Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cat Mattress posted:

I keep finding abandoned cabins with a pressure plate hooked to a chest. Is there something that's supposed to happen when a chest (not a chest statue, a plain old golden chest with loot in it) is activated? Or is it just a bug in the world generator?

Activating chests with wires doesn't do anything, so yeah I think you're right and it's a world gen bug. My guess is the game generates the house, generates the pressure plate / statue, and then generates the loot chest, and there's nothing keeping the chest from overwriting and destroying the statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick question: if my base/town/whatever is actually built underground branching off a living tree tunnel, will I be hosed if I enter hardmode and the biome change runs through my base? Should I be moving everything topside?

Depends. What it's made of, what the surrounding blocks are made of.

Which biome heads your way (Corruption/Crimson renders places unlivable. Hallow doesn't. In fact, hallow's actually positive as far as it's concerned).

If you've made your base out of corruptible materials, you're hosed if it heads on through. Straight up. You'd need to use a Clentaminator to fix it without simply breaking the entire thing down and starting over.

If not, there's a hidden counter that checks how many corrupt blocks are in the vicinity. That determines whether your NPCs will live in a place or not. It checks within a 45 block radius, and if it's over 250, the house is unlivable. You can reduce it with Sunflowers and, as said above, Hallow type things (Specifically Sand, Grass, and plants, I think), but you're underground, so that's rather difficult.

If you're actually worried about the enemies themselves, don't. The only enemy in the game capable of opening doors are aren't biome specific (except maybe Face Monsters? I can't remember if they can open doors or not. But they aren't a hardmode enemy anyway). The only enemies capable of moving through blocks either spawn regardless of Biome (Wraiths, Reapers), or only spawn starting in the Caverns. And as long as it wasn't going to be a flying base/town/whatever, you were vulnerable to them anyway.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Supremezero posted:

Depends. What it's made of, what the surrounding blocks are made of.

If you're actually worried about the enemies themselves, don't. The only enemy in the game capable of opening doors are aren't biome specific (except maybe Face Monsters? I can't remember if they can open doors or not. But they aren't a hardmode enemy anyway). The only enemies capable of moving through blocks either spawn regardless of Biome (Wraiths, Reapers), or only spawn starting in the Caverns.

Mostly wood and dirt; I'm not good at building bases. :(

I'm slowly reorganizing things instead of just having everything just placed randomly.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
To be fair, the corruptible materials thing applies equally on the surface. Also, you don't need a clentaminator to fix it, do you? That would certainly be faster, but wouldn't throwing holy water around still work just fine?

Edit: Your depth meter in that screenshot is indicating surface depth. If that's accurate, your base is actually considered surface layer and is pretty much just like any other base. If it's low enough there may be some risk of underground layer enemies spawning below you in blood moons, but they probably won't really be able to get up to you.

Llednar Twem fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 13, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Marble can't be corrupted, right?! RIGHT?! Gotta make a marble castle, gotta make everything marble, gotta cleanse the dirtiness of the world with the pure, white marble

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Marble can't be corrupted, right?! RIGHT?! Gotta make a marble castle, gotta make everything marble, gotta cleanse the dirtiness of the world with the pure, white marble

And then Medusas start spawning everywhere and you realize you hosed up bad.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mostly wood and dirt; I'm not good at building bases. :(

I'm slowly reorganizing things instead of just having everything just placed randomly.

Dirt itself is safe. But the vines growing off them will raise the corruption rating, if you get the corruption. And the stone itself is bad. Those houses will straight up become unlivable if they're hit by it.

Llednar Twem posted:

To be fair, the corruptible materials thing applies equally on the surface. Also, you don't need a clentaminator to fix it, do you? That would certainly be faster, but wouldn't throwing holy water around still work just fine?

No. Holy Water turns the materials into Hallow equivalent. Hallow is negative when in regards to the corruption rating, but if your house itself is made of hallow blocks it's just as unlivable as corruption. No idea why.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Marble's fine (To be specific, the corruption/hallow V changes stone, sand, ice, and grass, and plants, as well as equivalent walls), but if you're underground or cavern you've essentially created a Marble biome, which means Medusa.

That said, it's possible that Smooth Marble doesn't create a biome. Not sure. It works that way with Ebonstone Bricks vs Ebonstone Blocks.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Supremezero posted:

Dirt itself is safe. But the vines growing off them will raise the corruption rating, if you get the corruption. And the stone itself is bad. Those houses will straight up become unlivable if they're hit by it.

Well that sucks. Would replacing everything with wood/living wood work? What's "safe" in terms of the Wall of Flesh's death effect?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well that sucks. Would replacing everything with wood/living wood work? What's "safe" in terms of the Wall of Flesh's death effect?

Wood's fine. It sounds absurd, since the corruption/hallow/crimson has their own trees, and you'd think that it'd convert your placed wood to it, but it doesn't.

Though even if it did, it wouldn't matter, since wood is safe regardless.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything that isn't stone, ice, dirt (with grass), or sand I think.

Edit: apparently silt is also converted to ebon/crim-sand if it is hit by the WoF death effect, so that's also not safe.

