Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

Old post but yes, it does. Works very well, too.

Thanks. I love that radio and the recent radio app update was very nice. Even if it kinda flakes on RDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

I don't give them a pass either, but that doesn't mean they've done some rare gently caress up.

It happens all of the time to different companies.

What haven't they hosed up since Lollipop came out? I can't remember the last time the Android team shipped anything that didn't have multiple major issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

What haven't they hosed up since Lollipop came out? I can't remember the last time the Android team shipped anything that didn't have multiple major issues.

I can't remember the first time they did.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Using my Lumia 925 as daily driver since March made me realise that I sacrificed app quantity for quality and not having to worry about battery drains, stupid google services eating up resources or major gently caress ups. Gonna be funny if windows ends being popular because google sucks more than Microsoft.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Here's the thing: nobody ships anything without multiple major issues.

Guillermus posted:

Using my Lumia 925 as daily driver since March made me realise that I sacrificed app quantity for quality and not having to worry about battery drains, stupid google services eating up resources or major gently caress ups. Gonna be funny if windows ends being popular because google sucks more than Microsoft.

It's too late for Microsoft at least so far as phone goes. MS has always had superior software development practices than either Google or Apple, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

MS has always had superior software development practices than either Google or Apple, though.

You're referring to the company that literally fired its QA department and sent out broken Windows updates multiple cycles in a row. Microsoft is the prototypical example one would use to describe completely broken development practices. Even if their engineering was solid (and it certainly isn't), its management structure is dysfunctional to the point they really don't even function as a company, much less one superior to any of its competitors.

Not that Google and Apple don't have their share of problems but I doubt either one would trade their internal practices with Microsoft.

You are right though that Microsoft has no chance of being a player in mobile though. They have about the same shot OS/2 does of retaking the enterprise desktop environment for exactly the same reasons.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

You're referring to the company that literally fired its QA department and sent out broken Windows updates multiple cycles in a row. Microsoft is the prototypical example one would use to describe completely broken development practices. Even if their engineering was solid (and it certainly isn't), its management structure is dysfunctional to the point they really don't even function as a company, much less one superior to any of its competitors.

Not that Google and Apple don't have their share of problems but I doubt either one would trade their internal practices with Microsoft.

You are right though that Microsoft has no chance of being a player in mobile though. They have about the same shot OS/2 does of retaking the enterprise desktop environment for exactly the same reasons.

On the other hand Apple has no idea what the gently caress they're doing whatsoever (broken Wifi support from ios 7.x to 8.3-ish, and they still haven't fixed their built-in Video app consuming every last ounce of your device storage under the "other" category so that you have to wipe the device to do anything else) and Google's using development practices that are clearly not suited for the reality of Android as an ecosystem.

e: I just looked this up because I was remembering this time last year when they did the layoffs and we were all WTFing over "they got rid of QA? entirely? really?" but it turns out it's just that they shifted programmatic QA onto the devs:

quote:

but one victim group appears to have been the dedicated programmatic testers in the Operating Systems Group (OSG), as OSG is following Bing's lead and moving to a combined engineering approach. Prior to these cuts, Testing/QA staff was in some parts of the company outnumbering developers by about two to one. Afterward, the ratio was closer to one to one. As a precursor to these layoffs and the shifting roles of development and testing, the OSG renamed its test team to "Quality."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 14, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I currently have an LG G3, will LG be releasing anything more powerful than the G4 in 2015 or if I wanted stronger should i look somewhere else other than LG?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are you doing that you think your phone doesn't have enough oomph?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

hooah posted:

What are you doing that you think your phone doesn't have enough oomph?

I worded that wrong I really just want something with a prettier screen that's larger.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

Touchwiz hasn't changed much at all since at least the S3 (my first Samsung). They always say it has but it hasn't.

Samsung hardware is top notch though. I love my N6 but wish I could get a GPE Note 5.

With the exception of the lock screen you can literally phase out every element of touchwiz with apps now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On the other hand Apple has no idea what the gently caress they're doing whatsoever (broken Wifi support from ios 7.x to 8.3-ish, and they still haven't fixed their built-in Video app consuming every last ounce of your device storage under the "other" category so that you have to wipe the device to do anything else) and Google's using development practices that are clearly not suited for the reality of Android as an ecosystem.

e: I just looked this up because I was remembering this time last year when they did the layoffs and we were all WTFing over "they got rid of QA? entirely? really?" but it turns out it's just that they shifted programmatic QA onto the devs:

That's exactly my point. While I don't know much about the internal development practices at Apple, looking at Google and Microsoft is good way to see how not to do it. Microsoft shifted the onus of testing on to the developers which is simply the worst practice you could adopt. If the developers were capable of catching the mistakes, there wouldn't be any. What's worse, starting with Windows 10 they're actually going the Google route on top of this by making the user the quality control department.

