Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fknlo posted:

I'm constantly out of nanites when I play medic.
A minute of silence in memory of the glorious times when you could stockpile 40 revive nades, burn them all in 15 minutes at a 96+ tower siege and make approximately 8126812417294781 certs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Meanwhile, in Terran airspace..

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
So is the extra AP damage from upgrading to the supernova FPC worth it? The default magrider primary seems to do quite a bit of damage to armor as it is so I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I would love to kill sunderers faster though, I don't usually bother shooting at infantry with the supernova PC unless they're all grouped up. Then it's farming time :getin:

After buying the magburner and a saron for my gunner I'm having a lot more success in this thing though, even if my gunner is usually getting 10x more kills than I am, haha. Tons of fun magburning right over an enemy tank to blast them in the rear (homo)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zeldadude posted:

So is the extra AP damage from upgrading to the supernova FPC worth it? The default magrider primary seems to do quite a bit of damage to armor as it is so I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I would love to kill sunderers faster though, I don't usually bother shooting at infantry with the supernova PC unless they're all grouped up. Then it's farming time :getin:

A general rule of thumb is that AP takes one less shot to kill than it's equivalent HEAT, and HE takes one more for most vehicle targets.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Keeshhound posted:

A general rule of thumb is that AP takes one less shot to kill than it's equivalent HEAT, and HE takes one more for most vehicle targets.

Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound like it's very worth it, since I'll be giving up the ability to kill infantry for the most part... Maybe I'll try to hop on PC to test it in the VR. Cheers!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Depends on the fight you expect. If you're wrecking infantry then the HEAT will do fine, but if you run into any other AP MBT then that one less shot is the one that will put you in the ground.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, if you've got a gunner you trust, running full AP will let you mulch other tanks. Keep in mind that one less shot is only if you're just shooting the main cannon. Add in the damage from an anti-armor top gun, and you can melt an unsuspecting MBT before they even have the chance to react. Stealth is a must for that plan.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
the FPC will still one-shot infantry on a direct hit. if you're doing AV work, I'd definitely cert into it; the mag needs all the DPS help it can get vs prowlers and vanguards. also yes, stealth.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, if you've got a gunner you trust, running full AP will let you mulch other tanks. Keep in mind that one less shot is only if you're just shooting the main cannon. Add in the damage from an anti-armor top gun, and you can melt an unsuspecting MBT before they even have the chance to react. Stealth is a must for that plan.

Definitely gonna buy it now. I have a saron so I should melt poo poo with that and the FPC. Looking forward to wrecking some vanguards, as it seems like all the NC know how to do on ps4 is armor zerg.

I've been running rank 2 mine guard but stealth definitely seems better for this playstyle. I'm guessing thermal would be best for the saron to help spot C4 faeries in the trees, and maybe zoom for the FPC? Also, racer or rival chassis (I'm guessing rival for the extra strafing speed)? Thanks again guys.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

zeldadude posted:

Definitely gonna buy it now. I have a saron so I should melt poo poo with that and the FPC. Looking forward to wrecking some vanguards, as it seems like all the NC know how to do on ps4 is armor zerg.

It's not much different on PC and for any other faction.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zeldadude posted:

I've been running rank 2 mine guard but stealth definitely seems better for this playstyle. I'm guessing thermal would be best for the saron to help spot C4 faeries in the trees, and maybe zoom for the FPC? Also, racer or rival chassis (I'm guessing rival for the extra strafing speed)? Thanks again guys.

I can't help you too much there since I roll NC, but if Rival does affect the Magrider's strafe speed, I'd give it some real consideration. Top gun optics are more a question of what your gunner wants if you're communicating with them, otherwise thermals are usually a solid choice since they let you see through smoke (which there tends to be a lot of in vehicle fights.)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

zeldadude posted:

Never, EVER take a Vanguard head-on. Ambush them or find another tank to back you up.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Tanking rule of thumb: ALWAYS run AP (or in this case FPC) unless you're trying to get Auraxiums or something. Since the nerfs, the splash on HEAT is bad for infantry and you basically need to direct hit anyway, and you gimp yourself against vehicles. AP + Saron is a sundyfucker, Halberd is a little better for infantry without losing hardly any AV killing speed. Saron is not good for C4 fairies, but it has amazing close range burst damage on vehicles.
Rival chassis DOES make you strafe faster and you should use it. It can easily make or break tank v tank fights, which is a big deal when you have lower effective damage output than the other MBTs.
Run Stealth for ambush attacks and escaping.
I like Thermal or 1.75x zoom at most, Thermal on topguns. You shouldn't be shooting that far in a Mag unless you're sniping a deployed bus, in which case you can afford to adjust your aim without too much pressure, so zoom isn't entirely necessary.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The rough roadmap for the August update was posted here.

Interestingly it sounds like they're trying to push out the new ES MBT/Harasser weapons this month. Also a new NS launcher that sounds a lot like the Striker.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
It is NOT a Striker, despite the description sounding like it. Its a standard lock-on.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sounds like it's what the Striker was before it was changed in to its current state.

