitism and snark actively replaces the answers to the questions people new to the thread ask. If his question was about the quality or our opinions of the game, we'd be fine. Instead, we felt the need to poo poo on the game so strongly that his question had one sincere answer and like 4.5 snark answers. He doesn't care about your opinions of the game, otherwise he would have asked; he has already bought into the game and wants to buy more of it. He's likely not going to come around and ask for another opinion, which robs us of the chances to do fun things like have a discussion or suggest better games when the time and circumstances arise to do so.

My initial thought was gently caress it I just won't post anymore but that doesn't really accomplish much since I generally like this thread and have taken many of the opinions when looking for a game to purchase so the best thing to do is just move on.

This time I will ask for people's opinions on Roll for the Galaxy. I never played Race and I generally prefer games where I can chuck some dice over not. I watched it played a few times briefly and it looked interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rad Valtar posted:

My initial thought was gently caress it I just won't post anymore but that doesn't really accomplish much since I generally like this thread and have taken many of the opinions when looking for a game to purchase so the best thing to do is just move on.

This time I will ask for people's opinions on Roll for the Galaxy. I never played Race and I generally prefer games where I can chuck some dice over not. I watched it played a few times briefly and it looked interesting.

It's OK. I feel there are some balance issues with the starting tiles, and building seems much stronger than producing and consuming, but it's reasonably inoffensive.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rad Valtar posted:

Its generally well regarded around here, though not as deep, but more elegant than Race. Personally I'd try to get it on sale, but I'm not the target market.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
A Good Game.

The problem isn't saying a game is bad its just posting opinion not explanation the same as just saying a game is fun

Rumda fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 14, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jedit posted:

It's OK. I feel there are some balance issues with the starting tiles, and building seems much stronger than producing and consuming, but it's reasonably inoffensive.

Is this for a two-player duel? I've only played Roll with largish groups, and Produce/Consume seemed really strong when there were multiple people using it as their main strategy (and hence had both actions firing every turn fairly consistently).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I like it a lot (I like Race a lot). It's very quick but packs some interesting decision-making in that time. I also just enjoy the interface; the dice look cool and are enjoyable to chuck. The game has a bit of a "go-fish" thing, like Race, which can either be a big downside or what keeps it fresh, depending on what you prefer in games.

If you're interested I say go for it

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;
"Star Trek: Frontiers, which is based on Vlaada Chvátil's Mage Knight, is coming "soon" from Andrew Parks and @WizKidsGames." :getin:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

nonatomic retain posted:

"Star Trek: Frontiers, which is based on Vlaada Chvátil's Mage Knight, is coming "soon" from Andrew Parks and @WizKidsGames." :getin:

oh my god, however I am sure wiz kids will mess it up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jabor posted:

Is this for a two-player duel? I've only played Roll with largish groups, and Produce/Consume seemed really strong when there were multiple people using it as their main strategy (and hence had both actions firing every turn fairly consistently).

Nope, four players.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nonatomic retain posted:

drat it Scotty why did you give me a hand full of photon torpedos and not a single warp engine? :argh:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Two-player RollftG is alright, not as good as two-player Race but still pretty good. You get your two phases plus a random third phase that is skewed towards Explore so you still need to take some guessing/risks on assigning dice.

Expansion should update starting tiles nicely and will add some stuff that buffs produce/consume a bit when playing vs heavy build, I expect that to level out most of the balance worries.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

Producing and consuming does seem relatively weak in a two player game, and I think it's a flaw of the format since the dummy dice tilts things towards an explore strategy. The game is much better with a third player.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Never buy stuff from wizkids.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jadarx posted:

I saw similar boards for Mercs at Gencon a few years ago. After digging around, I found a thread with pictures and a little explaination. But that link has been lost in time.

If I remember, they are put together using various papercraft terrain sets. I think those boards used a lot of Worldworks stuff. But they were customized a lot, the didn't just print out the pre-built elements.

Thanks for the tip about Worldworks. I really like that setup in that photo, the 2D assembled trees and general green leafy layout is refreshingly different.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I was gifted Roll for the Galaxy last week for birthday and I love it. There's not many games which, after just one game, go straight on my wishlist but Roll was one of them. It's reasonably short but you cram a lot of game in that playtime, the components are really nice and mechanically it's very tight I think.

I not 100% convinced that there is a clear bias towards Produce/Ship strategies over Building ones or vice-versa, but it depends on what the other players are doing I think. When I played it last week, only one player really pursued a Produce/Ship engine and it didn't pan out. Everyone else was always choosing Explore, Develop or Settle so it meant he would have to always spend one turn Producing then the next turn Shipping, reducing his efficiency. I've played it several times at my gaming club however and seen very powerful production engines arise because two (or more) people are doing it, meaning the Produce and Ship phases get chosen in almost every turn. While there's no direct player interaction you do have to pay attention to what others might do and the phases they might choose so you can maximise your dice use.