Google's way of developing software could be summed up by releasing half-finished software into the world, doing a shitload of A/B testing on live users, then forgetting they were even working on the project before killing it. While we can at least assume Microsoft won't forget they make an operating system, one would have to admit that relying on a project's own developers to bugtest their product is just insanity and pushing that untested software directly to users (with the exception of enterprise users who can actually test and defer updates in the long-term support channel) is simply a bad development process. It's like if you took the worst part of Google's process and tried to worsen it still.

I'd honestly say that given Google's ADD scattershot approach to most of their products, Android has fared far better than I would've predicted. They've done solid development work from almost every perspective to keep the platform not only usable for users and OEMs but also for developers in an environment where they lack the full-stack ownership their only competitor has. It isn't perfect or even better to develop for compared to iOS, but given what I'd expect out of Google it's way better than I would've imagined.

They've also laid groundwork in areas where Microsoft simply refuses to go because it's just too hard. Microsoft never did understand that the power of the iPod wasn't the device, it was the store. It was signing all those labels and making it easier to buy music than to steal it. That's why PlaysForSure doesn't. And again when they sought to emulate the Mac App Store (something that let me assure you, should not be difficult--the MAS sucks) instead of lining up partners who developed quality applications to feature their wares for distribution through a platform Windows users could trust, they chose not to. They instead chose to allow it to be filled with fake software, trademark infringement for paid "downloaders" which took you to the free software, and outright malware.

Even Google, a company that rights holders nakedly loathe, managed to set up a content distribution platform that works for the users, the companies, and themselves. The Windows Phone marketplace is a ghost town and, rightfully so, can't really be trusted by the users.

That's more than the software development comment you made but it's all indicative of the same problem which is that for all of Google's faults in maintaining the Android ecosystem, Microsoft lacks the corporate ability to accomplish what it would take to be a player in mobile. I don't want this to read as a bias against Microsoft--I want them to make good products. The world, for better or for worse, depends and runs on their products, it would be preferable that they be quality products. The fact is though that no matter how much they pay The Verge to claim otherwise, right now, through years of stack ranking, poor leadership, and toxic culture, they simply do not have the ability to do so.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

¿?

WiFi's worked fine for me from 7 through the present, so has video? not sure how that's "no idea what the gently caress they're doing whatsoever.

Onto something more on-topic, isn't Android still nominally open source? Shouldn't the "fix" have been reviewed, and then rejected, by the same people who are saying it doesn't work?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't know how Google's practices compare to Apple or MS, but my impression is that the developers care more about adding new cool features than fixing boring bugs. This isn't just an impatient customer speaking, there is a Google tech talk with a testing infrastructure guy who said he had to put up a public wall of shame to get developers to fix "medium" and "low" priority bugs otherwise they'd sit there forever

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't know how Google's practices compare to Apple or MS, but my impression is that the developers care more about adding new cool features than fixing boring bugs. This isn't just an impatient customer speaking, there is a Google tech talk with a testing infrastructure guy who said he had to put up a public wall of shame to get developers to fix "medium" and "low" priority bugs otherwise they'd sit there forever

Honestly I think Apple is finally getting this (again) with iOS 9. I've run the third public beta of it and wow it was leaps and bounds "faster" than 8.4 I am hoping Google gets the same thing with M. I don't need tons of new features (split screen on iOS 9 is nice, I like that), I just want a polished experience. Perhaps that will be this round of releases.

uninterrupted posted:

¿?

WiFi's worked fine for me from 7 through the present, so has video? not sure how that's "no idea what the gently caress they're doing whatsoever.

Onto something more on-topic, isn't Android still nominally open source? Shouldn't the "fix" have been reviewed, and then rejected, by the same people who are saying it doesn't work?

I didn't have the issue in iOS 7 but it is well documented that iOS 8 has had major wifi issues (http://bit.ly/1MrXSLp). From my understanding it is the use of bonjour over AWDL. From my understanding the shift in iOS 9 and the next release of OS X gets away from this.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 14, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Microsoft shifted the onus of testing on to the developers which is simply the worst practice you could adopt. If the developers were capable of catching the mistakes, there wouldn't be any.
[...]
While we can at least assume Microsoft won't forget they make an operating system, one would have to admit that relying on a project's own developers to bugtest their product is just insanity
No no no no no, stop, this is not what you seem to think it is.

What Microsoft call "combined engineering" is about using a combination of developer-built automated testing and peer review to ensure code quality. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's a fantastic system. I believe Facebook use similar practices in most (all?) of their dev teams, and there are plenty of other companies as well.