Edit: I guess the description is vague enough to where it could be anything in between.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Horizontal Tree posted:

It is NOT a Striker, despite the description sounding like it. Its a standard lock-on.

I think we only need to answer one real question - is this a potential road to kraken that can bypass the annihilator? Or do we still need to buy gold decimators?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
From what I understand, yes, its like the original Striker. Locks once, shoots multiple slow missiles with a long track time. If its the original Striker brokenness all over again... the games gonna lose a lot of players overnight.
As Mustarde points out though, it means no more Annihilator Aurax... though its still probably gonna be lock-on only. We shall see.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I really hope that the vehicle turret is a Vanu Vulcan.

Who am I kidding it's going to have a loving charge mechanic. :negative:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

sitchelin posted:

I bet they find ANOTHER way to put a shotgun on the NC harasser

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This speculation is pointless, because we all know that they're going to release a bunch of horribly imbalanced poo poo, then simultaneously overnerf and underbuff for at least five patches, until they finally get something close to balanced and say "eh, good enough."

What I'm saying is, don't buy anything unless you've got too many loving certs.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Evilreaver posted:

I bet they find ANOTHER way to put a shotgun on the NC harasser

I'd say that was a bad thing, but the Canister is actually GOOD. At least on a harasser. Just drown us in shotguns.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gaghskull posted:

I'd say that was a bad thing, but the Canister is actually GOOD. At least on a harasser. Just drown us in shotguns.

Remember, it took two loving years for that to get to be the case.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If the AV Shotgun is just "The Canister, but it hurts tanks" it'll be really good. The Canister is pretty boss at killing Harassers as is.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

sitchelin posted:

It's supposed to occupy the same niche as the vulcan, being a close-range high-damage secondary. The NC are getting one too. The TR are getting a quad fracture, which will be hilarious because fractures are junk.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The new NC weapon is a railgun that fires shotguns.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The NC need a Galaxy mounted shotgun that fires cannister harassers.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
http://ps2alerts.com/alert/11193

How are these numbers even possible? :stonklol:

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
the farm was real, at least for VS

E: lol VS got like 16k kills, TR got 5k, poor TR

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

407 kills is certainly a number, especially given it looks like he did it with a flare only.
Im not convinced he is legitimate looking at his DA stats page.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Polyakov posted:

407 kills is certainly a number, especially given it looks like he did it with a flare only.
Im not convinced he is legitimate looking at his DA stats page.

There is no hacking in Planetside 2.

Stop spreading filthy lies.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

At least they aren't just shuffling poo poo under the rug like last time, announcing overshield nerfs and then never saying another word even a single time.

Now they're not only not nerfing anything, they're giving all HAs the most broken launcher the game has ever known back?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Keeshhound posted:

This speculation is pointless, because we all know that they're going to release a bunch of horribly imbalanced poo poo, then simultaneously overnerf and underbuff for at least five patches, until they finally get something close to balanced and say "eh, good enough."

What I'm saying is, don't buy anything unless you've got too many loving certs.

The last couple of new weapons they released - Blackhand and Archer - were both useful and balanced right out of the gate.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Because it's not hard to make a balanced weapon for ALL factions. When they try to add faction flavor and keep it balanced, that's when they gently caress it all up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

But Not Tonight posted:

Because it's not hard to make a balanced weapon for ALL factions. When they try to add faction flavor and keep it balanced, that's when they gently caress it all up.

Using the archer is hard because I'm not used to accounting for bullet drop.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Using the archer is hard because I'm not used to accounting for bullet drop.

Vanu privilege up ins

But yeah, DBG has thrown in the towel for faction flavor because that poo poo doesn't work.

NC - Gets something amazing.
TR - Gets a 845+ RoF killmachine that will go unappreciated.
VS - Will get a TR gun but with less ammo and RoF.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

Those accuracy/HS stats are way to loving consistent for guns with very different recoil stats and the fact that the flare with only 400 kills has almost the exact same stats as a 1300 kill gun means that poo poo is mechanical.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Epic High Five posted:

At least they aren't just shuffling poo poo under the rug like last time, announcing overshield nerfs and then never saying another word even a single time.

Now they're not only not nerfing anything, they're giving all HAs the most broken launcher the game has ever known back?

To be fair it was only broken because it went through terrain. It probably isn't going to do that now and will thus be complete rear end, just like the second gen TR striker.

sitchelin posted:

But yeah, DBG has thrown in the towel for faction flavor because that poo poo doesn't work.

NC - Gets something amazing.
TR - Gets a 845+ RoF killmachine that will go unappreciated.
VS - Will get a TR gun but with less ammo and RoF.

It's more that it's just less work to make one weapon than three.

In fact I'd bet the NS weapons sell more, because you get them on all three factions.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

sitchelin posted:

If they'd at least continue working in the vein of the Lasher and let Vanu have the psychological advantage. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Mustarde posted:

I think we only need to answer one real question - is this a potential road to kraken that can bypass the annihilator? Or do we still need to buy gold decimators?

If you're going to suffer a an annihilator, might as well use the gold one. :whatup:

Gold/black decimator is the only sane path unless you did the lancer/phoenix/striker.

• Locked thread