I'm not sure if mud is directly converted to dirt if hit during the death effect, but it can be converted to dirt by surrounding corruption or crimson afterwards, so I would also generally consider that unsafe, since if it is on the surface layer it can grow the corresponding grass if converted to dirt.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 13, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, well that's easy enough to do. Thanks folks!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You could also dig out a 4 block wide barrier tunnel around your entire base and then (optionally) fill it with something that can't be converted like wood or granite. If the corruption cuts through your base then you can probably root it out with a few stacks of purification powder from the Dryad.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Just don't worry about it. You'll get the clentaminator soon enough, and that can mass convert everything. I've taken a couple worlds into hardmode and never had any major problems.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bear in mind there's no penalty to having your base in Hallow, except running into tougher enemies once you're away from it. If you're seriously worried about corruption spread, just buy a hallow seed from the Dryad when hardmode starts and plant it in your base. You won't have to worry about corruption ever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick question: if my base/town/whatever is actually built underground branching off a living tree tunnel, will I be hosed if I enter hardmode and the biome change runs through my base? Should I be moving everything topside?

Unless you've built really deep or really far to one side, it's unlikely the hardmode corruption will reach it anytime soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Unless you've built really deep or really far to one side, it's unlikely the hardmode corruption will reach it anytime soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pretty much this. I haven't played since 1.1 and I've been moving really slow after defeating the wall of flesh on normal. The hardmode corruption did reach the center on my small world but I made it all the way past golem before it getting there.

At that point you're just ready for a new world because the current one has been gutted.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Last time I entered hardmode crimson was literally two-three screens to the right once I finished killing WoF a few times. Hallow was pretty far away. Not sure why, my base was pretty much at the center.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

omeg posted:

Last time I entered hardmode crimson was literally two-three screens to the right once I finished killing WoF a few times. Hallow was pretty far away. Not sure why, my base was pretty much at the center.

You must have killed WoF while it was very far to the left.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Supremezero posted:

Marble's fine (To be specific, the corruption/hallow V changes stone, sand, ice, and grass, and plants, as well as equivalent walls), but if you're underground or cavern you've essentially created a Marble biome, which means Medusa.

Isn't this irrelevant as long as the walls are all player placed?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Jabarto posted:

Isn't this irrelevant as long as the walls are all player placed?

Sure. If you never leave your house. Enemies wont' spawn in your house with walls, but it'll still be the Marble Biome outside your house due to the sheer size of your base, if you make it entirely out of marble.

Ariong posted:

You must have killed WoF while it was very far to the left.

That's not how it works. The location of the V is random.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Supremezero posted:

That's not how it works. The location of the V is random.

apparently it's random but determined at worldgen or something, because every time i reset the world and killed it again for the first time it spawned in the same (actually pretty OK) fashion.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I've been trying to get back into the swing of things with this game since the last time I played was in around 2011 or so. Spent the couple past days planning out how to make a keep with a set of village houses out in front of it. I just wish there was some way to get natural light into the lower parts of the courtyard without just making weird holes in the back wall.

The game's really lax when you don't have to focus so much on beating back rapidly-spreading crimson and unicorns.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Hardmode activated, wings purchased, a bunch of ore mined/fishingboxed, twins died once, titanium pick and almost enough for titanium armor. I think the progression is basically beat mechanical bosses -> hallowed armor -> beat plantera... but I'm kind of directionless. Is there anything I should be doing for items or just farming boss summoning mats and then grinding them until I can make the next tier?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Bluhman posted:

I've been trying to get back into the swing of things with this game since the last time I played was in around 2011 or so. Spent the couple past days planning out how to make a keep with a set of village houses out in front of it. I just wish there was some way to get natural light into the lower parts of the courtyard without just making weird holes in the back wall.

The game's really lax when you don't have to focus so much on beating back rapidly-spreading crimson and unicorns.

Have you tried using Iron/Lead/Shadewood fence to fill holes in the courtyard wall? It'll leave tiny holes but let as much light in as an open hole would.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Spergminer posted:

Have you tried using Iron/Lead/Shadewood fence to fill holes in the courtyard wall? It'll leave tiny holes but let as much light in as an open hole would.

Shadewood sounds like a plan perhaps - from what I see of samples of the different fences it looks the thickest. Thanks.

While I'm at it, got a good idea of what I should make the front gate out of (far right)? It's a set of 5 blocks hooked up to actuators and a switch, and I want it to look like a big metal portcullis. Naturally, fences would work great for that, but those are all background things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Supremezero posted:

Are you sure it's not just passing through the chest on the way to a statue, light, or trap? Or the door?

Yep, sure. Maybe it's chests overriding the statues.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything that is not sand (including sandstone and hardened sandstone), ice (but snow is safe), grass (except mushroom grass I think?), and stone. Note that corruption/crimson/hallow are stopped by dirt if they can't grow their grass on it. Silt on the path of the "V" is converted to altered sand, but otherwise safe as well.

Also note that player-created blocks are always fine. Sand and ice are not safe, but sandstone bricks and ice bricks are safe. Even blocks such as ebonstone bricks, pearlstone bricks, flesh blocks, demonite bricks, crimtane bricks, etc. are perfectly safe and they won't change the biome.