As a software developer I love this approach and want to do more of it. I want to get rid of every dumb QA "engineer" that I have to deal with and work on a team of competent programmers that have a self-interest in producing good software, where I know that I have to programmatically prove that my code works, and where developers can't take the approach of making GBS threads out half-finished code and letting some unqualified QA drone find and list all the bugs because you'll be directly pissing off your peers instead.

Though I might also have only ever worked at companies that employed dreadful testers.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well...poo poo.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/14/motorola-cuts-2015/

I guess "throwing their weight behind motorola" meant, "firing everyone that made motorola what they were and replacing with Lenovo people."

Seriously making me reconsider the new X.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

vyst posted:

With the exception of the lock screen you can literally phase out every element of touchwiz with apps now.

...the UI?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Well...poo poo.

I guess "throwing their weight behind motorola" meant, "firing everyone that made motorola what they were and replacing with Lenovo people."

R.I.P. Motorola 8/14/2015

Welcome to the new world of Lenrola.

Edit : I'd reconsider the purchase of the X too since Lenovo has some awesome practices of inserting malware into their PC lines. How nice of them.

http://bit.ly/1fbSCNc <--- their latest effort

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 14, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The new Moto G/X are not the issue. They're finished products. The risk is to future Motorola phones. The answer is to buy 10 Gs and 3 Xs so you are set for the foreseeable future, since HTC is going out of business, LG will never get the software right, and Samsung is somehow doubling down on their idiocy. We're running out of companies that deserve our money.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You can be concerned due to the fact that these phones will still demand updates, and that will be coming from post-gutting Motorola.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

The new Moto G/X are not the issue. They're finished products. The risk is to future Motorola phones. The answer is to buy 10 Gs and 3 Xs so you are set for the foreseeable future, since HTC is going out of business, LG will never get the software right, and Samsung is somehow doubling down on their idiocy. We're running out of companies that deserve our money.

So you're saying Lenovo cannot push software updates to their phones now? Do tell ....

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So you're saying Lenovo cannot push software updates to their phones now? Do tell ....

I am not worried at all. But I'm also not very worried about Stagefright either. :shrug:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

I am not worried at all. But I'm also not very worried about Stagefright either. :shrug:

Good for you, I wasn't concerned about your personal security preferences. You made an incorrect statement about some magical wall that blocks Lenovo from updating devices already in the field, that they now as a company have control over. Your statement is incorrect, which is all I was pointing out.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 14, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I think the issue is that nobody wants a software update from Lenovo. Their laptop shenanigans are pretty serious breaches of trust.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

effika posted:

I think the issue is that nobody wants a software update from Lenovo. Their laptop shenanigans are pretty serious breaches of trust.

I know. I wasn't arguing against that. Re-read what I was replying to. I am on the same side of the fence that Lenovo sucks for security and this is a serious concern for all devices now under their control.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Good for you, I wasn't concerned about your personal security preferences. You made an incorrect statement about some magical wall that blocks Lenovo from updating devices already in the field, that they now as a company have control over. Your statement is incorrect, which is all I was pointing out.

I said nothing about a wall or any inability to influence Motorola. I do think this could be an issue going forward, if Moto isn't going to continue to operate independently. Why are you so agitated?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fat_Cow posted:

I worded that wrong I really just want something with a prettier screen that's larger.

If your 5.5" 538 ppi screen isn't doing it for you I'm not sure there's anything out there that's spec'd any higher than that. We've long since passed the point where increased pixel density is really noticeable. I'm sure some ill-advised company will release a phone with more pixels at some point, but the trade-offs are pretty major in both performance and battery life not to mention expense.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 14, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

I said nothing about a wall or any inability to influence Motorola. I do think this could be an issue going forward, if Moto isn't going to continue to operate independently. Why are you so agitated?

Perhaps staying current with the news about these companies before arguing points about them would be a wise choice. Agitated because a once good company who seemed to care about user experience and quality is now being very much taken over by a company that has extremely bad security practices and a history of putting out complete garbage. Nothing to be concerned about, right?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

vyst posted:

Except for all the other garbage that Samsung injects into the OS at a lower level. From a developer perspective Samsung devices are notorious for having problems, which at best can be addressed with a hacky workaround, and at worst you can just say "oh Samsung :shrug:" because there's nothing that can be done about it.

This crap bleeds into your user experience. We all will grant that much of Android's reputation of being crashy/slow/flaky is definitely well-deserved. However I'd say a good amount also stems from the fact that the vast majority of Android users are Samsung customers, and Samsung evidently hates their customers.