The biggest difficulty of the game I've noticed is the rules need a lot of up-front teaching, there's not much you can just explain as you go, which means your first game will always be slow as people figure or need reminding how to assign their dice and use them in the phases. Once that clicks though, it rolls along (:hurr:) very nicely. There's even some decent solitaire rules on BGG for solo play, and a small expansions coming out soon that adds dice that show two phases per face (Leaders and Entrepeneurs) . It's not 100% clear how they'll work but say you have a dice that shows Explore/Settle, and you use it to select the Explore phase. Everyone else reveals, and you see that someone else chose Explore and no-one chose Settle. You have the option then of activating the Settle phase, and I would imagine the special dice is then used up and goes into the citizenry.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jabor posted:

You can definately win Roll-ftG with Produce/Consume, but I believe it's weaker than a Build strategy. Someone on BBG said they played over a hundred games and Produce/Consume won about a third of the time. Evidently the developer agrees with him, because Roll-ftG:Ambition is supposed to buff Produce/Consume heavy strategies.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, played the 'Learning' scenario for Churchill tonight and introduced Viticulture to more folks.

Churchill had us scratching our heads for the first turn - like most GMT games, there's quite a bit of mechanical overhead - combined with being a genuinely new concept, we weren't quite sure how to tackle it. So, our first conference was scrappy and backstabby, and our deployment of forces in Europe resulted in nothing advancing at all. It turns out that you really must cooperate a lot, and grabbing things for yourself is very much a 'colouring in the margins' aspect of the game. So, going into our second and third conferences, there was a little more collaboration, a little less snatching toys away from each other, but even still there was moments of spiteful recalcitrance and unwillingness to cooperate. With me as Roosevelt, I was just trying to win the drat war, Churchill trying to get us all pulling in the same direction and Stalin obstinate about committing anything to the war on Japan and funnelling everything he could lay his grubby mitts on into the eastern front, by the end of the game it felt right and we're very eager to start a full game, with a full war to win, at the next opportunity. Very cool game, and this will be an enduring classic, I reckon.

As for Viticulture, well, it just continues to be a great light-mid weight worker placer, and by rights should become the go-to intro level wp game, and consign Lords of Waterdeep to the garbage bin where it belongs, if only it had a them with widespread nerd appeal. A simple game, but elegant and mechanically interesting, with Tuscany as a great way to ramp up the game and keep it valuable for heavier gamers.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

@Zveroboy/golden: That's correct. It's not dramatically weaker but it is a bit weak and the two new dice colors (black/orange) in Ambition will both definitely help it. I've only played 2 games with the expansion but it felt easier to get the early game off the ground as produce/consume and having a starting wild that acts like a purple is really damned nice. I've played about 50 games and produce/consume is stronger if two people get into the loop but otherwise building rush leads by a bit.

Note that base Race for the Galaxy had basically the same numbers but flipped, with some form of produce/consume leading the way about 65%. (Planet rush was pretty weak, military and dev rush situational, produce/consume very reliable).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

nonatomic retain posted:

Andrew Parks, masterful designer of such games as:

Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing
Core Worlds
300: The Game
X-Men: Mutant Revolution (a reskin of someone else's Spartacus design)

This is going to based off the new movies, isn't it? TNG or bust.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Core Worlds doesn't suck if you buy the expansion, so that's something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

D&D Attack Wing, the only miniature game that my regular boardgame supplier reckons has 'tanked', probably due to a complete lack of sales, and thus he has placed everything currently available on a huge clearout sale.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Mantis posted:

Can you drop me the link? I haven't played before but would be interested.

Come to think of it, I may actually be a prime candidate for the US side. Eager to get inolved and wholly uninformed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Andarel posted:

Core Worlds doesn't suck if you buy the expansion, so that's something.

How "doesn't suck" are we talking here? I have the base game, I took it out and learned it like 2 years ago, and it seemed more bland than any space game I could remember, still haven't played it.

Do the expansions make it worth playing?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

Never buy stuff from wizkids.

post this in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Malloreon posted:

How "doesn't suck" are we talking here? I have the base game, I took it out and learned it like 2 years ago, and it seemed more bland than any space game I could remember, still haven't played it.

Do the expansions make it worth playing?

Base game is really bland. Galactic Orders makes it significantly less bland and makes the midgame a bit more interesting though endgame is still boring. I've gone on record plenty (I was on a dice tower podcast at one point complaining about how lovely Core Worlds is, hah) on how mediocre the mechanics of CW are, expansion adds new things that are definitely a bit thinkier and make synergistic cards actually feel synergistic.

With expansion it's solidly average, maybe a touch better if you like deckbuilders and attacking things in space. It's nowhere near the level of RftG but it's passably close in quality to EmDo (base game, at least).