Supremezero posted:

That said, it's possible that Smooth Marble doesn't create a biome. Not sure. It works that way with Ebonstone Bricks vs Ebonstone Blocks.

Smooth marble and smooth granite is fine, in the same way that meteorite bricks don't spawn meteor heads. The only exception to that rule is snow bricks can create a snow biome; however they're still a safe construction material for housing.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Bluhman posted:

Shadewood sounds like a plan perhaps - from what I see of samples of the different fences it looks the thickest. Thanks.

While I'm at it, got a good idea of what I should make the front gate out of (far right)? It's a set of 5 blocks hooked up to actuators and a switch, and I want it to look like a big metal portcullis. Naturally, fences would work great for that, but those are all background things.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tall_Gate

This thing is really good for building houses where you can run around with mounts inside.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bluhman posted:

Glass Wall. Looks like windows. Or if it's used for the entire room, it more or less looks like open space.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Supremezero posted:

No. Holy Water turns the materials into Hallow equivalent. Hallow is negative when in regards to the corruption rating, but if your house itself is made of hallow blocks it's just as unlivable as corruption. No idea why.

What? No I've built several houses out of hallowed stone and not had any problem with them living inside.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

socialsecurity posted:

What? No I've built several houses out of hallowed stone and not had any problem with them living inside.

That's because (for more inane reasons) Pearlstone doesn't count for the whatever you want to call it (Hallowed Housebreaker? gently caress, I dunno). It's exclusive to Pink Ice, Pearlsand, and Hallowed Grass for some reason that makes no sense.

Terraria: Making No Sense and being Coded Like poo poo since May 16 2011.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 14, 2015

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I kind of stopped expecting anything hugely technically impressive from the game a few weeks back when someone raised the matter of the entire item database being implemented as a very, very long IF function.

Still love Terraria in general, but goddamn the game has its fair share of design flaws.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Enallyniv posted:

I kind of stopped expecting anything hugely technically impressive from the game a few weeks back when someone raised the matter of the entire item database being implemented as a very, very long IF function.

Still love Terraria in general, but goddamn the game has its fair share of design flaws.

The Portal Gun should have been technically impressive. Being the portal gun and all.

Except that it turned out to work on nothing but your character. No enemies, no attacks, just movement. Boring!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

It's technically impressive that it works and is being updated :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey, I'm sitting pretty in Hardcore pre-mechanical bosses and I'm looking to try out a mage build. I was wondering, aside from Mage-hat titanium/adamantium armor what should I look for? I already have Laser Rifle and Shadowflame Hex Doll, if they're any good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crystal Storm and Golden Shower are both very solid spells for this stage, and craftable (the latter only in Crimson worlds). You'll also want to get hold of a Nimbus Rod during the rain.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Laser rifle is easy to hit with but sadly is pretty weak and mana inefficient. You can get a lot of great magic weapons in hardcore without ever killing a boss.

Fish in the hallow to catch a Crystal Serpent, it's a great magic weapon.

Hunt normal mimics and get a Magic Dagger from one. It looks visually unimpressive until you see the damage numbers start to fly.

If your world has crimson, rescue the wizard and make the ichor spell, and hunt crimson mimics for Life Drain, they're both excellent on enemy clusters, including worm enemies like The Destroyer.

Kill those grumpy-faced super-mario-enemy clouds during a rainstorm to get a Nimbus Rod.

You've already got shadowflame hex, which is excellent.

Know where a spider biome is? Go murder the Black Recluse spiders there until one drops a Poison staff. It pierces, is very strong against high-defense enemies, has a spreadshot so it's easy to hit with, and can be upgraded later into an even better staff. If you only get one weapon on this list, get this one.

Make mana regen potions, they're cheap, last for a whole boss fight, and give you heaps and heaps of ammo.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Spergminer posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tall_Gate

This thing is really good for building houses where you can run around with mounts inside.

The front gate of the actual indoor keep uses one of these. I opted against it because it's actually very bad when it comes to bloodmoon or (as pictured) a goblin army or any related event like that, because the door's just as easy as a normal one to bust open.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Doorchat means it's a good reason to post an upgraded version of my base! Going into hardmode I found that the previous, open plan design was a deathtrap for npcs, so I joined the merchants stalls together and made the two end walls and the roof of the wizards room into actuated stone slabs, with player-only pressure plates. The bigass tree contains teleporters and my elevated railway, but I'm still too lazy to give it leaves and branches, oh well.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

your base owns and im definitely gonna use some of those techniques to make my lovely one look better, I used a lot of marble for one section but it's mostly plain and bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Davoren posted:

Doorchat means it's a good reason to post an upgraded version of my base! Going into hardmode I found that the previous, open plan design was a deathtrap for npcs, so I joined the merchants stalls together and made the two end walls and the roof of the wizards room into actuated stone slabs, with player-only pressure plates. The bigass tree contains teleporters and my elevated railway, but I'm still too lazy to give it leaves and branches, oh well.

OBJECTION! Those two little rooms over on the far right in the underground section use normal doors! That's unacceptable!