For instance, and this is just stuff at the top of my head right now:

There are some app compatibility libraries that Google provides to extend features to prior versions of Android. These get updated quite frequently to add new features, and developers are supposed to just include these in their apps. Samsung decided to embed some portion of that code into their 4.2.2 builds. Last fall when developers started using the v21 compatibility libraries to make Lollipop apps backwards compatible, the portion of that code on the device trumped that which was packed with their app, causing crashes.

They're adding changes that cause memory leaks in apps. I assume they did this to make things easier for themselves, unaware of the impact.

There are plenty more issues like this where Android on a Samsung device just plain doesn't behave the way it is supposed to. And with so many carrier/regional variants of every Samsung flagship, plus the weird budget models and such, it's not out of the ordinary at all to see strange Samsung crashes that only affect some subset of the Galaxy S5 or whatever.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Well...poo poo.

Should I be worried? I feel like I should.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

vyst posted:

The lock screen, and the notifications shade, and the settings menu. You know, just the whole drat OS.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Motorola hasn't had a great track record for updates this whole calendar year. I have heard that the problem has been with Qualcomm, US Telcos, and Lenovo management. Honestly, as a customer, the reason why their updates have been delayed or pulled doesn't matter to me. What does matter is that they went from having their updates come out with in a month of google releasing them to 6-8 months. I am not saying that I will never own another Moto device, but I am saying they have gone from being my favorite OEM to just another OEM since Google sold them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Should I be worried? I feel like I should.

It's just, as stated, Lenovo has had two very large strikes against them from a security/privacy perspective and I always took solace in the fact that Motorola was independently run. But, replacing key management personal with those that were likely involved in making Lenovo's past dodgy decisions gives me real pause.

I will never buy a Lenovo PC again, period. I was willing to let them redeem themselves after Superfish, but they doubled down on the stupid instead. I also don't have faith that they have the creative vision necessary to maintain Moto's sensible approach to software additions. I mean, they must not have been happy with things like Active Display and Moto Assist if they loving canned the people who made them. I can't imagine what they want to put in is better, it's almost certainly going to be a downgrade.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

We all will grant that much of Android's reputation of being crashy/slow/flaky is definitely well-deserved.

My experience with Android has flown in the face of that perception.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

uninterrupted posted:

¿?

Somebody's already talked about the WiFi thing (I'm not sure the attribution to the problem is correct, however) but here's the Video app thing:

If you stream movies and TV shows off of it instead of download, it takes up an immense amount of cached space. Theoretically ios is supposed to manage that for you, but Videos app will absolutely tell you that it's out of space and can't stream anymore, and it all shows up under "Other" and is otherwise not removable without completely wiping and restoring the device.

This issue has been there for at least the last 4 major versions of ios.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 14, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lowen SoDium posted:

Motorola hasn't had a great track record for updates this whole calendar year. I have heard that the problem has been with Qualcomm, US Telcos, and Lenovo management. Honestly, as a customer, the reason why their updates have been delayed or pulled doesn't matter to me. What does matter is that they went from having their updates come out with in a month of google releasing them to 6-8 months. I am not saying that I will never own another Moto device, but I am saying they have gone from being my favorite OEM to just another OEM since Google sold them.

Why are you quoting me for this? My post was nothing to do with slow updates.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Somebody's already talked about the WiFi thing (I'm not sure the attribution to the problem is correct, however) but here's the Video app thing:

If you stream movies and TV shows off of it instead of download, it takes up an immense amount of cached space. Theoretically ios is supposed to manage that for you, but Videos app will absolutely tell you that it's out of space and can't stream anymore, and it all shows up under "Other" and is otherwise not removable without completely wiping and restoring the device.

This issue has been there for at least the last 4 major versions of ios.

This is probably best discussed in the IOS threads but does said usage show up in Usage settings?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Why are you quoting me for this? My post was nothing to do with slow updates.

Your post was about Lenovo pushing updates. I was stating the Motorola's update record hasn't been great as of late and I honestly don't expect Lenovo to improve it.

edit: VVV I see, I missed that you were referencing their laptop update bullshit.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 14, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lowen SoDium posted:

Your post was about Lenovo pushing updates. I was stating the Motorola's update record hasn't been great as of late and I honestly don't expect Lenovo to improve it.

The context is important though, because I am not simply talking about the update process nor the timing either. I am talking about concern over what Lenovo will decide to sneak in with their updates since they have a bad record of security in other products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If your 5.5" 538 ppi screen isn't doing it for you I'm not sure there's anything out there that's spec'd any higher than that. We've long since passed the point where increased pixel density is really noticeable. I'm sure some ill-advised company will release a phone with more pixels at some point, but the trade-offs are pretty major in both performance and battery life not to mention expense.

It isn't just pixels, the LG G3 display is pretty poor in most ways. The LG G4 is the same resolution but much improved, Galaxy S6 is much better, etc.